MARVEL LEGENDS vs. DCUC

pooda

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Marvel fan first and foremost, but right now DCU is hitting.

Hasbro basically went away a little from what ML's great so we suffered a lot and Mattel is filling in the gaps.

Any day, all day, give me Marvel, but I am glad I now own Deathstroke, Grundy, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Cyborg, Black Manta, & Killer Moth.

It is almost as if each company gives the other a shot at greatness. Last year for the summer, we got nothing from Hasbro and so LCBH was the new hotness.

Now that ML's have slowed down to a near stop, DCU is taking over.

Now if only DC's BAF's/C&C's were larger (the up-coming Atom Smasher & Giganta should be way bigger) then they might be able to really steal some glory from Marvel

I'm a real Marvel Legends fan to be certain, but DCUC is the overall better line right now. I'd like more base bodies from DCUC so that such a large percentage of the figures aren't the same size. Yes, I'm a big Marvel Legends fan but compare Adam Warlock and Namor to Adam Strange and Deathstroke. Ouch. The Marvel Legends vs. DC Universe Classic title fight may end in a "referee stoppage". At NYCC Hasbro showed the 4 inch peewee figures. Mattel showed Black Adam, Giganta, Chemo and more. Can you say "Beatdown"?

I'm a real Marvel Legends fan to be certain, but DCUC is the overall better line right now. I'd like more base bodies from DCUC so that such a large percentage of the figures aren't the same size. Yes, I'm a big Marvel Legends fan but compare Adam Warlock and Namor to Adam Strange and Deathstroke. Ouch. The Marvel Legends vs. DC Universe Classic title fight may end in a "referee stoppage". At NYCC Hasbro showed the 4 inch peewee figures. Mattel showed Black Adam, Giganta, Chemo and more. Can you say "Beatdown"?

agree ...

I'm a real Marvel Legends fan to be certain, but DCUC is the overall better line right now. I'd like more base bodies from DCUC so that such a large percentage of the figures aren't the same size.

agree ...

i dont agree with prime's statement. most of the DC characters are built the same in the comics. batman, superman, hawkman, cap. marvel(shazam) orion, and ect...are all pretty much drawn the same size in height and muscle scale. nightwing, mr.miracle, and other characters that are their build get drawn the same. i agree that the reuse of bodies is a cheap move, but helps the figs look very comic accurate.

I'm a real Marvel Legends fan to be certain, but DCUC is the overall better line right now. I'd like more base bodies from DCUC so that such a large percentage of the figures aren't the same size.

agree ...

i dont agree with prime's statement. most of the DC characters are built the same in the comics. batman, superman, hawkman, cap. marvel(shazam) orion, and ect...are all pretty much drawn the same size in height and muscle scale. nightwing, mr.miracle, and other characters that are their build get drawn the same. i agree that the reuse of bodies is a cheap move, but helps the figs look very comic accurate.

I agree with pooda. I like the way that Mattel does their figures. I think that the standardized body style that DCU uses helps to maintain a nice consistency with their figures, and keeps them all in the same scale so that the whole line looks good together. In fact I wish Hasbro would adopt some kind of standard for their figures, so that they might avoid another "Tarantula" mishap.

I must admit, I'm really more into the DC Universe 6" figures right now. I have a couple of figures from each wave and I have every figure from wave 1, 3 and 6. In fact, the new long haired Superman has fast become one of my favorite figures I own. And I can't wait to pick up Flash, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold from wave 7.

I even currently have this pic as my computer desktop.

3267985857_f0e5b3403c_o.jpg

Still, I'm definitely a bigger Marvel fan than DC. (Always have been). But I'm not an either or kind of guy. I think you can like both Coke and Pepsi, Star Wars and Star Trek and DC and Marvel. I'm a diehard Spider-Man fan, but DC has some of my favorite characters as well. I used to love the Perez/Wolfman New Teen Titans, John Byrne's Superman, Justice League International by Giffen, Dematteis and Maquire, etc. And I am an absolute fanatic for the Bruce Timm created DC animated shows like Batman, Superman and the Justice League.

Looking at that makes me real frustrated thats what Mattel offered for 2008 and 2009. Hasbro's figs didn't even come close to that amount. I am giving the nod to DCUC right now because it looks like they actually care about collectors as a legit target market. If Hasbro didn't half step the first year with thier products retailers would still want to take Marvel Legends in. But anyway, DCUC is the better line.

