Does MU 3 3/4" figures spell the end of 6" ML?

MarvelMovieFan

...with Hasbro announcing recently that they have to raise prices on their action figures (because of the cost of oil/plastic) and with the announcement of the new MU line (can't believe over 35 figures for the first half of 2009 alone!) does this mean the end of ML? From a corporate stand point I wonder if the bean counters at Hasbro have figured out that they can make more money with MU then ML (I wonder how much King Hulk cost to make?). I for one will continue to support ML till the bitter end but this new line looks good!

Plus I picked this up at the news section...

<Hasbro is also considering larger figures in the 3 3/4 scale, like Sentinels and Galactus>>

How freaking cool would a true scale Sentinel be!!!

Of course it doesn't spell the end for the true Legends line, still be getting more two packs next year and what ever 6 inch stuff they/retailers want, and i'm pretty sure with IM's line doing good retailers will want lines for Thor and Wolvy and maybe even the X-Men since that toon is coming out next year.

I actually think the bigger question is will the 3 3/4 line actually make it? sure SW Joes and now Indiana Jones are 3 3/4 but will those people and marvel collectors truly support this line? will the kiddies? Have to wait and see. I myself probably won't get any of the 3 3/4 marvel stuff, i just can't start a new scale for thoses, heck only i'll get a Luke or Stromtrooper or something from SW every now and then but Joes are the only 3 3/4 i care about really, other wise its TFs and 6 inch scaled figures for me.

Judging from some of the reactions I've seen at other boards, collectors of Star Wars and G.I. Joe (especially G.I. Joe) appear to be very excited about this line.

Good 3 3/4" Marvel figures should have no problem selling. These look about 2000 percent better than the craptastic Superhero Showdown and about 1000 percent better than the DC Infinite Heroes.

Judging from some of the reactions I've seen at other boards, collectors of Star Wars and G.I. Joe (especially G.I. Joe) appear to be very excited about this line.

Good 3 3/4" Marvel figures should have no problem selling. These look about 2000 percent better than the craptastic Superhero Showdown and about 1000 percent better than the DC Infinite Heroes.

no....theyre 2000 percent better than the DC infinite heroes too

I really don't believe they will stop ml for the 3 3/4 stuff,they might slow down a bit but not stop it altogether. I don't think 3 3/4 will work very well for the simple reason that collectors won't want to start a whole new collection and invest all the time and money. I think the only interest shown for this will be from the kiddies.

Ml will eventually come to an end,i mean look at all the characters that have been made, they will run out of characters eventually unless they keep rereleasing the same characters. This is i think the only way it could stop,not because of 3 3/4.

The only thing I can think is that if u look at all the other slide presentations hasbro did for the other major lines, They all had a 2009 preview. Granted theirs A FEW things that might OVERLAP into next year, They did not have a section of the presentation that specifically said NEW FOR 2009 or something to that exent for the 6 in line the way they did for other lines. Compound that with the fact we got an indirect answer if the line was ending with more #$@# about "Distribution problems". I'm sure alot of us know what an indirect answer like that is the beginning of. Next time it'll be "Still hammering out distribution, But we have alot of big things PLANNED". Next time we ask we get "A New shipping schedule is being developed". Next time you get no answer of any type. 6 months later we ask one more time and are finally told (only AFTER whatever ever line that took it's place has taken off as a success) "The 6 inch line was canceled some time ago due to distribution problems that could not be worked out with retailers". I've scene it happen dozens of time with dozens of line. Will we still get the annual summer 6 inch line? Probably. And exclusive line or repaints once a year or so? More than likely. Spider-Man classics repaints up the ass? I would think so. But I really don't think were getting any more standard "Marvel Legends" waves. We just saw half a years worth of 3.75 figures. Thats WAY THE #$## more figures then i've ever scene in any "sub-line" of a franchise. The 3.75 by numbers alone are the NEW main line. It's almost as many as Star Wars puts out. And marvel's basic line dosent get half the space star wars does. Theirs simply no logic in thinking theirs going to be a steady 6 inch line taking up just as much space if not more due to card size next to it. Basicly what i'm getting at is that IF ML stays around it's nolonger the MAIN line. And i really don't see it becoming the sub line. I don't want it to end either but that IS whats happening. As for weather or not collectors will be willing to start a new collection because of scale? Just go ask wrestling collectors and jakks pacific. They changed molds/scale to some extenet 5 times durring the corse of their line. Each time sales went up untill they became the #2 line for several years in a row.

