GotG Box Set Reactions

greenlucario

Now that these are out I was wondering what everyone thought of the set now that it's in hand. I know that I had a pretty negative opinion at first about this set, but now not so much. There were definitley things taht could have been handled better about it, but also there were good things here too. Here's my figure by figure breakdown.

Star-Lord: 9/10 (Overall rating for both SDCC and this version)

Not a lot to say here that hasn't been said. I was a major fan of the SDCC one and this is a re-release with a different paint job. I have to say that I still prefer the SDCC version with the darker uniform. The new guns are in a bluish plastic that just looks weird too. I do like the new lower leg paint job because it follows the DnA comics better but that's a small thing. Still prefer the old one.

Rocket: 7/10 (Overall rating for both versions)

After three times of releasing this figure I've gotten sick of this particular Rocket mold. It's a new head and a new paint job for the body to match the Star-Lord we have in this set. Basically, if you like the old Star-Lord you'll probably like the paint scheme on the older Rocket, despite some difference in details. The nice thing though is that you can just swap the head and tail onto the older body if you prefer the new sculpt and paint but the old body. I still think the first Rocket is the most like DnA's GotG so I'm not too impressed with the new headsculpt.

Drax: 6/10 (8/10 with swaps)

This was the figure I was the most torn about, I liked the first Drax, sure he was a little small but he channeled the Annhilation vibe and that was what I was (and I'm sure many collectors were) looking for. This time for some odd reason Hasbro decided to mix modern and DnA Guardians in one set? Why, is still beyond me, but Drax does have an upside to him. Swappable hands and removable gauntlets almost make the figure perfect. Then I swapped the first Drax head onto the body, and depsite being somewhat small, it looks one heck of a lot better than another Luke Cage/Radioactive Man head. Lastly gave him the original Drax's knives which look so much better than Warpath's knives being reused. I'm usually all for reuse, but that's if it works. Warpath's knives are his and they really don't look good with Drax, because all I can see is Drax looking like he stole Warpath's knives (which is kind of funny). To make a long story short if you have both Drax figures a short and easy swap will make this Drax nearly perfect. He just needs a little customization on his legs and lower torso, a quick paint job really and he'll look like he came right out of DnA's GotG as well.

Groot: 8/10

Like Drax this one was rather odd in execution. For a set that seemed to be all about the now classic DnA GotG Groot was looking all too modern. Looking back on it, it's clear this was done simply to save a buck and reuse the old body without sculpting the blue and red uniform over it, but I'm still sorry they didn't go that route. Overall though, the new headsculpt is awesome! And let's face it that makes this figure. Although I'd have preferred him in uniform Groot is definitely comic book oriented enough to make him a great figure, much better than I had thought originally.

Gamora: 10/10

And here it is, the best, worst, or craziest figure in the set depending on who you ask. I was reading on a different site where someone was actually angry that Hasbro had reused Moonstone in her entirety for this figure. To be honest I'm not sure why that would be a problem in the slightest. It's a dynamite headsculpt on the perfect body for Gamora (and most female MLs by the way). But hey everyone's entitled to their opinion. Gamora is almost perfect, almost. The new headsculpt with the hood is awesome, but I'm still partial to the un-hooded version. My only problem is why in the world would Hasbro use the paint scheme they did on her? Let me elaborate. Groot and Drax, though modern in some ways can be substituted for their DnA GotG versions, then they line up really nice with Star-Lord and Rocket. But Gamora is sporting her Annihilation look. It's the same costume, but very different colors. And unlike Drax it's a bit more of a challenging repaint for the average customizer. She is an awesome figure don't get me wrong, and along with Groot and the new Drax is worth the price of admission, but all Hasbro had to do was pay attention and paint the same costume (no sculpting) in different colors, a bit disappointing upon realization. Despite my own gripes this figure really is a perfect Gamora in all the ways that count.

Overall: 8/10

This boxset is amazing for so many different reasons. For those that have been holding out on a comic GotG for any of a number of reasons here you have two BAFs, one exclusive, and an early RoML figure re-released and packaged together with a brand new, never released comic character. The other thing I didn't get to mention is all the accessories. They are perfect. So many guns, knives, hands, heads, a cosmic cube, and a "Baby" Groot it really does feel like a complete set. For those with the original releases, it may feel like a let down but there is a lot going for most of the figures to make this worth your while. Personally I wish this set was better aligned with the DnA GoTG, which would also give me more hope to see Adam Warlock, Quasar (Phyla), and Mantis released to complete the core roster. Basically, don't pass this one up.

Its really a great set...what knocks the 2 points is the fact that these figures have been released in some way already and only 1 figure is really new. If this box set was released last year it would have been a perfect 10. I cant deny how awesome of a set it is...but it does loose a couple points because of the fact that its late and are mostly redo's.

Yeah, it does kind of suffer from all the redos. I waited awhile to order it because I couldn't get over the re-released Star-Lord from the Thanos Imperative. But Gamora and Groot definitely changed my mind. Plus with those mods I made to Drax he's rather good, not perfect but he works well.

My biggest gripe with the Moonstone mold is how unarticulated it is in the hip/upper leg. It's acceptable for characters that don't necessarily require a lot of dynamic posing (Rogue, Moonstone, Ms. Marvel), but when you slab it on a martial artist or a superheroine with advanced fighting combat skills, the mold would need some dremmeling to be of any use to me. And then you risk ruining the one figure you really wanted from the wave lol.

Regardless, I still bought the set but only because I sold my ugly MCU Guardians set and used that money to go into this one. Would rather have a comic display than movie display.

I agree with the first post. The Gamora figure is totally worth it. I just received my figures and the rest were okay, but Gamora nails it. I tend to support an female characters that Hasbro does to help encourage more female MLs. I removed her hard cape and just put one of her arm holes around her neck and she looks great.

• 2 weeks later...