Marvel Legends because I always liked Marvel better than DC. But just looking at the DC figures I don't know how anyone can honestly argue they are better than Marvel Legends. The articulation seems like a remnant from the '90's.

I suppose the paint application looks good, but so did the Toybiz Marvel Legends and so have the recent Hasbro offerings. The DC sculpts don't look bad but then neither did all of the ML figures. Yes some have looked bad, but that's because there have been so many.

Plus, and I may be wrong on this, but aren't the DC figures re-using the same mold at a rate far greater than Toybiz and Hasbro have for Marvel?

agree ...

Comic wise, characters like Cyborg are taller than Nightwing. Sinestro is supposed to be taller than Hal Jordan (of course I would know that in particular). Amazo shouldn't be shorter than Lobo and etc. I understand that Mattel is wise for getting the most use out of a great base figure and that is very cost effective. Mattel does unique sculpts here and there like Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac and Demon. You've got to admit that there really needs to be a bigger version of Doomsday.

Marvel Legends because I always liked Marvel better than DC. But just looking at the DC figures I don't know how anyone can honestly argue they are better than Marvel Legends. The articulation seems like a remnant from the '90's.

I suppose the paint application looks good, but so did the Toybiz Marvel Legends and so have the recent Hasbro offerings. The DC sculpts don't look bad but then neither did all of the ML figures. Yes some have looked bad, but that's because there have been so many.

Plus, and I may be wrong on this, but aren't the DC figures re-using the same mold at a rate far greater than Toybiz and Hasbro have for Marvel?

no 90's toy that i know of had articulation like a dcuc figure, and we've pretty much established that dcuc only uses 3-4 body molds. true, theyre not as articulated as MLs are, but they arent over articulated to the point that it ruins the sculpt of the figure either.

agree ...

Comic wise, characters like Cyborg are taller than Nightwing. Sinestro is supposed to be taller than Hal Jordan (of course I would know that in particular). Amazo shouldn't be shorter than Lobo and etc. I understand that Mattel is wise for getting the most use out of a great base figure and that is very cost effective. Mattel does unique sculpts here and there like Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac and Demon. You've got to admit that there really needs to be a bigger version of Doomsday.

thats not exactly true. i can show you many versions of every character that you named drawn differently than you described them. ive seen sin shorter than hal, and ive seen cyborg and nightwing drawn the same size. ive seen amazo the same size as superman, and ive also seen lobo big enough to tower over superman. mattel just trys to use the molds that they have without having to create new ones. true, lobo could've been smaller, but seeing that he has been drawn big, they just skimped out and use despero's body for him. we do need a bigger doomsday!

agree ...

thats not exactly true. i can show you many versions of every character that you named drawn differently than you described them. ive seen sin shorter than hal, and ive seen cyborg and nightwing drawn the same size. ive seen amazo the same size as superman, and ive also seen lobo big enough to tower over superman. mattel just trys to use the molds that they have without having to create new ones. true, lobo could've been smaller, but seeing that he has been drawn big, they just skimped out and use despero's body for him. we do need a bigger doomsday!

I need to see this Sinestro shorter than Hal example.

agree ...

199px-Emerald_dawn_II.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

no 90's toy that i know of had articulation like a dcuc figure, and we've pretty much established that dcuc only uses 3-4 body molds. true, theyre not as articulated as MLs are, but they arent over articulated to the point that it ruins the sculpt of the figure either.

Yeah, I replied before I read the thread because I wanted to justify my vote. I don't dislike them because they reuse them. I've actually considered buying them at one point but had to say no because I couldn't get involved in another massive line of toys, and I never followed DC that much.

I would say that goofy hip-joint is pretty old-school. And come on, single-joint elbows and knees? Isn't that why we hate on Hasbro so much?

I admit that they look good but as someone else mentioned they just stand there; not very dynamic action figures.

I'm not applying this to you directly, but I think a lot of people have latched onto the DC figures just to spite Hasbro. Maybe on a deep level, kind of a, "If you're going to ruin ML, I'm going to support your rival!" Which is perfectly fine and rational. That's the way of a free-market economy. But I don't think you can stand the best ML next to the best DC and say the DC is better.

