Best non-Legends Iron Man for display

ender82

I am looking for a new Iron Man to grace my display shelf. I currently have the old Toy Biz one which I love, but I want to update. I want an Iron Man that is to scale with the Marvel Legends figures (which means Iron Man should be larger than Captain America!) There are some great Iron Man figures out there, but if you guys have any opinions, I'd like to know. I'm currently leaning towards the Armorize Iron Man by Sentinel (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SNT10067&mode=retail) or the RevolTech Mark VII (http://www.amazon.com/SCI-FI-Revoltech-Series-No-042-Japanese/dp/B00ABAN0X8/ref=pd_sim_t_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J6YZC1KPEZDS6EEMS3M) or the Figma Iron Man figure! I don't know! Should I stick with the old Toy Biz? It's been good to me.

post-50880-0-77286700-1414942287_thumb.jpg

You're absolutely right about the scale of nearly all ML Iron Man figures. Hasbro did a bit better with the Heroic Age/Bleeding Edge armor, but I still think it's smaller (in height) than it should be. It had the proper girth (or thickness). The funny thing is according to Marvel, Tony Stark stands 6'6" in his armor, yet he's never shown as the same height as Thor (who also stands 6'6"). I once used the Marvel Select version from the second movie, but that one was slightly too big. It's even worse with Cable. Now that ML has released a Stryfe figure that's accurate in scale, collectors can't even set up Cable with him because all Cable figures are too small. I'm awaiting the arrival of the MS version coming out next year. It should be around the same size as both the ML and MS Heroic Age Thor(s). Here's hopin'!!! If you find a good match on Iron Man, let us know!

Now I'm thinking the Bleeding Edge by Sentinel (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SNT10058&mode=retail)

Looks gorgeous. Pricey though. Top three at this point are

1. Figma Iron Mark VII (good review here: http://thefwoosh.com/2014/10/figma-the-avengers-iron-man-mark-v11-the-greatest-marvel-legend-never-made)

2. Sentinel Armorized Iron Man

3. Sentinel Bleeding Edge Iron Man

Let me know if you guys know of any side-by-side comparisons like the above fwoosh article!

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't recommend you any 7'' Iron Man action figure. They are pretty big for Marvel Legends scale.

My Marvel Select Iron Man 2 MK VI action figure still looks gigantic next to the Bleeding Edge Iron Man (the biggest ML Iron Man figure)

Also, scratch any Bandai or Revoltech action figure. They're extremely nice (specially Bandai's), but still fall short for ML scale. The Revoltech MK VII figure is taller than the rest, but I still don't like the proportions in the body. Too cartoony.

I would recommend you two Iron Man figures.

* Iron Man 2 Walmart Exlcusive Iron Man MK IV. This action figure is awesome, interchangeable hands and Tony Stark head. The major con? It's super-rare and you will never find it in eBay for less that $120. I was lucky and won an auction for this beauty at $75. Still expensive, but a lot less expensive than $120. One of the things I like the most about this figure is that it presents my favorite armor, the "generic"-type Iron Man armor or modern classic Iron Man armor (circular unibeam, painted red with yellow thighs and biceps). I call it the "generic"-type of Iron Man armor or modern classic because it's always present in most media Iron Man appears in. Avengers Assemble, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Marvel: Puzzle Quest, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which is obviously inspired in and made famous by the first movie. Apart from the "generic"-type armor, the MK IV is my favorite MCU Iron Man armor. If I'm not mistaken, this figure is barely shorter than the Bleeding Edge Iron Man, barely (in my opinion, Bleeding Edge might be a little bit too tall).

* Figma Iron Man MK VII. It's kinda expensive, I want to buy it, and I bet the full spec version will be worth of it. The figure itself is epic, the same height as the Bleeding Edge Iron Man. Extremely good articulation. The full spec version comes with add-ons to interchange and make the figure have flaps, missle launcher (shoulders, arms, and thigh), and a lifted faceplat face. It also comes with a lot of interchangeable hands, and repulsor effects. As it's the MK VII, is pretty close to the "generic"-type Iron Man armor, my favorite.

