What the hell is the deal with the Xmen wave?

Heisenberg

I can perceive not getting another Xmen wave this year, that's who lol. Despite me saying that for a while, my viewpoint is completely irrelevant as you can now hear it straight from the horses mouth (that horse being Dwight) during that Q&A posted on the front page.

I'll try to remember his exact quote but I believe it was like "the great thing about doing 1 xmen wave a year is that we have the opportunity to really make each wave as awesome as we can. We are already working on 2019 waves but I think the 2018 Xmen wave is the best work we've don't yet"

Again, the video can give anyone the exact quotes but for those who don't want to/haven't yet seen it, I believe i transcribed it pretty accurately off of memory.

It stinks but it is what it is i suppose.

Damnit Cobra, stop crushing my dreams. You gotta understand, my happy place is a world where Marvel doesn't hate one of it's most beloved and influential franchises in comic history and I have a giant vault full of toys where I swim in them like Scrooge McDuck. You gotta let me keep hope alive. Jeez, you sound like my wife. Heeeey......you wouldn't happen to be a smoking hot Hawaiian looking chick with DD's who likes comics and toys and loves me unconditionally regardless of all my childish quirks, buuut are actually a smoking hot Latina chick with DD's who desperately wants to murder me in my sleep and bury me and my toy collection in the back yard next to the 5 dogs my kids forgot to feed, would you?

Naaah, what're the odds?

Also, the only 5 things I wanted to see come out of ToyFair (and will be the exact same 5 things I want to see come out of SDCC) were, to no surprise to me of course, more absent then healthy looking stool after a midnight run to Taco Bell...

1. Movie 6in Crossbones

2. Black Series Style 6in Joe's

3. Full FF Wave reveal

4. Return of SW Vintage SA 3.75

5. Some actual SW 6in ALIENS

So I say let us both bask together in our crushed dreams!

Furthermore (to try and attempt to say something relevant to this thread) I guess it's possible for us to assume that Target worked out some deal for the Warlock wave? I mean I literally can't remember the last time a wave has not only shown up at retail before preorders shipped out from etailers but let alone BEFORE those said preorders even went live! Either way, I could care less about waiting and the second the wave pops up on EE, I will proceed to clicking a few buttons and achieving total victory lol

Also, the only 5 things I wanted to see come out of ToyFair (and will be the exact same 5 things I want to see come out of SDCC) were, to no surprise to me of course, more absent then healthy looking stool after a midnight run to Taco Bell...

1. Movie 6in Crossbones

2. Black Series Style 6in Joe's

3. Full FF Wave reveal

4. Return of SW Vintage SA 3.75

5. Some actual SW 6in ALIENS

So I say let us both bask together in our crushed dreams!

Furthermore (to try and attempt to say something relevant to this thread) I guess it's possible for us to assume that Target worked out some deal for the Warlock wave? I mean I literally can't remember the last time a wave has not only shown up at retail before preorders shipped out from etailers but let alone BEFORE those said preorders even went live! Either way, I could care less about waiting and the second the wave pops up on EE, I will proceed to clicking a few buttons and achieving total victory lol

I would love me some G.I. Joe 6 inch black series scale. I don't really know what Hasbro is actually doing with the Joe line in general. For one of their biggest i.p.s it's like they have completely abandoned it since like 2010. I get they have no cartoon tie-in atm, but there are so many people that are Joe collectors that would jump on a 6 inch collector sized line-up.

Don't worry. It's very calculated. Ain't no way they aren't making a plan to capitalize on the Joe franchise. They're just getting their plan straight so it doesn't go the way of Sigma 6. And expect a BAF. It's pretty much the industry standard at this point. They just need to get the right creative team lined up. I'm with you. Let's all bring it strong for build-a-weapon.

Glad to hear some support for Joes, Gooooooo Joes!

For the last couple of SDCCs, the "team" at Hasbro has been saying that they are just waiting on the next Joe movie to come out in order to give the brand the legs needed to support another full scale, mass release line to retail.

