Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Avengers Movie keeps number 1 spot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigBearJahlon

BigBearJahlon

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

I love comics .... period!!! I don't care it if it Image, DC, Marvel, IDW, Dark Horse, etc., ... If the product is good, I will acknowledge it. Same with Comic based movies.

After seeing the Avengers, the bar was seriously raised. I guess DC and WB sees that now.

http://movies.msn.co...spx?news=745332

While I thought the Batman series was very good, I never thought every single film was super fantastic. And while DKR was pretty tight, it was no Avengers.

(Heck, in my opinion, I thought Spidey 1 & 2, and Iron-Man were better, and even Hellboy were better than the Dark Knight, but I guess I was alone in that opinion).

what film did you all think was better?

what are your top 5 comic based movies?

#2 DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Mouser

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

I told my friend that Avengers is a better comic movie and Batman is a better graphic novel movie if that makes sense. DKR was a disappointment to me leaving Dark Knight as my favourite of the three movies. Comparing Avengers vs DKR is hard because they tell two totally different types of stories so I don't think its fair to say one is worse than the other. For me marvel seems to not be able to wrong with their movie universe nowadays, I think we Disney backing them its just going to reach higher and higher. Anways my top 5 are

1. Avengers
2. Dark Knight
3. Captain America
4. X-Men First Class ( Would have been higher if it was the actual first class)
5. Watchmen

#3 uberlad

uberlad

Quintesson

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

My top 5

1. Spider-man 2
2. Avengers
3. The Dark Knight
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America

I loved Spider-man 2. It's the only comic book movie that was compelling and got the bad guy right. The Avengers was great, but my only complaint was that the Chitari weren't super-compelling. The Heath Ledger Joker pencil scene still gives me nightmares, and this film might rank higher if they did a better job with Two-Face. Iron Man makes the list because it showed how to make a fun super-hero movie that didn't take itself too seriously. It made me not dislike Iron Man. Finally, I put the Cap movie up there because I thought that movie was a blueprint for future comic book movies: it was respectful to the source material, but it wasn't a slave to it like Watchmen. Thor almost made my list because it was way better than I expected, Batman from 1988 almost made it purely for personal reasons, and I considered Mystery Men from the 90's just because it was fun, and it had a Violent Femmes song on the soundtrack.

#4 BigBearJahlon

BigBearJahlon

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

I almost forgot about the Mystery Men movie.
Looking back, there were some good hero flicks.
And while I know that a top 5 only pick is tough, I have a list:

The Avengers
Spider Man 2 (just can't figure out why they have to unamsk Spidey in EVERY flick)???
Iron Man/ Iron Man 2 (a tie for me)
X-Men: First Class
Superman 2

Yes, the original Batman with Keaton was great, and Captain America was a fantastic flick, but something about Superman acually facing threats equal to his power was something new at the time and hard to match. The Abomination vs the Hulk came close.

Honorable mention goes to Spider Man as that set a new bar for hero films. Today that new bar is set by the Avengers.

#5 damprime

damprime

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

For me:
1. Avengers
2. Batman 1989
3. Spider Man
4. Blade
4. Iron Man
Yeah. I know what you're probably thinking. Blade? Understand the first one had a more serious tone than the last two with a hell of alot more action than IM. But Iron Man's story and special effects were better. Both movies portrayed the characters better than I expected and I have no problem watching them anytime at my leisure. That's why they tie for me. The first Blade was dark with action that was believable for his character. Not the Superman like stuff in the last two movies of his. Downey must have drawn on some personal experience to play Stark. Because he really does the alcoholic and arrogant thing spot on. As far as Keaton's Batman goes. Well it was a fun movie but still dark. The Joker showed all aspects of his personality. The sick and twisted spur of the moment violence he dealt out calling it art. I thought the portrayal of Bruce being disturbed as well was great. He was shown as somewhat loony. I mean just standing up in the middle of gunfire doing nothing but staring at the Joker as it was happening all around him. What kinda grown man does dress up as a bat and goes around swinging from rooftops. Driving around town in a cool as hell car called the Batmobile. The best one ever to me by the way. Despite his easy going self as Bruce he was deadly serious as Batman. I liked the idea he had no problem letting some of the Jokers henchmen die if it came to that as well. And several did directly or indirectly by him. You know like blowing up the plant with most of Jokers gang inside or letting the big guy fall through the belfry. All climaxing with two nutjobs trying to determine who's worse. Anyway my favorite Batman. Plus he didnt sound like he was trying to take a crap when he was talking. lol.

#6 BigBearJahlon

BigBearJahlon

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

@ Damprime, I agree with you exceptthat I preferred Blade 2 over the others.
The first.Blade was a little too demonic for me, and the third one simply tried to hard.
And their version of.Vlad was weak.
Now Blade 2, that proved that Marvel field make a great comic movie.
It was because of Blade 2 (& the original Xmen) that Columbia believed they could have success with the
Spiderman project. And your know how well that turned out.
It was a fast alert with a twist in the vampire theme.

That is my opinion. I would put Blade 2 in my top 10.
Along with the Keaton version of Batman.
And yeah that scene where he spazzed out focusing on the Joker in the midst
Of gunfire proved that Bruce had issues.