I really don't believe they will stop ml for the 3 3/4 stuff,they might slow down a bit but not stop it altogether. I don't think 3 3/4 will work very well for the simple reason that collectors won't want to start a whole new collection and invest all the time and money. I think the only interest shown for this will be from the kiddies.

Ml will eventually come to an end,i mean look at all the characters that have been made, they will run out of characters eventually unless they keep rereleasing the same characters. This is i think the only way it could stop,not because of 3 3/4.

*See Bolded Portion Alone*

That's exactly what Hasbro wants. Not that they don't want collectors to get into it too (and a lot of them will), but Kid business is still far more important to Hasbro than Collector business, which is likely one of the fundamental reasons that the 6" legends are starting to be downplayed vs the new 3.75 inch line. Hasbro "inherited" a line that was basically only being bought by adult collectors. Hasbro doesn't like those lines...they want kids buying their stuff. Since they didn't seem able to win the kiddies over with their 6" figures, they're trying something new.

Personally, I think the lines is going to be a huge success. A lot of kids will love the idea of mixing their Joes, their Indiana Jones, their Star Wars, and Marvel figures altogether (and maybe DC too if they like Infinite Heroes). A lot of parents will like the idea, too. Lastly, plenty of collectors will be won over. The griping we're hearing now will largely dry up and disappear when the figures actually start hitting. Particularly if it turns out 6" figures are still going to be available through certain outlets.

Of course it doesn't spell the end for the true Legends line, still be getting more two packs next year and what ever 6 inch stuff they/retailers want, and i'm pretty sure with IM's line doing good retailers will want lines for Thor and Wolvy and maybe even the X-Men since that toon is coming out next year.

I actually think the bigger question is will the 3 3/4 line actually make it? sure SW Joes and now Indiana Jones are 3 3/4 but will those people and marvel collectors truly support this line? will the kiddies? Have to wait and see. I myself probably won't get any of the 3 3/4 marvel stuff, i just can't start a new scale for thoses, heck only i'll get a Luke or Stromtrooper or something from SW every now and then but Joes are the only 3 3/4 i care about really, other wise its TFs and 6 inch scaled figures for me.

I can see Walmart really pushing for this line.. They are one of the biggest buyers of GI Joe and I can see them doing the same with MU.

We just saw half a years worth of 3.75 figures. Thats WAY THE #$## more figures then i've ever scene in any "sub-line" of a franchise. The 3.75 by numbers alone are the NEW main line.

I can see at least 75 to 100 figures (single, multi packs, exclusives, repiants, etc) by Christmas 2009 alone. This is the deal!!!

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how the 3.75" figures look. If I was a new Marvel collector I would totally start now, but I'm not. I've bought MLs from the very beginning and can't see myself starting a whole new line at a different scale. I'll probably give in and buy some here and there, hopefully keeping my collector habits in check. If the DC 3.75" line had actually been good, it would be a lot tougher to say no to the Marvel line. So now, I'll just concentrate on DCUC and pick up whatever random MLs we still might be getting.

That's exactly what Hasbro wants. Not that they don't want collectors to get into it too (and a lot of them will), but Kid business is still far more important to Hasbro than Collector business, which is likely one of the fundamental reasons that the 6" legends are starting to be downplayed vs the new 3.75 inch line. Hasbro "inherited" a line that was basically only being bought by adult collectors. Hasbro doesn't like those lines...they want kids buying their stuff. Since they didn't seem able to win the kiddies over with their 6" figures, they're trying something new.

Well what you say makes sense but in that case hasbro is really stupid. The collectors spend way more money on figs than the parents do for the kiddies.Seems too me logic says you would want too please your biggest buyers before the kiddie market,but then again nobody ever accused hasbro of beeing the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

Let the kids have they transformers crossovers crap and let us keep the ml !!!!

Well what you say makes sense but in that case hasbro is really stupid. The collectors spend way more money on figs than the parents do for the kiddies.Seems too me logic says you would want too please your biggest buyers before the kiddie market,but then again nobody ever accused hasbro of beeing the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

Let the kids have they transformers crossovers crap and let us keep the ml !!!!

