Can you predict the pegwarmer?

DSmith

I was talking with Monron in another thread. And there's plenty of ways to speculate about what will pegwarm. So I figured we can make a game of it.

Starting with 2017's releases, let's try to predict the sold-outs and the pegwarmers for each established wave! And is the BAF one that you think will drive sales of the wave? Or no?

Let's imagine there will be 1-2 pegwarmers and the rest will be hard to find. Which is which for each wave?

I'll include the Sandman wave, as it came out so close to 2017.

SPIDERMAN 2017 WAVE 1

Green Goblin

Jackal

Ms. Marvel (Kamala Kahn)

Shocker

Spider-Man 2099 (All New All Different)

Spider-Man (Symbiote)

Spider-UK

GOTG 2017 WAVE 1

Angela

Darkhawk

Drax (movie)

Nova (Sam Alexander)

Vance Astro

Star-Lord (movie)

Yondu (movie)

X-MEN 2017 WAVE 1

Colossus

Cyclops (Jim Lee)

Dazzler (disco)

Polaris

Shatterstar

Sunfire

Wolverine (Old Man Logan)

GOTG 2017 WAVE 2 (RUMORED)

Adam Warlock

Death's Head

Gamora (movie)

Nebula (movie)

Rocket Raccoon (movie)

Star-Lord (comic)

SPIDER-MAN 2017 WAVE 2 (RUMORED)

Beetle

Dead Meat?

Moon Knight

Spider-Man (cosmic)

Spider-Man (movie)

Tombstone

Vulture (movie)

Who will warm the pegs?

GOTG Wave 1

I would have said Drax since he is a repaint but he is a part of the movie and many people didn't get the first one so he will sell. Same for Yondu and Starlord. Angela is the poll winner and a female (which always sells) so she is out with Darkhawk being the runner up. Nova's out because of the All New Avengers and his role in the Ultimate Spider-man Cartoon. so that just leaves Major Victory /Vance Astro since he is so obscure but non comic fans will think he is another Cap (with the shield) so they will avoid him (or collect him for their Cap collection.

X-men Wave 1

Old Man Logan no contest, no accessories, BAF piece or even a iconic costume plus it's just another Wolverine. Cyclops will sell cause we all been asking for that. Colossus will sell because he was hard to find during both of his TB days. Polaris and Dazzler will sell dues to the fan requests and the women. Sunfire and Shatterstar are just slightly and I mean slighty over OML because of their obscurity.

GOTG wave 2

Death's Head. he is just too unknown to sell really well. the movies will sell for movie, and Starlord and Adam Warlock might sell a bit better the Death's Head.

Spider-man wave 2

I can't really predict this until I see something of them or we get some confirmation on Dead Meat.

Spider-UK. Spidey sells but with other more popular versions in the same wave, this is gonna warm.

Yondu. Movie characters peg more than comic version. Ugly figure, won't sell.

Sunfire. Kids don't know him. Wolverine always sells.

The female movie figs will warm in the next wave.

Last wave is speculation.

Well, the Sandman wave hasn't hit my locals so I'm gonna get my prediction in before they hit.

Sandman Wave:

1. Kamala Khan - Now hear me out. As fans of ML we weren't all that disappointed when this one was announced & we were all happy to have her, cuz as I'm prone to say, a new character is a new character & it's another female fig. That being said, is there anyone who realy wanted her all that bad? I could think of at least 30 other characters, male or female that I woulda rather had. She was just the gender, ethnic quota Marvel is pushing right now and they hit them both with one figure.

2. Spider UK - Not much to justify this one. We typically are used to getting a couple of Spideys in every Spider-Man wave, but this wave had just one too many Spideys and that one's name is Jamie Braddox. Sorry fella, you'll sell okay at first but when no one knows who the hell you are and there's 2 cooler, less bland, Spideys to choose from, I expect you to be chillin' on the pegs right next to Speed Demon. Love the new buck tho. Look forward to seeing it used for much more interesting characters.