Other pretty good figures:

* Prototype Iron Man. Compared to today's Iron Man figures, it's short. But it's still taller than Face Off Captain America (and barely shorter than the Modern Iron Man figure you have, comparison here). I really like this figure. It's MCU's MK III (the mother of the "generic"-type Iron Man armor!), with removable helmet, interchangeable hands, removable chestplate and a set of two removable arc reactors (one colored sky-blue and the other yellow). It falls short in the articulation department, the head can only move left and right, it can't move the wrists, torso or hip. And the shoulder pads are a pain in the butt if you want to move the arms certain ways. But, hey! It still looks great!

* Iron Man MK III. Pretty much like the Prototype Iron Man action figure. However, it doesn't come with interchangeable hands, removable chest plate or removable helmet. The pro is that has movable wrists, and a missle launcher. Who doesn't want a missle launcher?

* Iron Man 2 Walmart Exclusive / Iron Man MK VI Iron Man: Armored Avenger Iron Man MK VI / Avengers Walmart Exclusive Iron Man MK VI: The have the same mold as the MK IV figure (except the chestplate, as you can guess). They're pretty good, stand taller than Face Off Captain America too (I think). I dont' really fancy them because I don't like triangular unibeams, or basically anything that is not circular. The Iron Man 2 and the Iron Man: Armored Avenger figures are exactly the same, same, even accessory-wise (one toy missile and two extra set of hands). The main difference between those versions is that the Avengers one doesn't come with interchangeable hands, but with a base. Oh, and it has some extra paint to emulate battle damage. This new paint app is not impressive and is featured in only certain parts of the body (left foot, chest, left hand, and right bicep). But if you prefer your Iron Man with a look that it's been fighting for some time in your stands, choose the Avengers version

* Iron Man 3 Classic Iron Man. If you want to go for something classic. Personally, I would consider more classic any of the "generic"-type armors, because like I said, they're pretty much the default look of Iron Man outside of comics. This figure is shorter than the Bleeding Edge Iron Man, it's not a problem, considering the old Iron Man armors used to be skin-tight, therefore, it didn't make Tony much taller. This action figure comes with an extra head for the proto-classic "horned" helmet. You can find an earlier version of this figure in the Marvel Legends 2-packs, it came with a Maria Hill action figure. The 2-pack version has more instense colors, it didn't emulate the metallic look. The 2-pack version also had an extra set of hands and an interchangeable 60s Tony Stark head.

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful, but all of the Marvel Legend or movie versions you mentioned are smaller than the face-off Captain America. And the Bleeding Edge Iron Man is not the biggest ML Iron Man. The biggest is either the hasbro one I have displayed or the series one version. I think i'll buy the Armorized Iron Man. I'll post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my Iron Man 2 Mark VI. Scale wise it's pretty right on, perhaps slightly small, but when in flight or action poses it looks fantastic. Looks okay next to Cap, depending on which one you use. I'm currently using the new Target 3-Pack Cap, which is pretty big, but like in the picture, in flight the IM looks fine. I used to have the Toy Biz Modern Iron Man like you have pictured, but was never quite happy with the way it looked. The face was too duckish. I really like how the IM2 Mk 6 looks like the MCU Iron Man, because I always appreciated how much the MCU Iron Man was comic accurate.

I also have the new Cosmic Iron Man from the GOTG series. Maybe not the best if you are looking for a prototypical Iron Man, but a good Alternative. It looks cool in a cosmic display anyway.

post-53044-0-12199100-1418112317_thumb.jpeg

post-53044-0-56292300-1418112321_thumb.jpeg

post-53044-0-30568500-1418112327_thumb.jpeg

post-53044-0-83810500-1418112863_thumb.jpeg

post-53044-0-35718600-1418112879_thumb.jpeg

post-53044-0-03342700-1418113031_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful, but all of the Marvel Legend or movie versions you mentioned are smaller than the face-off Captain America. And the Bleeding Edge Iron Man is not the biggest ML Iron Man. The biggest is either the hasbro one I have displayed or the series one version. I think i'll buy the Armorized Iron Man. I'll post pics.

I have both the Face-Off Captain America and the Prototype Iron Man and they're the same height.

I still wouldn't recommend you any 7'' Iron Man figures (including Armorize Iron Man). They're too big.

