Hasbro Lies...

JohnnyRebelV2

do you know of any retailers that stop ordering the line? it didnt seem this was a problem until HML 1. the modok and mojo series moved pretty well(solwer than previous waves), and most of the people i talk to at stores say that since hasbro took over, the MLs just sit on pegs. they also added that they dont order new MLs until the old ones are gone.....theyre still there. hasbro is one of many with a marvel license....like i said...pass the ball.

How thick-headed are you? HASBRO WON'T "PASS THE BALL." Marvel doesn't even want them to "pass the ball" and there's not a single damn company out there beyond Marvel Select (who's still making figures, BTW) that makes Marvel action figures remotely close to ML scale. Nor could they without Hasbro suing the pants off of them.

"Passing the ball" isn't as simple as you think it is, and it'd be an idiotic move on Hasbro's part anyhow. Why are you going to empower a potential competitor? Just so a relatively tiny group of collectors stops *****ing on the message boards?

You don't have to like the situation we've found ourselves in, but for god's sake try to have a shred of common sense about all this. Business doesn't stop being business just because a few people in the internet are upset. Not even for your precious Marvel Legends.

watch your mouth,..1st of all. dont forget that im a grown man. if you are too, then act like it. 2nd. im on a toy board with a bunch of collectors...what do you think im going to do! i know the biz....i just dont give a ****! this isnt the business forum....my cares are only for the product. you act as if im talking to hasbro directly....im stating how I feel too collectors like myself. youre the one that feels like you have to explain the stocks and bonds....dont get "not caring" confused with "not understanding" and i think that the tiny group you speak of, is alot bigger than you think.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watch your mouth,..1st of all. dont forget that im a grown man. if you are too, then act like it. 2nd. im on a toy board with a bunch of collectors...what do you think im going to do! i know the biz....i just dont give a ****! this isnt the business forum....my cares are only for the product. you act as if im talking to hasbro directly....im stating how I feel too collectors like myself. youre the one that feels like you have to explain the stocks and bonds....dont get "not caring" confused with "not understanding" and i think that the tiny group you speak of, is alot bigger than you think.

I think it's about exactly as big as I think. Take every user that regularly posts here, now narrow it down to the five to ten of you that keep harping on the same thing over and over and over again, now add in the folks regularly posting on other similar websites, but take away the folks that are the same five to ten people posting on multiple boards (whether under different names or not).

I'm betting you're going to come up with less than 100 people consistently whining about Hasbro's Marvel Legends. Even 1000 would be relatively tiny compared to the overall toy-buying population.

Look, don't take this the wrong way. Hasbro's Marvel Legends were flawed, and Hasbro's not some perfect company, but all this continual complaining about things that A: Cannot and B: Will not be changed is pointless. All it serves to do is keep people bitter, and make folks look like they can't accept the realities of the situation.

Plus, it may all be crying over milk that hasn't even been spilled yet. There are still 2-packs, there are still exclusives (annoying as they are to get ahold of), and Hasbro says they're still trying to find ways to make the 6" Marvel line work. It's not dead yet, in other words, it's just "sick" and/or "wounded."

I know people like to assume the worst about Hasbro around here, but genuine evidence and experience tells us that if Hasbro says they're trying to find ways of making the 6" Marvel line work, they're almost certainly telling the truth. Say what you will about the figures themselves, but Hasbro tries like hell to get their toys out there in some form or another. It's very rare that they completely give up on a line, and even when they appear to, they usually bring it back in anywhere from 1-5 years.

well....if they didnt want the license...why take it.

They didn't get the license for ML. They got the license for Marvel. It just so happened that the Marvel license came with a bunch of rabid fans of one toyline who consider that line to be the be-all end-all of Marvel toys.

collectors buying "something" is whats wrong.....why settle?

