ML 3 3/4" Figures at SDCC?

MarvelMovieFan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt you read the Q&A??? they dont have plans for them.

..I don't believe them. I can remember a few GI Joe and Star Wars announcements that Hasbro denied up till the day of the announcements. I think that they are going to follow Mattel's (DC Super Heroes) lead in issuing a cheaper 3 3/4" Marvel Super Hero line. It only makes sense... They can also support it with play sets, vehicles and the like (how about a F4 car or Avengers Jet?). Can you see the box sets that they could do! Just look at some of the incredible stuff they are doing with SW and GI Joe. For a price of 2 ML you couldget a whole team!

...do you think we might get a glimpse of what Hasbro has planned for this rumored line at SDCC?

i am not a fan of this size because i dont think marvel has so many know ships as star wars. so for me it would be pointless but if there are some spideys involved then i hope we see some pics. if the line exists.

Spider-man probable would be the natural beginning for just such a line. He is the face of Marvel and almost always sells well.

SDCC would be the time and place to make it public. They couldn't be any worse than the Showdown figures.

I had high hopes for the Showdown figures when I first heard about them.... Once I saw how bad they were made it just turned me off! Great idea just poorly executed.

Hasbro is the king of the 3 3/4" scale... If anyone can make a decent Marvel line it will be them.

i have no interest in this unless they do some thing like ant-man, wasp or yellowjacket and such so i could put in in my 6 inch line and they'd be in scale.

I think that the ML will be aimed at adult collectors and the 3 3/4" aimed at kids. I don't know how a kid can afford a ML now. Way to much money! Can not believe how much they (ML) have gone up in price over the last 3 years.

About a Ant-Man and Wasp... I think the ML versions are pretty good already.

You may want to re-read that answer. They did not say they have "no plans" they said they have "no news."

That's a huge difference, and the dividing line between an actual "denial" and a "we're neither confirming or denying." It's exactly the kind of answer Hasbro gives when they are planning something but they don't want to reveal it yet.

In other words, like many of their carefully-worded and/or misleading answers in Q&A's for other lines (particularly Star Wars), it sounds a whole lot like "We have no news...until we decide we want to have news."

Hasbro is the king of the 3 3/4" scale... If anyone can make a decent Marvel line it will be them.

So true. Between GI Joe, Starwars and Indianna Jones they have a claim to the throne. However, that upstart company Mattel is knocking on the door. I'm not a DC guy but the DCU line has collectors and fan boys a buzz with anticipation (dag gum distribution issues) and they have their own 3 3/4 inch line that is ripe with possibilities. I just cannot see hasbro letting Mattel have that potential niche market all to themselves.

So true. Between GI Joe, Starwars and Indianna Jones they have a claim to the throne. However, that upstart company Mattel is knocking on the door. I'm not a DC guy but the DCU line has collectors and fan boys a buzz with anticipation (dag gum distribution issues) and they have their own 3 3/4 inch line that is ripe with possibilities. I just cannot see hasbro letting Mattel have that potential niche market all to themselves.

Yeah, but sadly the first wave(s) of Mattel's 3 3/4" line look like badly painted, underarticulated doo doo. Hasbro probably took one look at them and said "We don't even need to put out a competitive product...that stuff's so crappy no one's going to buy it anyhow." (I kid, but still...Hasbro probably find the effort all-but-laughable, even for a company that doesn't normally make 3 3/4" figures.

Yeah, but sadly the first wave(s) of Mattel's 3 3/4" line look like badly painted, underarticulated doo doo. Hasbro probably took one look at them and said "We don't even need to put out a competitive product...that stuff's so crappy no one's going to buy it anyhow." (I kid, but still...Hasbro probably find the effort all-but-laughable, even for a company that doesn't normally make 3 3/4" figures.

...I could see a really cool Hasbro 3 3/4" line that blows away Mattel. The JLA Animated line is nothing great but still sells well enough (to kids and adults).

You may want to re-read that answer. They did not say they have "no plans" they said they have "no news."

That's a huge difference, and the dividing line between an actual "denial" and a "we're neither confirming or denying." It's exactly the kind of answer Hasbro gives when they are planning something but they don't want to reveal it yet.

In other words, like many of their carefully-worded and/or misleading answers in Q&A's for other lines (particularly Star Wars), it sounds a whole lot like "We have no news...until we decide we want to have news."

I think that it would make great sense for Hasbro. With the cost of oil (needed for plastic) and the sky high price point for ML (has to be loseing sales for them) it is a no brainer. Also, a new Marvel 3 3/4" line will be a great starting point for new collectors. I have a few friends who feel that ML is just to big (and old) of a line to collect. That want to get into something that is new and fresh.

my only concern with a 3 3/4 line is how much of it will be retreaded GI Joe and Star Wars stuff adjusted to pass for marvel product? not the figures themselves, but the vehicles and playsets.

I think that's very unlikely, particularly with Star Wars vehicles. Those things are just too recognizable and "iconic" to try to push as anything other than what they are. G.I. Joe vehicles tend to be too military in flavor to match the Marvel "vibe." Plus the way Hasbro re-releases stuff, they couldn't retool them to look even slightly different without having to re-do the molds to make the original version again somewhere down the line.

Now playsets I could easily see getting retooled. The only thing is that they haven't made many/any playsets in the last few years for either line, much less those that would be particularly suitable for Marvel-themed playsets. ;)

Truth be told, once you get outside the Fantasticar, Quinjet, Ghost Rider's motorcycle, Punisher's van, and the Blackbird/X-Jet there aren't really many iconic vehicles in Marvel. Maybe the SHIELD Flying Car, but there ain't much else.

Not for those of us that will eat it up.

Of which I am not. Hasblow doesn't need more of my money, especially when this is an entirely new line that doesn't match the line I’ve been collecting for years. It’s entirely unnecessary in my opinion. I don’t have any more cash to throw away…and Hasblow’s emphasis on modern over classic costumes annoys the hell out of me.