Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

So if Fox got on the TV Series bandwagon as a companion to the X-Men franchise... Generation X? Madrox Investigations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSmith

DSmith

Unclassificationable :P

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I've been formulating ideas for X-Universe TV series.

I'm sure most of us remember (or wish we could forget) that TV movie/backdoor pilot for the Generation X series back in the day that flopped miserably. BUT adapting comics to screen as an industry has evolved and improved a lot in the last 15-20 years. Casting is more reputable, writing with the bigger picture in mind is a reality. Cinematic Universes are all the rage and pretty much the new standard since the Avengers franchise was/is such a huge success. The game has successfully been changed.

So what do you think of these ideas?

Generation X

Tied into the cinematic X-Men universe, and set in the timeline following the events of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, this adaptation of the comic book highlights young mutants coming of age, dealing with emerging abilities, their expected teenage angst and sense of alienation only exaggerated by powers that have affected them in all sorts of ways. Banshee (Damian Lewis) balances his romance with Dr. Moira MacTaggart (Olivia Williams) with a reluctant partnership with Emma Frost (January Jones) (who has slowed aging due to her diamond form ability... a way of justifying "First Class" casting for her, but not for Banshee) as they shape the future of mutant culture and the lives of a new class of students. Jubilee (Kristin Kreuk) as a pre-existing Xavier school student feels "demoted" to the Massachusetts Academy when she thought her studies had given her a strong chance at joining the main team of X-Men.

Much like the comics, an invasion of the Phalanx and corruption at the Xavier Institute causes Banshee and Jubilee to rely on captive villains (who Xavier was trying to rehabilitate) Frost and Sabretooth (Liev Schreiber) to track down the next class of mutants before the Phalanx can. The unlikely band of mutants goes on the road, first tracking down Everett Thomas (Tequan Richmond) and Paige Guthrie (Elisha Cuthbert). The Phalanx manages to gain on them and beats them to Monet St. Croix (Jessica Lucas) before they could warn her of the alien threat. Sabretooth escapes, abandoning the rest of the would-be heroes.

The mutants infiltrate the Phalanx stronghold and all the young mutants band together to escape their captors, including Clarice Ferguson (Bingbing Fan), who appears lost in the battle to her own out-of-control mutant powers. Once the Phalanx are defeated, the students journey to the new school, where they meet other new students, Jonothon Starsmore (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), who struggles with the deformity caused by the first eruption of his explosive mutant ability, Angelo Espinosa (Jay Hernandez), whose ability to stretch his skin leaves him with an inferiority complex when faced with more powerful mutants, and the mysterious Penance (Alexis Dziena) who appeared on campus out of nowhere. (This is all covered over the first 6 episodes)

Over the rest of the first season, we unravel the secret that binds Monet, Emplate and Penance to each other, explore the unlikely romantic triangle of Husk, Chamber and Penance, and discover the truth behind the damaged relationship between Emma Frost and her siblings Adrienne (Poppy Montgomery) and Christian (Luke MacFarlane). This all builds to the first season finale in episode 13, when Adrienne Frost's evil plan for the Academy is revealed, the full truth about Monet is exposed, one student dies, and the question arises as to whether Blink is alive.

Season two I haven't really worked out, but I would imagine it would follow Emma Frost covering up her murder of her sister, the introduction of the Stepford Cuckoos, and further development of the characters as they cope with the loss of one of their classmates, culminating in a series finale where the team disbands.

After two seasons of Generation X, a follow-up series could launch for Madrox Investigations.

Madrox Investigations

Set after the events of GENERATION X, and assuming because of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST that the events of X-MEN: THE LAST STAND didn't occur, Jamie Madrox (Cam Gigandet) is left rudderless once his government-sponsored team, X-Factor is disbanded (the existence of the team happened off-screen, but was the entire canonical team from X-Factor #70). He decides to open a Private Investigator business in Mutant Town with support from his friends and former teammates Rahne Sinclair (Jane Levy) and Guido Carosella (Domenick Lombardozzi). The series is different in tone from GENERATION X, borrowing from film noir and procedural dramas, investigating a new case in nearly every episode. The over-arching story in season one is the mystery of who is murdering Jamie Madrox's dupes. Other cases involve mysterious wolf attacks that make a prime suspect of Rahne (though it is actually Sabretooth who is responsible), Guido's volatile and destructive relationship with flighty megastar Lila Cheney (Katy Perry?), the mysterious agenda of Jamie's former government liaison Forge (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) who appears to be Jamie's friend and technology source, but is also keeping tabs on the team for government agent Valerie Cooper (Elizabeth Mitchell) for unknown reasons. By episode 4, we introduce Julio Esteban Richter (Cody Longo) to the investigations firm, followed by Theresa Rourke Cassidy (Erin Chambers) in episode 7, who wants the firm to uncover who murdered her father Banshee (Black Tom Cassidy [Colin Farrell] might have had a hand in it). Monet (Jessica Lucas) from GENERATION X joins the team in episode 8, to complicate the attraction between Jamie and Theresa, as does the mysterious amnesiac Shatterstar (Thomas Dekker), who quickly disrupts Rahne's attraction to Julio in an unexpected way for Rahne. Season one ends with the reveal of multiple (pun intended) pregnancies, one for Theresa and one for Rahne. The fathers are more of a mystery, when Jamie isn't sure if he or one of his dupes impregnated Theresa, and Rahne claims Julio fathered her child, but that may not be the case.

