Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Losing all faith in the line

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Dracos

Dracos

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

So, NYCC brought us nothing.  Hasbro couldn't be bothered to pack a few, tiny figures to promote the 3.75" line.  And we still have a long silence, with no pre-order news on the (maybe?) forthcoming (X-23) Wolverine wave.

Aside from this silence, I have to say that with the latest releases I am really starting to lose interest in this line.  And I've been a pretty big fan.  Heck, I was even able to take the one-two punch of the price going up while the overall quality and (especially) articulation went down.

I guess it's the (possibly) last wave of the single-carded figures that's done it for me.  Hydro-Man, Morbius, Rogue (in a different costume) and Quasar should have been a huge hit for me.  Quasar has been a huge "want" for me, and Rogue is in a Bronze-age costume, which also makes her a pretty (or should I say "totally") awesome selection.  But then what we get turns out to be mostly disappointments.  Morbius and Quasar really suffer from Hasbro going cheap-o  on the paint applications.  Both figures badly need a "wash" effect -- Morbius' glossy paint application makes him look cheap to me (disclaimer: I still don't have this figure -- I'm basing this on the pics I've seen), and Quasar's head pretty much looks like a big, fleshy blob.  For me, what adds insult to injury is that Bobby chose that weird head sculpt for Quasar -- it hardly looks like the character.  I can understand the paint thing -- it's probably due to a horrible budget, which is (most likely) beyond Bobby's control, but when it comes to design decisions the current team is completely responsible.

Which brings me to Rogue.  The figure looks GREAT, to me, EXCEPT for her hair: the huge mohawk is way off-model.  I've complained about this one plenty, and it's because the design team blew what could have been a great figure due to either laziness or incompetence.

I'm actually cool with the Hydro-Man figure.  I would have preferred his original look, but I think the figure does a great job of capturing that version of the character.  Sure, if the lower-body water column had been something that had gone around his legs, and been a removable effect, it would have been WAY cooler, but given the choice between either the water column or legs, I'm very happy with Hasbro's decision.

Adding to the disappointment of the Rogue/Quasar wave is the (likely) final wave of the comic book packs.  The cheap-o Starlord/Gamora pack that gives us two repacks with only minor repaints is pretty underwhelming.  I don't have the Groot/Rocket set.  I want it, hoping that Groot won't be another big disappointment.  To me, if this is the final wave, the comic book packs are definitely going out with a whimper, and not a bang.

So, yeah, I am definitely feeling the effect of so many disappointments, Hasbro's pooping on the line that I collect (sorry, Hasbro, I am NOT going to switch over to the 6" scale!!), and the long silence that we are currently in.  I really have lost faith in the current design team, and I was hoping that the rumors of a change were true, but it looks like it'll remain status quo, if the line continues (and I'm really starting to have doubts, given the continuing silence from Hasbro).

How do the (few) rest of you who are still collecting this line feel at the moment?

#2 Chazwinski

Chazwinski

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, it sucks. I've taken this lull as an opportunity to buy some older figures that I never saw in stores and didn't have the money to order online when they first came out. Northstar, Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Black Knight are all recent buys for me. I also got the new Rogue and agree that they dropped the ball by giving her that hairstyle. I've kept my eyes open for anything past Wave 1 of the revamped line in stores but no luck there. Recently, I started getting minimates again after a two year hiatus. Believe me, I'd prefer 3.75 figures over little lego-like toys, but at least they keep cranking out a variety of characters across many different licenses. 

And No, with the exception of maybe my very favorite characters, I also will NOT be switching to a 6" scale. They take up too much room, they're too expensive, and even though some of them look fabulous, they just aren't my thing. I would also be lying if I said I didn't harbor some resentment towards Hasbro, for their obvious bias towards the fans of the 6" line. Not to mention some of the fans that whine every time we get thrown a bone and cry "Why isn't this 6 inches?!"  uuugggh....LOL.