You don't need a big Iron Man. According to Marvel's handbooks, Iron Man (including armor, of course) is only 4 inches taller than Cap. (If your Iron Man and your Captain America height the same, the small heigh difference won't be noticed if they're in fight stance)

Face-Off Cap stands 16 cm tall (I mesured it). Armorize Iron Man heights 18 cm (according to their official site).

As an example, Face-Off Captain America stands at the height of Marvel Select Iron Man MK VI's shoulders.

If you want an Iron Man figure which is noticeably taller than Cap, but not too tall, I would still recommend you the Figma Iron Man MK VII. It's a tad bit taller than the ML Duckface Modern Iron Man. You can see a size comparison between the Figma Iron Man and other ML Iron Man here. I would say it's perfect.

I have both the Face-Off Captain America and the Prototype Iron Man and they're the same height.

I still wouldn't recommend you any 7'' Iron Man figures (including Armorize Iron Man). They're too big.

You don't need a big Iron Man. According to Marvel's handbooks, Iron Man (including armor, of course) is only 4 inches taller than Cap. (If your Iron Man and your Captain America height the same, the small heigh difference won't be noticed if they're in fight stance)

Face-Off Cap stands 16 cm tall (I mesured it). Armorize Iron Man heights 18 cm (according to their official site).

As an example, Face-Off Captain America stands at the height of Marvel Select Iron Man MK VI's shoulders.

If you want an Iron Man figure which is noticeably taller than Cap, but not too tall, I would still recommend you the Figma Iron Man MK VII. It's a tad bit taller than the ML Duckface Modern Iron Man. You can see a size comparison between the Figma Iron Man and other ML Iron Man here. I would say it's perfect.

I beg to differ! I, myself am 6'2 and my nephew is 6'6. There is a HUGE difference in the sizes. Just peep Derrick Rose and teammate Jimmy Butler of th Chicago Bulls next to one another. They're 6'3 and 6'7 repectively) Oh and by the way, Thor is listed at 6'6 as well. How do you explain the height difference between he and Iron Man? I admit though 7" figures is slightly too large for for displaying with ML figures. (This goes for Thor as well. The ML Heroic Age Thor is exactly the same height as the Marvel Select).

I beg to differ! I, myself am 6'2 and my nephew is 6'6. There is a HUGE difference in the sizes. Just peep Derrick Rose and teammate Jimmy Butler of th Chicago Bulls next to one another. They're 6'3 and 6'7 repectively) Oh and by the way, Thor is listed at 6'6 as well. How do you explain the height difference between he and Iron Man? I admit though 7" figures is slightly too large for for displaying with ML figures. (This goes for Thor as well. The ML Heroic Age Thor is exactly the same height as the Marvel Select).

I think there's no way 10 cm is a "HUGE" difference. And the difference, taken to a 1/12 scale is less noticeable. Even less if the figures are in fight stance.

By the height difference I guess you're talking about the heigh difference between their figures. I don't have to explain anything, I'm not the one who got his heigh wrong (I really don't have any reference on how big any ML Thor is). But if he's taller than Iron Man, then the only explanation is that Hasbro fricked up, like they've done a lot of times, even with the height of the same character in different figures.

Cool. Thanks for link! That comparison is exactly what I wanted. I'm buying the Armorize version, just because I like it and I'll post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really nice.

I want to show you a pretty useful comparison between Face Off Cap and some of the Iron Man figures I've been mentioning here:

Comparison.jpg

As you can see, the Prototype Iron Man is the same height as Cap. The Iron Man 2 MK IV is slighty taller. And the Bleeding Edge Armor has the most comic-accurate height difference.

Additionally, you can see that the Marvel Select Iron Man MK VI is hella big compared to the rest. And it's a 7" figure. Too big. Which means that the Armorize Iron Man figures will be too big as well.

Regarding the comic-accuracy, I'd say the MK IV action figure can be considered pretty accurate. Ultimate Iron Man used an armor like this one for quite some time, during Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates and up to Sam Humphries' run in Ultimate Comics Ultimates:

Argh.jpgStaffa.jpg

And Marvel NOW!'s Iron Man armor has been drawn by many artists like a repainted MK IV (with black instead of red):

Staffsafs.jpg

• 1 month later...