Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Lighting a match???

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cyclonus8

Cyclonus8

Boogers and Snot

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

After someone goes #2, people tell them to light a match. I have heard it on tv a lot recently and this guy from work mentioned something about putting a book of matches in the bathroom. At first, I thought it meant light a match to burn the place down because it smelled so bad, but that can't be it. It must have something to do with the lit match making the smell go away. Can someone explain why? Does this method actually work?

#2 JoeRhyno

JoeRhyno

Robin

• Moderators
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

I think it's just the smell from the match going out covers up the mangacollector smell

#3 Riker

Riker

shubway

• Moderators
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

Lighting the match will cause the odor to dissipate (though the smell of a freshly-lit match will remain). If it is a strong stench, however, keep the flame going as you guide the match around the affected room or area.

#4 Cyclonus8

Cyclonus8

Boogers and Snot

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hmmm.....how does this work on a scientific level? Does the smell of the match just cover the smell of the crap? Is this a new thing or have people been doing this for years?

#5 MaceWinduPreview

MaceWinduPreview

AKA Thurman Merman....

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(JoeRhyno @ Dec 1 2006, 01:48 PM) View Post

I think it's just the smell from the match going out covers up the mangacollector smell

whats a mangacollector ?

#6 MaceWinduPreview

MaceWinduPreview

AKA Thurman Merman....

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

um nevermind I read the threads, geez I thought my meltdown was bad, now I am glad I saw a doctor.

#7 ARROW

ARROW

• Members
  • 7,932 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

There used to be a book series(derived from a newspaper column)--and a web-site iirc--called the Straight Dope that took pains to answer things like this.
Kind of like Snopes, they covered all sorts of things like origins of expressions like "somebody light a match" to urban legends like gerbil-stuffing (don't ask).
Might still be on-line somewhere.

#8 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

It does work really well to cover up a smell like that... we used it all the time when I was in college. We'd hide a book of matches in the bathroom.. tongue.gif

#9 Blackmada

Blackmada

Little Spook

• Members
  • 9,371 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(ARROW @ Dec 1 2006, 02:55 PM) View Post

There used to be a book series(derived from a newspaper column)--and a web-site iirc--called the Straight Dope that took pains to answer things like this.
Kind of like Snopes, they covered all sorts of things like origins of expressions like "somebody light a match" to urban legends like gerbil-stuffing (don't ask).
Might still be on-line somewhere.

I'd like to add that the gerbil thing is not an urbam legend. smile2.gif

I always thought the flame from the match would burn out the poop smell. The same way lighting farts works.

If I go into a restroom and it smells, I just take it like a man.

#10 JoeRhyno

JoeRhyno

Robin

• Moderators
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Blackmada @ Dec 1 2006, 04:45 PM) View Post

I'd like to add that the gerbil thing is not an urbam legend. smile2.gif

I just take it like a man.

wait... WHAT?????

lol.. sorry, I couldn't resist...

I always thought the flame from the match would burn out the poop smell. The same way lighting farts works.

If I go into a restroom and it smells, I just take it like a man.

You've never been in the bathroom with me.. I make eyes bleed!

#11 Cyclonus8

Cyclonus8

Boogers and Snot

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

I guess this works. I just heard a story on the news about a woman lighting matches on a flight to mask her flatulence. The passengers smelled the matches and the flight was diverted for security issues.

#12 Clam

Clam

ADC MVP since '01

• Moderators
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

icon_lol.gif

just do the courtesy flush people.. it works fine.

#13 RC_rika

RC_rika

Prowl

• Moderators
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

That's a guy thing, though, that whole courtesy flush thing. Or so says one of my guy friends. I hate waiting for the toilet to refill for me to flush again. tongue.gif

#14 DPrime

DPrime

Please, someone hook me up with a Jammer figure! :)

• Members
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Cyclonus8 @ Dec 1 2006, 10:43 AM) View Post

After someone goes #2, people tell them to light a match. I have heard it on tv a lot recently and this guy from work mentioned something about putting a book of matches in the bathroom. At first, I thought it meant light a match to burn the place down because it smelled so bad, but that can't be it. It must have something to do with the lit match making the smell go away. Can someone explain why? Does this method actually work?

It definitely works, trust me, I lived with five other guys through four years of university and thank goodness we used this method!

Scientifically, I've always assumed that it simply burns up the gas in the air. I mean, what you smell is methane gas, correct? It's flammable, which is why you can light up your farts with a match or lighter. You can actually see the flame light up a little more when it hits the gas, and presto, no more smell. Of course the match itself leaves a smell, but it's by no means disagreeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us