What Spider-man do you want to come with MJ?

tarot

As many now know the Mary Jane Watson/Parker figure will be a Toy-R-Us exclusive 2 pack with a Spider-man.

My question is which Spider-man. Know Hasbro it will probably be a repack of Pizza Spidey or Mc Farlane Spider-man.

but what if it's not? what do you want the Spidey figure to be?

I personally want it to be the Iron Spider. Not only does that figure reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need a better figure, it will also be a nod to MJ's Iron Spider from the Iron Man comic.

Lol please explain how a Peter Parker & Mary Jane 2pack will also come with a SpiderMan...wouldn't that make it a 3pack? 😄

Assuming we get a actual Parker figure with MJ and not a Spiderman (I think that would make the most sense considering it's been an eternity since we've seen either of those figures made) than I'm all for it. However, at $60...Hasbro is reallllllllly pushing it.

If we wind up getting a Spiderman as opposed to a Parker, I think seeing an updated first appearance Spidey with the classic webbing between the arms (like we see in the new Homecoming trailer for example) would be cool. Regardless, if it's a Spidey they pack with MJ and not a Parker, I'm sure it will be some type of plain, classic style looking Spidey. Totally agree with Iron Spider needing an upgrade though and I'm sure we will see him soon enough.

Personally, I really just want villains more than anything in my Spidey waves but my biggest Spiderman figure "want" would easily be Armored Spidey...I played with the early 90s toybiz one when I was a kid A LOT lol not mention the recent 3.75 one was what I would call a "missed opportunity" and would love to see a well executed version come out.

Lol please explain how a Peter Parker & Mary Jane 2pack will also come with a SpiderMan...wouldn't that make it a 3pack?

Assuming we get a actual Parker figure with MJ and not a Spiderman (I think that would make the most sense considering it's been an eternity since we've seen either of those figures made) than I'm all for it. However, at $60...Hasbro is reallllllllly pushing it.

If we wind up getting a Spiderman as opposed to a Parker, I think seeing an updated first appearance Spidey with the classic webbing between the arms (like we see in the new Homecoming trailer for example) would be cool. Regardless, if it's a Spidey they pack with MJ and not a Parker, I'm sure it will be some type of plain, classic style looking Spidey. Totally agree with Iron Spider needing an upgrade though and I'm sure we will see him soon enough.

Personally, I really just want villains more than anything in my Spidey waves but my biggest Spiderman figure "want" would easily be Armored Spidey...I played with the early 90s toybiz one when I was a kid A LOT lol not mention the recent 3.75 one was what I would call a "missed opportunity" and would love to see a well executed version come out.

first im sorry to say that Hasbro will never just release 2 civilians in a box set. maybe a civilian and hero but never 2 civilians. it's just not marketable or sell able for people who don't collect them no matter if they are exclusives.

second the image was shown in a Canadian computer which is higher price.the US ifo seem to be around 30-40 dollars.

other then that I agree with you.

Well if that computer screen was in Canadian (that wasn't something I picked up on) then yes, it will be cheaper than $60...which actually translates to $44.71 USD (let's just say $45) which is still pricey considering how Hasbro currently sets MSRPs for legends but hey, I'm not gonna cry over $5 and Hasbro knows collectors will pay it. To be honest, I don't really care what they charge for Legends because I'm a completist and I can afford to buy all the plastic crap I want each year...but I digress.

As usual, you like to take other people's opinions or wishes and deconstruct them to suit to what you feel is "right" or what "will happen" It's extremely easy lay down assertions when you "feel" you know a lot about something but it's also an extremely easy way for people to formulate a derogatory opinion of you when you use said assertions to juxtapose your version of fact over someone else's opinion.

Clearly, this is of no concern to you as you have been called out on this arrogance in the past by other members of these boards, including myself and that has apparently done little to assuage said behavior. A Peter Parker and MJ 2pack is completely unrealistic? Says who? It's completely unmarketable to people who don't collect legends? Ummm Hasbro, at this point, ONLY cares about producing legends that they think collectors will spend their money on and guess what...collectors will buy a Parker/MJ 2pack (assuming the quality of the figs isn't grotesque of course)

I know Dwight Stall and Co thinks he has everybody drinking the Hasbro PR coolade that Legends are "equally" for kids and collectors and that's the company line he HAS to tow but any "informed" collector knows this line is aimed, at this point, entirely at Collectors. Do you think "kids" know who Angela, Darkhawk, Major Victory, Nova Jr or Titus is/are? NOPE. Rinse and repeat said example for a lot of waves these days.