Sadly, no matter what we think, kids/their parents are the biggest buyers of toys, never let that be forgotten.

I was at this panel and sad as it is to say, Hasbro seemed to have no interest in ML. In fact I would dare say that since they took over, they have been looking forward to this line failing. Don't believe me? Check these BS facts:

1) Complained about prices overseas to manufacture. We don't hear this BS from their competition, Mattel

2) Cut paint apps and washes. Again Mattel can do this, why can't Hasbro?

3) Really have expressed little interest in how long we have been asking for certain characters. While Mattel says specifically that they know DCUC is for collectors and they want to know what we want made.

4) Say they have to raise money on the retail end to offset those costs in line 1. Yea again Mattel can bring out the same size product with just as much plastic and keep the price at under 11 bucks. Hasbro, supplier of the TOP toy lines, can't. Smells fishy.

5) Tell us they can't do BAF cuz of the cost, no more bases cuz of costs, have to keep the line smaller for production. What about Mattel you ask? They WANT to make bigger BAF and have their first 9" BAF coming out. INCREASED the line ups from 5 figures to 7 AND have added a base to the A lister involved with each lineup and BAF pieces for the rest. In addition to doing 2 packs, waves, and exclusives!

6) Hasbro WANTS us to buy in to this 3 3/4 BS line. It didn't do very well with Toybiz, why should it do well for them? They are trying to sell us on cross products and vehicles, diorams. Specifically they mentined "go buy your Indiana Jones Dioramas and get them ready for this new Marvel Universe line.

The Hasbro people had no concept of what we wanted. When they showcased the Marvel/Transformer line up, people laughed and didn't make any of those cool sounds. These guys on the panel looked at each other and said "well, after all this line is aimed at kids" as they expected us to not like it, but kids would love it. they were so out of touch. Then they tried to convince us that we wanted this 3 3/4 and they were fans of comics and stuff. I felt really insulted being there listening to this trash. Blah!

Well, maybe Marvel will bring Marvel Toys from the ashes to be a collector type line. Well I have tried to root for Hasbro this long but if there are no more six inch figures after I have spent time and money collecting so many 6 inch figures, I would just drop my hobby. If the company doesn't care about the collectors even though the line was aimed for collectors then why would I want to buy their product if they did not have people like me in mind anyhow?

if this is the end of the 6 inch scale line then my love for collecting marvel figures dies out aswell, i ownt be collecting these smaller scale figures. sorry guys but if so then im out !

plus if they do stop making the 6 inch line that will give me years to try and buy them all that way if they stop will have a finnishing line to work towards.

<Hasbro is also considering larger figures in the 3 3/4 scale, like Sentinels and Galactus>>

How freaking cool would a true scale Sentinel be!!!

Wow!? How freaking shallow that you are falling for the bone they're throwing at ya? They will say anything nowadays just to make you buy them 3 3/4 figures. Plus those were tried before by ToyBiz. I think nothing would beat the Galactus of 2005 or the Sentinel done before, ever !!

My god, where were all you people when the Q&A section was happening in the Hasbro Marvel panel? You could have made this thing wither and die on the vine by asking specific Marvel Legends-centric questions.

I don't understand why you can't have two different scale lines running concurrently. Mattel is doing it. Why do you have to sacrifice one line to promote the other? Shouldn't each line be able to sustain itself? If that wasn't the case, then how can you have Marvel/Transformers? Or any other line except these new minifigs?

I don't understand why you can have comics in Star Wars and GIJoe comic two packs (and now presumably your new minifig line) but not in a Marvel Legend package? That doesn't make sense.

PS Here's a fun little story about comic-con. Armed with my knowledge that the line was indeed ending and 33/4 figures were coming ( this was before the panel) I walked up to some chick (whom I later discovered was part of their marketing team in the Hasbro panel) and said "so this is it, huh? The last of the Marvel Legends? After this its done?" and she got the pissiest look on her face and barked "Who told you that?!?" Not, "oh thats not true, we still have plenty of Legends to make next year..." She was pissed that I knew ther "Top Secret" plans in advance. Ha. Stupid Cow.