Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Falwell in serious condition

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scotty97

Scotty97

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...s/jerry_falwell

Maybe after all these years of predicting the world and specific cities were going to die for being evil and being wrong, ol' Jerry had the wrong idea. Maybe God sent him this message to clarify.

Seriously, though, I don't wish illness or injury on falwell. I think he's a manipulative SOB who's had his fingers in the honey for far too long in the political processes of this country. Maybe, if there is a God watching, God will send Jerry a message about peace, love and understanding. And acceptance instead of bigotry. Maybe this will be a waking moment for the old man and he'll turn around. Maybe.

#2 Scotty97

Scotty97

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

"LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell, who founded the Moral Majority and built the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said. He was 73."

i would never wish death upon anyone, even(nay, especially) someone I disliked and disagreed with as much Falwell. I hope he finds God to be forgiving and accepting, unlike he himself acted so many times. May he rest in peace.

#3 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

Wow, I heard about this just a little while ago. That's sad. RIP sad.gif

#4 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

Well he is older, so it could have been natural causes. You never know. unsure.gif

#5 Viper Hunter

Viper Hunter

MAN OF ACTION!

• Members
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

UPDATE:

He died.

http://www.msnbc.msn...79412/?GT1=9951

#6 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Viper Hunter @ May 15 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post

We know. The link is below wink.gif Since they're very similar, I'm going to merge the 2 links. biggrin.gif

#7 Viper Hunter

Viper Hunter

MAN OF ACTION!

• Members
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Scotty97 @ May 15 2007, 01:44 PM) View Post

"LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell, who founded the Moral Majority and built the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said. He was 73."

i would never wish death upon anyone, even(nay, especially) someone I disliked and disagreed with as much Falwell.

soupson.gif

I was waiting for the Buuut.....!!

icon_lol.gif

I hope he finds God to be forgiving and accepting, unlike he himself acted so many times.

ouch!

God is forgiving. If Falwell error'd in his moral judgement and held TOO fast to improper (intolerant) values along the way, I'm sure he'll be forgiven and readily accepted nonetheless.

RIP

#8 Scotty97

Scotty97

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

thanks for the merge, Rika. I couldn't edit the original title, so I started a second topic.

#9 boff123

boff123

cobra lackey

• Members
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

i came across this link in the mourning:

good bye to falwell from an old friend!

FIREdevil.gif smile2.gif guitar.gif

#10 Scotty97

Scotty97

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's awesome! Thanks for adding that!

#11 Viper Hunter

Viper Hunter

MAN OF ACTION!

• Members
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Certainly no loss here to be felt in the gay community is there?

Couldn't catch a news report on his passing last night (within hours of his death) without some gay activist getting to add their two cents to the guys passing and criticizing what he stood for.

Don't get me wrong here, as I'd certainly have equally callous thoughts about a good number of those in the hollywood or political community (should they meet their demise in the next day or so) and therefore I'm no saint or in a position to complain, but I find it pathetic nevertheless.

I had to switch over to Seinfield re-runs when the one guy starting blaming Falwell for the numbers of gay suicides. dry.gif

You'd think the MAIN networks would know better, and show some tact on this, or at least wait till the guys buried and laid to rest, and then let those that want to trash talk him have their 2 min. soundbites?

#12 Scotty97

Scotty97

Cobra Crimson Guardsman

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

I can actually kinda agree with you on this one, VH. I made it fairly clear that I disagreed with the man, but I wouldn't pee on his gravesite. I think a lot of people have their right to speak out against him and his legacy, but they should at least wait until next week or so. I know I probably will.

#13 Viper Hunter

Viper Hunter

MAN OF ACTION!

• Members
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

Most of the comments on that TMZ site are pretty sick and pathetic.

The guys barely dead for a day, and the flesh eating zombie Falwell haters, are lusting for his flesh on a stick...

To some of these people, he apparently embodies what they HATE about Christians and religion, so (in his death) they get to spout off about it.

They might as well just join together in a harmony chorus of "GOOD, GOOD, GOOD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"

Although, I did find this an interesting comment from Larry Flynt:

"Upon hearing of his [Falwell's] death, [Larry] Flynt released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.

