Figures you would recommend for a new collector

PeterPalmer

hey guys I'm new here but I've actually been reading these forums and watching you tubers reviews for about a year now got into action figure collecting through comics mostly and i was drawn to marvel legends i got my first wave of figures with the recently released space venom wave but i have other 3.75 figures that i bought randomly (which now 3.75 figures suck and are more expensive so..) i was wondering what figures you guys would recommend for a newbie to figures in general but mainly marvel legends? I'm kinda on a tight budget (I'm only 14) so i can't go out and buy too many figures cus i know how expensive the old ones can be. , thanks guys!

the advice I always give is

1. Pick a character / Team you want to have. i.e. Spider-man or the X-men
  2. Try and get the character, supporting/allies/villains, associated to character or team i.e. Spider-man - Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Miles Morales, etc. and X-men - Magneto, Brotherhood of Evil mutants.
  3. Try and get at least one version of a character before moving onto waredrobe building (IE Iron Man armors). for the WBuilding then try and get the latest version of the costume, Classic Spidey = Pizza Spidey.
  4. If you like a figure then just buy it. alot of the time they become harder to get.
  5. Have Fun Collecting

the advice I always give is

1. Pick a character / Team you want to have. i.e. Spider-man or the X-men
  2. Try and get the character, supporting/allies/villains, associated to character or team i.e. Spider-man - Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Miles Morales, etc. and X-men - Magneto, Brotherhood of Evil mutants.
  3. Try and get at least one version of a character before moving onto waredrobe building (IE Iron Man armors). for the WBuilding then try and get the latest version of the costume, Classic Spidey = Pizza Spidey.
  4. If you like a figure then just buy it. alot of the time they become harder to get.
  5. Have Fun Collecting

5. Have fun collecting - one of the most important things!

I agree with tarot. Pick a good starting point of someone that you really like and build from there.

Who is your favorite character?

thanks guys and spider-man thats why i bought the space venom wave in the hype i like x-men and daredevil a lot too but definitely spider-man thanks for the great advice

oh i love the line i think ill go with buying the pizza spidy and the get the sandman wave and wait for the the next spidy wave

First off, I think it's totally badass to see kids/teenagers getting into collecting action figures whether it be for opening/posing or mint in box. I probably don't have much in the way of adding sound advice that the kind guys above haven't already laid out but yeah, only do it if it's fun. If you don't find collecting fun (today's marketplace is kind of a mixed bag) than it's entirely pointless.

My nephew who is 14 recently expressed an interest in collecting SW figures and bought a random black series figure when he was out with his mom one day. He started to show a significant interest in it and him knowing that myself and his grandfather (my dad) are full grown man-children and have HUGE collections, he was constantly calling/texting us for information about lines/waves/figures and I just thought it was the coolest damn thing in the world and was genuinely excited by his excitement.

Fast forward a month later as his birthday was upon us and I did a prior full week of hunting toys for him...like hardcore hunting. Every weekday after work, I would wait till until my wife got home (so she could watch the kid) I would go out hunting till like 11pm and then ALL day both weekend days leading up to his birthday lol. I had amassed like a $300 kick-starter collection (including several hard to find exclusives) for him as a gift and while he was super excited to receive them, he's virtually not spoken a word about action figures since and completely lost interest in it...almost as fast as he developed the interest for it!

It was very frustrating for me and the idea of essentially pissing away that much money (not that the set I built for him couldn't be sold for more than $300), the principality of it all was a bitter pill to swallow initially.

But hey man, kids are kids and it's all good. Like the other guys said, just HAVE FUN!!!

I will say this much though, if you go the route of full on collecting down the line, like wanting every wave (versus building a collection based off of specific characters/teams) the good news is that most figures/waves can be bought from eBay for below MSRP.

Just like Norcal said, Legends in its current form/quality, has only been around for a couple years now (early 2014 with "Infinite") and with the exception a clean Green Goblin or Mandroid wave and the TRU Xmen wave, most figs/waves can be found in store or on eBay for cheaper.

While myself (and others) will always hold soft spots for the ToyBiz glory days, Hasbro Legends really didn't become "good" until the Infinite Series rebrand so you've actually jumped on at a great time!

Hey, I collect spiderman figures myself. In the past I had the Mcfarlane spiderman and a few other superposeable iterations of spiderman and I think my favorite is the SDCC spiderman in terms of poseability. He doesnt come with any accessories so what you see is what you get (a fist hand and a thwip hand). In terms of best spiderman overall I would go with pizza spiderman because he is the same figure with less range of motion in the upperleg/hip joint but with classic colors/headsculpt and three full sets of interchangeable hands, partially unmasked head and a pizza slice. Neither of those figures will break the bank but they wont be cheap either. The new deadpool figure is great too. If you are looking for an alien I really like the s.h monsterarts alien warrior, if you want that one be patient and look for a cheap auction, they usually don't end up autioning for more than 20 or 30 but the buy it now people have it set at 50-100.

Hey, I collect spiderman figures myself. In the past I had the Mcfarlane spiderman and a few other superposeable iterations of spiderman and I think my favorite is the SDCC spiderman in terms of poseability. He doesnt come with any accessories so what you see is what you get (a fist hand and a thwip hand). In terms of best spiderman overall I would go with pizza spiderman because he is the same figure with less range of motion in the upperleg/hip joint but with classic colors/headsculpt and three full sets of interchangeable hands, partially unmasked head and a pizza slice. Neither of those figures will break the bank but they wont be cheap either. The new deadpool figure is great too. If you are looking for an alien I really like the s.h monsterarts alien warrior, if you want that one be patient and look for a cheap auction, they usually don't end up autioning for more than 20 or 30 but the buy it now people have it set at 50-100.

thanks for the advice i think next time i get some money ill go back and buy pizza spidey and maybe superior because that was one of if not my favorite spider-man run

That's awesome! I started out as a Spidey collector, still my favorite type of Legends figures, but I've expanded a lot more. I will post an ideal list of Spidey characters later in the ML scale.

Here's the promised ideal list of Spidey characters in Marvel Legends and related lines.

**Note this will also include the older, Spider-Man Classics series by Toy Biz, as it contained many important and so far not surpassed Spider-Man foes. I will not be covering alternate realities such as the ultimate universe or alternate costumes. If you’re looking for alternate costumes check out Tarot’s The Near Complete Set thread.

Key:

· TBML-The first Marvel Legends line under Toy Biz, older, often harder to find.

· HML- The second and current Marvel Legends line under Hasbro, most of the newer figures are where you want to focus.

· SMC- An older sister line to Legends that ran under Toy Biz alongside the original Marvel Legends, focusing only on Spider-Man figures.

