Toyfair 2018 Predictions

tarot

Toyfair is just under a week away today so lets have our annual prediction thread.

I'll just say be realistic with your predictions. but hey I can't stop you.

my predictions

• The first couple of figures for the Spider-man wave later in the year (the one with Doc Ock)
  • The remaining X-men legends from the Apocalypse wave, maybe a preview of next year.
  • one or 2 more of Deadpool and hopefully the BAF (please be Strong Guy just to shut people up)
  • The comic figures of the next Avengers wave (can't show Ant-man just yet)
  • The Thing and maybe the Super Skrull
  • Some of the 2 packs
  • some figures for exclusives.

Toyfair is just under a week away today so lets have our annual prediction thread.

my predictions

• The first couple of figures for the Spider-man wave later in the year (the one with Doc Ock)
  • The remaining X-men legends from the Apocalypse wave, maybe a preview of next year.
  • one or 2 more of Deadpool and hopefully the BAF (please be Strong Guy just to shut people up)
  • Some of the 2 packs

What about Sauron? I wanna shut up too! Lol

my predictions

• Some of the 2 packs

I believe we will be seeing the following:

• The Apocalypse BAF in all his glory and the remaining figures
  • Maybe two or three figures from the second Spider-Man wave
  • The announced figures for the second Deadpool wave, and one or two more reveals
  • The Thing, Super Skrull and Silver Surfer
  • A comic based two pack

I honestly don't expect much from them with the amount of info that's already leaked so far. Of course, I suppose we'll get some more Avengers reveals, some Spiderman reveals, possibly some physical representation of the 2nd Deadpool wave. Big time prediction on that one: there will be a movie DP & Strong Guy will not be the BAF, and after the massive fail of Sasquatch (I'm sorry to be redundant guys but it is 100 percent unacceptable that he's shorter than Juggernaut) I'm not sure they can even do him right if they tried. For once that's not a challenge. It's actual acceptance.

One thing I really feel strongly is that there will be a few comic based 2 packs. I think with the abismal sales of both the Starlord/Ego and Thor/Valkyrie 2 packs they've identified a definite flaw in the game plan and need to move on to one as seen in the Black Panther wave. Basically fill each wave with as many MCU figures as possible and then put out some comic based 2 packs as auxiliaries to those waves. So I'm thinking the Scott Lang & Cassie pack will be comic based and hopefully the Thor, Groot, Rocket 3 pack will be comic based as well. They could use it as a,way to update a Thor figure (with ankle pivot) and also get a comic Rocket out there who's only seen limited release thus far with a teen Groot. Then, I could be totally off base as I usually am. Anyway, what we already know will carry us a large portion of the year. I expect any major reveals beyond that point to take place at SDCC or more so Hascon.

Exactly! Juggernaut was way too large (at least with the classic costume), but ML collectors have this "bigger is better" and "to hell with accuracy" mentality (complain when Thanos is "too short" when he's not, and rejoice when the Juggernaut and Rhino are too big. Plus rationalize Sandman's size. For anyone trying to deny this attitude exists, look no further than people wanting the friggin Kingpin to be a BAF! Totally unnecessary.

Exactly! Juggernaut was way too large (at least with the classic costume), but ML collectors have this "bigger is better" and "to hell with accuracy" mentality (complain when Thanos is "too short" when he's not, and rejoice when the Juggernaut and Rhino are too big. Plus rationalize Sandman's size. For anyone trying to deny this attitude exists, look no further than people wanting the friggin Kingpin to be a BAF! Totally unnecessary.

Im glad Im not the only one that feels Sandman is too big.

Im glad Im not the only one that feels Sandman is too big.

Yeah but he can change his size so.......

That's the rationale I spoke of.

Ya, that's the one I hear the most too. But if that's the case, explain Absorbing Man who isn't known to necessarily grow or Bor who isn't a BAF but uses the same buck and isn't known to be any larger than Thor. These guys are all listed in the 6'1" to 6'5" range and coulda or shoulda been done in scale with the Hyperion or Odinson bucks, but all these figures stand taller than the Colossus figure who is listed at 7'5". I know it seems anal but I know I'm not alone in saying "Just pick a freaking scale and stick with it already". I would gamble to say that most of us don't mind reusing molds as much as just being way outta whack with size accuracy. If Hasbro really expects to be able to outdo everything Toybiz ever did, that's the very least they need to do cuz if TB did anything right (and they did a lot right), the sense of scale was pretty spot on. With a few hiccups here & there.

As far as over all size, I don't necessarily care how damn big a BAF is as long as they do the damn thing right, but at the same time when we get crap like like Mantis (who was good, but absolutely not BAF worthy) and Okoye (who basically set the low bar for the history of BAFs) you can't help but start to think Hasbro's starting to take the cheap route. It literally would have taken less than pennies per thousands to add an extra half inch to the leg portions of the Sasquatch to make him taller than Juggernaut, if only by a little bit. To add to it, you look at something like the Clayface C&C from the much less successful DC Multiverse line (who is bigger than the Hulkbuster BAF, yet still seems very much in scale with the 6" figures), and wonder exactly how much Hasbro is willing to skimp on to save a few pennies. Have we not been staunch and loyal supporters of the line this far, regardless of whether we fall on the MCU or comic side of the fanbase? Have we not stuck with them through the hostile takeover of Toybiz and the Dark Days of ML? It's not a sense of entitlement or an unachievable set of expectation. It's just an issue of product loyalty and it should extend both ways. We've stuck with you this far, don't short change us now on the quality and accuracy I don't think we're out of line to ask for on your part.