The bright side is that different scales always come back in demand at some point in time. Since I've been alive, I've seen the scale of choice go from 12" to 8" to 3.75" to 5" to 6" then back to 3.75" and back to 6" again. Unfortunately I will probably be old as hell before it comes around to this scale again... oh well, at least I have my favorites already made you know?

#3 Ddhawkins

Ddhawkins

Mouser

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

Is there a chance the line has been cancelled? Would the 1st wave of next year be up for order? Or is it a bit early? I havnt seen any figures turn up on eBay. As much as I love collecting these figures a lot of the fun has gone out of it since it's become more of an online hobby. It used to be exciting walking in to a shop not knowing wot was gunner be there. Now days you know exactly wots gunner be there(not much).

#4 Yodaminch

Yodaminch

Snakeman

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:09 PM

Typically, wave 1 of the new year is late January/early February going off the past two years. So no case orders is not unusual at this point. In fact if memory serves, the Wasp wave wasn't until mid to late January when it finally started to be available for preorder and then it shipped only a few weeks later. Given how little effort they are putting towards it, I doubt it will be cancelled.

#5 stitch13

stitch13

Parallax

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

This has been the pattern for a few years now. I think it started with the MI Guardians wave. We get everything by the end of summer with nothing released over the holiday shopping season. New waves go up for pre-order around Dec/Jan.

I actually see this as a positive. I hated when Hasbro would drop a new wave of figures right around Black Friday because then we have to compete with a bunch of soccer moms and grandparents who wouldn't normally be buying these. It also takes away my incentive to leave the house during the crazy Christmas shopping rush, so thank Odin for that. People turn into crazy monsters this time of year.

#6 Yodaminch

Yodaminch

Snakeman

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:35 AM

It's the movie season.

Fall: Star Wars

Spring: Marvel

That seems to be the pattern.

#7 QthaGreat

QthaGreat

Trap Jaw

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

ITs been increasingly slower and slower, each year. Less and less production, less and less quality, less and less quantity ... just less and less of everything. I don't know if the line is slowly bing cut but if it is then the signs might already be here.

#8 feihong

feihong

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

That's true, but all of Hasbro's 1:18 scale lines have been cut back considerably. Star Wars has unacceptably diminished articulation and very limited character selection, with GI Joe they're releasing about 8 or 10 figures a year from the looks of things, and with this line we get a little bit off of both ends; reduced articulation and a choked, more limited release schedule. I think what we're seeing is that Hasbro doesn't want to abandon the scale entirely, but they aren't really excited about supporting, like they were, say, 6 or 8 years ago.

#9 stitch13

stitch13

Parallax

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

There's a naive and potentially foolish part of me that wants to believe Hasbro is holding back in order to go all out for Infinity War in 2018. I'm fully prepared to be disappointed, but that's certainly the year to pull out all the stops.

#10 PsychoPirate

PsychoPirate

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

What brings me down is the fact that the 6" Marvel figures get marked down regularly to 3.75" prices, or close to it.  But the big box stores stick on that original price point for a loooong time with the 3.75" figures.  WTH?

But I will not switch.  I love my displays and could just settle in with improving them (in terms of dio pieces, etc.) until 3.75" is in vogue again.

I do buy 6"-7" figures though - but mainly DC and other media.

#11 dragonkings

dragonkings

Beastman

• Members
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

Thinking after next year they may just kill off the 3.75 line finally.

Once these last figures come out they showed they will pull their remaining resources into the 6 inch line that they heavily Promote, Advertise and back with all they have.
(as opposed to the 3.75 line which they ignore, refuse to advertise and put the minimal effort into)

They been doing it with Star Wars too, the high quality figures are their 6 inch line they are pushing while the 3.75 inch are unarticulated stuff that isn't very good. I miss the 3.75 black series.

Then Hasbro will pull resources back into their personal Extended in house Universe lines they been slowly pushing.

We may get Hasbro dipping it's Toe into this Scalebut with the current Guys in charge and all the fan love for the Marvel Legends 6 inch.. that'll be it for a while.

