Paradox
©
Fisana

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

Photo

Your favorite 5 3.75" Marvel figures of 2016?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dracos

Dracos

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I hate to say it, but 2016 is the most disappointing year for me so far, when it comes to the 3.75" Marvel line.  It could have been one of my favorite years, since it gave me a lot of characters that I really wanted... unfortunately most of them I found to be poorly executed.

That said, there were at least some real winners for me.  My fav 5 are:
1) The Collector.  I love the cosmic characters, and I've always wanted to get the Elders of the Universe in action figure form.  I never really expected to get any of them.  Of the Elders, the one that I wanted the most was the Collector.  Now I have him!  Better yet, Hasbro did a great job with him.  Though he's not in his classic costume, his head sculpt is awesome, and he almost has full articulation.  

2) Moon Boy.  Another dream character.  I like the fake fur and the sculpt.  He's a bit lacking in articulation, but at least he is in-scale (his tribe was called "The Small Folk"  Okay, he's not nearly as cool without his partner, Devil Dinosaur, but I'm still very happy to have him in my collection.

3) Rage.  I don't even have any comics with him in it, but what a great sculpt they gave him!  I wish half as much care had gone into Quasar, Triton, or Ulik.

4) Lockjaw.  Great sculpt!  Almost no articulation, but they did give him the single point that I cared about the most -- his jaw.  I am still rather shocked that they sized the figure correctly.  He's appropriately big.  I never really expected to get a figure of him.  Of course, being Hasbro, we still don't have the complete team.

5)  Carol Captain Marvel.  A very nice sculpt, and the paint app turned out great.  Thanks to this figure, I have come to like Carol in this costume... almost as much as her "Warbird" outfit.

The runner up would be "Jane Thor" for the great sculpt.  Yondu is almost a winner -- if they just hadn't given him that cheap-looking belt.  Why didn't you use that rubbery plastic, like usual, Hasbro??

So what were your Fav 5??

#2 stitch13

stitch13

Driller

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

1. The Collector

2. Groot  (comic pack)

3. Hydro-Man

4. Gamora (despite the sub-par articulation, I really like the sculpted armor)

5. MAX Hyperion

Howard the Duck would have made the list, but I can't keep mine standing without something propping him up.

#3 norinradd

norinradd

Andorian

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

My favorite 5 from 2016 selection (which wasn't much-I feel if there are so few releases they should be done really well-here's hoping for a good 2017):
1.) Groot (from the GOTG 2 pack):
2.) LockJaw: Everything Dracos said, I am in agreement with 100%....but mostly the  "I never thought they would be ballsy enough to release a figure for such a classic character as this"-sentiment

3.) Jane Thor: I have enjoyed Jason Aaron's writing on the series; combined with the current-ness of this character; scale and accuracy of it. I love showcasing her along with my Frost Giant.

4.) Collector: Again, I have to agree with Dracos that it seemed unlikely for Taneleer Tivan, a great addition to the expanding universe of our collections, and a relevant character for the GotG and Thor. I would give a separate spot for Moon Boy (as he is a great little figure-with his articulation; texture; and scale) but firstly I wanted my choices to vary from Dracos (at least a little) and secondly I felt that having three out of five choices all from the same premium exclusive set would make selecting my five too easy of a challenge.

5.) Gamora: While I struggled to fill this spot (almost adding the repaint first appearance of Daredevil-which is a better articulated figure), I ultimately decided to add this figure as it filled a hole in our collections which desperately needed to be filled. Now while the costume was not consistent with the previously released GOTG figure set uniforms and it was not consistent with the movie costume either, it still was nice to have this addition of a character. And she even included...gasp...TWO accesories. Way to go Hasbro-lol.

Honorable Mention #1: Hydro man - he would have made my list, except for the fact that his water effect was a permanent solution and not an attachment (the figure would have been that much cooler if he had legs and the hydro effects.

Honorable Mention #2: Carol Danvers Captain Marvel -she would have made this list, had she been packaged with the reolaceable helmeted head to prevent having to buy what was essentially the same figure twice. Ultimately, I would have purchased the two pack anyways (just to get the kree soldier version), but the pack in of the added head would have gone a long way in good will from Hasbro.

