Stayin' broke in 2018!

Rukkdeez

9, count em...NINE waves to come in 2018! Keep in mind, this doesn't include the various exclusives nor the motorcycles that are coming. Based on waves having at least six figures (and we know some will have seven), that's at least $1,080. I think the cycle sets will be $50 so that's $150 more (if a 3rd set is for real). There are several 2 packs coming out, so that's $40 a pop. With all of this in mind, we're talking in and around $1500 including tax in most cases. We're talking a mortgage payment right there! Lol. And if you double up like me, WOW! Now, the cost doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me are the intervals and durations between waves (or lack thereof). It's one thing if you choose to not get a figure or wave, but something else entirely when you CAN'T get something because the next set came out so quickly, your wallet had no time to recover. What makes this even worse is Hasbro will go months with nothing, then POW! We get hit back to back...to back. Of course with 9 waves +, that doesn't really leave much room for wallet recovery does it (math shows a wave released every 5.8 weeks on average)? Well we asked for more!

This wasn't meant to complain (except for the dead time without), but to let my fellow collectors know what we're in for. I guess my convos with the Hasbro team this year will be about we, the collectors being more careful about what we ask for!

PS: I should've included a 5-6 figure box set (as well as DOFP). We're always good for one of those a year now.

Lol, I wish being broke was my only problem. You're right, the distribution of these waves is as eradicate as it can be. No better proof is there but the end of 2018. There were crickets chirping in the ML section at Christmas. Good thing was ML went on clearance in my area. Bad thing was I've seen enough Starlords & Lokis & even Karls to last me a lifetime.

As far as spacing it out throughout the year, ya I'm old enough that I've kinda worked that out. When I have the money I go the online route and pre-order as many waves as I can afford at that particular time. Usually the online release dates are spaced apart more uniformly than those surprise street dates that seem to pop up when you're broke AF. That way I at least know I have one secured and I let's me as a Double Upper be more frugal when I actually see the figures in the wild. Of course, if I happen to have the available funds at the time, all bets are off. I'll buy the whole damn wave then & there and not even open the box when my online order comes in. Hasbro's got me in the ringer from both ends.

My biggest gripe is (imagine that, I have a gripe) is, aside from the fact that the X-Men only get 1 true wave, is that Ant-Man & the Wasp won't get their own wave. I know Ant-Man & Wasp themselves are probably the only figure worthy movie characters but an actual wave woulda given the opportunity to fill some holes in the comic universe. Most notably characters like Hank Pym Ant-Man, Yellow Jacket (male or female version), Goliath, Stature, maybe a reissue of the exclusive Ghost figure, possibly sneak a modern Scarlet Witch in there somewhere, maybe a comic Hulk update using the Ragnarok Hulk buck, a modern comic Ultron, how bout a comic War Machine. Any of these guys ringing a bell, Hasbro? You know, something more comic fan friendly considering the MCU heavy 2nd Avengers IW wave we'll have to endure (funny, still no MCU Vision in sight). The biggest miss was the chance to do a comic Giant Man BAF, though I doubt Hasbro would be able to outdo TB either in regards to size or cost in your standard BAF format. That is unless they can find a way to extend it to an extra large wave. Y'know...like Toybiz did. What...what? No...no that was absolutely not, and I stress NOT another thinly & poorly veiled challenge to Hasro's capability to improve on TB's impressive effort. But since you brought it up. Hey, but I'm pulling for you if the Days of Future Past set does turn out to be an attempt to outdo TB's Sentinel.

Here's to another year of broken wallets & probably some broken hearts. Where are you Strong Guy? Is it all just a sick joke to you by now, Hasbro?

Team Strong Guy for life!

Lol, I wish being broke was my only problem. You're right, the distribution of these waves is as eradicate as it can be. No better proof is there but the end of 2018. There were crickets chirping in the ML section at Christmas. Good thing was ML went on clearance in my area. Bad thing was I've seen enough Starlords & Lokis & even Karls to last me a lifetime.

As far as spacing it out throughout the year, ya I'm old enough that I've kinda worked that out. When I have the money I go the online route and pre-order as many waves as I can afford at that particular time. Usually the online release dates are spaced apart more uniformly than those surprise street dates that seem to pop up when you're broke AF. That way I at least know I have one secured and I let's me as a Double Upper be more frugal when I actually see the figures in the wild. Of course, if I happen to have the available funds at the time, all bets are off. I'll buy the whole damn wave then & there and not even open the box when my online order comes in. Hasbro's got me in the ringer from both ends.

My biggest gripe is (imagine that, I have a gripe) is, aside from the fact that the X-Men only get 1 true wave, is that Ant-Man & the Wasp won't get their own wave. I know Ant-Man & Wasp themselves are probably the only figure worthy movie characters but an actual wave woulda given the opportunity to fill some holes in the comic universe. Most notably characters like Hank Pym Ant-Man, Yellow Jacket (male or female version), Goliath, Stature, maybe a reissue of the exclusive Ghost figure, possibly sneak a modern Scarlet Witch in there somewhere, maybe a comic Hulk update using the Ragnarok Hulk buck, a modern comic Ultron, how bout a comic War Machine. Any of these guys ringing a bell, Hasbro? You know, something more comic fan friendly considering the MCU heavy 2nd Avengers IW wave we'll have to endure (funny, still no MCU Vision in sight). The biggest miss was the chance to do a comic Giant Man BAF, though I doubt Hasbro would be able to outdo TB either in regards to size or cost in your standard BAF format. That is unless they can find a way to extend it to an extra large wave. Y'know...like Toybiz did. What...what? No...no that was absolutely not, and I stress NOT another thinly & poorly veiled challenge to Hasro's capability to improve on TB's impressive effort. But since you brought it up. Hey, but I'm pulling for you if the Days of Future Past set does turn out to be an attempt to outdo TB's Sentinel.

Here's to another year of broken wallets & probably some broken hearts. Where are you Strong Guy? Is it all just a sick joke to you by now, Hasbro?

Team Strong Guy for life!

I believe the reported Vision/scarlet Witch 2 pack will be MCU based. At least that's the rumor.

I agree not having a Ant-man and Wasp wave does seem wrong, but remember that that movie is out only a few weeks after the Infinity War. Since people will still be in loving (or hating since we don't know what it's really like) and people would still want Infinity war figures, it would make sense to slot them into a Avengers wave and give the figures an actually chance of being bought because people would just forget that this movie is even out.

I'm also going to say that I think (just me) that the Thor in that wave might be a movie figure since he is supposed to be coming in a 3 pack with Rocket and Groot.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered the Spiderman wave while ago. The rest I am not really wanting. Avengers waves 1 and 2 are a solid pass for me. In Deadpool, all I want is Domino and maybe Bishop in wave 2 if the rumors are true. I may have money saved up for the next X-Men wave when that hits in August if I heard right. I am going to pay attention to Walgreens for Reed Richards and The Thing and thats pretty much it for me for this year. I have to wait and see on the rumored Spiderman wave with Doc Ock to see if thats all confirmed to know if thats a want or not. Not a bad year. I may save some money this year.