GOT 1:

1. Drax - My man Drax, I love u. They couldn'ta cast you better, in spite of my intial doubts, but damn, I don't want or need the exact same figure with a new head sculpt. I think maybe it might be a new paint scheme. Who knows. Who cares. Seriously, if I didn't need that BAF piece I'd blow right past you faster than a cheetah with diarrhea.

2. Yondu - I can't imagine too many will argue this one, but I'm sure some will disagree. I'll get it cuz I'm a completist, but a guy painted blue in a trench coat just doesn't translate into a very interesting figure. I like the alt head sculpt and the weapon effect, but it just doesn't push past that "Mordo" level boring. Plus, why the hell did they take away his bow?

X-Men 1:

1. Shatterstar & Dazzler - This is a tie. These are both figures that have been decades in the making so my initial reaction was excitement. Little did I know they would be choosing designs from those very decades. Dazzler has been in high demand for years, yet I don't think even 1% of the people demanding her thought it would be from the most gaudy era of the character's personal history. Disco Dazzler hit me from way out in left field. Yet, I will get her under the understanding that we will most likely not see another Dazzler figure for a very long time, if ever. Damn guys, blue leotard Dazzler woulda been so easy to do. Similarly, the the Leifeld Shatterstar is by far the most ridiculous looking version of the character, as is the Leifeld version of every character he ever drew, created or helped create. Just goofy. As with most, sales will initially be positive, but novelty of the new will soon give way to ugly design.

GOTG 2:

1. Gamora - Same as Drax. Nobody cares. I don't expect anything new. There's been no relevant upgrade on her look from the previous movie so I expect this figure to be just as lame as the first one. Zoe Saldana is generally an attractive woman, but casting her shockingly thin ass as Gamora was the biggest swing & wiff since.......well the casting of Zoe Saldana's sickly boney ass as Uhura for Star Trek. And whoever pulled the trigger on the last figure's head sculpt is in line for the worse dick punch of their life. It all resulted into one of the ugliest & boring figures I ever purchased. Buuuuut, I'll do it again, tho I don't think very many others will. A battle suit Gamora woulda gone over way better.

2. Nebula - Hate to keep harping on the ladies but it's no secret the female figs don't sell well anyway, but figure in the obscurity of this figure through the comic world and an execution most likely to be as frail & puny as the Gamora fig and I don't see anyone but the hardcore MCU fans and completist picking this one up. Book your trip to the isles of clearance baby, cuz that's your final destination.

Spider-Man 2: with the lack of info I'll limit my prediction to one.

1. Beetle - Even tho I bought the other two I don't recall there being all that much demand for any of them. This one strikes me as no different. As I've said time and time again, Prowler, Scorpion, Tarantula, Doc Ock, Mysterio, Cardio, Vermin, Hydro Man & Silver Sable are still waiting patiently in the wings, yet all these Beetles keep managing to climb over everyone like a drunk cougar trying to get to the stage at a Whitesnake concert.

As far as "Dead Meat", I have a sneaking feeling this is probably gonna be the much demanded Blade figure they've been teasing us with for like 5 years. But, with the weird decisions Hasbro's been making lately don't be surprised if it's the 1970's Blaxploitation version of him or even worse.....Wesley Snipes!

Sorry I have a tendency to be long winded, but I hate to make predictions, or actually say anything at all without sufficient explenation or justification. It's just "a thing" with me. Just like "quotation marks".

Monron I could read your long-windedness for as long as you can... wind. ?

I don't disagree with you about the character design choices you outlined... BUT I think/hope that Hasbro learned their lesson from the epic fail of the first Gamora movie figure. So I'm hoping for bigger and better things from the second attempt on Gamora and the début of Nebula. Color me a hopeless optimist.