Spider-Man:

The Standouts

· “Pizza” Spider-Man (HML)

· “McFarlane/Campbell” Spider-Man (SMC)

· “Sinister Six” Spider-Man (TBML)

· Snap-Shot Spider-Man (SMC)

· First Appearance Spider-Man (TBML)

For a character with such a long and storied history you’d think there’d be a clear cut best Spidey out there, but at the end of the day it really depends on what you want from your Spider-Man figure. The often mentioned now, nearly classic Pizza Spidey is the best bang for your buck classic Spider-Man, the articulation is great and checks almost all the boxes for a perfect Spider-Man. However, it can still be argued, and I’d say rightfully so, that the McFarlane Spidey is still the best of the bunch when it comes to articulation. The only reason to stay away is the insane prices. This figure is however a perfect 90s era representation of the webslinger. Sinister Six Spidey comes from a box set from the Toy Biz days, also difficult to get a hold of, but it captures reasonably well a mid 2000s JMS/John Romita Jr. look for Spidey plus has great articulation. The final two Spideys, Snap-Shot and First Appearance capture an 80s and a 60s look respectively. Bottom line it all depends on what era of the comics you prefer. If you don’t have a preference, I’d say stick with Pizza Spidey, the rest of the villains will take up enough money to make you happy you passed on some of the more expensive versions anyways.

Green Goblin:

The Standouts

· Toy Biz Series 13/Onslaught Wave

· 2017 Legends Spider-Man Wave (announced, upcoming)

With Green Goblin the choice is a bit easier, there’s only two really standout figures for Spidey’s arch-nemesis. The first and best is definitely the older Toy Biz ML Green Goblin, it can still be acquired for $30-40 and is the best representation of this character bar none. It comes complete with a comic accuracy that is uncanny, an appropriately sized glider, and a pumpkin bomb. If hunting that down is not your thing, then there was a Green Goblin announced last month at SDCC due I believe in early 2017, but this one misses the mark on classic comic accuracy in my book, plus the original Green Goblin from Toy Biz will have better articulation.

Doctor Octopus:

The Standouts

· Toy Biz Series 8 (VIII)

Luckily the good doctor here only has one standout Marvel Legends or otherwise figure for your Spider-Man collection. This one I believe will not come cheap, but it is worth it. The likeness is superb, the tentacles contain bendy wire making them superposable and each of the pinchers on the tentacles comes with multiple points of articulation. A win-win for old Doc Ock.

Venom:

The Standouts

· Absorbing Man Wave (HML)

· Sinister Six Box Set (TBML)

Other Venom’s

· Agent Venom (Walgreen’s Exclusive HML)

· “Space” Venom (Space Venom Wave HML)

· Anti-Venom (Hobgoblin Wave HML)

· Mac Gargan (Hasbro SMC)

· Superior Venom (Rhino Wave HML)

Venom is a bit trickier to nail down considering the different people that have been Venom over the years. For the sake of this I’ll look at Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson, Mac Gargan, and Otto Octavius/Peter Parker. For your Brock Venom there are two ways to go, the recently released, but still hard to get, Absorbing Man wave Venom. Is it the best, quite possibly, it really has the classic vibe and looks great. Or you could go with the Venom from the Sinister Six Box set. This one is also Brock, but may be more difficult to find. It has a great head sculpt, and paint deco, it’s all about what you’re looking for in your classic Venom. To complete your Brock collection there is also a figure of him in his Anti-Venom phase. This one is easy to come by and depending on your luck, may still be on the shelves somewhere. I know my local Walmart had two of them still up to about a couple weeks ago. Agent Venom, essential, not necessarily, but a good figure. This one’s tough, a Walgreens exclusive that seemed to fly off the shelves, all about your choice. If you’re down for Agent Venom, you’re probably down for Space Venom as well, of course this one’s just hitting shelves, but you’ll need to get the whole wave to build him. Superior Venom and Mac Gargan Venom are sort of niche characters, as they aren’t the most memorable Venom’s out there, but for the sake of completion I’ve included them here. For Gargan you’ll need to track down his old Hasbro figure from their tenure on Spider-Man classics, a decent figure, but again all in what you want for Venom, an easy pass if you’re more of a purist or more of a modern comic person.

Lizard:

The Standouts

· Fearsome Foes Box Set (TBML)

I like to consider myself Lizard’s number one fan, so this one will be short and sweet, as there is only one figure that will meet your needs for a Marvel Legends Lizard. The box set is expensive, and you’ll have to go to ebay or somewhere similar for it, but it is worth the trackdown. There are three figures in this set that have not seen a better release ever in Marvel Legends and Lizard is by far the best of the bunch. Some would say just get the select and fudge the scale, this is a largely erroneous notion as Lizard is not a hulking beast and that figure (also not nearly as good looking as the Legends version) is just too large.

Chameleon:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

There has only ever been one Chameleon figure. So it’s simple, get this one. But actually get three of this one. This particular figure came with swappable heads to change into Hammerhead and J. Jonah Jameson. This gives you a total of three figures, each of which has no other Marvel Legends releases, unless you count the movie series JJJ. Bottom line, essential, but buy multiples.

Electro:

The Standouts

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Getting Electro has become a lot easier with the Space Venom wave that is hitting now. Problem is this isn’t necessarily the best Electro out there. For hitting that classic Electro vibe you’ll need the older Sinister Six Box Set Electro. The newer one has an alternate head that will give him a semi-classic vibe, the choice will be yours.

Sandman:

The Standouts

· Wave 12 (SMC)

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Both standouts are the exact same figure, just with a slightly different paint wash. Why I haven’t mentioned the Raft Box Set or the rumored Sandman BAF for next year is simply because one, it’s a rumor and doesn’t count until some confirmation is given, two it’s not that great no matter which one you’re defending. The bottom line is the SMC Sandman has a great sculpt, interchangeable sand hand/weapon effects, and a great sculpt that works well for the character. Modern Sandman figures are too large. Yes Sandman is a shapeshifter, but he is not normally a big guy, a little larger than average at the most, so maybe Grim Reaper body size. When he does change size and get larger it’s much larger than the Absorbing Man base will allow for. So the modern Sandman is definitely out, it’s both too large and too small to function as a viable Sandman, without the alternate hands/weapons, it’s easily dwarfed by the original.

Rhino:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

Rhino, this one’s a sore spot of mine. I will maintain that the original TBML release in the Fearsome Foes Box Set is the superior one due to again scale issues. Like Sandman Rhino was thrown onto a body that was too large, and out of scale for him. Yes there are some good things about this newer Rhino, namely that it’s easier to come by, but you’d be much better off going for the older one for a better fit into your collection.

Mysterio:

The Standouts

· Wave 13 (SMC)

· Villains Series (Hasbro SMC)

Again these are both largely the same figure, the difference is a bit of paint deco. Mysterio could definitely do without the gimmick that he has, but until a newer one surfaces just pick your favorite of the paint decos. For my money, I’d go with the Villains Series one.

Vulture:

The Standouts

This is an easy one, like Chameleon the Vulture only has one entry into any of these lines. It is rare and costly, but it is by far a definitive version for the character. If by now you’ve considered Lizard and Rhino from the set do yourself a favor, it may be worth considering the box set, especially considering that it does have a Carnage in it as well.

