Sign in to follow this  
DarthJoe

Anyone here collect not-so-popular 80's toys?

I've recently been browsing ebay in search of certain toys, like the 6" A-Team figures, Ghostbusters, Inhumanoids, Rambo, Sectaurs, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else collects any of the often forgot toy lines of the 80's and if so, how hard was it to find mint/nearmint, complete figures?

I'm not looking to collect everything in every line...just the well recognized figures, like the 4 figures from A-Team (BA, Face, Murdock, Hannibal), the 4 series 1 Ghostbusters (Egon, Ray, Winston, Peter), etc.

One other question I have is about a toy line that I remember as a child, but I have no clue what it was called. The figures were small, and had magnets on their feet. They were futuristic/space looking. If I remember correctly, they had small vehicles...they may have came with the vehicles or sold separately...I'm not sure. Anyone know what it might be?

I've occasionally bought M.A.S.K. figures, but that's about it. I've thought of getting some old Real Ghostbusters though, I used to have a tone of those back in the day, even Ecto-1 and the Firehouse.

One other question I have is about a toy line that I remember as a child, but I have no clue what it was called. The figures were small, and had magnets on their feet. They were futuristic/space looking. If I remember correctly, they had small vehicles...they may have came with the vehicles or sold separately...I'm not sure. Anyone know what it might be?

That sounds like Starcom--which was a really fun toy-line. Friction powered springs and magnets where the gimmick--no batteries in any of the sets was the claim--and they had great stylings and detail.

Its was one of those lines that I liked the BAD guys stuff more than the good guys--I had the Shadow BAT, Shadow raider sets--with the two small snub fighters and the larger carrier craft and the small ATV that went inside the cargo bay. Really cool toys.

I like Rambo--and it went well with the cheapo Commando figure that came out in the same scale. I still have my 6-7inch John Matrix and the bare-chested John Rambo figures.

Cops 'n Crooks would be my pick for a "unpopular" 80's toy-line--but I loved it. Still have some of those too.

In terms of finding them.........Ebay os certainly the easiest route, though look for antique/collectible shows, specifically toy shows in your area. A lot of thse older toys tend to be sold at these shows--I found this to be the case in my toy jaunts stateside up to about 10 years ago.

Mind you, that is a long time ago but you can still get lucky.

The last avenue is any antique malls or older collectible toy stores around you--as they can ahve some of this kind of stuff too.

Guest Mike

I wish transformers weren't so popular, then I could afford to get more of them :P

That sounds like Starcom--which was a really fun toy-line. Friction powered springs and magnets where the gimmick--no batteries in any of the sets was the claim--and they had great stylings and detail.

Its was one of those lines that I liked the BAD guys stuff more than the good guys--I had the Shadow BAT, Shadow raider sets--with the two small snub fighters and the larger carrier craft and the small ATV that went inside the cargo bay. Really cool toys.

That's exactly the line I was thinking of!

Thanks a ton! :D

I like Rambo--and it went well with the cheapo Commando figure that came out in the same scale. I still have my 6-7inch John Matrix and the bare-chested John Rambo figures.

John Rambo was the only figure I ever had from the line as a kid...still have it, complete with machine gun, rpg, survival knife, bandolier, belt and the two knuckle knives. :P

Wanted to get a few more from this line.

On a side note...anyone remember the Rambo cartoon that these were based off of? @lol@

Cops 'n Crooks would be my pick for a "unpopular" 80's toy-line--but I loved it. Still have some of those too.

Yeah, I remember really wanting those toys as a kid, but never had the chance to get any, as I would always choose GI Joes over them when I was allowed to pick out a toy on shopping days with my parents. I always liked how articulated they seemed at the time.

In terms of finding them.........Ebay os certainly the easiest route, though look for antique/collectible shows, specifically toy shows in your area. A lot of thse older toys tend to be sold at these shows--I found this to be the case in my toy jaunts stateside up to about 10 years ago.

Mind you, that is a long time ago but you can still get lucky.

The last avenue is any antique malls or older collectible toy stores around you--as they can ahve some of this kind of stuff too.

I live in Montana...hence, no toy shows. @lol@

Antique shops could be a possibility, but with the money I'd spend on gas, it probably wouldn't be worth it, and would probably come up empty-handed anyways.

My only real resource is the internet...and it seems like these more obscure toys are hard to come by in mint/complete condition.

Just thought of another line I really want to get a few toys from...Dino-Riders. I remember lusting after the T-Rex from that toy line, but once again, my love for GI Joe consumed any hope of ever getting it. @lol@

Need some more help naming a toy line...

I remember having a toy, around the same time He-Man was at it's peak...it was basically a MOTU knock-off (same scale, articulation, look, theme). They had something similiar to a striker from a lighter, in their chest I think, with a transparent plastic piece that would light up when you flicked it. They also came with a smaller gremlin/demon looking figure, that had no articulation.

Anyone have a clue what these were called?

I think you are talking about Blackstar.

The bad guys had these skinny green guys maybe later repainted purple and the good guys had these little dwarf looking guys that had really pink skin.

I got all kinds of things when I was a kid. I had all of the Sectaurs. Other lines I got but never had complete collections were StarCom, Battle Beasts, Centurians, Visionaries, Dino Riders, MASK, Chuck Norris Karate Commandos, Rambo, Blackstar. Captain Power, Adam Power?, Ghostbusters and probably more I can't think of.

