How would you feel about chase variants?

Heisenberg

It seems to work for Hot Wheels, Funko and many others very well.

So, like every 1 in 3 cases would have a chase variant instead of the double packed figure. Off the top of my head Cyclops in his jacket with an alternative head wearing sun glasses or from the last X wave a battle mode Rogue with wings and bone claws or something of that nature.

P.S Speaking of figures with crazy price tags on the secondary market. I think the Walgreen's Invisible Woman might go for around $200 dollars when the dust has cleared on ebay. There is only one of her on there but they must know she will be $20 to $30 bucks in a couple months.....maybe $11 a month or two after that. Is it just stupid rich people who don't want to wait?

Ahhhh Variants lol what a love/hate relationship they can be. Now "Variants" I can get behind and that's partly due to me being masochsitic and partly due to the fact that I just genuinely love the idea. Needless to say, im much more behind variants when they are actually well executed and damn did ToyBiz torture me sooooo good lol.

I think the best Legends variant was the Beta Ray Bill from TB Seres 16 Modok Wave and man did they go out with a bang! Not only did 5/6 figs from that wave have variants but the Beta Ray Bill variant was freaking DESTROYER!!!

Now "chase" figures...not so much. Series 5 Red Skull anybody? Xmen Classics Bobby Drake Iceman anybody? FF Classics clear Sue Storm anybody? Good god those were just beyond ridiculous to chase down with those damn awful case ratio equations... I do NOT want to see a return of chase figs lol.

Cobra! Beta Ray Bill was the one without the variant. Destroyer was the variant of Thorbuster Iron Man. I think you know that but got mixed up in the telling.

Speaking of, I was THRILLED with that MODOK wave, because I found ALL of the variants in an upstock of the Toys R Us shelf, above the pegs where the standard versions were hanging. I must have spent over $200 that day on all of them. I don't know how I had all that money just ready to spend back then, I certainly don't now! I think I skipped the Moon Knight variant because he wasn't different enough. But I definitely picked up Julia Carpenter, Genis-Vell, Destroyer and Red Wasp. Blue Wasp was one I was mad never got real release. Don't only like 5 exist out there or some craziness? And there are up arrows and down arrows on the boots on certain ones of the five? Some mess like that.

I do NOT miss the idea of chase variants anymore, and agree, the scalper market was built on that foundation and it's hard enough to just collect a basic wave without ordering a case online these days. I prefer a good alternate head or multiple alternate parts to give my purchase more display variables, and let me tailor my collection to my own preferences or style rather than need to buy two versions of the same figure to get one that has a different head, or is unmasked.

I feel like I get more value for my money if they release one figure that can be a different character with ONLY a head swap (like, say, Rachel Grey on a Phoenix body, or the upcoming Magus/Adam Warlock figure), and in today's economy, we should feel like we get value for our purchase! It will probably still make me buy two, to have both characters... but... I think I'm arguing against my own point. It's late. I'm tired.

Yeah lol I completely pooped the bed with Beta Ray...I don't know he was stuck in my mind for some reason. Also, me and my buddies had the exact same experience at a local TRU lol! We went to the aisle and saw there was 15 (yes literally 15) cases of Modok wave on the top-stock riser above the aisle. My buddy climbed the shelving like a spider monkey and just pushed ALL of the cases (thank you TB clamshell packaging!) to the ground lol sounded like a car crash. An employee walked over to us moments later with the craziest look on his face and just said "are you guys ok?" We were already knew deep in cutting the tops of the boxes open with our car keys and just looked up at him and said "yes, yes we are" The guy waited a second or two and then just walked away lol.

Long story short, we all had the whole wave and more than enough variants lol and my buddy Joe literally bought EVERY Destroyer figure and proceeded to later sell them like wildfire on eBay for about $40-45 each (this was of course when Legends were like $8...) Ahhh...good times, good times.

By far the most money I've ever spent on Legends in a single day was when the Walmart Giant Man wave landed. Just got done working the overnight shift at Target with a buddy and we hit up a Walmart on the way home at like 7am. They were literally wheeling out the 4-sided PDQ shipper pallet to the floor as were walking to the toy section. Between the AOA Wolverine and stupid 3-4 Sentry Variants, I'm pretty sure that wave was around 15-16 figures lol. The Face-Off 2 packs also landed at the same time and they all 3 packs of wave 1 plus the 3 variant packs. I'm pretty sure this was when Icons were just landing too as I remember buying several of those as well plus the variants. All told, I don't remember the cost but between me and my buddy, it was literally 2 FULL shopping carts worth of figs lol.

What's crazy about that is back then, Legends were like $8 each ($7.44 at Walmart), Face-Offs were $15 and Icons were $15...if I found this exact same haul of figures, but with TODAYS pricing...I shutter to think what the cost would be since single carded figs are $20, 2-packs are $40 and Icons are just ridiculous at $50.

All in all, just like DSmith said, there's no denying that (since figs are now $20 each) we are getting a much better value now with alt heads and the like included in the package (which was a TB variant staple back in the day for ex) and there's really no reason for them to revisit "Variants" as a result.

BUT...I still love the "idea" of actual variants so I'd be lying if i said I didn't miss them lol. True "chase" variants though (like the ones you weren't even guranteed to get even if you were opening 3-5 boxes at once-sometimes being a variant of a variant and in rare cases...of a variant), much like I mentioned in my previous post (Bobby Drake Iceman I'll see you in hell!) are something i absolutely DO NOT MISS.

No Thanks, I like how Hasbro is handling things right now. I prefer head swaps to make different figures and how they handled Odin/King Thor BAFs as well as Onslaught/Red Skull.I hated not finding these in stores back when Return of Marvel Legends started up and only finding certain figures on EBay real high priced.

Cobra it IS crazy to think of costs back then... I almost don't believe it, but your costs nostalgically sound correct. I ultimately think I caved for Bobby Drake Iceman and spent something like $65 on eBay for him (HAD to have him!!!) but I imagine now he'd be going for $300+, I just really don't want to investigate that right now. But what a different world for what you got in a case, for the cost comparing then to now.

Ant-Man

Captain Britain

Havok

Kitty Pryde

Ms. Marvel

Sabretooth (AOA)

Sentry (gold bearded)

Sentry (gold shaven)

Sentry (yellow bearded)

Sentry (yellow shaven)

Thor

Wolverine (AOA normal head)

Wolverine (AOA scarred head)

Face-Off Captain America/Baron Strucker

Face-Off Captain America/Red Skull

Face-Off Daredevil/Kingpin (black)

Face-Off Daredevil/Kingpin (white)

Face-Off Hulk/Leader (bubbly head)

Face-Off Hulk/Leader (tall head)

SO MUCH STUFF!!!

Lol that's what she's going for? Yeah I'm good finding her for $20 when I pick up some smokes and a Monster at Walgreens...

I saw her go four about $200 lol. It was the only one on Ebay but still we gotta be getting close to seeing her at stores.