Carange:

The Standouts

· Green Goblin Wave (HML)

· Wave 8 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Carnage is by far one of my favorite characters in the Spider-Man mythos, while getting him right is tricky, stick to these three mentioned above and you’ll be fine. Now I realize that the Fearsome Foes Carnage is not listed. That’s because he’s arguable weaker than any of these, the same body sculpt as the SMC releases, with a head sculpt that differs, but is not better by any means. The choice is clear on this one, the best Carnage is the Goblin wave one which sports some classic, and I’d say Mark Bagley, inspired work. The SMC version is worth noting for the better articulation, but you can’t go wrong with the utter perfection that is the Green Goblin Wave Carnage.

Hobgoblin:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Other Hobgoblins

· Phil Urich-Hobgoblin Wave (HML)

Hobgoblin comes down to like many of these figures a question of cost. Undoubtedly the SMC Hobgoblin is the best. There’s not arguing that this is a classic, Kingsley Hobgoblin with a superior sculpt and paint job. But…the price is better on the Space Venom wave’s Hobgoblin. While the head sculpt here is a mixed bag at best, it is a serviceable Hobgoblin for those that don’t care about the character enough to shell out for the definitive version. The Phil Urich Hobgoblin was somewhat short-lived in the comics, but it did manage to get into Legends and it is a solid figure. The only problem is that it’s a BAF and will have to be built by collecting all the figures or going on the aftermarket. This version is not essential, but depending on what era you were introduced to Spidey in, this one may need to be part of your collection.

Morbius:

The Standouts

Morbius has had two figures, but his recent ML release is a no brainer, it’s the best Morbius. The good news is that he’s a recent entry into the line and might be a bit easier to find than some on the list.

Kraven:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

The Rhino Wave Kraven is the only way to go. While there have been a couple other attempts none of them equal the superior sculpt and body mold choice of this Kraven. This one’s relatively recent as well, about a year old, coming across it at retail will be unlikely, but he’s definitely obtainable online.

Scorpion:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

· Wave 11 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Essentially all three figures listed here are the same in terms of sculpt. Where they differ markedly is in paint job. For your money I’d suggest Wave 14’s Scorpion as he sports a classic look and metallic green deco that are very attention grabbing. However Wave 11’s modern deco is still very appealing and the Re-Release is just that a re-release of the Wave 11 version.

Shocker:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

So far only one Shocker exists. Hasbro did do a slightly different repaint of him with a brighter yellow rather than a muted mustard/brown, but I’m given to understand that that particular figure is incredibly difficult to come by. While some may laugh at the gimmick to this Shocker, it’s not even noticeable when displayed, and I feel he fills a needed niche in the Spidey display.

Kingpin:

The Standouts

· Face-Off Two Packs (TBML)

While most consider him a Daredevil foe, Wilson Fisk is actually, originally, a Spidey foe. Now in order to get him you’ll have to shell out for him either packaged with his greatest foe Daredevil or loose on the aftermarket. Is he essential for a Spidey collection, not necessarily, but he is an excellent figure. There are two options here, a classic white jacketed Fisk or a black jacket Fisk, your choice.

Hammerhead

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

See Chameleon for more details, but suffice it to say, it’s the only shot you’ve got at Hammerhead for your collection.

Jackal:

The Standouts

This one is announced as upcoming as of SDCC just a month back. The great news, this classic villain finally gets into Legends. Since this is the first and only Jackal you’ll have to wait until it becomes available, but it is a necessity considering all the mayhem he’s caused in Peter’s life so far.

Tarantula:

The Standouts

· Wave 1 (Hasbro SMC)

Not really an essential, but for completion’s sake worth noting. There is only one version of this particular figure, it’s not terribly good, and has yet to grace my collection, but if you’re a completionist this is out there.

Hydro Man:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Here’s another one that while I would argue essential as a character, the figure itself is not good and is sadly the only version of this classic villain to enter the line. I did add this one to the collection, but I took the time to customize it with parts from an older animated series Hydro Man. My advice is to skip this one unless you really feel like you need him, the figure is a modern take on the character and doesn’t look much like his previous appearances.

Beetle:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

While we have yet to get a classic Beetle there are two options for the other Beetles which have faced off against the friendly neighborhood webslinger. One is the version that was on the Thunderbolts during the 90s. Despite not being familiar with this character I like the massive size and articulation of the character—a reminder that we used to be able to get larger figures as single carded releases once upon a time. The other is the modern Beetle most notably found in Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If you liked that series or just want to build that team, most of the members have been made and it is a good figure on its own and a worthwhile place holder for a classic Beetle.

Speed Demon:

The Standouts

Not necessarily an essential figure, but as far as obscure Spidey villains go this is yet another than has found his way into Legends. Unlike Beetle, who is a good place holder, I don’t see as much of a need for Speed Demon unless you want to build the Foes. However he is a good figure, and if you want to build those Superior Foes both he and Beetle were released early this year and should still be on shelves.

Boomerang:

The Standouts

Boomerang is a surprising figure, for as obscure, and seemingly nonessential as he is, he has made a pretty good number of appearances in Spidey comics, so I’d recommend getting him. He’s not hard to come by; in fact my local TRU still has one on the shelves. While only truly essential if you’re building the Superior Foes Boomerang is a solid figure for any Spidey collection.

Jack O’ Lantern:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

The newest Jack O’ Lantern is definitely worth picking up if for no other reason than the amazing head sculpt that it sports. He looks great in any Spider-Man collection regardless of your preference for classic or modern characters. I would recommend also picking up a Hope Summers figure though and adding the cape to this Jack O’ Lantern figure, it looks much more accurate to his appearances against Agent Venom in that series. Since the modern Jack is from the Absorbing Man wave he’s a bit easier to come by compared to the previous one. The first Jack O’ Lantern made has its faults, but it does have a light up gimmick that is cool for the character and it does have a more classic vibe to it. If you do want a Jack O’ Lantern, but only want to get one I’d recommend the modern one, as it definitely edges out the older one.

Demogoblin:

The Standouts

Far from essential but I couldn’t miss an opportunity to mention this awesomely creepy character. Whether you’re familiar with the story surrounding him or not, the Demogoblin is a chilling sort of creature who is best represented in his blue, Hobgoblin-esque appearance in Hasbro’s first crack at SMC. For the collection, you don’t need him, but he looks great next to his Goblin counterparts. For those thinking that the alternate head for the new Hobgoblin renders Demogoblin obsolete, it doesn’t. That’s Jason Macendale, the second Hobgoblin, when he was possessed originally by the Demogoblin, (long story), this figure is of the character as it appeared after the split between the two. Anyways…great figure, not essential, but still good for the collection.