Wow. We can finally get Trevor Slattery, Alexander Pierce and Helmut Zemo. Everyone's been screaming for those. Most importantly, another Iron Man & Captain America. I know I speak for everyone when I say "can't wait".

I actually really want that damn Trevor Slattery figure that never got released lol

And the third damn Civil War Captain America figure. Oh well, Hasbro take my damn money for finally giving us an accurate clean shaven Chris Evans head sculpt. Finally we get some MCU Villains!!!!

As far as I'm concerned they need to rerelease ALL the MCU figures now that they have the new face-printing process.

As for those of you still clinging to the fantasy that the MCU figures are selling "abysmally," it kinda makes you wonder if Hasbro knows something you don't.

No they don't. The creative team knows what's really going on but they had to learn to operate within the confines of what the corporate heads at Hasbro expect of them. Basically, the Marvel license was purchased for movie tie in merchandise, not necessarily limited to ML. Honestly, if they could maintain the current operating practices of all the role-play products and games and playsets as they are but let the ML team operate as they would like like to, profits would soar, particularly on the ML side. Dwight has been quoted time and again that there were so many things he wishes he could do with the line, but basically saying, without saying, his hands are pretty much tied when it comes to the expectations for MCU figures. Again, I'm not sure what region your in, but I find it very hard to believe that MCU figures outsell comic figures in any part of the universe, but I suppose it's possible. Through general concensus I get from 90 percent of people on this forum is MCU Thor, Loki, Black Panther, all MCU Netflix and even MCU Doctor Strange figures still litter the pegs and most of them are on clearance. Sure, when and if the MCU Vision figure comes out, I'm there and when a new MCU Black Widow or MCU Wasp or MCU Deadpool come out I'm all over it, but what we don't need is 2 to 3 versions of MCU Captain America or Iron Man or Starlord packed 2 to 3 a case in every damn wave. All the new or under represented characters will fly off the shelf and Cap & IM & Starlord will eventually end up being liquidated and doomed to not breakdown in a land fill for all eternity like so many Atari E.T. game cartridges from the 80's.

As far as I'm concerned they need to rerelease ALL the MCU figures now that they have the new face-printing process.

As for those of you still clinging to the fantasy that the MCU figures are selling "abysmally," it kinda makes you wonder if Hasbro knows something you don't.

And THIS is exactly what I've been talking about! Not only do you all want waves to be completely dominated with MCU, but you even want them all re-released too?!

I can go into any number of TRU's, Targets, Wal-Mart's etc and find the pegs LITTERED with MCU figures! Yes, there are Marvel based figs there too, but never the magnitude of MCU figures The only ones living a fantasy are you MCU honks who get to engage in your "actor love" up close and personal. You guys can't get enough Chris Evans, RDJ and Pratt so much, you want even more! And you couldn't give a damn what it's doing to the line. The very thing that saved it, it killing it all over again.

Hasbro can think they know what they're doing all they want. And yeah, sometimes they do. But the store shelves speak for themselves. I don't live in a huge town, but its not a small one either. Between four walmarts, two walgreens, one target, and one TRU (not including the FYE and Barnes and Noble which are also suffocating in movie figures) there are such steep discounts because every peg is filled with the leftover movie figures from GotG wave one up to the most recent Black Panther wave. You know what's not on the shelves? Not Iron Man, Namor, Black Bolt, Bullseye, Blade, Moon Knight, Tombstone, Beetle, Adam Warlock, or even Death's Head II for that matter! But so many Chris Pratt Star Lords, Charlie Cox Daredevils, and so many BP movie figures that I could army build the BAF if there were enough comic figures to go around. And don't even get me started on the Lokis... So, yeah, delusional, that's it. I'm just seeing things on those shelves...riiiiiight. Good one.

Hasbro can think they know what they're doing all they want. And yeah, sometimes they do. But the store shelves speak for themselves. I don't live in a huge town, but its not a small one either. Between four walmarts, two walgreens, one target, and one TRU (not including the FYE and Barnes and Noble which are also suffocating in movie figures) there are such steep discounts because every peg is filled with the leftover movie figures from GotG wave one up to the most recent Black Panther wave. You know what's not on the shelves? Not Iron Man, Namor, Black Bolt, Bullseye, Blade, Moon Knight, Tombstone, Beetle, Adam Warlock, or even Death's Head II for that matter! But so many Chris Pratt Star Lords, Charlie Cox Daredevils, and so many BP movie figures that I could army build the BAF if there were enough comic figures to go around. And don't even get me started on the Lokis... So, yeah, delusional, that's it. I'm just seeing things on those shelves...riiiiiight. Good one.

And to be clear, he means The INVINCIBLE Iron Man, not RDJ.