Do you guys black wash your Legends?

Heisenberg

My main problem with the line is the lack of paint detail.

Is it basically as simple as buying a small brush and some black acrylic paint and going to town? Am I missing any important steps?

I was thinking of doing this to Blades legs since they look like cheap plastic. I gave him the Netflix Punisher jacket as well. Would maybe a gun metal dry wash look good on the jacket? I am basically just trying to bring the figures to life a bit.

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. 90 percent of what people consider "superior paint app" from Toybiz is actually just a wash, whether it be black or just a darker color than the base it's being applied to. It does make a figure look better for sure. Just get some flat black paint or any color of your choosing. Example; orange is good over yellow, brown is good over orange or red, light blue over white, etc. If your using acrylic you can just use a little paint thinner but mostly distilled water to give it the consistency that will run into the cracks and details of the figure. Have a wet and dry towel at the ready. Once you apply the paint let it settle a few seconds then wipe it away with the dry towel to get as much of it of the raised surfaces as possible. Then go back over with the wet towel. Keep in mind the harder you press the more paint you'll dig out of the crevasses. Also keep in mind the differences of the surfaces you're working with. For example the details in Mysterio's suit will be harder to remove than say the musculature lines on Daredevil's legs, quite simply because it's easier to dig it out of the areas. I suggest practicing on an unwanted figure first, maybe some ML from the Dark Days as they have terribly deep detail lines & it would help you understand how & where the paint falls, but most importantly, what consistency of the paint you prefer to work with. Personally I like my paint very thin so it seeps into every little cranny before wiping away most of the paint, but some people like it thicker paint with a lighter wiping with the rag to make darker & bolder shading. Now, dry brush is a whole other animal, but that's talk for another time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Monron999 could you talk about your dry brush practice? The wash overview was very helpful.

Its not at all like drawing in your comic book. Its making a custom figure that meets your expectations of what that character should be. Plus, some people enjoy painting.

• 3 months later...

I keep kicking around the idea of doing it, but haven't yet. I think the Hasbro Legends have their own charm, while having a very basic paint job. Back in the day, Toy Biz went overboard with articulation, but also paint apps. I have been worried about painting them, because I am scared that it would make it look like they have the Toy Biz clunkiness.

But, that wash on the new Walgreens Thing looks amazing. So, now I am torn.