#7 damprime

damprime

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

You're right about Blade 2 being a proving point for marvel. The story was good and the princess was sexy and I hate she died. Still it was the fights between Blade and the villain that pushed it over a little too much for me. I know Blade is strong but not like that. At least he. got his butt kicked some in the first one and he felt physical pain too. But is in my top 10 though.
On Batman I wish the newer ones let us get more in the minds of the characters the way Burton's first two did. The Dark Knight left me hangin about who the Joker really was and where he came from. Great acting by Ledger but loose strings.

#8 QthaGreat

QthaGreat

Trap Jaw

• Members
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, so I can't make an honest opinion between the two films but here are my top five so far.

1. Avengers

2. The Dark Knight

3. Captain America

4. X-Men First Class

5. Watchmen

#9 Zedhatch

Zedhatch

Snakeman

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I like both equally to be honest, but I don't think either are the best of the best.

1. X-Men 2 (seriously I still feel that way)

2. Superman II, Granted the effects are dated and there is that weird S thing that is annoying but it still is a cool movie.

3. Iron Man-The movie that kicked the door open on Marvel movies.

4. The Dark Kinight-Love the film but there are moments I don't like, the are very few and far between though.

5. Spider-Man, Just for showing you can take the essental elements of a few comis stories and make something great from it.

#10 Dodge76

Dodge76

Stormtrooper

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Avengers
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins
Spiderman 2

#11 BigBearJahlon

BigBearJahlon

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Do you guys think Marvel can repeat a hero team success without solo movies to build upon?

Example, they are about to do the GOTG without an Adam Warlock solo?

Can they do it like the FF or even the Watchmen and still do well?

@ Zedhatch: I love X-Men 2. It would be in my top 10 or 20, but better than Avengers?

#12 Warspectre

Warspectre

Captain Superstrong

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Avengers. Best movie ever.

X3. Featured my favorite character, Colossus, the most. but that is the only reason. lol

Incredible Hulk. favorite look for hulk. Norton also looked the most like Banner.

X2. Had Colossus in it...briefly.

Anything other than; the Christian Bale Batman movies, the Ironman movies, and Captain America.

If you disagree...Move On. I didn't attack anyone elses opinions in this thread.

#13 SeanPary

SeanPary

Nameless Thug

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Avengers movies always perform nicely on charts. This time it was even better including so many remarkable characters so it was expected to rock.

List of Avengers

#14 Devilbat

Devilbat

Cobra Soldier

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

5. Iron Man

This movie proved to the world that Iron Man was a cool concept that was way ahead of its time. It was also alot of fun to watch Tony Stark grow from a self-absorbed, multi-billionaire genius to someone that realizes they have the means and the ability to do something good for humanity. It's excellent.

4. Superman Returns

I know, I know...how can I have this film on my list and not any of the Christopher Reeves films, you may ask. As much as I love the older films, they're not aging very well in terms of effects and relevancy. Superman Returns made Superman cool and relevant in films again, and it showed what was possible with modern special effects, and they retained the look and feel of the older films in terms of score and theme. It may not be the blockbuster others on my list are, but I love its heart.

3. Captain America: The First Avenger

Once again, this movie showed me just how cool the character of Captain America is when you explore what he's all about, what the core of the character is meant to be and stands for. And it's one of those comic films that doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. It's just a fun adventure/origin story that's very well done, and it really honors the heart of the character.

2. The Avengers

I really wanted to put this movie at number one on my list, but I have a real good reason why I didn't, and I'll get to that in a minute. But The Avengers was just an extremely cool payoff after a fun build-up with the Iron Man films, Thor, and Captain America. It's almost as if those other films were prequels of sorts that set the stage for The Avengers. It was the most fun I'd had at the movies in a long time, an I can't wait to get the Blu-ray. But it's not number one. Number one for me is...

1. Batman

The original 1989 film is my number one all-time favorite comic book movie. Why? Well, for me...I'm old enough to remember re-runs of the original campy tv show and the long wait for a cool movie version. I remember reading about the progress of the development and production of the film, and anticipating actually seeing Batman in a movie. I remember the controversy surrounding the casting of Michael Keaton in the titular role, along with the "Wha...?!" reaction I myself had. (lol) I remember seeing those early spots on tv before it came out and getting so excited, and man do I remember seeing it the first time in the theater and the success of it along with the merchandise being absolutely everywhere. I remember buying the cheesy Toybiz action figure and listening to the equally cheesy "Batdance" from the soundtrack by Prince. The film and everything about it was just seared into my brain, and it defined what a comic book movie should look like for many years following its success. I can still see its influence in everything from the Nolan Batman films to even Watchmen. (The character of Nite-Owl is clear evidence of this.) And if you were fortunate enough to see this film when it came out, you may, like me, have had the feeling that it was such an instant classic. It just felt so familiar, it was so well-done and so original. It seemed to walk the line between camp and serious darkness, and no other comic film to date, in my mind, has ever been able to pull off that balance so well. Not even the Nolan films. Don't get me wrong...in my mind , those movies are near-perfect masterpieces when it comes to comic book films. But they're pretty dark and very, very serious. They're almost hard to watch at times, but it suits the character and his world extremely well. The original film was fun like what you always expected a Batman live-action film to look and feel like, yet it wasn't so dark you couldn't relate to the character and his world. Somehow Tim Burton made a movie that looked like a modern comic book come to life, and that made it fun.

I wish I could put many more films on this list, but if I had to choose just five, it'd be these.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us