***WARNING: THE ABOVE COMMENTS ARE THE SOLE OPINION OF THE AUTHOR AND SHOULD IN NO WAY CAUSE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MELT YOUR BRAIN IF YOU LIKE DCUC!***

Yeah, I replied before I read the thread because I wanted to justify my vote. I don't dislike them because they reuse them. I've actually considered buying them at one point but had to say no because I couldn't get involved in another massive line of toys, and I never followed DC that much.

I would say that goofy hip-joint is pretty old-school. And come on, single-joint elbows and knees? Isn't that why we hate on Hasbro so much?

I admit that they look good but as someone else mentioned they just stand there; not very dynamic action figures.

I'm not applying this to you directly, but I think a lot of people have latched onto the DC figures just to spite Hasbro. Maybe on a deep level, kind of a, "If you're going to ruin ML, I'm going to support your rival!" Which is perfectly fine and rational. That's the way of a free-market economy. But I don't think you can stand the best ML next to the best DC and say the DC is better.

***WARNING: THE ABOVE COMMENTS ARE THE SOLE OPINION OF THE AUTHOR AND SHOULD IN NO WAY CAUSE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MELT YOUR BRAIN IF YOU LIKE DCUC!***

yeah...that cant be ment for me. ive been collecting these since they were dcsh. thats when TB made legends. as far as the best ml...what would that be? i like ml, but 80% of them have something seriously off about them. as far as the hip joint goes, c'mon....like ball joints look any better.

I like 'em both. I've been buying DCUC about as religiously as I used to buy MLs (Albeit with more difficulty due to lousy distribution).

Truth be told, I prefer DCUCs Hip articulation. I also admire them for providing very functional and "playable" articulation, but not adding articulation just for the sake of articulation, or marring the look of the figures with extra joints.

But I like the Marvel universe and characters more.

agree ...

199px-Emerald_dawn_II.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like the DCUC figure but Sinestro according to DC comics is 6 foot Seven inches tall while Hal is 6 foot even. Artists have been known to put their own 2 cents in but DC is always picky with me when I work on their characters. Look at how tall Marvel artists draw the Thing (Ben) yet he's supposed to be only 6 feet tall.

All in all, I agree with you that most superheroes are roughly a similar height and DCUC figures reflect that as best as they can. When I did the sculpt input/turnarounds for Vigilante, DC was extremely picky but not so much on the Amazo or Dr. Impossible.

As a whole Marvel Legends beats DCU Classics, no doubt. I mean since it's inception, ML has had like 25 waves all-in-all (and that's not even counting Spider-Man, X-Men and FF Classics), whereas DCUC is only up to series 7 (not counting the previous Batman/Superman DC Superheroes waves).

Now, no one can really argue the fact that overall Marvel Legends is the king of 6" action figures. But lately DCUC has been kicking MLs butt, big time.

DCUC has released 7 series of figures in about a year! Plus they've only done one Batman and one Superman (with variant) in that time. ML would have done like 6 Wolverine's, 4 Iron Man's and 3 Hulk's by now. I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with the line-up in the first 2 waves of DCUC, but by the 3rd series I was starting to take notice. They've done some excellent and surprising stuff of late. They are releasing top tier characters like Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, etc. right along with some pretty obscure ones like Metamorpho, Red Tornado, Mr. Miracle and Killer Moth!!! With more to come like Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Commander Steel, Gentleman Ghost, The Vigilante.

Don't get me wrong, I am a diehard Marvel Legends Maniac through and through, but I have to admit that DCUC is a great action figure line as well. And I don't see why people wouldn't collect both, unless you have absolutely no interest in the characters of one or the other.

On a side note, I think the DCUC figs have plenty of articulation. No, they're not quite as poseable as Legends, but they get the job done.

Here's something I posted in the past that I think fits in this case...

3039846640_d78c9293e0_o.jpg

ok so firstoff let say as of right now I feel DCUC are was better I mean I read both marvel and dc but marvel really needs to put out more B and C list guys like DCUC has bee doing at first I wasnt too in to DCUC I may get 1 or 2 but now I want them more then ML.

I mean look at the latest lines as ML brings you the 5th beast DCUC brings us the flash!

And even tho I have never missed a baf for ML's I may miss this one just because since hasbros took over the only baf that I really like was the red hulk (rulk) and now they are on this kick of 3 3/4 that has ppl I wish were done in ML like spider-man and his amazing friends. also ML needs to kick it up we stll dont have a modren Luke Cage and he had been like this for years and part of the last bid evets. so in other words DCUC has won me over.