Toxin:

The Standouts

· Wave 19 (SMC)

Other Toxins

Kind of surprising that for a character that has seen limited use in the comics Toxin has found his way in twice into Legends and its sister lines. I would argue that only the first Toxin is essential, as it reflects the original version of the character, and a very good read from the comics. However modern collectors may lean towards the Eddie Brock version which was released much more recently by Hasbro than the Pat Mulligan version. Many people don’t have good things to say about either version because the first was made in the final days of Toy Biz figures and the other just has an awful head sculpt. As a fan of Mulligan and Toxin I would say that while some may pass on the character in either incarnation, no Spidey collection is complete without plenty of symbiotes.

Man-Wolf

The Standouts

· Wave 16 (SMC)

There has only been one Man-Wolf figure. Is he essential, not really, but he is a classic character in Spidey’s mythos. The figure is plagued by an annoying gimmick, but it’s largely able to be overlooked once displayed next to the other Spidey villains.

Mary Jane Watson:

The Standouts

· 2017/2018 Legends Spider-Man Wave (announced, upcoming)

Sweet Christmas, to quote Luke Cage! This one’s been a long time coming and while the short wait left for this one is agonizing to a Spidey collector it’s a relief to know that Spidey’s going to finally have a MJ to join him on our shelves. There have been other MJ figures, but they’re only worth mentioning in passing as they are not worth the time or effort to track down. It’s amazing that it’s taken this long to finally get MJ into Legends; it’s almost like leaving Cyclops without Jean, or Mr. Fantastic without Invisible Woman.

Black Cat:

The Standouts

This is a simple one, just go get it. This Black Cat is an amazing figure and the only one that really belongs with your Spidey collection. Excellent sculpt, superb paint applications, a home run for the collection.

J. Jonah Jameson:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

· Spider-Man movie wave

See Chameleon for more details, but one of the only ways you’ll be able to add the always grouchy JJJ to your collection is through another Chameleon body sporting this alternate head. However there is a very good movie version. True it has a gimmick with a lever that raises Jameson’s arm so that he can slam his fist on the included desk piece, but it does give you a great Jameson in a more traditional outfit if Chamelon JJJ isn’t for you.

For wardrobe building like Greenlucario recommend (and a Bit of self promotion) look at my NCS thread. the first 3 articles are based entirely on Spider-man, Spider-woman and Alt Universe. It also goes through what I think is the best figure of that particular version.

But if you just want to collect one Character, then I recommend for the 616 universe

• Spider-woman (Jessica Drew) - the recent hasbro version
  • Spider-woman (Julia Carpenter) - The MODOK wave one is the only version so far but I think we will be getting a newer version soon
  • Spider-Girl (Arana) - The Ultimate Green Goblin one
  • Silk - only one version so far
  • Scarlet Spider - I recommend the Rhino wave one but if you want you could get the Absorbing man one but the Rhino one just looks better next to Spidey
  • Scarlet Spider Kaine - Only one version of him so far so the Hit Monkey wave

If you want to include some alternate versions which are all new characters then

• 2099 - Hobgoblin wave one
  • Mile Morales - the Space Venom
  • Spider-girl - the Hobgoblin wave
  • Spider-Gwen - The Absorbing Man wave
  • Ashley Barton - The Space Venom
  • The upcoming Spider-Uk

The rest can really be skipped unless you are building a Spider-verse, then you have to get everything. Every costume of Spidey. Every Alternate Universe version, Every Spider Lady, Every Movie figure, Every Cartoon figure. Not recommended to a 14 year old but just something to look out for.

I would also recommend getting a DD and Punisher. Maybe include some other villians like Dr. Doom and Magneto since they have fought but that is only if you really want to expand to the true full rogue gallery.

Here's the promised ideal list of Spidey characters in Marvel Legends and related lines.

**Note this will also include the older, Spider-Man Classics series by Toy Biz, as it contained many important and so far not surpassed Spider-Man foes. I will not be covering alternate realities such as the ultimate universe or alternate costumes. If youre looking for alternate costumes check out Tarots The Near Complete Set thread.

Key:

· TBML-The first Marvel Legends line under Toy Biz, older, often harder to find.

· HML- The second and current Marvel Legends line under Hasbro, most of the newer figures are where you want to focus.

· SMC- An older sister line to Legends that ran under Toy Biz alongside the original Marvel Legends, focusing only on Spider-Man figures.

Spider-Man:

The Standouts

· Pizza Spider-Man (HML)

· McFarlane/Campbell Spider-Man (SMC)

· Sinister Six Spider-Man (TBML)

For a character with such a long and storied history youd think thered be a clear cut best Spidey out there, but at the end of the day it really depends on what you want from your Spider-Man figure. The often mentioned now, nearly classic Pizza Spidey is the best bang for your buck classic Spider-Man, the articulation is great and checks almost all the boxes for a perfect Spider-Man. However, it can still be argued, and Id say rightfully so, that the McFarlane Spidey is still the best of the bunch when it comes to articulation. The only reason to stay away is the insane prices. This figure is however a perfect 90s era representation of the webslinger. Sinister Six Spidey comes from a box set from the Toy Biz days, also difficult to get a hold of, but it captures reasonably well a mid 2000s JMS/John Romita Jr. look for Spidey plus has great articulation. The final two Spideys, Snap-Shot and First Appearance capture an 80s and a 60s look respectively. Bottom line it all depends on what era of the comics you prefer. If you dont have a preference, Id say stick with Pizza Spidey, the rest of the villains will take up enough money to make you happy you passed on some of the more expensive versions anyways.

Green Goblin:

The Standouts

With Green Goblin the choice is a bit easier, theres only two really standout figures for Spideys arch-nemesis. The first and best is definitely the older Toy Biz ML Green Goblin, it can still be acquired for $30-40 and is the best representation of this character bar none. It comes complete with a comic accuracy that is uncanny, an appropriately sized glider, and a pumpkin bomb. If hunting that down is not your thing, then there was a Green Goblin announced last month at SDCC due I believe in early 2017, but this one misses the mark on classic comic accuracy in my book, plus the original Green Goblin from Toy Biz will have better articulation.

Doctor Octopus:

The Standouts

Luckily the good doctor here only has one standout Marvel Legends or otherwise figure for your Spider-Man collection. This one I believe will not come cheap, but it is worth it. The likeness is superb, the tentacles contain bendy wire making them superposable and each of the pinchers on the tentacles comes with multiple points of articulation. A win-win for old Doc Ock.

Venom:

The Standouts

Other Venoms

· Agent Venom (Walgreens Exclusive HML)

· Space Venom (Space Venom Wave HML)

Venom is a bit trickier to nail down considering the different people that have been Venom over the years. For the sake of this Ill look at Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson, Mac Gargan, and Otto Octavius/Peter Parker. For your Brock Venom there are two ways to go, the recently released, but still hard to get, Absorbing Man wave Venom. Is it the best, quite possibly, it really has the classic vibe and looks great. Or you could go with the Venom from the Sinister Six Box set. This one is also Brock, but may be more difficult to find. It has a great head sculpt, and paint deco, its all about what youre looking for in your classic Venom. To complete your Brock collection there is also a figure of him in his Anti-Venom phase. This one is easy to come by and depending on your luck, may still be on the shelves somewhere. I know my local Walmart had two of them still up to about a couple weeks ago. Agent Venom, essential, not necessarily, but a good figure. This ones tough, a Walgreens exclusive that seemed to fly off the shelves, all about your choice. If youre down for Agent Venom, youre probably down for Space Venom as well, of course this ones just hitting shelves, but youll need to get the whole wave to build him. Superior Venom and Mac Gargan Venom are sort of niche characters, as they arent the most memorable Venoms out there, but for the sake of completion Ive included them here. For Gargan youll need to track down his old Hasbro figure from their tenure on Spider-Man classics, a decent figure, but again all in what you want for Venom, an easy pass if youre more of a purist or more of a modern comic person.