#4 Chazwinski

Chazwinski

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Slow year for me. I bought Dr. Octopus, Northstar, Black Knight, and Vulture from previous years, so they're new to me... I actually only bought 4 of the 2016 figures and I guess my order would be:

1)Yondu: I really love this comic version. He's such a colorful addition to my collection and reminds me of some of the old Filmation Flash Gordon characters from my youth. Also, he's a minor character who looks like a major character, which I've always found interesting.

2)Captain Marvel: I'm still not a fan of this costume (give me the sexy black one, any day) but I dislike it less as I grow used to it. Nice face and I know I may be in the minority, but I like this female body shape better than the Emma/Scarlet Witch sculpt (not a fan of the thin, thigh-cut legs usually). I just wish it had torso or waist articulation. She's also a colorful addition.

3)Gamora: Again, from what I've read, I'm in the minority but I like this costume a lot. I know it's not her most well-known look, but something about it screams "sci-fi" to me. The armor and Godslayer sword with the shorter hairstyle give her a "Joan of Arc" vibe to me...if you repainted her, she might also pass for Selene of Underworld. The lack of articulation is the only thing I really don't like.

4)Rogue: Nostalgic costume for me and a must-have as I love my X-Men...but again...That crappy hairstyle! LOL

Biggest Disappointment: Triton could have been SO awesome and they really dropped the ball...Errrrrr...

#5 CobraSaboteur87

CobraSaboteur87

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

For me, these are the top 5 characters that I was most pleased to see get their 3.75 treatment last year. They are in no order whatsoever.
1. TRU Black Panther
2. Ulik
3. Collector
4. Hydro Man
5. Living Laser
Honorable Mention: Spidey Noir

#6 dragonkings

dragonkings

Storm Shadow

• Members
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

Jane Thor, (just really dig this design overall)

Spiderman Noir.(a great design.. but needed a hat and Jacket to be perfect)

Female Wolverine- ( so I got her Early, the paints are sloppy but like the design, made a Female heroes shelf)

Gamora, (Glad to finally have her AND I actually like the look)

Groot from the 2 pack. (That one surprised me on how good it was)

Also a shout out to Machine-man
What ruined him was the lack of torso articulation and NON SWAPABLE arms.
If he had swapable Arms like the ML version or better yet lile Cobra B.a.t.s. He would of been on my list.

Biggest want that ended up disappointing a bit was Quasar. That sculpt didn't grow on me like I had hoped and felt it lends better to a Dracula.
Still glad to get him but not what I had hoped.
Plus Wish they extended those big figure Mold legs a 1/2 inch they come off too short. I Liked Ulik but wish he was a little Taller.

Only figures I hated where any that #$@# Spiderman Body. They need to stop using that,
Even with good paint jobs those figures will never go in to my collection.

Can't comment on anything from the Collector's Vault, never got that set.

#7 Yodaminch

Yodaminch

Snakeman

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

Lockjaw- Frankly the start of the show.

Thor (Jane Foster) - Solely because she retained 90% of the original sculpt's articulation. 

Hydroman- For similar reasons. Not wild about the costume choice though

Rage- Always great to get a new warrior character

Rogue- Much better face sculpt than the 90s one. If I can ever figure out how to do a hair transplant on this, I may.

Overall, terribly disappointing year. Lockjaw pretty much beats 90% of what we got and he has even less articulation than those figures.

#8 PushYouDown

PushYouDown

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Lockjaw- Frankly the start of the show.

Thor (Jane Foster) - Solely because she retained 90% of the original sculpt's articulation. 

Hydroman- For similar reasons. Not wild about the costume choice though

Rage- Always great to get a new warrior character

Rogue- Much better face sculpt than the 90s one. If I can ever figure out how to do a hair transplant on this, I may.

Overall, terribly disappointing year. Lockjaw pretty much beats 90% of what we got and he has even less articulation than those figures.

I'm pretty much the same. I'm shocked at how much I like that Rogue figure. Same with Armored Spidey..... if he had a waist swivel I'd call him just about perfect.

No particular order-

Rogue

Armored Spidey

2 pack Groot

Rage

Living Laser

#9 Dracos

Dracos

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Back when they previewed Armored Spidey at SDCC, I thought that the figure looked like garbage.  In person, it's a great figure, despite the reduced articulation.  It would be on my runner-up list, and I have zero interest in that version of Spidey.  It's just a great sculpt.