I'm not saying collectors will settle. I'm saying that collectors rarely have only one obsession in the toy aisle, and losing one simply means they put more time, effort, and money into the others. Hasbro has most of the 'big guns', so most collectors will be giving Hasbro their money one way or another.

alot of kids didnt EVER buy MLs......hell...they dont even buy the spidey crap out now. if they were only concerned with what kids buy, then they should of done their homework on who was buying these things!

They did. They saw that kids love superheroes, and that very little of the Marvel stuff being offered was directed at them, and even less of it was good (Superhero Showdown is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind). Hasbro said they could do better, they stepped up to the plate, and they made it happen. Do I like that they made it happen at the expense of the collectors? No, not at all. But, in my area at least, Iron Man is a steady seller, Spectacular Spider-Man cannot stay on the shelf, and I have yet to go to Wal-Mart and NOT see at least one kid bugging the parents to buy Superhero Squad. There simply aren't enough collectors in my area to support the sales that I see, which means a good portion of this HAS to be the kids.

as a matter of fact.....kids arent buying the indy, star wars, or joe figs....

We could go back and forth on that one all day. At the very least, I would wonder how many adults you see buying them are actually buying them for the young'ens because "I loved this when I was a kid." Selling a name that parents recognize and trust is just as important these days as selling to the kids themselves. I think it's a safe bet that Hasbro is counting on that sort of thing just as much as the actual kids.

1st hasbro says that they will raise the price(no one wanted to accept it) then they say that theyre cutting the 6" figs out....i bet if we accept MLs going for 15.00, theyll keep making them.

Sure... you'd just have to get the fans to stop complaining about paying $10 long enough to insert a 50% hike. Then you'd have to wade through all the complaints about 'paying more to get less' and get the fans to actually go and buy the stuff.

I hate to be 'that guy', but if you really take a step back, the loss of 6" figures really has as much to do with collectors whining about EVERYTHING, even when there was nothing to whine about, as it does with Hasbro and whatever they actually did wrong.

the modok and mojo series moved pretty well(solwer than previous waves),

I barely even SAW those waves (still need a Moon Knight, in fact). The complaints I heard around here were of a similar nature. I don't think it's that they moved that well, I think it's that there wasn't a lot out there.

and most of the people i talk to at stores say that since hasbro took over, the MLs just sit on pegs. they also added that they dont order new MLs until the old ones are gone.....theyre still there.

I can still find Longshot and Spider-Man 2 on the pegs at the local K-Mart. Every store I've been to recently has nothing but Red Tornado for DCUC. It happens with every toyline at one point or another. The 'leftovers must sell first' concept of stocking pretty much ensures it.

hasbro is one of many with a marvel license....like i said...pass the ball.

Problem is, all the other companies with Marvel licenses have VERY specific limitations as to what they can and can't do. One of the major ones is that they can't produce a mass-market action figure line. This is the #1 reason Minimates are not in Wal-Mart. I don't think that Marvel Lengends would work as a direct market line. The price would assuredly go up, and the lack of availability at retail would keep many collectors away.

But, I'll also admit that I'd like to see someone try anyway.

well....if they didnt want the license...why take it.

They didn't get the license for ML. They got the license for Marvel. It just so happened that the Marvel license came with a bunch of rabid fans of one toyline who consider that line to be the be-all end-all of Marvel toys.

collectors buying "something" is whats wrong.....why settle?

I'm not saying collectors will settle. I'm saying that collectors rarely have only one obsession in the toy aisle, and losing one simply means they put more time, effort, and money into the others. Hasbro has most of the 'big guns', so most collectors will be giving Hasbro their money one way or another.

alot of kids didnt EVER buy MLs......hell...they dont even buy the spidey crap out now. if they were only concerned with what kids buy, then they should of done their homework on who was buying these things!

They did. They saw that kids love superheroes, and that very little of the Marvel stuff being offered was directed at them, and even less of it was good (Superhero Showdown is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind). Hasbro said they could do better, they stepped up to the plate, and they made it happen. Do I like that they made it happen at the expense of the collectors? No, not at all. But, in my area at least, Iron Man is a steady seller, Spectacular Spider-Man cannot stay on the shelf, and I have yet to go to Wal-Mart and NOT see at least one kid bugging the parents to buy Superhero Squad. There simply aren't enough collectors in my area to support the sales that I see, which means a good portion of this HAS to be the kids.

as a matter of fact.....kids arent buying the indy, star wars, or joe figs....