Now, just to make myself clear on where I stand with Joe's; if Hasbro told me they could only make ONE toyline a year and I had the option to only have SW, Joe's or Legends (of which all 3 I feverishly collect) my answer would be, without hesitation, JOES!

Having said that, any informed Joe collector knows that the line doesn't need a movie tie in to be popular. I back this up with fact as the 2007 25th Anniversary Joes line was actually Hasbros fastest selling 3.75 line in the history of the company at that time, even eclipsing their more-than-established SW lines from 2007-2008. That's also really saying something considering the 2007 SW 30th Anniversary line (followed by the Legacy Collection) were impeccable SW lines that eventually paved the way for the 3.75 Vintage Collection. It really is something to chew on when you factor in that the 25th Vintage style Joes and SW Vintage collection were the two biggest selling and most adopted Hasbro 3.75 lines of all time and as of 2014/2015, SA 3.75 SW has been reduced to scarcely repacked Walmart line and SA 3.75 Joes have been reduced to an annual small batch of TRU repaints/repacks box sets. God I miss the glory days...but I digress.

Even more irritating is that the last Joe movie line was practically the death knell for Joes as a mass release line and sans the heavily under-shipped last wave or two, most of that movie line was garbage (just as the first movie line was) Please Hasbro...help me understand this nonsense!

All of that notwithstanding, I have 20 years worth of an awesome SW 3.75 collection and am still happy with the Joes produced between 2007-2012 which is why I've fully embraced the SW 6in Black Series (it's fresh and exciting to get classic SW figs that you've purchased a dozen times over in 3.75 scale, but new for the first time in 6in scale) and by extension, I would do anything or well executed 6in Joes line.

However, (looking at you Monron) I don't see the need for a BAF for a Joe line (I'm not saying it would deter me from buying the line) and I personally just think it would be kinda weird to see lol. Also, considering there are A LOT of 6/7in toy lines out there and the only ones with a BAF program are Legends and those God-awful DC figs, I don't see how BAFs are the industry standard as a whole lol. Lastly, if the Joes line had a build-a-weapon...who the hell is supposed to wield the weapon? Wouldn't a BAW program, by definition, mean the weapon would be bigger than the standard 6in scale gun? I love the creatively of your suggestion but I just don't get the execution of it lol.

For the last couple of SDCCs, the "team" at Hasbro has been saying that they are just waiting on the next Joe movie to come out in order to give the brand the legs needed to support another full scale, mass release line to retail.

Now, just to make myself clear on where I stand with Joe's; if Hasbro told me they could only make ONE toyline a year and I had the option to only have SW, Joe's or Legends (of which all 3 I feverishly collect) my answer would be, without hesitation, JOES!

Having said that, any informed Joe collector knows that the line doesn't need a movie tie in to be popular. I back this up with fact as the 2007 25th Anniversary Joes line was actually Hasbros fastest selling 3.75 line in the history of the company at that time, even eclipsing their more-than-established SW lines from 2007-2008. That's also really saying something considering the 2007 SW 30th Anniversary line (followed by the Legacy Collection) were impeccable SW lines that eventually paved the way for the 3.75 Vintage Collection. It really is something to chew on when you factor in that the 25th Vintage style Joes and SW Vintage collection were the two biggest selling and most adopted Hasbro 3.75 lines of all time and as of 2014/2015, SA 3.75 SW has been reduced to scarcely repacked Walmart line and SA 3.75 Joes have been reduced to an annual small batch of TRU repaints/repacks box sets. God I miss the glory days...but I digress.

Even more irritating is that the last Joe movie line was practically the death knell for Joes as a mass release line and sans the heavily under-shipped last wave or two, most of that movie line was garbage (just as the first movie line was) Please Hasbro...help me understand this nonsense!