Lizard:

The Standouts

I like to consider myself Lizards number one fan, so this one will be short and sweet, as there is only one figure that will meet your needs for a Marvel Legends Lizard. The box set is expensive, and youll have to go to ebay or somewhere similar for it, but it is worth the trackdown. There are three figures in this set that have not seen a better release ever in Marvel Legends and Lizard is by far the best of the bunch. Some would say just get the select and fudge the scale, this is a largely erroneous notion as Lizard is not a hulking beast and that figure (also not nearly as good looking as the Legends version) is just too large.

Chameleon:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

There has only ever been one Chameleon figure. So its simple, get this one. But actually get three of this one. This particular figure came with swappable heads to change into Hammerhead and J. Jonah Jameson. This gives you a total of three figures, each of which has no other Marvel Legends releases, unless you count the movie series JJJ. Bottom line, essential, but buy multiples.

Electro:

The Standouts

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Getting Electro has become a lot easier with the Space Venom wave that is hitting now. Problem is this isnt necessarily the best Electro out there. For hitting that classic Electro vibe youll need the older Sinister Six Box Set Electro. The newer one has an alternate head that will give him a semi-classic vibe, the choice will be yours.

Sandman:

The Standouts

· Wave 12 (SMC)

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Both standouts are the exact same figure, just with a slightly different paint wash. Why I havent mentioned the Raft Box Set or the rumored Sandman BAF for next year is simply because one, its a rumor and doesnt count until some confirmation is given, two its not that great no matter which one youre defending. The bottom line is the SMC Sandman has a great sculpt, interchangeable sand hand/weapon effects, and a great sculpt that works well for the character. Modern Sandman figures are too large. Yes Sandman is a shapeshifter, but he is not normally a big guy, a little larger than average at the most, so maybe Grim Reaper body size. When he does change size and get larger its much larger than the Absorbing Man base will allow for. So the modern Sandman is definitely out, its both too large and too small to function as a viable Sandman, without the alternate hands/weapons, its easily dwarfed by the original.

Rhino:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

Rhino, this ones a sore spot of mine. I will maintain that the original TBML release in the Fearsome Foes Box Set is the superior one due to again scale issues. Like Sandman Rhino was thrown onto a body that was too large, and out of scale for him. Yes there are some good things about this newer Rhino, namely that its easier to come by, but youd be much better off going for the older one for a better fit into your collection.

Mysterio:

The Standouts

· Wave 13 (SMC)

Again these are both largely the same figure, the difference is a bit of paint deco. Mysterio could definitely do without the gimmick that he has, but until a newer one surfaces just pick your favorite of the paint decos. For my money, Id go with the Villains Series one.

Vulture:

The Standouts

This is an easy one, like Chameleon the Vulture only has one entry into any of these lines. It is rare and costly, but it is by far a definitive version for the character. If by now youve considered Lizard and Rhino from the set do yourself a favor, it may be worth considering the box set, especially considering that it does have a Carnage in it as well.

Carange:

The Standouts

· Wave 8 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Carnage is by far one of my favorite characters in the Spider-Man mythos, while getting him right is tricky, stick to these three mentioned above and youll be fine. Now I realize that the Fearsome Foes Carnage is not listed. Thats because hes arguable weaker than any of these, the same body sculpt as the SMC releases, with a head sculpt that differs, but is not better by any means. The choice is clear on this one, the best Carnage is the Goblin wave one which sports some classic, and Id say Mark Bagley, inspired work. The SMC version is worth noting for the better articulation, but you cant go wrong with the utter perfection that is the Green Goblin Wave Carnage.

Hobgoblin:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Other Hobgoblins

Hobgoblin comes down to like many of these figures a question of cost. Undoubtedly the SMC Hobgoblin is the best. Theres not arguing that this is a classic, Kingsley Hobgoblin with a superior sculpt and paint job. Butthe price is better on the Space Venom waves Hobgoblin. While the head sculpt here is a mixed bag at best, it is a serviceable Hobgoblin for those that dont care about the character enough to shell out for the definitive version. The Phil Urich Hobgoblin was somewhat short-lived in the comics, but it did manage to get into Legends and it is a solid figure. The only problem is that its a BAF and will have to be built by collecting all the figures or going on the aftermarket. This version is not essential, but depending on what era you were introduced to Spidey in, this one may need to be part of your collection.

Morbius:

The Standouts

Morbius has had two figures, but his recent ML release is a no brainer, its the best Morbius. The good news is that hes a recent entry into the line and might be a bit easier to find than some on the list.

Kraven:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

The Rhino Wave Kraven is the only way to go. While there have been a couple other attempts none of them equal the superior sculpt and body mold choice of this Kraven. This ones relatively recent as well, about a year old, coming across it at retail will be unlikely, but hes definitely obtainable online.

Scorpion:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

· Wave 11 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Essentially all three figures listed here are the same in terms of sculpt. Where they differ markedly is in paint job. For your money Id suggest Wave 14s Scorpion as he sports a classic look and metallic green deco that are very attention grabbing. However Wave 11s modern deco is still very appealing and the Re-Release is just that a re-release of the Wave 11 version.

Shocker:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

So far only one Shocker exists. Hasbro did do a slightly different repaint of him with a brighter yellow rather than a muted mustard/brown, but Im given to understand that that particular figure is incredibly difficult to come by. While some may laugh at the gimmick to this Shocker, its not even noticeable when displayed, and I feel he fills a needed niche in the Spidey display.

Kingpin:

The Standouts

While most consider him a Daredevil foe, Wilson Fisk is actually, originally, a Spidey foe. Now in order to get him youll have to shell out for him either packaged with his greatest foe Daredevil or loose on the aftermarket. Is he essential for a Spidey collection, not necessarily, but he is an excellent figure. There are two options here, a classic white jacketed Fisk or a black jacket Fisk, your choice.

Hammerhead

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

See Chameleon for more details, but suffice it to say, its the only shot youve got at Hammerhead for your collection.

Jackal:

The Standouts

This one is announced as upcoming as of SDCC just a month back. The great news, this classic villain finally gets into Legends. Since this is the first and only Jackal youll have to wait until it becomes available, but it is a necessity considering all the mayhem hes caused in Peters life so far.