Next time you feel the itch to sctatch your magic crystal ball, let me direct you to one of your quotes (as seen below) that was your response to a board member who started a thread essentially asking, in the most general sense, how NYCC plays out.

"my opinion is this year we will see

the rest of the X-men wave and maybe (a big maybe) a preview of the next wave (rumoure to be Wolverine based for the last wolvie movie and no movie figures for it)

The rest of the Spider-man wave and the wave after that

The Guardians again without the 2 movie figure they have planned for it (cause spoilers) and I think the comic figures for the second wave

the next 2 walgreens exclusives.

some other exclusives

final the full wave for Thor (the one that has Thor and hulk) and maybe a preview for a secon wave."

So...how did that turn out? Reveal of the XMEN wave after Warlock? Nope. Reveal of the Spiderman wave after Sandman? Nope. Wolverine Wave? get real dude...NOPE. GOTG Wave 2? Nope. Next two Walgreens exclusives? Nope. More exclusives? Nope. Thor 3 wave? Lol really? NOPE. Preview of Thor 3 Wave 2? Sigh...

You will also see me response to yours in that same thread in which i shared my opinions and while of course I had some misses, it was catastrophically more accurate than your list. HERE IS THE POINT...did you see me jump in and completely debunk your Wishlist/rumor mill? NOPE. You know why? Because it was your OPINION and I actually respect people's opinions.

After reading that aforementioned NYCC post (that one sticks with me but there are far more examples I could choose from if I were to drag this post out even more exhaustively than I already am) my literal reaction was-does this guy know anything about Hasbro, Legends or Cons in general? But you didn't see me jump in and lay down my assertions over yours as in what "will" or "won't" happen. I just don't do that and take a guess why...it makes you sound like a TOOL...so I don't do it.

It may be hard for you to grasp, but there's ALWAYS somebody who knows more than you and before that comes off egotistical, I'm not saying that person is me as I'm just speaking generically. Does having literally just about every SW, G.I.Joe, Marvel, Spawn, Neca, etc etc etc figure/vehicle/set/multipack/exclusive in all scales, mint carded, (not counting the complete collections I have loose from when I was actually playing with these stupid toys-now rotting plastic storage bins) produced over the last 20 years, resulting in a collection that faaaaaaar surpasses yours or pretty much mostly any collector you'll ever talk to, make me a "better" collector than other people? NOPE. Does it provide me with a unique and concise viewpoint on the action figure collecting hobby? Probably. Does it make more informed than any other collector out there? NOPE...there's always someone who's been doing it longer and knows more than you. Does having this ridiculous collection and working knowledge of the toy industries I support so passionately give me the credence to pass on my opinions as fact or try to belittle the average collector who may not know as much as I do or have as much plastic crap as I do? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

All in all, i feel all of this must be spelled out for you as you're inane ability to try and lord over this boards as the supreme chancellor of marvel collecting and In turn, the condescension you have shown to many other board members must be put in check. You may do this advertently, in-advertently, passive agressively or worst of all, not even know how you actually sound like when you type, but the point has been made. Also, for the record, I don't really care (lol I know, funny right?) but I had some time to kill, have had a few drinks and thought this would be some good food for you to chew on.

Also, most importantly, Happy new year!!!

Lol. Good conversation. I agree with you Cobra regarding the whole collector vs kids argument. My personal opinion on Stall differs only a little from yours tho. I've looked up & watched pretty much every interview with the ML creative team & I think Stall is in a really tough spot. I think he does realize the collectors drive the line but gets caught in this mid ground where he's balancing what the fan base wants and what the execs want. We've heard him time and again talking about what he'd like to do with the line, and what the fans want to hear only to back it up to amend the statements to reflect what his bosses need to hear. Basically you have a creative team busting their humps to design something they know the consumers will like only to turn it over to a group of out of touch suits to make all the decisions on how to market and distribute that creativity. We've seen time and again that the demise of the line always comes down to mismanagement of the higher ups.

Case in point, if you'll allow me to date myself, would be the Masters of the Universe 200x line. The cartoon was created to directly tie with the toy line, so much that the Four Horsemen (think of them what you like) were intimately involved in the design process understanding that they would eventually turn all these revamped characters into revamped action figures and they were awesome, every one of them. What damned the line was the out of touch higher ups applying the old Barbie marketing stratagem which is the over exposure of the main character and supporting characters are to be exactly exactly that, support. This led to an over packing of various versions of He-Man & Skeletor three to one over the new characters which then resulted in all the new characters being bought up, many times by employees of the store, on the first day and droves and droves of He-Man/Skeletors rotting on the pegs. I remember looking at the toy shelves full of Snake Armor He-Man & realizing that was basically the end of that toy line. The cartoon followed soon after cuz, as they were created for each other there could not be one without the other. Two franchises died way too soon because of the bad marketing decisions of a bunch of business types sitting on high at Mattel who actually have no idea what fans/consumers really want.

