Sign in to follow this  
marvel77

F4:ROTSS review

went to see the movie today and i have to say i was impressed. the silver surfer was amazing. also when doom temporarily took the surfer's powers that was aewsome. i will have to say this about galactus , that being i was not dissappointed with him at all. that is because if you looked closely when the surfer went into the center of the cloud you could see a fiery silohuette of galactus' helmet. a lot of action and great special effects made it all in all a good movie. my only suggestion is that they should have put the watcher in it. after all in the comics it was the watcher that not only tried to hide the planet from the surfer and galactus but he also warned the fantastic four about the threat.

my suggestions for a 3rd one, if they even make a 3rd one, is that they should put the fantastic four against annihilus. either this or bring back galactus. after all galactus is not destroyed. instead just sent somewhere else, just as the surfer has done in the comics before.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself but by the previews I have seen it looks fun.The power swapping with the FF is great to.Especially when Sue gets Johnny's power.Also,when Johnny gets Ban's power.They are not taking themselves too seriously in this one.

Saw it and I have to say if you liked the first one then chances are you'll like this one. If you hated FF1 then you probably won't be loving this one either.

For me, it was OK because I felt that at times they really got close to to some great moments in the film but it was always close... and that's it. Ben Grimm is walking comedy relief, Doom is a lame villain, and the dialogue is just plain bad in most instances. However, what worked? The Ben and Johnny dynamic, the Reed and Sue dynamic (although Alba is hot to look at she really brings nothing else to the role) and best of all, the Silver Surfer. He simply rules, especially in the scenes where the chrome is off him. Doug Jones is the Silver Surfer in my book as much as Hugh Jackman now owns Wolverine.

Overall, its very similar to Ghost Rider and the last FF in tone. If you go, expect some great eye candy, nothing too deep (or any character development for that matter) and just sit back and enjoy a nice, loose little FF story with a cool moment or two. Remember, this ain't Shakespeare, but it will take care of your comic fix for a while.

Saw it and I have to say if you liked the first one then chances are you'll like this one. If you hated FF1 then you probably won't be loving this one either.

For me, it was OK because I felt that at times they really got close to to some great moments in the film but it was always close... and that's it. Ben Grimm is walking comedy relief, Doom is a lame villain, and the dialogue is just plain bad in most instances. However, what worked? The Ben and Johnny dynamic, the Reed and Sue dynamic (although Alba is hot to look at she really brings nothing else to the role) and best of all, the Silver Surfer. He simply rules, especially in the scenes where the chrome is off him. Doug Jones is the Silver Surfer in my book as much as Hugh Jackman now owns Wolverine.

Overall, its very similar to Ghost Rider and the last FF in tone. If you go, expect some great eye candy, nothing too deep (or any character development for that matter) and just sit back and enjoy a nice, loose little FF story with a cool moment or two. Remember, this ain't Shakespeare, but it will take care of your comic fix for a while.

I saw it last night and I have to disagree, I thought it was leaps and bounds ahead of the first one, and blows Ghost Rider out of the water. This one actually made me care about the characters. Granted like you said, it's not Shakespeare but everyone seemed to hit their role so much better this time (Reed and Sue especially). This is a movie that definitely knows it's roots. It's about a dysfunctional superhero family, which save for moments here and there has never been all too serious and this movie finds the perfect balance between action, comedy, and storytelling. This is one of the better Marvel movies out in some time IMO. Dare I say best summer movie so far? At least the most fun if nothing else.

*SPOILERS*...............................................................................................................................................................................................I thought this one was WAY better than the first one... Silver Surfer was awesome, and I thought that Dr. Doom was cooler in this one than the last... but did we ever see him really die? I sure hope they don't bring him back in the third one......... that would be overkill...

Galactus as a cloud was better than I expected it... after all, a giant cosmic being would of looked kind of silly on the big screen... but it was a cool nod to comic fans to see the shadow of his helmet...

The Stan Lee at the wedding gag made me laugh so hard... poor Stan, he created the FF but he can't go to Reed and Sue's wedding lol...

In the end... Silver Surfer is still alive? and the board is in one piece... i'm not sure how they'll handle the third one...

Overall, you should see it, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the first one IMO.

Yup, better than the first, awesome movie. Surfer was handled very well, and lawrence fishburne was the perfect choice for his voice. As already stated, the galactus cloud worked really well. Kinda wishing things had been finalized with doom, rather than leaving him in the ocean though.

Glad I went to see it for sure.

It was better then the first, but that really isn't saying too much.

It wasn't great but it was too bad either. The movie just seemed to childish. Could have been so much better if they made the movies have more of an adult tone/seriousness to it.

Saw it earlier this afternoon. MUCH better than the first one. Galactus was such a small part of the whole movie (whether by design or to save money on effects) that it's not even worth getting worked up about the cloud situation. Johnny was great again, Thing was good even though the fact that he is a midget is very distracting, Alba eyes did look freakishly blue but she's not as bad an actress as many say, and Mr. Fantastic was decent. Doom was weak as expected. Surfer steals the show...amazing effects and he looked exactly as I would picture him looking on the big screen.