Tarantula:

The Standouts

· Wave 1 (Hasbro SMC)

Not really an essential, but for completions sake worth noting. There is only one version of this particular figure, its not terribly good, and has yet to grace my collection, but if youre a completionist this is out there.

Hydro Man:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Heres another one that while I would argue essential as a character, the figure itself is not good and is sadly the only version of this classic villain to enter the line. I did add this one to the collection, but I took the time to customize it with parts from an older animated series Hydro Man. My advice is to skip this one unless you really feel like you need him, the figure is a modern take on the character and doesnt look much like his previous appearances.

Beetle:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

While we have yet to get a classic Beetle there are two options for the other Beetles which have faced off against the friendly neighborhood webslinger. One is the version that was on the Thunderbolts during the 90s. Despite not being familiar with this character I like the massive size and articulation of the charactera reminder that we used to be able to get larger figures as single carded releases once upon a time. The other is the modern Beetle most notably found in Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If you liked that series or just want to build that team, most of the members have been made and it is a good figure on its own and a worthwhile place holder for a classic Beetle.

Speed Demon:

The Standouts

Not necessarily an essential figure, but as far as obscure Spidey villains go this is yet another than has found his way into Legends. Unlike Beetle, who is a good place holder, I dont see as much of a need for Speed Demon unless you want to build the Foes. However he is a good figure, and if you want to build those Superior Foes both he and Beetle were released early this year and should still be on shelves.

Boomerang:

The Standouts

Boomerang is a surprising figure, for as obscure, and seemingly nonessential as he is, he has made a pretty good number of appearances in Spidey comics, so Id recommend getting him. Hes not hard to come by; in fact my local TRU still has one on the shelves. While only truly essential if youre building the Superior Foes Boomerang is a solid figure for any Spidey collection.

Jack O Lantern:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

The newest Jack O Lantern is definitely worth picking up if for no other reason than the amazing head sculpt that it sports. He looks great in any Spider-Man collection regardless of your preference for classic or modern characters. I would recommend also picking up a Hope Summers figure though and adding the cape to this Jack O Lantern figure, it looks much more accurate to his appearances against Agent Venom in that series. Since the modern Jack is from the Absorbing Man wave hes a bit easier to come by compared to the previous one. The first Jack O Lantern made has its faults, but it does have a light up gimmick that is cool for the character and it does have a more classic vibe to it. If you do want a Jack O Lantern, but only want to get one Id recommend the modern one, as it definitely edges out the older one.

Demogoblin:

The Standouts

Far from essential but I couldnt miss an opportunity to mention this awesomely creepy character. Whether youre familiar with the story surrounding him or not, the Demogoblin is a chilling sort of creature who is best represented in his blue, Hobgoblin-esque appearance in Hasbros first crack at SMC. For the collection, you dont need him, but he looks great next to his Goblin counterparts. For those thinking that the alternate head for the new Hobgoblin renders Demogoblin obsolete, it doesnt. Thats Jason Macendale, the second Hobgoblin, when he was possessed originally by the Demogoblin, (long story), this figure is of the character as it appeared after the split between the two. Anywaysgreat figure, not essential, but still good for the collection.

Toxin:

The Standouts

· Wave 19 (SMC)

Other Toxins

Kind of surprising that for a character that has seen limited use in the comics Toxin has found his way in twice into Legends and its sister lines. I would argue that only the first Toxin is essential, as it reflects the original version of the character, and a very good read from the comics. However modern collectors may lean towards the Eddie Brock version which was released much more recently by Hasbro than the Pat Mulligan version. Many people dont have good things to say about either version because the first was made in the final days of Toy Biz figures and the other just has an awful head sculpt. As a fan of Mulligan and Toxin I would say that while some may pass on the character in either incarnation, no Spidey collection is complete without plenty of symbiotes.

Man-Wolf

The Standouts

· Wave 16 (SMC)

There has only been one Man-Wolf figure. Is he essential, not really, but he is a classic character in Spideys mythos. The figure is plagued by an annoying gimmick, but its largely able to be overlooked once displayed next to the other Spidey villains.

Mary Jane Watson:

The Standouts

Sweet Christmas, to quote Luke Cage! This ones been a long time coming and while the short wait left for this one is agonizing to a Spidey collector its a relief to know that Spideys going to finally have a MJ to join him on our shelves. There have been other MJ figures, but theyre only worth mentioning in passing as they are not worth the time or effort to track down. Its amazing that its taken this long to finally get MJ into Legends; its almost like leaving Cyclops without Jean, or Mr. Fantastic without Invisible Woman.

Black Cat:

The Standouts

This is a simple one, just go get it. This Black Cat is an amazing figure and the only one that really belongs with your Spidey collection. Excellent sculpt, superb paint applications, a home run for the collection.

J. Jonah Jameson:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

· Spider-Man movie wave

See Chameleon for more details, but one of the only ways youll be able to add the always grouchy JJJ to your collection is through another Chameleon body sporting this alternate head. However there is a very good movie version. True it has a gimmick with a lever that raises Jamesons arm so that he can slam his fist on the included desk piece, but it does give you a great Jameson in a more traditional outfit if Chamelon JJJ isnt for you.

Dang man thanks for the help and effort I was considering getting a few chameleon figures to have the three characters and I'm so excited for the mj figure!

**Note this will also include the older, Spider-Man Classics series by Toy Biz, as it contained many important and so far not surpassed Spider-Man foes. I will not be covering alternate realities such as the ultimate universe or alternate costumes. If youre looking for alternate costumes check out Tarots The Near Complete Set thread.

Key:

Spider-Man:

The Standouts

· Pizza Spider-Man (HML)

· McFarlane/Campbell Spider-Man (SMC)

· Sinister Six Spider-Man (TBML)

For a character with such a long and storied history youd think thered be a clear cut best Spidey out there, but at the end of the day it really depends on what you want from your Spider-Man figure. The often mentioned now, nearly classic Pizza Spidey is the best bang for your buck classic Spider-Man, the articulation is great and checks almost all the boxes for a perfect Spider-Man. However, it can still be argued, and Id say rightfully so, that the McFarlane Spidey is still the best of the bunch when it comes to articulation. The only reason to stay away is the insane prices. This figure is however a perfect 90s era representation of the webslinger. Sinister Six Spidey comes from a box set from the Toy Biz days, also difficult to get a hold of, but it captures reasonably well a mid 2000s JMS/John Romita Jr. look for Spidey plus has great articulation. The final two Spideys, Snap-Shot and First Appearance capture an 80s and a 60s look respectively. Bottom line it all depends on what era of the comics you prefer. If you dont have a preference, Id say stick with Pizza Spidey, the rest of the villains will take up enough money to make you happy you passed on some of the more expensive versions anyways.

Green Goblin:

The Standouts

With Green Goblin the choice is a bit easier, theres only two really standout figures for Spideys arch-nemesis. The first and best is definitely the older Toy Biz ML Green Goblin, it can still be acquired for $30-40 and is the best representation of this character bar none. It comes complete with a comic accuracy that is uncanny, an appropriately sized glider, and a pumpkin bomb. If hunting that down is not your thing, then there was a Green Goblin announced last month at SDCC due I believe in early 2017, but this one misses the mark on classic comic accuracy in my book, plus the original Green Goblin from Toy Biz will have better articulation.