Now, you may ask how does this apply to Hasbro and ML? It's similar, but different. Hasbro is coming from Star Wars stratagem that a successful toy line must have a movie tie-in. This is a misleading concept, cuz yes Star Wars is a movie franchise but the strength of the line comes from the massive cache of cool and imaginative characters and the unlimited potential for expansion of the Star Wars world. It's all about diversity and variety of the line, even if one of the main characters has to make an appearance in every wave. Every alien in the background of a bar scene, every Jedi seen in a flickering shot in a massive on screen battle, any legendary Sith Lord or Rebel Pilot mentioned in any part of Star Wars lore or seen in concept art is free game and they all sell like hotcakes. The fact that the line is a movie based toy line is an over simplification and total misdirection. Every toy line has a different fan base, a different formula for success. You can't just use a blanket formula for everything. Input and, more importantly, absorbtion from the creative team is essential. Their involvement shouldn't stop after all the heavy lifting is done. I was hoping the massive success of the Juggernaut wave would be a revelation to the powers that be that a wave doesn't necessarily have to have a movie tie-in to sell. A wide variety of cool and new characters is all you need. I would be very interested to see how well an entire movie based line would sell against an entirely comic based line. I'm sure they would both sell well but I think the dynamic and colorful characters of the comic line would win over the consumer.

That being said, I think Stall & Co do the best when they can. I will use the recent Sandman wave as reference. Following the evolution of the Infinite line it seems that there is built in cost for maybe 2 or 3 new sculpts per wave. Typically 2 go to movie figs and the 3rd going to the BAF, but in a wave that has no movie figs and a reused BAF the team took full advantage af the opportunity to roll out 3 new sculpts that can be used for a miriad of options in future waves. This was not by accident. They take their shots where they can. I personally see them working the system to the best of their ability but in business sometimes your hands are tied. I'd say if they were ever given the liberties that the SW team is given we'd see so many more new characters and redos, but until something changes we have to settle for the constant trickle that is currently ML.

On subject, I think we get two versions of the Peter & MJ set. One will be a Romita style Spider-man with interchangeable Peter head (be on the lookout for the new Spidey 2099 buck) and wedding dress MJ and there will also be a variant with Peter & MJ in modern style street clothes. It's not out of the question that they would make a set of "normal" characters, especially in exclusive format. Hell, I remember a time in the Toybiz days there was a strong demand for an All Normals wave that was gaining steam, and not only MJ, but Foggy Nelson, Aunt May and Rick Jones all made the list. If I'm not mistaken I think they even did a poll. Any moderators remember something like that?

@Mako

Totally down for a Romita Sr. Spidey and out of sheer curiosity, was there a specific reason you'd prefer the figure on the Bucky/cap mold over pizza Spidey buck, or even the newer buck tweaks like they did for Spidey 2099 & UK?

Also correct on the TRU Shield 3pack-I purposefully left that out earlier as I was already coming at Tarot with both barrels blazing and wanted to limit my examples lol.

@KilionNorcal

Completely agree 100% on the MJ. Regardless if the Spidey is a Parker or an an actual Spidey, the standout of the two (if done correctly of course) will easily be the MJ for

me and the Spidey/Parker is definitely secondary to MJ in that regard, imo.

@Nieman257

A tattered/battle damaged Spidey would be a most welcome surprise, I have fond memories of the 90s toybiz one in particular lol.

Point of Order on the "never do a civilian 2-pack" thing:

Technically Nick Fury, Phil Coulson, and Maria Hill are all "civilians" (non costumed characters), and they were in a 3-pack.

they are three secret agents of SHIELD but yeah I see what you mean. It's actually a good point.

but I mean like regular people like Aunt May and JJJ (we only got him as the figure was selling for chameleon) or Foggy Nelson. While I would love to see them as a figure (hell my number one civilain is a Jarvis figure but I know the best would be a avengers box set) but even if the line is only for collectors, Hasbro can't really make civilians (even if they want to) as they also have to sell these not only to their bosses but also to the stores that sell them. Let face it, TRU is only getting these because it's a Spider-man, which will sell anyway and make them a profit, and the MJ figure is for us. so they have to compromise by giving a civilian while still a figure that will sell better then 2 regular people.

not only that but MJ is a huge part of the Spider-man mythos, more so then many of the other civilians in many comic books (pre-Brand New Day anyway.