All of that notwithstanding, I have 20 years worth of an awesome SW 3.75 collection and am still happy with the Joes produced between 2007-2012 which is why I've fully embraced the SW 6in Black Series (it's fresh and exciting to get classic SW figs that you've purchased a dozen times over in 3.75 scale, but new for the first time in 6in scale) and by extension, I would do anything or well executed 6in Joes line.

However, (looking at you Monron) I don't see the need for a BAF for a Joe line (I'm not saying it would deter me from buying the line) and I personally just think it would be kinda weird to see lol. Also, considering there are A LOT of 6/7in toy lines out there and the only ones with a BAF program are Legends and those God-awful DC figs, I don't see how BAFs are the industry standard as a whole lol. Lastly, if the Joes line had a build-a-weapon...who the hell is supposed to wield the weapon? Wouldn't a BAW program, by definition, mean the weapon would be bigger than the standard 6in scale gun? I love the creatively of your suggestion but I just don't get the execution of it lol.

You wouldnt be down with a build-a-vehicle trouble bubble? Or a BAF B.A.T.?

Haha I always told myself if I win the lottery I would tell Hasbro I would personally finance the start of a 6 inch Joe line in good faith. I'd probably also contact J.Scott Campbell to pen the box art too.

@jonnyshowcase

Assuming they released in the same size box as Black Series (or Legends for that matter) I really don't see how a 6in vehicle BAF could fit in the package-even one as small as the trouble bubble lol. I also would want my BAFs (in their many different variations) to be released single carded and I'm sure army builders out there (I'm not one of them) would agree with me lol. Besides, wouldn't we want vehicles for the line? I would have no problem dropping $40 on a Trouble Bubble although lord knows what they would actually charge these days.

To be honest, I really just want the 25th Line brought into 6in and everything kept the same-Vintage card art, done on a blister card (the new 40th SW figures have shown it can be done at this scale and still look good) with amazing figs and the patented amount of accessories. No gimmicks, no build a piece, just how they originally were done. Having said that, I would have no problem with the Vintage design thrown on a slick window box like current Black Series too.

@KiloinNorcal

Hurry up and win the lottery man and when you do, reach out to me so we can design the line together!!! You can keep all the profits, I just want my name on the bottom of the box somewhere 😄

While I absolutely have no objection to Jscott on the art, I personally feel Jamie Tyndall (just look at the RAH #200 Baroness/Eel variant cover for one example) has a better grip on that hyper stylized, cartoon/anime style-the style that Jscott is famous for. Also, I think the best and most consistent Joe artist of all time is easily Robert Atkins. BUT...its hard to ignore the classics like SL Gallant too. Tim Bradstreet would be insane as well...

At the end of the day, I would just want the vintage card art for the packaging but boy o boy there are some great options to think about!

@jonnyshowcase

Assuming they released in the same size box as Black Series (or Legends for that matter) I really don't see how a 6in vehicle BAF could fit in the package-even one as small as the trouble bubble lol. I also would want my BAFs (in their many different variations) to be released single carded and I'm sure army builders out there (I'm not one of them) would agree with me lol. Besides, wouldn't we want vehicles for the line? I would have no problem dropping $40 on a Trouble Bubble although lord knows what they would actually charge these days.

To be honest, I really just want the 25th Line brought into 6in and everything kept the same-Vintage card art, done on a blister card (the new 40th SW figures have shown it can be done at this scale and still look good) with amazing figs and the patented amount of accessories. No gimmicks, no build a piece, just how they originally were done. Having said that, I would have no problem with the Vintage design thrown on a slick window box like current Black Series too.

@KiloinNorcal

Hurry up and win the lottery man and when you do, reach out to me so we can design the line together!!! You can keep all the profits, I just want my name on the bottom of the box somewhere 😄

While I absolutely have no objection to Jscott on the art, I personally feel Jamie Tyndall (just look at the RAH #200 Baroness/Eel variant cover for one example) has a better grip on that hyper stylized, cartoon/anime style-the style that Jscott is famous for. Also, I think the best and most consistent Joe artist of all time is easily Robert Atkins. BUT...its hard to ignore the classics like SL Gallant too. Tim Bradstreet would be insane as well...