Really good movie and proof that once again critics have no idea what people like.

all in all i thought the F4 themselves were better all-around. and i did appreciate that there was more action, and that little side elements indicated that they're an actual superhero team, not just a bunch of people with powers (talking about the foiled bank robbery in the beginning, rushing from their wedding to the rescue in the end, etc.), and more than in the first movie, i appreciated the characters.

Dr. Doom had so much potential that they screwed up SO hard... all they ever had to do was NOT give him stupid lines and he'd have been LIGHTYEARS better than he turned out to be. (an accent wouldnt have hurt either.) the fact that he was healed really bugged me. however, i WAS really happy with his look... for once, he now actually looked like Doom OUGHT to... armored and badass. and it did fit that he stole the surfer's powers... he's done that a lot.

Surfer was just excellent and there's nothing i'd have changed about his portrayal, except ONE thing... am i the only one that really wanted him to say, "TO ME, MY BOARD!" at some point? :D in any case, they kept him very true to his traditional form... he's this very lofty, godlike, alien figure that's just human enough to understand the people of earth. i did think the whole "his power comes from his board" thing was a little hokey, but it did give a good, easily explained reason for Doom to steal his power. one thing that bugged me about him plot-wise was that they say he basically has always had the power to thwart Galactus, and only now decided to do that... and that the F4 basically had nothing to do with defeating Galactus aside from recovering the surfboard.

all in all it was pretty good. not a GREAT movie, but definitely entertaining.

I liked it quite a bit! Could have been longer and could have dove into Torch's struggles more that would have been better.

did any one else notice at the second wedding, when they mentioned the city sinking into the adriadic? could this be setting up for Namor?

I took my 6 year old to see it (had too because it's the first Superhero movie in recent memory that wasn't PG-13), and because I saw it with him, I really enjoyed it. I loved Batman and the Spidey's (the first two anyway) as well as the Hulk (it was ok), but with a little bit of effort and proper editing those could have (should have) ALSO been PG, for the kids.

Are the studios missing out by making everything PG-13?

did any one else notice at the second wedding, when they mentioned the city sinking into the adriadic? could this be setting up for Namor?

Not gonna happen, unfortunately. Universal owns the rights to Namor and they are planning a solo movie for him, so they wouldn't allow him to be any of the F4 movies (which are done by Fox). Namor was actually the original choice for this sequel but they had to go w/ the Surfer because of the license issue.

I thought it was pretty good. The team dynamic was handled well and the only problem that I had with it was THAT STUPID DANCE CLUB SCENE. I hate to see dancing in movies that don't need it,and this is the reason why. This scene took me completley out of the story for a minute. Alba's eyes also kind of threw me off. But the Surfer, F4, and even Doom wasn't nearly was bad as the first time around. I hope the sequel gets into the Kree Skrull storyline (although a Namor storyline would be a hell of a lot cooler). Also, this will be a great jumping off point for a Silver Surfer movie, Star Wars meets A Space Odyssey.

I hope the sequel gets into the Kree Skrull storyline
Funny you say that because first off,I hated the way the movie did Surfers character and don't EVEN get me started on what they did to Galactus @grumpy@ I'm sorry but a vague image in a fire cloud doesn't cut it.My point though was this, when Johnny had all their powers I was thinking that The Super Skrull would have made a MUCH better villian for this flick. And lastly,sadly we will most likely never see a crossover movie because the MU is not under one universal umbrella so don't get your hopes up.At least WB has all if not most of the DC rights.

I hope the sequel gets into the Kree Skrull storyline
Funny you say that because first off,I hated the way the movie did Surfers character and don't EVEN get me started on what they did to Galactus @grumpy@ I'm sorry but a vague image in a fire cloud doesn't cut it.My point though was this, when Johnny had all their powers I was thinking that The Super Skrull would have made a MUCH better villian for this flick. And lastly,sadly we will most likely never see a crossover movie because the MU is not under one universal umbrella so don't get your hopes up.At least WB has all if not most of the DC rights.

Uh, Ok, that's great to know.

The team dynamic was handled well and the only problem that I had with it was THAT STUPID DANCE CLUB SCENE. I hate to see dancing in movies that don't need it,and this is the reason why. This scene took me completley out of the story for a minute.

I personally rather liked that scene. It was a lot better than the Spidey 3 dance scene.

I like this movie a lot better than Spider-man 3.

I saw it last night with RC Rika and I was pleased with the movie as a whole. There were moments that were a bit dull and bland but at least it didn't feel crammed like Spidey 3 did. I also liked knowing that Galactus was IN the cloud and not the cloud itself and you can see him briefly when the Surfer was on his way in. I expect a Silver Surfer spinoff and have the Fantastic Four fight other villians.

The team dynamic was handled well and the only problem that I had with it was THAT STUPID DANCE CLUB SCENE. I hate to see dancing in movies that don't need it,and this is the reason why. This scene took me completley out of the story for a minute.

I personally rather liked that scene. It was a lot better than the Spidey 3 dance scene.

I like this movie a lot better than Spider-man 3.

Well, I'll agree that it was better than the spider-man 3 scene, but that's not saying much; it's like saying I'd rather get punched in the face instead of getting kicked in the crotch.

Whichever you want.

Ahhhhh,sarcasm @smilepunch@ Nice Sue Storm pic BTW,why can't they make that figure?? lol.

If Jessica Alba looked like that in the next movie, I would watch it over and over and over, I don't care how many dance scenes the movie had.