That's why I think 1 hero and 1 Civilian 2 pack is the best we can hope for. Maybe in the future Hasbro might actually give us a Secret Identy 2 pack for many hero (actually I would love to see that) but I take what we can get.

Also if I come off as aggressive I don't mean to that just the way I type (sure it's usually takes me a hour just to write a response cause I want to try not to be trolly). So I apologise for that. Also the I don't know what Hasbro is going to do. I'm just going by patterns and themes I have seen over the years. Hasbro has surprise me every year at the cons but they usually stick to certain things (repaints, reusable body, what they put in waves) which in turn leaves them money to work on other thing like new sculpt (still need more POA on the female though). again I apoligize for that.

@monron

Agreed!

To be fair though, I don't really think we have a difference of opionin on the ML creative team/Stall and we both know how they answer the questions and more importantly, how they are allowed to answer/elaborate on said questions. That's why I mentioned Dwight, to a certain extent, has a company line "he has to tow" These guys aren't stupid and rarely let themselves get tripped up. Having said that, it's up to the "journalist" interviewing them to provide carefully constructed questions and follow ups to try and do just that-trip them up. When that does happen and as someone who has also watched just about every interview (that I know of anyway) it can lead to to some cool, revealing or just downright interesting responses.

A further indulgence, if I may, is the true lack of good questions being asked to these guys during their Q&As and cons. Every time a question is wasted such as "when is X or Y character coming" or "why don't female characters have double-jointed elbows" for the 29th time by Shartimus, or etc etc, it just makes me cringe as you can literally answer the question, word for word, ahead of time before the team does... Furthermore, while we know they have a certain "script" to adhere to, for lack of a better word, trust me when I say these guys would LOVE to be truly engaged with a respectfully executed, thought provoking and hard hitting (when necessary) line of questioning.

What they DONT want to hear (for pure example sake) is this: "so your recent Iron Fist figure was amazing! Great sculpt, paint, POA...BUT...I felt the plastic used for his sache/belt could've been done with slightly softer plastic so I could get his leg touching his eyeballs...any chance you will revisit this figure later with a more pliable belt accessory?" Here's Dwights response (after he throws up in his mouth for a second) "uh...yeah, we will certainly look into that as an opportunity down the road...great question"

Side note: I think we should start a thread about the questions we would like to see have thrown at the ML/SW teams at the cons. I have a ton of what I would perceive to be "legitimate" questions that would be all-encompassing & broad enough (we all know they shy away from answering from super-specific inquiries) to engage the teams in a fun and challenging way...and I'm sure I'm not the only one who could cobble together some truly great questions!

As far as SW goes lol I think we could fill up a book about that and the SW brand will always be at the top of my collection as my favorite property (right behind G.I.Joe) so I'll refrain from going too in-depth here. Having said that, Hasbro and Evans are in a bit of a learning curve here with the 6in scale combined with having to plan out waves/lines of figures around the clock due to a new SW film being released every 12 months. This isn't me defending Hasbro but the position they are in is tricky to say the least. They are still exploring ways to expand the line with ideas such as a dedicated vehicle assortment that "works", deluxe figures, box sets, etc plus being under the gun to plan out figures for the next movie before the previous one is even out, as well as try to incorporate wherever they can-OTC figures that the die hard fans want...it's a lot.

To that end, the 3 best lines they ever did was the 30th Anniversary Collection in 2007, The Legacy Collection 2008-2010 and the penultimate Vintage Collection which ran for a couple of years and is widely regarded (naturally) as the premiere SW toy line and to be honest, they really can't do better than that (unless they simply reintroduce the line of course) All of those lines have one thing in common-they had no movies to tie into and the teams were free to really dig deep and just provide the SW collectors with TONS of desirable/requested/obscure figures without a movie deadline schedule to adhere to. I truly believe that once the current trilogy is done in 2019 when Ep9 is released, Disney will give the franchise a rest for several years (hopefully) and then the Black Series or whatever it will be called then can truly have its time to flourish.

As far as He-Man is concerned, I can't really speak to the line personally but I do have a buddy who loves He-Man and his sentiments echoe very closely to yours so your probably right on the money. Unfortunately (for Mattel) I don't really care for most of the licenses they have and the ones I do care about, I usually pass on because in my opinion, Mattel's figures quality (in all scales) is extremely subpar. To each their own of course.

As far us getting two separate Spidey/MJ 2packs, that's definitely a bold prediction-(I still need to respond to that thread you made) and I personally don't see that happening but I would certainly love to be proven wrong on that one!!

