Got my Sandman wave, was disappointed

monron999

If the title got your attention, I must correctly explain myself. This wave is actually a very good wave and I'm not disappointed in any of the actual figures, tho I do feel the slot taken up by Spider UK coulda been used for another character, like maybe......errr, literally anyone that isn't Spider UK. I mean, as far as I can remember I don't think Prowler has been done yet, has it? But a new comic fig is a new comic fig and I'll take whatever non-MCU characters we can get at this point. As far as the product themselves, I have no problems with them other than a few minor paint issues and a strange brittleness about the Symbiote Spidey. It felt like it was gonna snap when I was breaking the joints loose but it wasn't anything a few hours on a warm window sill couldn't fix. Anyone else have this problem?

So, I hate to be that guy that has a complaint for everything but I'm about to be that guy that's always pointing out what coulda, shoulda been done, tho. As I said, for the most part I'm very happy with the wave, enough to where I consider it a very good wave especially since it's a full comic wave. But sitting there looking at them all unboxed and semi posed to admire the new molds versus the older ones (they're all still good, btw), it suddenly hits me and I identified yet another missed opportunity by Hasbro (no big surprise there) that coulda made this wave great, if not perfect.

One if the first thing most people noticed when the wave was first revealed was the lack of another female character since most recent waves typically have at least two. Here's where they missed their cue. They could have included a long demanded female figure like, say SILVER SABLE that would require little more than a new head sculpt and a few reused guns & belts on a silver painted or silver molded (no freaking vacuum chrome) Moonstone buck. But that's not the major fumble. The biggest thing they missed out on was the chance to expand on the Ms. Marvel figure in the wave. Much like the Deadpool figure from the Juggernaut wave, rather than a BAF piece, Sable (or any 8th figure) could have included "other" accessories. In this case, rather than extra weapons, she could have come with a a pair of stretched legs & maybe some melee hands or even a disguise head for the Ms. Marvel figure. Given the supposed high demand for the figure (which, much like the "high demand" for the comic, I have my doubts about), and the praise Hasbro got for including an 8th figure in the Juggy wave, choc-full of accessories, you'd think this would have been an option they would have explored again. Personally, I think a decision like that woulda put consumer and fan reaction through the roof. This would put this wave past the threshold of "very good" straight up to "great" in the fans minds. Little details like this, much like the inclusion of the Magneto head to be used with the Onslaught BAF, go a long way to show the fans they really care and would really boost consumer loyalty to another level. I firmly believe that and I strongly suspect that I'm not the only one. Anyone else care to chime in with their thots?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, or maybe it's just a case of hindsight being 20/20. Then again, maybe it's something the creative team actually thought about, but got shot down by management. Maybe their hands were just tied, such is the discussion on another thread.

I agree with you on the lack of a second female figure and I agree that that Spider-uk being weird inclusion (although I think it's weird for 2099 being in it since that design only really came out last year). the only reasons I can think of for including him is first and foremost Spider-verse where he played a HUGE part in the story (still sooooooooooooo many more to come from that) and the fact that he is the leader of the Comic version of the Web Warrior alongside Spider-gwen and Arana (only need Noir, India, Ham and maybe Lady Spider next).

and the main reason to include Ms. Marvel, as odd as she is for a Spider-man wave, is that she is a street level hero and the sub theme of Spider-man wave is street level heroes.

I agree with you about Ms. Marvel. They could have done something similar to what they did with my favorite Mr. Fantastic figure, the one from series one of the movie wave for Fantastic four, and included a bunch of parts to create a stretched out version, and with Kamala, there are more options than that even, like big feet, different heads, a shrinked down version ('ala Ant-man style) the girl' has such a range of bizarre powers that would make for fun accessories. I love the figure (got two one to open one to keep boxed) but just wanted a little more from her.

No complaints here (minus the travesty that is Shockers eyes...) I got my Sandman Wave 3 weeks ago and I've long since moved on to the anticipation of Wave 8, bring it Hasbro! I smell a Mysterio...bring it!!!

actually according to "Rumours", the next 2 big villains for the next wave are Tomstone and Classic Beetle (with MCU Vulture and some character named Dead meat). but I can definetly see Mysterio being done very soon. he was the last runner up for the fan poll after all.

I just cherry picked this wave. Grabbed Shocker, Green Goblin, Black suit Spiderman, and Sandman. The other two Spidermen were solid passes for me as well as Ms. Marvel. Firestar and maybe an Iron Spider or a redo of Big Time Spiderman could have made this a homerun.

The next wave could be a pass except for Moon Knight. Tombstone I have to have a look at.

@tarot

Yeah I remember the UPC leaks from a while back about Tombstone, Beetle & Dead Meat. For me, Tombstone is MAJOR want so I really hope he makes the cut this year. Personally, I can't get too excited for another Beetle (classic costume aside) but as most people know, I'm ALL about the villains so I'll happily take him at the end of the day.

With regards to Dead Meat, I would "hope" that that codename means we could possibly be getting a Carrion figure which, if revealed to be true, would make me BEYOND happy and hell, I'm still happy about finally having a Jackal lol.

I share the same viewpoint on Mysterio in that I think it's reasonably safe to speculate he will be coming very soon, especially with the other 3/4 of the fans choice poll winners already coming out in back to back waves. To that end, I hope we see 3 waves of Spidey this year as in our standard two plus an additional one to correlate with the release of Homecoming this year. If we can get that 3rd wave this year, I'd say there's no reason why Mysterio can't be fair game at that point and he would make a great anchor to whatever that potential 3rd wave would look like.