#10 Dracos

Dracos

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Is the more human-like face of the Groot figure true to the comic book art?  I picture him now as he appeared in the movie.  I have the trade paperback that collects the first stories of the modern-era Guardians of the Galaxy, but it is a bit buried now, and I don't feel like digging it out.

#11 Axonrey

Axonrey

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, i ended up loving that armored spidey, too.

#12 feihong

feihong

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

Is the more human-like face of the Groot figure true to the comic book art?  I picture him now as he appeared in the movie.  I have the trade paperback that collects the first stories of the modern-era Guardians of the Galaxy, but it is a bit buried now, and I don't feel like digging it out.

11232548_1583046128627170_1065418065_n.j

I customized my Groot figure a while ago and did a bunch of research on this. The DnA Guardians of the Galaxy series had many different pencillers, and they all designed Groot's face a little differently from one another. Most interior artists included a nose at this point, but seldom is the face ever in the proportions we see on the Hasbro figure.

The cover artists for the series vary Groot's look wildly, and because the Guardians series crosses over with War of Kings and concludes with The Thanos Imperative, a separate miniseries, a lot of other artists deliver different version of Groot. He seems to be one of those characters artists take a special joy in making their own...at least, that was before the movie was a big hit. Who knows now what pressure there is for creators to draw Groot on some sort of model?

PAofDZL.jpg  

The Keith Giffen/Timothy Green II Starlord series (a miniseries branching out of Annihilation: Conquest, itself the sequel to DnA's Annihilation crossover series), where the white-trimmed costume the Groot figure wears comes from, features a Groot with no nose, but rather, a hole in his bark roughly corresponding to where the nose would be. That Groot looks very wild and craggy, and nothing like the human-faced figure Hasbro made.

acstarlord1c.jpg

None of the various artists who drew Groot in that era give him a facial physiognomy resembling a human being, the way the Hasbro figure presents him. If the different pencillers give him a nose, it is usually diminished in significance by an enormous, animalistic-looking mouth. That's a big difference between these various drawings and the Hasbro figure. The pinched, narrow face of the Hasbro figure is something no artist drew in any issue of the Guardians series that I have found.

f1c5e611143f25ca0aec7585b1f0a97d.jpg

You can also see that Hasbro took a good deal of license in reproducing the Keith Giffen/Timothy Green II series' blue costumes. In the series, these costumes are a sort of greyish-turquoise, all very pale. Instead they went for a navy blue on the figures, and a design of figure and uniform that wasn't scrupulously on-model. 

#13 Dracos

Dracos

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Thanks feihong!!  Much appreciated.  The face does match the cover art of the comic that it comes with, though.  I was wondering if he had ever been drawn that way anyplace else.  Now I know. :)
I would say that the Groot figure is another case of Bobby and his team being lazy on their research.  Or just another bad decision, like in the case of Quasar's angular face.

At least the figure does look very cool.

#14 RichardC

RichardC

Stormtrooper

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Comic pack groot
Gamora
Living laser
Armored daredevil
Rouge

#15 feihong

feihong

Mer-Man

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

For me a list would probably be this:

All-New Wolverine

Jane Foster Thor

Groot, I suppose, but that face just looks wrong to me

Hydroman

The Collector

I wanted to include Rogue, but that figure is garbage in every way but the face. I basically chose figures that retained most of the articulation the line has provided. I loved the character selections in a lot of cases, but when the figure in question has diminished articulation it almost looks like it comes from another toy line. Plus, the reduced articulation bucks are either to tall (the Vision/Machine Man buck)) or too short (the Black Cat/Rogue/Shanna buck). Rogue is not a short character, and that figure is just so diminutive it looks like a joke. I'd love to see them return some of the articulation to this figure line, as they've claimed is the plan going forward, but their attempts to do that have been very inconsistent so far. So I can only really praise the figures that for one reason or another deliver on that promise.

#16 PsychoPirate

PsychoPirate

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

1.  The Collector's Vault - Lockjaw and Moonboy could have made this list separately, but Collector himself was also nice (though I would have preferred classic colors and a wrinkled chin). Howard was fine for a static figure, but I always liked the "old" Howard who looked more like Donald Duck.  The props were fun, too.