#12 feihong

feihong

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

They released more 3.75 black series star wars figures, albeit as a Walmart exclusive. I got the Jyn Ersa figure recently, and it's very nice. It has torso articulation, full hip articulation...well-made, to my mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro keeps the 3.75 scale Marvel on life support for as long as they can. They seem to feel they're doing okay with much fewer releases of 3.75 figures––the last two years have seen diminished production of 3.75 figures across the board, it seems to me.

#13 Dracos

Dracos

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

So there's finally news for us again!  The upcoming wave looks nice, but I don't have any interest in the current costumes.  I'll still get them, though.

I'm really hoping that 2017 is a better year for the line.  On paper, 2016 should have been one of my favorite years for MU/MI/whatever.  Vance Astro, the Collector, Yondu, Machine Man, Triton, Lockjaw, Ulik, Groot, Quasar, Howard the Duck, Moon Boy, Living Laser, a new Vision, a new Rogue -- a lot of my much-wanted characters.  Unfortunately, the year was the lowest point so far in overall quality.  Sure, we got hit last year with the much-reduced articulation, but this year also saw a real drop in the quality of the sculpts and paint applications as well.  On top of that, it just looks like little-to-no care went into many of the figures.  Of that good-sized list earlier in this paragraph, I'm only happy with like 3 or 4 of the figures.  And the one that I wanted the most (Quasar) was a vast disappointment.

Here's hoping that the new year brings new life into our scale!

#14 CamWV

CamWV

Andorian

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

really wish the line would just die so I can fill in the few holes in my collection and move on

#15 dragonkings

dragonkings

Beastman

• Members
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

meh, 

I don't need a line to die to quit the line,

but IF IT DID......

as far back in EVERY Major TOYLINE that I can recall since the 80's it's always the waves at the end of the line

after the bulk of collectors moved on to the next fad that the rarest and most sought after figures are hidden.

so I'm riding this sucker to near the end.

but it's on life support if that means anything.

#16 PushYouDown

PushYouDown

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Looking at the next announced wave.... AoA Magneto is only a maybe for me. Cap..probably not... Jewel, yes. Shocker...probably not, as I have the old one. Spidey...no. Tombstone, yes.

Only two for sure, same breakdown as the Maestro wave. I'm buying less Marvel comics now so that probably factors into it a little. (I don't own a comic with Cap in that costume or Moon Knight in that costume or Spidey UK as a character, so there's no connection for me). 

#17 stitch13

stitch13

Parallax

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

Looking at the next announced wave.... AoA Magneto is only a maybe for me. Cap..probably not... Jewel, yes. Shocker...probably not, as I have the old one. Spidey...no. Tombstone, yes.

Only two for sure, same breakdown as the Maestro wave. I'm buying less Marvel comics now so that probably factors into it a little. (I don't own a comic with Cap in that costume or Moon Knight in that costume or Spidey UK as a character, so there's no connection for me). 

You should check out the Spider-Verse series (where Spider-UK is somewhat prominent)  and all of it's tie-ins. I'm not a big fan of Dan Slott, but the whole event was fairly good. There are several hilarious and awesome versions of Spidey that pop up.

#18 PushYouDown

PushYouDown

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

You should check out the Spider-Verse series (where Spider-UK is somewhat prominent)  and all of it's tie-ins. I'm not a big fan of Dan Slott, but the whole event was fairly good. There are several hilarious and awesome versions of Spidey that pop up.

For me there's also some annoyance at whoever the hell at Hasbro has a salacious need to do UK characters. Of all the male Spidey variants that came out of Spider-verse--Spider-Punk was the one that should have gotten a figure. He was kind of doable on existing parts too. He would have needed a new head, which probably the deal-breaker there.

#19 feihong

feihong

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

Following the very peripatetic history of recent Moon Knight comic books has been a journey of quiet frustration over the last few years, but some very good comics have come out of it. I really like the suited Moon Knight character that has come out of that, but it really is the suited Moon Knight who is the main Moon Knight character in recent years. That armored look for the release figure is something he uses very little. It's kind of a shame the rumored suited version of the figure hasn't surfaced.