I think all of us fans would love a bunch of "civilian" characters.

J. Jonah Jameson (I have the Chameleon but it's not the same as JJJ in a button-down with rolled up sleeves and a vest)

Aunt May Parker

Peter Parker

Rick Jones

Jarvis the butler

Pepper Potts

Jane Foster (pre-becoming Thor)

Peggy Carter

Tony Stark

The list goes on. But I get the business side of it. The ONLY reason we're getting a Mary Jane is because they will borrow from Jessica Jones tooling, and that is tied to a live-action property. And the only WAY Mary Jane will see release is a multi-pack/boxed set with a "surefire" character like a global brand character like Spider-Man. I think we will get a Parker head (the teen head considered different, and the half-unmasked head a nice hint, but we'll get the full Parker head now), and maybe a "deflated" mask would be cool, and a tattered costume seems to make the most sense to still be basic Spidey but different from what's come before (we got quite a few Spider-Men in 2016).

Think of the suit body. It débuted with Phil Coulson in a 3pack with an anchor of Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury. It was single packed with Chameleon, which was a clever character release to allow for Hammerhead and JJJ all at the same time, and guaranteed multiple purchases for those who wanted all three characters on their shelf simultaneously. And how have we seen it released since? Bruce Banner (with some modifications to the shirt and from pants to jeans) in an exclusive 4pack, and Purple Man in an exclusive SDCC pack. These figures are all considered "plainclothes" so they would be expected to peg warm even though WE the fans consider these characters essential in our own ways. If the suit body is used again, for say, Professor X, would it be in a boxed set, or would the hoverchair justify a single card release since the chair stands out as unique and marketable enough? But would a plainclothes suited Tony Stark make it to store shelves on a single card? I would bet my collection on NO.

Totally agree with Monron about tooling and new sculpts. Look at the Monica Rambeau prototype. Looks like the figure borrows CIVIL WAR Scarlet Witch's jacket. Comic Sharon Carter was released on the Avengers movie/SHIELD Maria Hill body. As soon as they previewed the jeans and t-shirt and jacket Jessica Jones figure, you HAD to know Mary Jane Watson was in the pipeline. But the movies and TV pave the way for us to get the bits and pieces we need to make the comic characters more authentic. So I think they are doing the smartest and best work they can to "beat the system" and please most of the people most of the time within their creative and budgetary constraints.

So I'm THRILLED with the state of ML these recent years!

Yeah I could go for a Peggy Carter in WW2 outfit BIG TIME and that would've made a nice addition to one of last years 3 Cap waves but oh well. As far as current Legends, they're only getting better and better so completely agree. Plus, with Hasbro releasing 7-8 waves a year now (not including all of the exclusives), it's really only a matter of time until figures people really really want become a reality. Personally, 2016 knocked out several of my Wishlist wants and I'm sure other collectors can say the same thing. The sky is the limit as we continue to move forward!

@CobraSaboteur87

[@Mako

Totally down for a Romita Sr. Spidey and out of sheer curiosity, was there a specific reason you'd prefer the figure on the Bucky/cap mold over pizza Spidey buck, or even the newer buck tweaks like they did for Spidey 2099 & UK?]

Even tho you didn't ask me this question, I'd like to take a stab at this answer. The Bucky Cap mold would suit this particular figure because back in the late 80's to early 90's, when Peter & MJ mania was at its peak, when they got married, artists like JR senior, JR Jr & Sal Buscema portrayed Spidey a bit more buff, similar to Daredevil, so the Bucky Cap mold would actually work. I myself believe the new Spidey 2099 buck was specifically created to be the more "flexible" mold in the size of the Bucky Cap mold which is why I think that's the one that will be used.

Actually it wasn't until a lesser known artist named Mark Bagley took over Amazing Spider-Man after McFarlane and Larsen's "dynamic" (some might call it weird & self indulgent) art runs that Spidey started too take on this shorter, thinner, yet still muscular, Bruce Lee type body style that's been his trademark look ever since. Some people dont particularly like Bagley's art, and to me it actually seems like it's deteriorated over the years, but he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves in regards to his attention to detail regarding the size and shape differences between characters. The best example of this is the Round Robin & Maximum Carnage story arcs where there were guest appearances of everyone from Darkhawk to Captain American. In it you'll notice the particular attention he paid to detail of specific dimensions between each distinct character. It's actually very impressive. Especially considering he got his job at Marvel by winning an art contest.

Sorry I went so long for such a short answer, but that's my history lesson for the day.