I also agree on the design choice for Dazzler, but I think they strategically did it in the thought that collectors will buy her fearing this will be the only Dazzler ever made and then a year from now we'll get our blue leotard Dazzler that was made famous by the "Pryde of the X-Men" cartoon and the old arcade game. And people will gobble that version up and toss Disco Dazzler into their drawer. Personally, though it's off the wall, I will enjoy Disco Dazzler with the same amusement I get from looking at Batroc with that crazy mustache, or Deadpool's taco, or Machine Man's extended limbs or the crazy flaming pumpkin head on Jack O'Lantern... the roller skates and the Pearlescent flared jumpsuit with a popped collar and the disco ball hanging around her neck is just a novelty you'll never find anywhere else. I suspect I won't be able to find one damn X-Men Legend. Except maybe Old Man Logan, which I suspect is labeled "Wolverine" on the box because he looks the least like the Wolverine most people know, and Hasbro is fearful people will pass him by because he's just an old man who forgot to clip his nails.

From everywhere that I've seen the Sandman wave, the two figures I have NOT seen at retail have been ANAD 2099 and Ms. Marvel. While Kamala Khan can be accused of tokenism by Marvel, I do think the figure will still move (and has) because she's portrayed as a relatable teen girl heroine who is aspirational for girls and has fun visual powers that are replicated well in the figure. Jackal has been collecting dust in droves, and I think he just doesn't have the profile to move the figure, and no one knows who he is. I had to research him, and discovered his contributions, which are notable, but he's not been in a movie or on TV (was he ever on the OLD 90s Spider-Man cartoon?). I assume 2099 is moving because he's a fresh, vibrant looking figure with stark contrasts that still looks like a Spider-Man. I've never been the biggest Spider-Fan, but I'm starting to appreciate the novelty of the Spider-Verse and having all these versions of Spidey, and my new big want is Spider-Punk. If you don't know him, google image search him. I don't know how I converted so suddenly.

I'm so curious to see how these predictions shake out! I'm sure there will be regional results also... but I'd love for us to compare our findings to this prediction thread as the waves are released.

Monron, Liefeld did give us Deadpool. So that's something I guess.

Yeeeahhh...kinda, but not really. Now before I go on one of my long winded "rants" I wanna first say that I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm 100% open to anyone else's opinion, but right now I'm just gonna state facts. Also let me say I was very much a fan of Liefeld back in the haydays of the X-titles and I don't deny his contribution to Marvel & comics in general. He'll never get the credit he deserves but at the same time he's not quite the brilliant creator & trailblazer he fancies himself to be.

That being said, Leifeld did have a hand in Deadpool but by basic fact he has less to do with him that anyone realizes. He basically borrowed the Deadpool character, down to almost the exact name, from Slade Wilson (Deathstroke) from DC comics. Now in his defense, Deadpool was never intended to be a mainstay. He was only meant to be a one-off & a satire of the Deathstroke character, but much like Wolverine the fans took to the character more than expected, enough that they realized they could expand in it. Here's the kicker, tho. Even tho Leifeld designed the characters look and overall concept the one who fleshed out the character's personality and mannerism was the "real" writer of X-Force, Fabian Nicieza. Tho Liefeld is credited as the creator & writer of X-Force he was actually the plotter & Nicieza was the real writer & scripter.

There begets the question. What makes Deadpool, the suit or the story? You could take any suit and put it on Wade and he would still be Deadpool. You could take the suit and put it on anyone else and obviously it's a different character. So did Liefeld "create" Deadpool? I prefer to think he "borrowed" the concept from another creator and Nicieza created the character we now know as Deadpool. This is completely backed up by the fact that Liefeld split for Image just a short time after introducing him, but Nicieza not only stuck with X-Force but he created Deadpool's trademark personality and back story & gave him his characteristic 4th wall point of view & even drove his solo title from inception.

So....kinda. Like I said Liefeld may not get enough credit for his contribution to the comic industry, but Nicieza doesn't get nearly enough credit for being the true creator of one of the most iconic characters to come along in a long time

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this thread because a few of these waves have been available now.