#20 rwsharpjr

rwsharpjr

Cobra Soldier

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Dracos, do you still have access to a retail store's computer?
Which are the figures that we know of that have been announced but not released yet?

#21 Dracos

Dracos

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Sorry, rwsharpjr, I am not ignoring you.

I still have access to the computer system, though there hasn't been anything new for quite awhile.

I wrote down the list for you, then misplaced it.  It will be appearing here, sooner rather than later. :)

For those interested, there were a few figures on last year's list that never saw release.  It looked like Rogue was going to be one of those, but (as we all know) she was released this year.  The others were: Gold Ultron, Executioner (argh!!), and Black Bolt.

Ultron reappeared in this year's listing.  The other two are still completely MIA.

#22 Dracos

Dracos

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Okay, here's the list of characters from the computer that we haven't seen yet for 2017:
Molten Man (really hoping this appears)
Captain Marvel Classic
Suited Moon Knight

Ultron 
Spider-man 2099
Falcon
Archangel
Vance Astro
Nebula
Daredevil
Kamala Khan.

As far as I'm concerned, not a very exciting list.  I wouldn't mind if it was mis-information that Hasbro had leaked.  Molten Man and Classic Captain Marvel both appeared with the Rogue/Hydro-man wave group in the listing.

#23 Axonrey

Axonrey

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

6" got a chunk of those. Maybe they weren't meant for 4"? With both lines called Legends, it would be understandable if they were entered incorrectly.

#24 PsychoPirate

PsychoPirate

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Okay, here's the list of characters from the computer that we haven't seen yet for 2017:
Captain Marvel Classic
Suited Moon Knight

Ultron 
Spider-man 2099
Falcon
Archangel
Vance Astro
Nebula
Daredevil
Kamala Khan.

As far as I'm concerned, not a very exciting list.  I wouldn't mind if it was mis-information that Hasbro had leaked.  Molten Man and Classic Captain Marvel both appeared with the Rogue/Hydro-man wave group in the listing.

Thanks for reposting.  I'm digging the ML Kamala Khan as an enlarged, stretchy version posing with my MU figures.

#25 norinradd

norinradd

Andorian

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Captain Marvel Classic
Suited Moon Knight

Ultron 
Spider-man 2099
Falcon
Archangel
Vance Astro
Nebula
Daredevil
Kamala Khan.

I know this is all merely speculation until we see it at ToyFair this year, but given Draco's past reliability, I am a bit concerned with this list:

-Captain Marvel Classic: Sounds like a repack of the green and white costume of Captain Marvel. I don't believe this is a Carol Danvers figure as we have had them all.
Suited Moon Knight- hopefully not on the limited articulation of the soon to be released update on Moon Knight.
Ultron-a bit late to the party, but may be good fodder for customs
Spider-man 2099-My first thoughts were "are you kidding me, they are going to use that horrible no articulation buck they have given to us with all the last Spidey figs"
Falcon-single card reissue of the falcon cap
Archangel- could be a new sculpt, as the recent Vision was, or a reissue which I am sure would appeal to those who missed it when originally offered.
Vance Astro-reissue from the two pack
Nebula- reissue/repaint from the SDCC infinity gauntlet
Daredevil-perhaps the new costume on the recent 2 pack buck...or perhaps a Netflix costume? It feels as if they have made all of the costumes recently-and this is coming from a big DD fan.
Kamala Khan-I am hopeful for extra/ enlarged hands...I would love to if the made large hand accessories and then gave us an updated Mister Fantastic (and the entire FF for that matter) and Flatman, so the enlarged hands would have other uses.

With this list of potential reissues,anticipated articulation limits/poor choices of molds and meh characters for me, the list leaves much to be desired-especially feeling as if Executionar is being withheld from us once again. Here's hoping for a Thor Ragnarok and Guardians line to be showcased so we can get some more wow figures.
Thanks for sharing Dracos...hopefully we get some fun surprises added here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us