Collector%20ark%20reduced_zpsyoce038s.jp

(My props are funnier.)

2. Civil War Falcon - People have said they would pay a premium for more accessories, and Hasbro delivered. Great figure, cool accessories including a drone with attachable stand, AND an alternate head.  You could have snagged him for sub-$10 on Amazon at Christmas time, too.

Falcon%20fly%20iso_zps4kl2pd5s.jpg

3. Jane Foster Thor - Just an excellent job capturing the character. (And, yes, Jason Aaron rocks the Thor-verse.)

4.  Gamora - Yes, she doesn't match any of the other Guardians, but this is a great figure. I love the armor sculpt.  Do yourself a favor, though, and replace her gun with a First Order Stormtrooper pistol. 

Gamora%204_zps7y4sklxf.jpg

5. Modern Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) - The new female buck is far better than the new male buck, and the old female bucks have flaws in their proportions.  Yes, she lacks wrist articulation, but the colors pop, there is an alternate head (how long has it been since *that* has happened?), and I can't display this figure prominently enough.

Runners up:

• Civil War Black Panther (not a thing wrong with him)
  • Quasar
  • Civil War Captain America with motorcycle
  • Hydroman (props for the experimentation, but I don't even recognize this version of the character)
  • Armored Spiderman

#17 PsychoPirate

PsychoPirate

Battle Droid

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Recent%20group_zpsux047qco.jpg

2016%20group%202_zpsihgpkaua.jpg

2016%20group%203a_zpscqqykqny.jpg

Civil%20War%20group_zps2ev46pci.jpg

#18 A_Spidey_Fan

A_Spidey_Fan

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

For me in Marvel 4" figures in 2016 personally, it was more like "The Year Of Thor", as I not only picked up the Thor Comic Book 2 Pack and Ulik, but I also able to back track and pick up some pervious 4" Thor related figures from the 1st Movie, the 4" Infinite Series, and a Loki from the 5POA 4" Avengers Assemble line(Just for the accessories and the head really).  Works out anyways, cause most of my Thor related figures are in 4" scale.  I still did pick up other stuff too both from 2016 and past years(Mostly thanks to sales and deals), but I'd say a good chunk of it was Thor related theme.

Before I do my list, let me explain that I collect both 4" and 6" figures.  I do a good chunk of the time get characters in different scales, but sometimes, if the character has been known to have different costumes, I may only get 1 or 2 versions of a character in 6"(Mostly my most favourite and/or "Standard" costumes), and the other costumes that I like or are okay with in the 4" scale(Though a "Standard" costume is sometimes included as well).  This way, even if I did get the same figure over and over again in different scales, at least they are in different costumes(Not to concern if it's in the "Correct Era" or what not).

Going to do 2 different Top 5 lists, as they are in no particular order, but I'll stick with stuff that was released in 2016, or at the very least, very late 2015(Like maybe December if anything):

Top 5 2016 Releases I Own:

(1.) 1st Appearance Yellow Daredevil: Always had a soft spot for this costume, but regardless of scale, I always felt I needed to get a 6" Standard Red Suit 1st.  After finally getting a Red Suit in Fall 2015(Which I think is the only 6" Daredevil I ever need), and knowing the popularity of Daredevil thanks to the Netflix series, I knew it was only a matter of time before they would re-release the 2nd 4" Mold in the Yellow(Had no interest in the 6" Walgreens version), and felt the 4" would be good enough to represent this costume.  Sure enough, we found out that in 2016, the Yellow Suit would be in the 4" scale with the 2nd Mold.  Really like the look, as I now have a 4" Daredevil too.  If they decided to do a Red Daredevil in the 2nd Mold again, I hope they do a Bright Red, and have the DD Logo be outline in Black.  And maybe do Shadowland Daredevil as well with the mold, cause I'll buy both in the 4" scale.

(2.) Jane Foster Thor from the Thor Comic Book 2 Pack: Just like it over all, and since again, most of my Thor related figures are 4" scale, goes well.  Nice to get the new Thor, as I wasn't super picky on if I got a 4" or 6" scale of her.  The Younger Thor is okay, but I wish they didn't make his Head look like a Neanderthal.