In season two, over 13 episodes, we watch the dueling pregnancies unfold for our leading heroines, while we also explore new cases. Guido might be a traitor, as he is accused of murder, former teammate Lorna Dane (Helena Mattsson) goes missing, leading to conflict between Jamie and former team leader Alex Summers (Lucas Till), and revealing Lorna's heritage as a daughter of Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and sibling to Wanda Maximoff (Alexandra Daddario) and Peter Maximoff (Evan Peters), another former teammate Quicksilver. Wanda's madness has a devastating impact on the mutant community, when she depowers a majority percentage of the world's mutants, including Rictor. An exploration of Shatterstar's mysterious roots exposes the firm to Mojo (Wayne Knight), Spiral (Summer Glau), Longshot (Ryan Kwanten), and Dazzler (Lady Gaga?). Dazzler's old buddy Lila Cheney returns, creating more drama in Guido's life and indirectly causing him a heart attack. The firm is nearly bested by the maniacal mind of Arcade (Rupert Grint), but manage to defeat him. The season two finale culminates in the births of both Theresa and Rahne's babies, but one birth leads to a shocking and unexpected tragedy connected to Jamie's mutant powers.

This show could definitely go into season three, exploring more characters in the X-Universe and the core cast's interpersonal relationships.

Thoughts?

#2 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

Over 100 views and no opinions? If you can't say anything nice, you're not saying anything? Anyone interested in these ideas as something you would watch on TV?

Maybe some visual aides?

Attached Files

#3 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

The rest of Generation X casting

Attached Files

#4 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

Core cast of Madrox Investigations

Attached Files

#5 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Guest cast for Madrox Investigations...

Attached Files

#6 RodimusVTS

RodimusVTS

Vortious

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

I actually think that Tyler Mane made a MUCH better Sabretooth, but I suppose if you HAVE to go with the guy who played him in Wolvie's origins that's ok too. The rest of the casting looks pretty much dead on, and the Gen X series sounds pretty interesting though I think that rather than disbanding after the second season they could either Join the main X-men, or one of the other big X-teams, (X-force, X-factor, Excalibre) Have Cable show up, and recruit at least a few. Even have him, and James Marsden (Cyclops) have words about what Cable plans on doing with the young mutants.

#7 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Thanks Rodimus!

I thought Tyler Mane much better physically embodied Sabretooth, but his characterization was so limited in the first X-Men movie, he was practically a hairy zombie. For Schreiber he actually had dialogue and story to play and a point of view, so by that token alone, and for consistency, rather than recasting the role a second time, for TV, I went with Schreiber cause he just had more meat to his characterization in the movieverse.

Glad you dig the casting! I was sold on Summer Glau as Spiral the minute I read she used to be a ballerina. Perfect for the time-dancing femme fatale!

Thoughts of disbanding the Gen X team was really just because the comic run wasn't that long comparatively to other X books, so in what I was able to research on the source material, and to keep the storytelling tight I really just couldn't figure out how to get more than two seasons out of it. Of course certain characters could be established as splitting up, some to join this team, some to go off on their own, some to keep to themselves... that could all be worked out. And of course an introduction like the character of Cable would probably be saved for the movie side of the cinematic universe, but sure cameos could be worked out to tie back into whatever movies are going on around all these seasons of TV.

What did you think of the Madrox Investigations concept?

One thing I struggled with was telling the mini-story of Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/Polaris/Havok, while figuring out casting. It's supposed to be present day, but then why is it the "past" version of the entire set of characters? And yet Madrox seems younger than his character was portrayed in X-Men The Last Stand, so I considered setting the series in the 80s, post-DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, pre-MODERN DAY. That would justify all the younger casting, but then I would get stuck on characters of Monet and Siryn, who would be difficult to explain when Monet is supposed to come out of Generation X, and Siryn is supposed to be Banshee's daughter, but he was so young in FIRST CLASS. I still haven't figured out how to make that work, and I didn't want to have to recast Quicksilver or Havok as older characters.

One of the things that drew me to these ideas, was that nearly all characters are NOT A-listers, but there was enough meat to their characters, histories, and storylines and a strong connection to the overall context of the X-universe to be able to explore parallel to the bigger movie characters, but not be reliant on many of them to tell story.

Thoughts?

#8 QthaGreat

QthaGreat

Trap Jaw

• Members
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

you have some very interesting picks for casting! I like the Generation X idea!

#9 DSmith

DSmith

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thanks QthaGreat!

Which casting ideas were you digging?

I'm flattered (and a little surprised) at the stronger response to the Generation X concept, particularly because the book is long over and the TV movie flopped. But I'm glad I made it sound interesting and worth watching!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us