My findings:

SANDMAN WAVE

-Jackal, Black Spider-Man, and Green Goblin are the ones I have seen in ABUNDANCE across all my travels. Goblin surprises me a little, since he's such a classic villain, but there you go.

-I've seen maybe one or two Shocker and Spider-UK, and he looks similar enough to Spider-Man I can see that him selling with parents who find him the closest looking thing to Spider-Man that will shut their kids up about having a new Spider-Man figure.

-I have NEVER seen Kamala Khan or 2099 at retail. My comic book store in NYC, Forbidden Planet, sold out of her first, and when she recently came back in, she was merchandised behind the register in a shelved glass case with other specialty interest product, so you'd have to ask the cashier to let you look at her. I have already caved and bought her online, so I haven't bothered to ask if they're charging more for her.

TITUS WAVE

-It's still newer on shelves, but first impressions so far, the abundance have been Star-Lord, Yondu, and Vance Astro. Star-Lord being 2 per case is probably helping him linger on shelves, while Vance Astro is unrecognizable to the general population who has never read a comic book. Yondu is the one I've seen least out of these three, but he was at two visits to Target and at one Toys R Us, he was the sole survivor on the pegs to prove the wave EVER arrived at the store.

-I've seen maybe one or two Drax. This might be because of sleeper popularity from the movie, OR lingering more because people picked up GOTG1 Drax and they don't even realize he has a new head sculpt, so they think they already own this figure.

-I've NEVER seen Angela, Darkhawk, or Nova. None of these surprise me as they all have devoted cult followings (Darkhawk a fan vote character, Nova a popular new kid character, Angela a sought-after scantily-clad female who gained fame in the pages of Spawn and notably jumped to Marvel. The fanboys will scour the aisles for these characters. A minor motivator could be the Titus parts they come with (but really who cares about Titus?), since you need the head and torso from these purchases, so on the off chance the customer wants a big angry space tiger/man hybrid with an arm cannon, they will pick these up even if they don't want the main packaged character.

These impressions are solely based on visits to multiple Targets and Toys R Us. My Walgreens in NYC are notorious for not getting anything new or on time. Things will pop up on shelves months or years after expected dates.

WARLOCK WAVE

-My local Targets via Brickseek have stalled out when it comes to new shipments of this wave. The only figures I have EVER seen on pegs are the three I bought, which were Shatterstar, Sunfire, and Dazzler (who made it off a peg and into a go-back cart, so someone reconsidered her purchase last minute?)

-Haven't seen the rest, but with the fervor I've seen on the message boards and in "hunt" videos on YouTube, the craze seems to be for Cyclops and Colossus the most. They also seem to be costing the most by scalpers on outlets like eBay and Amazon in these initial weeks.

-Old Man Logan has no Warlock part, and comes 2 per case, but with the new movie may see a higher sell rate.

-Polaris I'd probably lump into the group I acquired in my one successful Target run, but was just unfortunate in that someone got to Polaris first. I don't see her being highly sought after.

Have any of your hunt experiences been yielding different results in who is pegwarming?

My findings:

SANDMAN WAVE

-Jackal, Black Spider-Man, and Green Goblin are the ones I have seen in ABUNDANCE across all my travels. Goblin surprises me a little, since he's such a classic villain, but there you go.

-I've seen maybe one or two Shocker and Spider-UK, and he looks similar enough to Spider-Man I can see that him selling with parents who find him the closest looking thing to Spider-Man that will shut their kids up about having a new Spider-Man figure.

-I have NEVER seen Kamala Khan or 2099 at retail. My comic book store in NYC, Forbidden Planet, sold out of her first, and when she recently came back in, she was merchandised behind the register in a shelved glass case with other specialty interest product, so you'd have to ask the cashier to let you look at her. I have already caved and bought her online, so I haven't bothered to ask if they're charging more for her.