Doctor Octopus:

The Standouts

Venom:

The Standouts

Other Venoms

· Agent Venom (Walgreens Exclusive HML)

· Space Venom (Space Venom Wave HML)

Venom is a bit trickier to nail down considering the different people that have been Venom over the years. For the sake of this Ill look at Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson, Mac Gargan, and Otto Octavius/Peter Parker. For your Brock Venom there are two ways to go, the recently released, but still hard to get, Absorbing Man wave Venom. Is it the best, quite possibly, it really has the classic vibe and looks great. Or you could go with the Venom from the Sinister Six Box set. This one is also Brock, but may be more difficult to find. It has a great head sculpt, and paint deco, its all about what youre looking for in your classic Venom. To complete your Brock collection there is also a figure of him in his Anti-Venom phase. This one is easy to come by and depending on your luck, may still be on the shelves somewhere. I know my local Walmart had two of them still up to about a couple weeks ago. Agent Venom, essential, not necessarily, but a good figure. This ones tough, a Walgreens exclusive that seemed to fly off the shelves, all about your choice. If youre down for Agent Venom, youre probably down for Space Venom as well, of course this ones just hitting shelves, but youll need to get the whole wave to build him. Superior Venom and Mac Gargan Venom are sort of niche characters, as they arent the most memorable Venoms out there, but for the sake of completion Ive included them here. For Gargan youll need to track down his old Hasbro figure from their tenure on Spider-Man classics, a decent figure, but again all in what you want for Venom, an easy pass if youre more of a purist or more of a modern comic person.

Lizard:

The Standouts

I like to consider myself Lizards number one fan, so this one will be short and sweet, as there is only one figure that will meet your needs for a Marvel Legends Lizard. The box set is expensive, and youll have to go to ebay or somewhere similar for it, but it is worth the trackdown. There are three figures in this set that have not seen a better release ever in Marvel Legends and Lizard is by far the best of the bunch. Some would say just get the select and fudge the scale, this is a largely erroneous notion as Lizard is not a hulking beast and that figure (also not nearly as good looking as the Legends version) is just too large.

Chameleon:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

There has only ever been one Chameleon figure. So its simple, get this one. But actually get three of this one. This particular figure came with swappable heads to change into Hammerhead and J. Jonah Jameson. This gives you a total of three figures, each of which has no other Marvel Legends releases, unless you count the movie series JJJ. Bottom line, essential, but buy multiples.

Electro:

The Standouts

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Getting Electro has become a lot easier with the Space Venom wave that is hitting now. Problem is this isnt necessarily the best Electro out there. For hitting that classic Electro vibe youll need the older Sinister Six Box Set Electro. The newer one has an alternate head that will give him a semi-classic vibe, the choice will be yours.

Sandman:

The Standouts

· Wave 12 (SMC)

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Both standouts are the exact same figure, just with a slightly different paint wash. Why I havent mentioned the Raft Box Set or the rumored Sandman BAF for next year is simply because one, its a rumor and doesnt count until some confirmation is given, two its not that great no matter which one youre defending. The bottom line is the SMC Sandman has a great sculpt, interchangeable sand hand/weapon effects, and a great sculpt that works well for the character. Modern Sandman figures are too large. Yes Sandman is a shapeshifter, but he is not normally a big guy, a little larger than average at the most, so maybe Grim Reaper body size. When he does change size and get larger its much larger than the Absorbing Man base will allow for. So the modern Sandman is definitely out, its both too large and too small to function as a viable Sandman, without the alternate hands/weapons, its easily dwarfed by the original.

Rhino:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

Rhino, this ones a sore spot of mine. I will maintain that the original TBML release in the Fearsome Foes Box Set is the superior one due to again scale issues. Like Sandman Rhino was thrown onto a body that was too large, and out of scale for him. Yes there are some good things about this newer Rhino, namely that its easier to come by, but youd be much better off going for the older one for a better fit into your collection.

Mysterio:

The Standouts

· Wave 13 (SMC)

Again these are both largely the same figure, the difference is a bit of paint deco. Mysterio could definitely do without the gimmick that he has, but until a newer one surfaces just pick your favorite of the paint decos. For my money, Id go with the Villains Series one.

Vulture:

The Standouts

This is an easy one, like Chameleon the Vulture only has one entry into any of these lines. It is rare and costly, but it is by far a definitive version for the character. If by now youve considered Lizard and Rhino from the set do yourself a favor, it may be worth considering the box set, especially considering that it does have a Carnage in it as well.

Carange:

The Standouts

· Wave 8 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Carnage is by far one of my favorite characters in the Spider-Man mythos, while getting him right is tricky, stick to these three mentioned above and youll be fine. Now I realize that the Fearsome Foes Carnage is not listed. Thats because hes arguable weaker than any of these, the same body sculpt as the SMC releases, with a head sculpt that differs, but is not better by any means. The choice is clear on this one, the best Carnage is the Goblin wave one which sports some classic, and Id say Mark Bagley, inspired work. The SMC version is worth noting for the better articulation, but you cant go wrong with the utter perfection that is the Green Goblin Wave Carnage.

Hobgoblin:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

· Space Venom Wave (HML)

Other Hobgoblins

Hobgoblin comes down to like many of these figures a question of cost. Undoubtedly the SMC Hobgoblin is the best. Theres not arguing that this is a classic, Kingsley Hobgoblin with a superior sculpt and paint job. Butthe price is better on the Space Venom waves Hobgoblin. While the head sculpt here is a mixed bag at best, it is a serviceable Hobgoblin for those that dont care about the character enough to shell out for the definitive version. The Phil Urich Hobgoblin was somewhat short-lived in the comics, but it did manage to get into Legends and it is a solid figure. The only problem is that its a BAF and will have to be built by collecting all the figures or going on the aftermarket. This version is not essential, but depending on what era you were introduced to Spidey in, this one may need to be part of your collection.

Morbius:

The Standouts

Morbius has had two figures, but his recent ML release is a no brainer, its the best Morbius. The good news is that hes a recent entry into the line and might be a bit easier to find than some on the list.

Kraven:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

The Rhino Wave Kraven is the only way to go. While there have been a couple other attempts none of them equal the superior sculpt and body mold choice of this Kraven. This ones relatively recent as well, about a year old, coming across it at retail will be unlikely, but hes definitely obtainable online.

Scorpion:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

· Wave 11 (SMC)

· Re-Release Wave (SMC)

Essentially all three figures listed here are the same in terms of sculpt. Where they differ markedly is in paint job. For your money Id suggest Wave 14s Scorpion as he sports a classic look and metallic green deco that are very attention grabbing. However Wave 11s modern deco is still very appealing and the Re-Release is just that a re-release of the Wave 11 version.

