Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Do you guys black wash your Legends?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

My main problem with the line is the lack of paint detail. 

Is it basically as simple as buying a small brush and some black acrylic paint and going to town? Am I missing any important steps? 

I was thinking of doing this to Blades legs since they look like cheap plastic. I gave him the Netflix Punisher jacket as well. Would maybe a gun metal dry wash look good on the jacket? I am basically just trying to bring the figures to life a bit. 

#2 KiloinNorcal

KiloinNorcal

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I've never done it to my figs, but I do paint minis from time to time, and if you're gonna be handling your figs a lot, you'll want to apply some form of varnish as well.

#3 monron999

monron999

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. 90 percent of what people consider "superior paint app" from Toybiz is actually just a wash, whether it be black or just a darker color than the base it's being applied to. It does make a figure look better for sure. Just get some flat black paint or any color of your choosing. Example; orange is good over yellow, brown is good over orange or red, light blue over white, etc. If your using acrylic you can just use a little paint thinner but mostly distilled water to give it the consistency that will run into the cracks and details of the figure. Have a wet and dry towel at the ready. Once you apply the paint let it settle a few seconds then wipe it away with the dry towel to get as much of it of the raised surfaces as possible. Then go back over with the wet towel. Keep in mind the harder you press the more paint you'll dig out of the crevasses. Also keep in mind the differences of the surfaces you're working with. For example the details in Mysterio's suit will be harder to remove than say the musculature lines on Daredevil's legs, quite simply because it's easier to dig it out of the areas. I suggest practicing on an unwanted figure first, maybe some ML from the Dark Days as they have terribly deep detail lines & it would help you understand how & where the paint falls, but most importantly, what consistency of the paint you prefer to work with. Personally I like my paint very thin so it seeps into every little cranny before wiping away most of the paint, but some people like it thicker paint with a lighter wiping with the rag to make darker & bolder shading. Now, dry brush is a whole other animal, but that's talk for another time.

#4 mako

mako

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

Never really saw the need to black wash my figures. I mean, isn't that sort of like buying a comic book then drawing on the page because you don't like the art?

#5 KiloinNorcal

KiloinNorcal

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

Never really saw the need to black wash my figures. I mean, isn't that sort of like buying a comic book then drawing on the page because you don't like the art?

Kinda, yeah. I guess you'd have to think of it as making a custom.

#6 SpideyMang

SpideyMang

Andorian

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

Interesting, I didn't think it would be that easy to make some figures look that much better. I always thought it was a more involved process. I'll have to try this out sometime and see how it goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us