I was mainly into GI Joe and pretty much had all of that, it was my flagship line I collected. I got alot of Vintage Star Wars, MOTU and Transformers.

Looking back I miss those more obscure lines alot.

I had to sel all but my Joes when I moved in highschool. So I don't have any of that 80's stuff anymore. I have been bale to find two Sectaurs and I really would like to eventually get the rest again.

My only real resource is the internet...and it seems like these more obscure toys are hard to come by in mint/complete condition.

Well, all is not lost. Not by a long shot, I'd say.

Last year, I put forth the word on-line requesting some Mattel Big Jim stuff. I figured I'd have to spend about $500-$1000 to get the items I wanted.

I had two main grail vehicles and a few figures on my want-list.

Well, I got those two vehicles AND some figures AND two large playsets, and a few bits and pieces that completed some outfit sets.

I spent $100 and got all that........well, because I asked. A few things I did NOT pay have to pay for, in fact!

I feel that, today, the secret is a combo of what you know and WHO you know.

My secret is a usenet newsgroup: alt.toys.g-joe. Been a participant there for .......10 years now, it seems, maybe a couple of years longer. The regulars there I know, some personally, and they are all "just like me".

And they often have all kinds of things ready to trade.

That is how I got most of those Big Jim items AND, were I to decide to collect any of the stuff we've talked about in this thread, those folks would be the first I'd go to.

Now........I sorta have an advantage: I've built up a personal rep and rapport with those folks over the years, so just "asking" merits generous assistance. That takes time and effort to create, and its not easy. Its like a kind of trust.....the longer the fellowship, the greater the trust the more aid is likely to come.

Now, that is an avenue you can take......but again......its depends upon your sphere of influence.

Ebay IS the easiest route, but its also the most impersonal and ......well, Ebay is daunting too.

Like living in Montana, I'm now in rural BC, and all them toy shows I once frequented in Vancouver may as well be on the next continent. But that wasn't an impediment in collecting Big Jim--even stuck in the middle of nowhere, the stuff still found its way to me.

I'm on a hiatus from that collecting, for a short while, but once I get back to it......I have every confidence that I'll find the stuff.

That's been my 22+ year experience in collecting toys--that the stuff CAN be found. Its just a matter of time, patience and oportunity, but the stuff will come to you.

TNI is much the same kind of venue as the newsgroup I mentioned.......the potential resource is the same. I say potential because it seems like most collectors here graviate towards only the latest stuff. There's little traffic in older obscure toys here........but then again, the internet is vast and has many niches.

I never knew about a clique of absolutely gonzo Barris' Batmobile collectors until I mentioned my love for that car. And that is just one area of interest I've found. The internet is, imo, the single greatest tool to ever fall into the hands of collectors.

My advice to consider everything, and try anything to find what you want.

I consider it part of the fun of collecting myself.

I think you are talking about Blackstar.

Yep, that's it! :D

Looking it up on google, I had the yellow, gargoyle looking guy with the trident, that came with the orange colored smaller demon-looking figure.

Ahh...sweet thread DarthJoe! If I had the money, I'd collect the following lines: M.A.S.K., Super Powers, Secret Wars, Power Lords, Indiana Jones, Centurions, Starcom, Air Raiders, Sky Commanders, Bravestar (?), Visionaries, The Lone Rangers, Legends of the Old West, The Dukes of Hazzard, C.H.I.Ps, Rambo...and I'm sure I'm forgetting half-a-dozen other lines I'd be into if I were a millionaire. (lol)

Centurions were cool

and let's not forget Silverhawks. I used to have a complese loose collection (including Mirage)...I wish I didn't sell it.

Other than GI Joe, Star Wars, MOTU and Transformers. I liked Crystar, Tron, Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. My friends and I used all of the space themed toys together. I would generally have Buck and his Starfighter if one of my friends was playing with Han Solo. Another MOTU style line was based on the DC comic "The Warlord" I never had any of those figures, but they looked decent.

Ahh...I FORGOT about Crystar! Yeah, I liked those too. I also forgot about Tron, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. Loved Silverhawks too. EBay here I come!! (Crap...thanks alot DarthJoe.) (lol)

What about Space 1999, Team America, Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors(think I spelled it right), Voltron, Robotech, Sgt. Rock, Eagle Force, Flash Gordon, Rock Lords, Zoids, or Adventure People, the figs kinda sucked, but they had cool vehicles and accessories.

I have a fairly good basic collection of MASK figures and toys - (I actually got about 8 masks that were in a HISS cockpit I bought as part of a lot - I bet some kid put them in there for safe keeping and then they never got taken out or looked at - it worked, they made it all the way to me safely. ;) )

I would really like to collect Silverhawks and Thundercats, but I don't have the space nor the patience to start the hunt for them. If I were to stumble across a sizable lot of either for a fair price I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

The Go-bots I remember as a kid would be fun too, I suppose, but much lower on the list of things I'd look for.

Ah, nostalgia.

does anyone remember Dino-Riders. I would love to find some of those. Also I still have the Rambo cartoon on tape. It's dominant

I love non-mainstream 80's toys, I have boxed/carded and loose MASK, Bravestarr, Inhumaniods, Captain Power in addiation to the more familiar stuff, what I really want is the A-Team stuff, especially the van, as well as Sectuars.

I remember my pic-n-save's were chock full of Dukes of Hazzard, Rambo, and others back then.