Shocker:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

So far only one Shocker exists. Hasbro did do a slightly different repaint of him with a brighter yellow rather than a muted mustard/brown, but Im given to understand that that particular figure is incredibly difficult to come by. While some may laugh at the gimmick to this Shocker, its not even noticeable when displayed, and I feel he fills a needed niche in the Spidey display.

Kingpin:

The Standouts

While most consider him a Daredevil foe, Wilson Fisk is actually, originally, a Spidey foe. Now in order to get him youll have to shell out for him either packaged with his greatest foe Daredevil or loose on the aftermarket. Is he essential for a Spidey collection, not necessarily, but he is an excellent figure. There are two options here, a classic white jacketed Fisk or a black jacket Fisk, your choice.

Hammerhead

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

See Chameleon for more details, but suffice it to say, its the only shot youve got at Hammerhead for your collection.

Jackal:

The Standouts

This one is announced as upcoming as of SDCC just a month back. The great news, this classic villain finally gets into Legends. Since this is the first and only Jackal youll have to wait until it becomes available, but it is a necessity considering all the mayhem hes caused in Peters life so far.

Tarantula:

The Standouts

· Wave 1 (Hasbro SMC)

Not really an essential, but for completions sake worth noting. There is only one version of this particular figure, its not terribly good, and has yet to grace my collection, but if youre a completionist this is out there.

Hydro Man:

The Standouts

· Wave 17 (SMC)

Heres another one that while I would argue essential as a character, the figure itself is not good and is sadly the only version of this classic villain to enter the line. I did add this one to the collection, but I took the time to customize it with parts from an older animated series Hydro Man. My advice is to skip this one unless you really feel like you need him, the figure is a modern take on the character and doesnt look much like his previous appearances.

Beetle:

The Standouts

· Wave 14 (SMC)

While we have yet to get a classic Beetle there are two options for the other Beetles which have faced off against the friendly neighborhood webslinger. One is the version that was on the Thunderbolts during the 90s. Despite not being familiar with this character I like the massive size and articulation of the charactera reminder that we used to be able to get larger figures as single carded releases once upon a time. The other is the modern Beetle most notably found in Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If you liked that series or just want to build that team, most of the members have been made and it is a good figure on its own and a worthwhile place holder for a classic Beetle.

Speed Demon:

The Standouts

Not necessarily an essential figure, but as far as obscure Spidey villains go this is yet another than has found his way into Legends. Unlike Beetle, who is a good place holder, I dont see as much of a need for Speed Demon unless you want to build the Foes. However he is a good figure, and if you want to build those Superior Foes both he and Beetle were released early this year and should still be on shelves.

Boomerang:

The Standouts

Boomerang is a surprising figure, for as obscure, and seemingly nonessential as he is, he has made a pretty good number of appearances in Spidey comics, so Id recommend getting him. Hes not hard to come by; in fact my local TRU still has one on the shelves. While only truly essential if youre building the Superior Foes Boomerang is a solid figure for any Spidey collection.

Jack O Lantern:

The Standouts

· Wave 18 (SMC)

The newest Jack O Lantern is definitely worth picking up if for no other reason than the amazing head sculpt that it sports. He looks great in any Spider-Man collection regardless of your preference for classic or modern characters. I would recommend also picking up a Hope Summers figure though and adding the cape to this Jack O Lantern figure, it looks much more accurate to his appearances against Agent Venom in that series. Since the modern Jack is from the Absorbing Man wave hes a bit easier to come by compared to the previous one. The first Jack O Lantern made has its faults, but it does have a light up gimmick that is cool for the character and it does have a more classic vibe to it. If you do want a Jack O Lantern, but only want to get one Id recommend the modern one, as it definitely edges out the older one.

Demogoblin:

The Standouts

Far from essential but I couldnt miss an opportunity to mention this awesomely creepy character. Whether youre familiar with the story surrounding him or not, the Demogoblin is a chilling sort of creature who is best represented in his blue, Hobgoblin-esque appearance in Hasbros first crack at SMC. For the collection, you dont need him, but he looks great next to his Goblin counterparts. For those thinking that the alternate head for the new Hobgoblin renders Demogoblin obsolete, it doesnt. Thats Jason Macendale, the second Hobgoblin, when he was possessed originally by the Demogoblin, (long story), this figure is of the character as it appeared after the split between the two. Anywaysgreat figure, not essential, but still good for the collection.

Toxin:

The Standouts

· Wave 19 (SMC)

Other Toxins

Kind of surprising that for a character that has seen limited use in the comics Toxin has found his way in twice into Legends and its sister lines. I would argue that only the first Toxin is essential, as it reflects the original version of the character, and a very good read from the comics. However modern collectors may lean towards the Eddie Brock version which was released much more recently by Hasbro than the Pat Mulligan version. Many people dont have good things to say about either version because the first was made in the final days of Toy Biz figures and the other just has an awful head sculpt. As a fan of Mulligan and Toxin I would say that while some may pass on the character in either incarnation, no Spidey collection is complete without plenty of symbiotes.

Man-Wolf

The Standouts

· Wave 16 (SMC)

There has only been one Man-Wolf figure. Is he essential, not really, but he is a classic character in Spideys mythos. The figure is plagued by an annoying gimmick, but its largely able to be overlooked once displayed next to the other Spidey villains.

Mary Jane Watson:

The Standouts

Sweet Christmas, to quote Luke Cage! This ones been a long time coming and while the short wait left for this one is agonizing to a Spidey collector its a relief to know that Spideys going to finally have a MJ to join him on our shelves. There have been other MJ figures, but theyre only worth mentioning in passing as they are not worth the time or effort to track down. Its amazing that its taken this long to finally get MJ into Legends; its almost like leaving Cyclops without Jean, or Mr. Fantastic without Invisible Woman.

Black Cat:

The Standouts

J. Jonah Jameson:

The Standouts

· Rhino Wave (HML)

· Spider-Man movie wave

See Chameleon for more details, but one of the only ways youll be able to add the always grouchy JJJ to your collection is through another Chameleon body sporting this alternate head. However there is a very good movie version. True it has a gimmick with a lever that raises Jamesons arm so that he can slam his fist on the included desk piece, but it does give you a great Jameson in a more traditional outfit if Chamelon JJJ isnt for you.

Dang man thanks for the help and effort I was considering getting a few chameleon figures to have the three characters and I'm so excited for the mj figure!

No problem, always happy to help someone get started! Personally that MJ figure is my favorite thing to come out of SDCC.

Peter Palmer wussup man! Remember you from the video review on my youtube channel. Good Luck on you figure collection I really Amp'd up my collecting recently even though I'd grab a figure here or there for years. Getting more social with other collectors on the youtube and instagram made me step my game up LOL. Like a few others I don't have any specific figures I'd recommend but as someone mention start with some of the current waves out and mostly just depends on what you like. With me it's figures that a passed on at first but eventually grew on me that I had a change of heart and purchased (Allfather Wave Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch comes to mind).