TITUS WAVE

-It's still newer on shelves, but first impressions so far, the abundance have been Star-Lord, Yondu, and Vance Astro. Star-Lord being 2 per case is probably helping him linger on shelves, while Vance Astro is unrecognizable to the general population who has never read a comic book. Yondu is the one I've seen least out of these three, but he was at two visits to Target and at one Toys R Us, he was the sole survivor on the pegs to prove the wave EVER arrived at the store.

-I've seen maybe one or two Drax. This might be because of sleeper popularity from the movie, OR lingering more because people picked up GOTG1 Drax and they don't even realize he has a new head sculpt, so they think they already own this figure.

-I've NEVER seen Angela, Darkhawk, or Nova. None of these surprise me as they all have devoted cult followings (Darkhawk a fan vote character, Nova a popular new kid character, Angela a sought-after scantily-clad female who gained fame in the pages of Spawn and notably jumped to Marvel. The fanboys will scour the aisles for these characters. A minor motivator could be the Titus parts they come with (but really who cares about Titus?), since you need the head and torso from these purchases, so on the off chance the customer wants a big angry space tiger/man hybrid with an arm cannon, they will pick these up even if they don't want the main packaged character.

These impressions are solely based on visits to multiple Targets and Toys R Us. My Walgreens in NYC are notorious for not getting anything new or on time. Things will pop up on shelves months or years after expected dates.

WARLOCK WAVE

-My local Targets via Brickseek have stalled out when it comes to new shipments of this wave. The only figures I have EVER seen on pegs are the three I bought, which were Shatterstar, Sunfire, and Dazzler (who made it off a peg and into a go-back cart, so someone reconsidered her purchase last minute?)

-Haven't seen the rest, but with the fervor I've seen on the message boards and in "hunt" videos on YouTube, the craze seems to be for Cyclops and Colossus the most. They also seem to be costing the most by scalpers on outlets like eBay and Amazon in these initial weeks.

-Old Man Logan has no Warlock part, and comes 2 per case, but with the new movie may see a higher sell rate.

-Polaris I'd probably lump into the group I acquired in my one successful Target run, but was just unfortunate in that someone got to Polaris first. I don't see her being highly sought after.

Have any of your hunt experiences been yielding different results in who is pegwarming?

This is interesting because in my area Khamala is the most abundant next to black suit spidey and the Jackal.

Guardians wave is clearly: all of them, minus Angela and maybe Nova. All others are pegging already.

Warlock wave: all have actually been pretty hot sellers with Cyclops and Collossus the usual first two to go yes.

Starlord is peg warming hard......I see him everywhere I go with most of the wave gone. I would have bet good money it was going to be Vance Astro but for some reason he is selling.

One of the hardest figures I have only see literally once in the wild is Scarlet Witch (movie) the right female figures sell better than the males sometimes.

Are you guys actually seeing the X-Men wave on shelves? Other than the ones I bought today I have only seen Old Man Logan and Dazzler and they were both gone by the end of the day.

The Guardians wave is weird to me. I #$@# you not at Walmart the other day the entire wave was gone except Angela and Darkhawk! What the hell? Everywhere else those two are the first to go. I am thinking maybe a non adult collector actually bought some Legends? I truly believe children make up at the very most 10% to 15% of Marvel Legends sales. Kids don't buy toys anymore. They play with devices. If they do ask for toys its blind bags or video game related like Minecraft or Five Nights at Freddy's. Which is why the should give us sharp claws and guns.

Are you guys actually seeing the X-Men wave on shelves? Other than the ones I bought today I have only seen Old Man Logan and Dazzler and they were both gone by the end of the day.

The Guardians wave is weird to me. I #$@# you not at Walmart the other day the entire wave was gone except Angela and Darkhawk! What the hell? Everywhere else those two are the first to go. I am thinking maybe a non adult collector actually bought some Legends? I truly believe children make up at the very most 10% to 15% of Marvel Legends sales. Kids don't buy toys anymore. They play with devices. If they do ask for toys its blind bags or video game related like Minecraft or Five Nights at Freddy's. Which is why the should give us sharp claws and guns.