At the end of the day, I would just want the vintage card art for the packaging but boy o boy there are some great options to think about!

Yeah, Tyndall has a very similar style. He wouldn't be bad either. I'm familiar with all of his Baroness variants and covers ;). I'd prefer the more contemporary artists than some of the vintage stuff, but original card art wouldn't be bad either.

Well, to be honest I don't so much think a BAF is exactly required, but as I've said in the past, it's a gimmick that's being used not only by Hasbro & Mattel, but other companies like Bandai, Funko & even Super7 to encentivize the customers to complete waves. It works. I often find myself purchasing figs that I initially intended to pass on just to finish the Build-A-Whatever.

As far as a Build-A-Weapon, I guess I shoulda been more specific because I forget how much older I probly am than many but I just assumed most Joe affectionados remember the 80's cuz to me that was the peak of Joe collecting. So, back in the 80's not only was there a massive cast of different and diverse characters but with each series that was released & even between series, there were these "weapon kits" that were released at a fairly cheap price. A lot of them were like heavy artillery weapons that you put together kinda like a model kit & they stood near the height of a regular 4" Joe figure & it would stand alone and you could place your figures in or behind it to operate it. It was usually something like a chain gun or a rocket launcher. I think at one time they even maybe had wheels & you could attach them to each other. Picture a bunch of Radio Flyer wagons attached end to end carrying surface to air missles & 50 cal's. By today's standards it might be goofy but as a kid it was awesome. There were even smaller vehicles like Zartan's swamp buggy & Snowjob's (that name's still so freaking awesome) snowmobile & I think there were even exo-suits at one time. They could all kinda qualify as some type of Build-A. That might actually be the only way some of these items could get done cuz in today's market I don't see little auxiliary lines like that doing very well. But, maybe that's just me. I don't see a BAF cuz I don't think there's really many characters that can't be done as a single card & doing a vehicle like the H.I.S.S. would be much too large to be done properly through a BAF but would most deffinately sell as a premium item. So the Build-A-Weapon was born out of a recollection of some of these off center items we used to get from the Joe line but I couldn't see having much of a place in the modern era.

@Monron

I didn't know funko & bandai did "build a something" stuff and I've never even heard of of super7 so that's interesting info.

Yeah, I know of the weapon kits/packs you're talking about but I wasn't putting that reference together when I saw build a weapon lol. I unfortunately wasn't old enough to play with Joes from the very beginning in the 80s but they were the very first action figures I was introduced to and to this day, I still think they are the coolest! I would do anyhrinf for more mass release Joes...and Spawn figures lol.

My Targets have been getting X-men and Guardians simultaneously. Most of the time they have been picked over by the time I get there though, and I noticed some store employees may be keeping them in the back. Brickseek told me one Target had 23 figures from the Xwave in stock. When I went, the employee said they had everything out, even after looking at his scanner and told me to come back on Wednesday.

My Targets have been getting X-men and Guardians simultaneously. Most of the time they have been picked over by the time I get there though, and I noticed some store employees may be keeping them in the back. Brickseek told me one Target had 23 figures from the Xwave in stock. When I went, the employee said they had everything out, even after looking at his scanner and told me to come back on Wednesday.

Your target could be waiting for the rumored wolverine/x-men endcap

• 2 weeks later...

So, guess what guys? I finally got this damn wave. Without a doubt the most pain staking legends wave I have ever collected. Now, the 3rd Civil War wave I have only seen all together in the wild literally once but I got it on the second try.

