Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Why don't people like the new Thing?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

I think it looks awesome. 

#2 tarot

tarot

Faker

• Moderators
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

Most are generally Genwummer of Marvel Legends. Everything TB did is god like and everything Hasbro does is #$@#.

Another reason is they don't like his growl. Except for the fact he has 2 head!!! one is growling (which I think would look great for action shots) and another head we haven't even say. 

then their the Select Thing, which is waaaaaay too large for ML.

personally I think it's the best looking thing ever.

#3 Rukkdeez

Rukkdeez

Cardassian

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Most are generally Genwummer of Marvel Legends. Everything TB did is god like and everything Hasbro does is #$@#.

Another reason is they don't like his growl. Except for the fact he has 2 head!!! one is growling (which I think would look great for action shots) and another head we haven't even say. 

Waitaminute! There are pics of the Thing figure?!?! Where  who? You're absolutely correct about the attitude toward Toybiz vs Hasbro. It's just like the "who's better, yesteryear players vs current. The thing with Hasbro is we can see the obvious improvements anatomically as well as facially on both Marvel and MCU figures, and are light years ahead of anything Toybiz ever did (and with the exception of the Blue wasp, I have every Toybiz figure so I would know). The one thing TB still has (and most likely always will) are their washes on the paint apps. Other than that, now that we have stuff to compare with, the Toybiz stuff (for the most part) is downright ugly. It's the main reason I abandoned my "no redos" campaign.

#4 monron999

monron999

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

I dunno. It's weird. It looks good. Sculpt is good, looks to be of somewhat accurate proportions, two heads. Not sure, something just isn't right. Oh yeah, in the attempt to make it look more realistic, it ended up looking nothing like the thing.

#5 MCUcollector24

MCUcollector24

Andorian

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:12 AM

Waitaminute! There are pics of the Thing figure?!?! Where  who? You're absolutely correct about the attitude toward Toybiz vs Hasbro. It's just like the "who's better, yesteryear players vs current. The thing with Hasbro is we can see the obvious improvements anatomically as well as facially on both Marvel and MCU figures, and are light years ahead of anything Toybiz ever did (and with the exception of the Blue wasp, I have every Toybiz figure so I would know). The one thing TB still has (and most likely always will) are their washes on the paint apps. Other than that, now that we have stuff to compare with, the Toybiz stuff (for the most part) is downright ugly. It's the main reason I abandoned my "no redos" campaign.
https://instagram.com/p/BfUoSNJnnWh/

05943DC6-F474-4CE0-89C3-79AF111243F1_zps

#6 Rukkdeez

Rukkdeez

Cardassian

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Mc U, but we've all seen this. Peeps on this thread are talking like there are photos of the actual product out there. I see there aren't and these "people" who "don't like" this iteration of the Thing (once again) are ML collectors who just have to complain about something.....yet will make sure they have theirs. No photos, no Hi Res images....and people "don't like" the Thing?!?!!? To any this applies to; COME ON people! How many times have we seen a product shot like this one and went crazy thinking "that figure is gonna be awesome", only to find it kinda isn't? Oh I get it, we're doing it in reverse so THIS time, we'll be pleasantly surprised. Geez. I love my ML community but I gotta tell ya, some of us are just plain ridiculous.

Of course I could be completely mistaken and this is a case of "fake news". Someone just putting it out there that "people don't like this version of the Thing"  (I have to admit, this is the 1st I've heard of it) just to stir some S#!t!

#7 Dodge76

Dodge76

Romulan

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

I can't wait to get him!

#8 monron999

monron999

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

Thanks Mc U, but we've all seen this. Peeps on this thread are talking like there are photos of the actual product out there. I see there aren't and these "people" who "don't like" this iteration of the Thing (once again) are ML collectors who just have to complain about something.....yet will make sure they have theirs. No photos, no Hi Res images....and people "don't like" the Thing?!?!!? To any this applies to; COME ON people! How many times have we seen a product shot like this one and went crazy thinking "that figure is gonna be awesome", only to find it kinda isn't? Oh I get it, we're doing it in reverse so THIS time, we'll be pleasantly surprised. Geez. I love my ML community but I gotta tell ya, some of us are just plain ridiculous.

Of course I could be completely mistaken and this is a case of "fake news". Someone just putting it out there that "people don't like this version of the Thing"  (I have to admit, this is the 1st I've heard of it) just to stir some S#!t!