My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. He would visit me in

California and we would debate together on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling."

With normal people, that should inspire some semblance of civility, but I doubt it will with the "target audience" that I am dealing with here.......

#14 nevermore

nevermore

Flock Member

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

I understand what you are saying here VH...and I agree with it to an extent. I think Larry Flynt showed a lot of class there (surprise, surprise!) Reminds me of the PM u sent me recently about us being able to look past our differences in philosophy.

On the other hand I can understand the hatred. I mean he did say 9/11 happened because God was mad at all the feminists, homosexuals and liberals in the U.S. Does blamming Falwell for gay suicide sound anymore ridiculous then blamming gays for 9/11?

I think we are seeing another Bible verse in action...you reap what you sow.

Being the God-fearing man he was I am sure Falwell can appreciate this irony. Obviously he disgusted me but I am not going to go off on him but then I just chalked up his statements to lunacy. It's hard to take the man who identified the "gay" teletubbie seriously.

I never agreed with pretending someone was a good person just because they were dead. If people hated Falwell then I say don't pretend you didn't just because he died.

Falwell may have been able to establish a bond with Flynt but he said a lot of hate filled things about others that didn't get to know him. I don't think you can fault them for hating a man who time and time again expressed his hatred for them.

#15 Three Storms

Three Storms

All glory to the hypno-toad!!!

• Moderators
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Viper Hunter @ May 16 2007, 06:39 PM) View Post
Most of the comments on that TMZ site are pretty sick and pathetic.

The guys barely dead for a day, and the flesh eating zombie Falwell haters, are lusting for his flesh on a stick...

To some of these people, he apparently embodies what they HATE about Christians and religion, so (in his death) they get to spout off about it.

They might as well just join together in a harmony chorus of "GOOD, GOOD, GOOD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"

Although, I did find this an interesting comment from Larry Flynt:

"Upon hearing of his [Falwell's] death, [Larry] Flynt released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.

My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. He would visit me in

California and we would debate together on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling."

With normal people, that should inspire some semblance of civility, but I doubt it will with the "target audience" that I am dealing with here.......

I was watching the CBS evening news the day Falwell died, and their reporters just couldn't stop cutting Falwell down. It was sickening. People just don't know how to back off and let the dead rest in peace and their loved ones grieve. CBS has been dirty for a long time, but this week I lost all respect I had left for them.

#16 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

I don't think he "hated" anyone... well, that is, if he was the Christian he claimed to be. You may not agree with something, like he didn't agree with alot of things this world says is okay BUT in my book, as a Christian, hate isn't an option. Just b/c I don't agree with someone's lifestyle, or what they read, or where they go, doesn't mean I will HATE them.

I can't speak for him, but he's done a lot of good, along with all the "bad" he's done. unsure.gif And again, even if you don't like someone, at least be CIVIL towards them. Especially after death. That's just common courtesy. rolleyes.gif

#17 Viper Hunter

Viper Hunter

MAN OF ACTION!

• Members
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(nevermore @ May 17 2007, 01:18 AM) View Post
I understand what you are saying here VH...and I agree with it to an extent. I think Larry Flynt showed a lot of class there (surprise, surprise!) Reminds me of the PM u sent me recently about us being able to look past our differences in philosophy.

...and still be buds? icon_lol.gif What's even more impressive, is that we were able to come to that understanding without EVER having met each other. Says a lot..for both of us, if I may say so.

smile.gif

On the other hand I can understand the hatred. I mean he did say 9/11 happened because God was mad at all the feminists, homosexuals and liberals in the U.S. Does blamming Falwell for gay suicide sound anymore ridiculous then blamming gays for 9/11?

Yeah, I can certainly understand WHY he would be hated by some (or many) and that he offended those of which he "preached out" against, about their lifestyles and whatnot, but unfortunately THAT'S the cross to bare when you become the spokesperson of God and Christianity. He was on the EXTREME that's for sure, and I never cared for him, and thought he was too easy a target, for those wanting to bash religion or Christianity and using HIM as the reason why, as the stereotypical Christian zealot.

On the blame game you mentioned...BOTH are ridiculous.

