New gif avatars: good or bad?

I'm really not trying to complain here or ruin anyones fun, but the excessive amounts of gif avatars could be bad news for users with dialup connections. I went to look at all the new Marvel avatars, and while I was waiting for the page to load, I went outside and smoked a cigarette. When I came back in, the page still wasn't done downloading. Now, once you've downloaded the gifs once and they're stored in your temp internet files, you're not really gonna have problems with pages loading...but once you clear out those temp files and come back to the site, plan on waiting quite a while for topics to load. Considering the new gif avatars average about 20-25 kb a piece...say there are 10 replys to a topic from 10 different people using the gifs as avatars...you're gonna be waiting a about two minutes for a topic to load since it has to load the page, the text, and the huge gifs.

Yeah the Marvel gallery is slow but since you only go into the gallery every once in a while to change an avater I figure it was worth it to have a bunch of cool avaters. Think of it this way, if they weren't there then you wouldn't even really have a reason to go load that page to begin with :)- .

I think they are good. I have said in the past that big avatars or signatures were bad simply because of the fact that I hate seeing a big old picture with a tiny post. :lol:

But it seems like everyone's gonna have them, so why fight it? :lol:

And it helps to have a DSL 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the new avatars are a little too big :( the old ones were definatly way way to small.. lol.. most of them were the size of the emoticons. I dont mind people have them in sigs and stuff.. but I feel its gonna start getting carried away soon.. sigs and avatars just keep getting bigger and fancier..

Like the 2005 baords.. they are really bad for that.. hard to find what people are typing half the time.. I dont want adc to turn into that too.