Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Unfair Criticism or Justifiable Judgement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 norinradd

norinradd

Andorian

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

So for no apparent reason today, I began thinking about the Marvel Universe 3 and 3/4 figure line and how the run of David Vonner is revered by many of us as a miraculous time, while we tear down Dwight Stahl and Jesse Falcon for what had become of the line. I started realizing how much part swapping was available to David Vonner from the GIJOE line, which I believe were not as readily available towards the end of the line due to the lack of GIJOE line.
Was this simply a case of limited access to accessible parts to use for articulated figures, or was it simply lack of creativity brought on by disinterest in the scale and success of the line in general.
What are your thoughts about this? Let's discuss.

#2 wedge1968

wedge1968

Emperor's Royal Guard

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

Forgive me (I am slow), but I do not understand your argument.

Aside from Professor Xavier, I do not remember any figures borrowing from G.I. Joe molds.

Is this your point? Are you criticizing both Vonner and Stall for not exploiting these molds?

#3 norinradd

norinradd

Andorian

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:47 PM

No you are not slow, I am slow, I must have been confused with all the customs which use the Joe Parts. I guess there was not as much use of cross over as I had assumed, did they use from other lines (movies wolverine; iron man; spiderman; cap; thor)?
My intent for the thread was to examine whether or not the criticisms (which I slung many) towards the later years of the line were justified or were we too harsh.

I suppose they both could have made use of the molds (Vonner gave us a great selection with some recycling within the line).
Although both missed a great opportunity to use the JP T Rex for Devil Dinosaur -which Vonner was rumored to be offering in the future.
Since I messed up the thread discussion on the first post, let's change it to what molds could have been exploited that were not.

#4 wedge1968

wedge1968

Emperor's Royal Guard

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

I saw (and copied) some awesome Domino customs that were straight repaints of Helix.

#5 Dodge76

Dodge76

Stormtrooper

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

I wanted to comment on this but I don't think there are easy answers. I think they wanted to bring the 6 inch line back. Thats pretty much Jesse Falcon's baby. I can't really fault the guy for having his heart in what he originally created. Vonner is the one that put in alot of effort in the 3.75 line and Hasbro decided to let him go. Dwight Stall seems ok. When I first watched the guy in interviews he used to piss me off by saying we don't need this articulation or that articulation. I think it was the Higher Ups telling him to say stuff like that because I remember Vonner saying in interviews that he would butt heads over articulation with his bosses.

In the last Toy Fair interview Stall was asked if he could sneak a Firestar figure into a 6 inch Marvel Legends Spiderman wave and he committed that he actually made her already and wanted to do that but was told no because they did not want to mix mutants in with the Spiderman line. He does not sound like he has that much pull.

#6 dragonkings

dragonkings

Beastman

• Members
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

That comment was him Just being diplomatic,

Hasbro is trying to push Articulated 6 inch figures and #$@# articulation 3.75 for profit margins.
People like them were pushing that narrative and honestly tried to kill the 3.75 - 4 inch lines in how they spoke in their interviews.
So yeah they were part of it, so the hate is justified.

#7 KiloinNorcal

KiloinNorcal

Cobra Viper

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

I enjoy the 6 inch Legends line as much as the next guy, it's awesome. But it's a real shame what they did to the MU line after Vonner. MU is still my vote for the greatest toyline ever from top to bottom.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us