(3.) Living Laser: Just love the See-through Plastic Purple, and the paint apps(If done right of course), looks really good with it.  Wasn't 100% sure if I was going to pick it up or not, but once I saw it, I changed my mine and it became a Must Have.

(4.) House Of M Spidey: A better shade of blue used this time when compared to the 4" Marvel Universe version.  Just wish it still came with the webbag and the webline.  My must have when I 1st heard of it.  And Glad they just reused the MU House Of M mold and not that really crappy Spidey Mold they've been using since the Infinite Series 4" Big Time Spidey.  Seriously, they need to stop using that mold, cause I may have picked up Kane Scarlett Spidey and more interested in UK Spidey if they used a better mold.  I mean, I'd be okay with UK Spidey in 4" scale, but man, that body they are using.  And it has nothing to do with less Joints either, because sculpt's body just seem off.

(5.) Ulik: Just like the look of this figure over all. 

Top 5 2016 Releases I Don't Own(Basically judging from reviews, pics, and what not, but I still think are awesome):

(1.) SDCC 2106 Exclusive set over all was good and is worthy to own if you can get it.  If I have to choose only 1, I think I'd have to give it to Lockjaw though, cause I just couldn't see how they find a way to release a 4" scale of that Dog, but they did.  The few 4" Inhumans they've done, they need their teleporting Dog.  I have a feeling that if the Inhumans movie does indeed still happen(It's been kind of iffy the last little while), I'm sure they will use the mold again in a Inhumans boxset of sorts.

(2.) The TRU Exclusive 4" Captain America: Civil War 2 Packs are good, but if I had to choose only 1 figure, it has to be the King himself, Black Panther.  Sculpt is well done and the figure looks fantastic.  Was actually going to consider getting the 2 Pack with Agent 13 after seeing pics of the sculpt and would of been fine with a 4" representation of that design, but the 6" in the end won me over thanks to the swapping head.  But the 4" is still fantastic regardless, and if the Black Panther Movie uses the same or similar looking suit(Including any minor deco changes), I'll consider it if they do re-release/repaint the figure.

(3.) The Deluxe 4" Captain America: Civil War sets are really nice.  Like how Cap from his set looks more like his Civil War suit and his cycle is nice.  But I'd say Falcon wins if I have to choose 1 not only because of the sculpt, suit, and larger wings, but the little Redwing Drone and a including peg for it to show it flying, and even better, a swapping unmasked head.  I didn't pick this up because I was able to get the TRU Exclusive Avengers: Age Of Ultron 4" Hawkeye And Falcon 2 Pack at a very good price, even just shortly after I heard Civil War Falcon.  And while the Civil War toy is much better, I'm happy with the Falcon I have, and felt no need to pick the Civil War one.  As for the Redwing Drone, I'm sure I can whip something up or use something I can sub for it.

(4.) The Guardians Of The Galaxy Comic Book 2 Packs I think are well done.  Like the matching costumes for Starlord, Rocket, and Groot, as I like the Blue and white used.  Both Single and Comic Book Gamora are nicely done, but I think the slight deco differences in the 2 pack are better with the brighter green hair and the yellow around the eyes.  But I think Groot steals the show here for his look and size.  Creative way of having his legs separated in packaging in order to have him in the 2 pack packaging.  My only complaint about the Groot and Rocket 2 pack is that it doesn't include the Baby Groot figurine/accessory that was used in the past(Both the Guardians Marvel Universe 3 Pack, and the Infinite Series Rocket).  I do hope they can do a 4" Comic Drax in a matching theme deco just to kind of complete the team.  I haven't see these sets in Canada yet, but I'm thinking of picking them up if they do show up.

(5.) X-23 in Wolverine Suit:  Just looks nice over all, as I think this is the 1st X-23 in 4" scale.  This wave not released in Canada yet.  But if it does, going to strongly consider it.

#19 dragonkings

dragonkings

Storm Shadow

• Members
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Nice list,
Wish we get more two packs soon.

Btw this is the second X-23,

The first was that Silver Xforce one.

And was glad to get the Ulik and Jane Foster is one of my all time favorites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Customs Comics DVDs Figures Games Marvel Database Movies News Reviews TV Forums Home

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © 2013 Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us