I use Brickseek to save me unneccesary trips, so I've seen the wave several times. Still chasing after Colossus but I've seen Cyclops several times now.

I may not be the best judge on this since I really don't "hunt" per say (sans exclusives) as I do most of my hunting through EE preorders. Whatever doubles of ML I wind up with from the EE case I can always offload to my other collecting buddies BUT since most Marvel 3.75 waves offer more than 1 double in the case and since NONE of my friends collect 3.75 besides me, I do usually hunt for my MU. Having said that, I did some small hunting over the past week or so for the new MU stuff, the TRU Groot and some McFarlane color tops/Neca Predators & Aliens, etc and was able to score on everything.

In my experience:

1. Sandman Wave-Kamala

P.S. Has anyone else found the running change/variant of Shocker? He comes with a belt with a Thunderbolts logo on it. Weird.

2. Titus Wave: Star Lord but that's not the least bit surprising as he is the two per case fig. I have actually seen the entire wave 3 times over, all figures. Angela and Darkhawk moving faster than others should not come as a surprise to anyone also and so much so I'm not even going to elaborate as to why. Additionally, I've seen Darkhawk and Angela several times at separate Walgreens...

3. Warlock Wave: haven't seen a single figure lol

Yeah it was pretty strange to see the Shocker Tbolt Belt and I can't take credit for discovering it as my buddy is actually the one who found it and showed me it. The thing I find most odd is that I believe I've read a FAIR amount of Tbolts comics over the years (i haven't read EVERY issue) and I don't ever recall Shocker being on the Tbolts roster lol.

First of all good call Cobra. I need to start hunting Shocker again.

Second, what is brickseek?

Saw two Shockers today, no belts on either.

Brickseek.com is a site where you can run Walmart and Target codes and check their inventory. Good to see if they have certain waves in stock, to save you a trip or to get you a leg up on the scalpers (who likely use brickseek as well).

According to pics I have seen online, there is no physical belt, it is just a printed TBOLT emblem, where a belt buckle would be. Exactly like the Boomerang figure, but the color of the emblem is gold.

I've seen this in illustrations, and it's frustrating, but I guess I need to start looking again.

And Brickseek is awesome! As long as you know the DPCI code of your wave, you can type it in, with your zip code, and it'll tell you on-hand and sellable units according to distance from you. ONLY thing with the X-Men wave, is that it shares the DPCI with the Juggernaut wave, so it may be telling you quantities of THAT, instead of Warlock wave. You'd have to go to the store to see which X-Men wave they are. But for me, most of my local stores are at low or 0 inventory. But I check it every day, so if I see a sudden jump in inventory, I know they got a shipment. So I keep checking..........

Polaris will be the warmer for Warlock wave. Every other figure is gone in at least 24 hours after being stocked except for poor Polaris. I think Dazzler gets by on the novelty factor...for now.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong but Brickseek did not seem to work right for me. It allows me to search individual figures but it said they didn't have one that I had literally just seen there.

Polaris will be the warmer for Warlock wave. Every other figure is gone in at least 24 hours after being stocked except for poor Polaris. I think Dazzler gets by on the novelty factor...for now.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong but Brickseek did not seem to work right for me. It allows me to search individual figures but it said they didn't have one that I had literally just seen there.

The numbers for the individual figures won't do anything for you because they aren't stocked individually. You have to use the assortments' numbers because that's how they're stocked.

My findings:

SANDMAN WAVE

TITUS WAVE

WARLOCK WAVE

Yeah, all of the Targets around me have stalled on receiving more of the Warlock wave. I've a sinking feeling that it'll be a minute before they show up in the Louisville area again.

As for peg warmers:

Sandman - Jackal and Black SM

Titus - Starlord

Warlock - lol