This wave continued to be stressful and just plain odd to get my hands on. I have been going to Target almost everyday at 8 AM for about 2 weeks.....ever since I went there with the UPC and the guy told me he knew 100 percent they only had Guardians.....of course when I go back in the morning two cases of the wave have been put out and only Old Man Logan and Dazzler remain. I did say something to him but I didn't go as hard as I wanted. Its a catch 22 as if I am a total dick to him it will be even more difficult to get help at this target (if that is even possible)

Anyway, I was in yesterday and the guy told me none were on the way, still. So, this morning I decide I will sleep in an extra hour. Around 8:15 I get a text from a fellow collector telling me they have the wave. I become frantic. I ask him to hold me Cyclops and he says they are all there EXCEPT Cyclops. I get there as fast as I can get everything EXCEPT Cylcops which is kinda like having a prom date with a Victory Secret Model but never getting to blow your load. Sorry for the crude analogy but that is how it felt.

I met up with him at the other Target they have nothing because they suck. I press him about Cyclops hard, I can tell something is off but he keeps telling me it was gone. We meet up again at TRU and I think he has it but I also think its possible a store employee snagged it. I decide I am going back to Target to see if someone hid it. Nothing. I ask for if any our in the back and get a no. I just have this feeling though.....about 2 minutes later a guy walks past me with a fresh fucking case. I couldn't believe my eyes. I finally have Cyclops in my hands.

I go to work all pumped up. About an hour into my shift I am told a customer wants to speak with me. I assume its some sort of complaint but when I go out there my toy hunter friend is standing there with get this.....ANOTHER Cyclops. He had it all along. Why he changed his mind from scalping to giving it to me I don't know. I am going repay him in kind and re-balance the karma but guys somehow someway I have two Cyclops!!!! One to keep MOC and one to enjoy c:

This wave has been an adventure I will say that.

So, guess what guys? I finally got this damn wave. Without a doubt the most pain staking legends wave I have ever collected. Now, the 3rd Civil War wave I have only seen all together in the wild literally once but I got it on the second try.

This wave continued to be stressful and just plain odd to get my hands on. I have been going to Target almost everyday at 8 AM for about 2 weeks.....ever since I went there with the UPC and the guy told me he knew 100 percent they only had Guardians.....of course when I go back in the morning two cases of the wave have been put out and only Old Man Logan and Dazzler remain. I did say something to him but I didn't go as hard as I wanted. Its a catch 22 as if I am a total dick to him it will be even more difficult to get help at this target (if that is even possible)

Anyway, I was in yesterday and the guy told me none were on the way, still. So, this morning I decide I will sleep in an extra hour. Around 8:15 I get a text from a fellow collector telling me they have the wave. I become frantic. I ask him to hold me Cyclops and he says they are all there EXCEPT Cyclops. I get there as fast as I can get everything EXCEPT Cylcops which is kinda like having a prom date with a Victory Secret Model but never getting to blow your load. Sorry for the crude analogy but that is how it felt.

I met up with him at the other Target they have nothing because they suck. I press him about Cyclops hard, I can tell something is off but he keeps telling me it was gone. We meet up again at TRU and I think he has it but I also think its possible a store employee snagged it. I decide I am going back to Target to see if someone hid it. Nothing. I ask for if any our in the back and get a no. I just have this feeling though.....about 2 minutes later a guy walks past me with a fresh fucking case. I couldn't believe my eyes. I finally have Cyclops in my hands.

I go to work all pumped up. About an hour into my shift I am told a customer wants to speak with me. I assume its some sort of complaint but when I go out there my toy hunter friend is standing there with get this.....ANOTHER Cyclops. He had it all along. Why he changed his mind from scalping to giving it to me I don't know. I am going repay him in kind and re-balance the karma but guys somehow someway I have two Cyclops!!!! One to keep MOC and one to enjoy c:

This wave has been an adventure I will say that.

Even moreso than the Juggernaut wave?!?! That's saying a lot!!

@rukkdeez

For me for sure......I found all of the Juggernaugt wave sans Deadpool and Cable really early. I raced to the other Target but they said it was street dated. I went in at 8 AM the next morning and had them open a fresh case for me. Then a friend hid a Deadpool for me at Walmart and I have even found a few more since. I know Deadpool was a real pain the ass for many of us to get our hands on though.