I will also chime in that I've never heard of anyone outright hating it. Even I don't hate it and I hate everything. Not really, but I really, really hate the Sasquatch BAF (size rather than sculpt) and my faith in Hasbro's ability to outdo anything TB did has truly been shaken. I mean it's unacceptable that the older figure is actually taller than the new one & I'm never gonna get over that. Score that one for TB, so it wouldn't really surprise me if Hasbro managed to screw this one up as well.

As I said, I don't really hate it, it's just a bit underwhelming for something we've all been waiting for so long. First off, though the sculpt is very detailed, it's very reminiscent of the figure from the one in the Ronan wave from the dark days of ML. I'm not sure why Hasbro's so intent on making the rocks of his body so prominent & realistic & "lumpy", but it's actually too detailed (I can't believe I'm actually framing that as a complaint). Very few artists actually portray him in this way and I don't recall anyone doing so in recent times. Honestly, the effort is much appreciated, but it looks nothing like the source material. It resembles the movie Thing more so than the comic Thing. The Thing is more like smooth stone with cracks in it rather than a pile if rocks arranged in a humanoid form. Both Thing figures from Toybiz's FF Classics line (Byrne style or modern) were artistically correct, if maybe a bit on the large side. The Marvel Select version was dead on, but definitely on the much to large side. I know Hasbro likes to distinguish it's figures from anything Toybiz did & the creative team is very proud to outdo TB on every opportunity, but this one ain't gonna do it. Now, to be clear, I will get it (as a matter of fact, I'll most likely get multiples), and I'm sure I'll like it just fine and I'm sure it will be head & shoulders better than the first attempt, buuuut.....it ain't the Thing as I know him. That's all I'm saying. On the bright side, they cannot screw it up worse than they did Sasquatch.

Or can they?

Attached Files

#9 nieman257

nieman257

Andorian

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

To chime in, I actually liked the Ronan thing...for what it was. His head was too small. The best one to me would've been the TB one, but his proportions were off.

I can see why people might not like it, since it isn't really a true representation of classic Thing. But people are and should be allowed to have their favorites, whether it be TB or these new HB. hell, there are a few that I don't think Hasbro could ever outdo (Beast, Doc Ock, Kingpin). So for those, I'd stick to my TB ones. But let's wait until final pictures before truly judging.

#10 Rukkdeez

Rukkdeez

Cardassian

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

To chime in, I actually liked the Ronan thing...for what it was. His head was too small. The best one to me would've been the TB one, but his proportions were off.

I can see why people might not like it, since it isn't really a true representation of classic Thing. But people are and should be allowed to have their favorites, whether it be TB or these new HB. hell, there are a few that I don't think Hasbro could ever outdo (Beast, Doc Ock, Kingpin). So for those, I'd stick to my TB ones. But let's wait until final pictures before truly judging.

My point exactly. This is similar to what happened on another "forum". The guy in question stated he felt the Thanos BAF should be bigger (yeah we haven't heard that one before) and that he didn't think the Proxima Midnight figure scaled properly. I was like "did you get invited to an early private screening of the movie"? Because that would be the only way he could possibly know if she scaled correctly with Thanos. Someone else who agreed with him told me "thank you, but I'll reserve judgement for myself". That's all well and good, except for one thing; HE HAS NOTHING TO BASE A JUDGEMENT ON! The movie isn't out yet (the new trailer came out today so maybe there's a better reference of Proxima there). It's yet another example of 1-The "Bigger is Better" posse's motto of "Accuracy be damned" in full effect, and 2-Marvel Legends collectors simply need something to complain about. Why this is, I don't know. Nieman is right. Let's wait until the figure comes out (or at least until we get some hi res pics)

#11 KiloinNorcal

KiloinNorcal

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

I like it..

#12 greenlucario

greenlucario

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I like it.  About the only part of the ToyBiz series 2 version I like better is the head sculpt, but I'm sure that the second one will skew in that direction.  And if not, who cares, this Thing looks great and has all the right articulation and fists, that should be enough for anyone.

#13 eronel55

eronel55

Cobra Soldier

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:49 AM

crazy about the upcoming walgreens thing - i cant wait to get him

#14 shatonamime

shatonamime

Andorian

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

I have no problem with it at all. I do wonder what the second head looks like, but otherwise I think it looks really nice.

#15 monron999

monron999

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:51 PM

Wow, I was totally wrong about this one. The press image of the figure was horrible and taken at an awkward angle. Made it look funny, to me at least. The in package pics are great. The figure looks much better from the straight forward view. The second head is almost dead on. We need this figure ASAP.

#16 doubleD

doubleD

Cobra Soldier

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Just glad he doesn't have that dumbass upper thigh T joint they sometimes put on larger figures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us