We could go back and forth on that one all day. At the very least, I would wonder how many adults you see buying them are actually buying them for the young'ens because "I loved this when I was a kid." Selling a name that parents recognize and trust is just as important these days as selling to the kids themselves. I think it's a safe bet that Hasbro is counting on that sort of thing just as much as the actual kids.

1st hasbro says that they will raise the price(no one wanted to accept it) then they say that theyre cutting the 6" figs out....i bet if we accept MLs going for 15.00, theyll keep making them.

Sure... you'd just have to get the fans to stop complaining about paying $10 long enough to insert a 50% hike. Then you'd have to wade through all the complaints about 'paying more to get less' and get the fans to actually go and buy the stuff.

I hate to be 'that guy', but if you really take a step back, the loss of 6" figures really has as much to do with collectors whining about EVERYTHING, even when there was nothing to whine about, as it does with Hasbro and whatever they actually did wrong.

the modok and mojo series moved pretty well(solwer than previous waves),

I barely even SAW those waves (still need a Moon Knight, in fact). The complaints I heard around here were of a similar nature. I don't think it's that they moved that well, I think it's that there wasn't a lot out there.

and most of the people i talk to at stores say that since hasbro took over, the MLs just sit on pegs. they also added that they dont order new MLs until the old ones are gone.....theyre still there.

I can still find Longshot and Spider-Man 2 on the pegs at the local K-Mart. Every store I've been to recently has nothing but Red Tornado for DCUC. It happens with every toyline at one point or another. The 'leftovers must sell first' concept of stocking pretty much ensures it.

hasbro is one of many with a marvel license....like i said...pass the ball.

Problem is, all the other companies with Marvel licenses have VERY specific limitations as to what they can and can't do. One of the major ones is that they can't produce a mass-market action figure line. This is the #1 reason Minimates are not in Wal-Mart. I don't think that Marvel Lengends would work as a direct market line. The price would assuredly go up, and the lack of availability at retail would keep many collectors away.

But, I'll also admit that I'd like to see someone try anyway.

i can dig it. cant believe you need a MK. should of said something about 2 weeks ago....could of gave you the reg and the variant for cost.

Maybe Marvel can take the license back and produce their own Legends like they are doing with the movies. Wasn't that what ToyBiz was? Anyway, then they get all the money and don't have to ask permission to make any figure and they can sell them in the movie theaters and package them with comics and tie into every facet of the marketing or Marvel.

GEEK

Maybe Marvel can take the license back and produce their own Legends like they are doing with the movies. Wasn't that what ToyBiz was? Anyway, then they get all the money and don't have to ask permission to make any figure and they can sell them in the movie theaters and package them with comics and tie into every facet of the marketing or Marvel.

GEEK

Marvel can't take the license back until it expires, unless Hasbro performs some massive breach of contract (unlikely). Marvel also won't take the license back, because they no longer have a "mass retail" toy producing section. They shut down Marvel Toys/Toy Biz...specifically so they wouldn't compete with Hasbro.

I dunno how many times this has to be repeated before people get it: Marvel gave Hasbro the license for a reason, and I guarantee Hasbro isn't doing anything with the license without consulting Marvel to some extent or another. Marvel wanted to use Hasbro's manufacturing and marketing capabilities to sell Marvel products on a larger scale than Toy Biz ever could have dreamed of.

Marvel likely doesn't care what size Hasbro's figures are. They only care that toys with the Marvel brand attached to them are in stores. As long as that's happening, Hasbro's holding up its' end of the deal. I guarantee there's nothing in Hasbro's contract with Marvel that forces Hasbro to make any specific product, just "Marvel Comics" toys in general.