I think we are seeing another Bible verse in action...you reap what you sow.

Well, maybe a better way to look at it, is that not EVERYBODY liked what he was "sowing". It's like being a police officer. You're trying to enforce the "law" and others are trying to oppose it, and if asked what they thought of said police officer, I'd bet they would be quite derogatory? Difference here is, the punishment that Falwell claimed would fall upon those who were breaking the "law", was upon their going to the AFTER life, of which MOST these people don't believe in anyway, so how could he have spurned that much hate, for something that was only verbal rhetoric? Other religious fanatics, in other foreign countries have a more HOSTILE and DIRECT approach to punishing the "law" breakers. Not only do they claim you're going to hell, they chop your head off to get the trip started...today.

Being the God-fearing man he was I am sure Falwell can appreciate this irony. Obviously he disgusted me but I am not going to go off on him but then I just chalked up his statements to lunacy. It's hard to take the man who identified the "gay" teletubbie seriously.

Interesting note. Falwell never "identified" the gay teletubbie, or was scanning the TV looking for "gay threats" to children, as he was accused of.

Fact is, the actor who created and played the Purple Teletubbie gave an interview to the BBC that he was gay and that he intentionally created the character with the purple triangle to make children comfortable with gay characters. This was picked up by the AP and then made some US papers. Falwell merely read the AP article on his program.

“Gays have championed Tinky Winky and his beloved red purse, and night-clubbers have adopted the show as a sort of druggy daydream.”
— Newsweek, April 6, 1998

“Tinky actually became a gay icon in Britain because, for no apparent reason, his voice is male but he sometimes carries a flashy red purse.”
—The Toronto Star, April 6, 1998

“Tinky Winky, the heaviest, looks a little like an eggplant with cellulite. He also sometimes carries a red purse, which has won him popularity among gay viewers.”
— The Washington Post, April 06, 1998

Tinky?became quite the celebrity, especially after gay-rights groups fought for his reinstatement, partly because Tinky Winky has a male voice but skips about Teletubbyland carrying a red purse.
— Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Texas), April 6, 1998

“And what's with Tinky Winky, whose voice sounds strangely mature and who sometimes carries a red handbag?”
— The New York Times, April 6, 1998

But today many forms of gender nonconformity have actually become mainstream. . . . Even Teletubbies, a show for toddlers, features Tinky Winky, a boy who carries a red patent-leather purse.
— Time Magazine, July 20, 1998

“The way the original Tinky Winky carried his tote-bag-size red purse reportedly made him a gay icon in Britain.”
— Time Magazine, July 20, 1998

Rev. Falwell was far from the first person to equate the teletubby and gays. And in fact, the entire uproar about Falwell and this issue was as a result of an artice in his publication that wasn't even written by him.

I never agreed with pretending someone was a good person just because they were dead. If people hated Falwell then I say don't pretend you didn't just because he died.

Falwell may have been able to establish a bond with Flynt but he said a lot of hate filled things about others that didn't get to know him. I don't think you can fault them for hating a man who time and time again expressed his hatred for them.

Hey, there will be a time when some people I don't particularly care about will crap the bed, and I'll be just as callous and glib with my opinions on it, I'm sure. Maybe not so vile as what is being said about Falwell here, but I won't be exactly SAD about it....just not so JOYFUL, unless it's of the terrorist type. Despite what analogies some want to come up with in charging Falwell as a relgious terrorist, he never slaughtered anyone for their sins (as he deemed them).

What I find disturbing, is not so much that Falwell had his (OBVIOUS) enemies, or that they're taking the opportunity to vent their hate of him upon his death, but that the networks are being a tool for it.

Not everyone in America agrees with the policies of a President, be it Bush or Clinton, but when either of them should die, I would hope that the networks coverage of it, would not be to run out and purposely fine their opposers for comment, as BOTH have them, but upon their death is not the time to broadcast it.

Some of this was done on Reagans death, and I'm still sickened by it. I didn't like Falwell either, but when he died, I wasn't interested in what the gay community thought about it or of HIM, but that's all I got...or so it seemed.

That's crap and I'm tired of it. Blogs are one thing, but network news is another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us