ARES BAF wave at a Closer look...

JohnnyRebelV2

So in the new Ares BAF wave we are getting a total of one all new figure: Heroes Reborn Iron Man. Wow that has to be a record. It's no surprise this will be the last BAF wave. With an effort like that why continue? They did do a fairly good job with the repaints I have to admit. This will be the very first BAF I don't complete as I will only be buying the IM and Crossbones figures(and maybe Guardian). So what repaints do we have?:

Vision: Silver Surfer with a new head and cape

Crossbones: Hulking with a vest and new head sculpt(this is their smartest repaint)

Ben Riley: Silver Surfer also

Human Torch: Repaint of MLFF Torch

Kang: uh a slight repaint of... Kang

Ultimate War Machine: A straight repaint of Ultimate Iron Man but with Rhodes head underneath.

Guardian:Captain Marvrel/yellow jacket/nova/etc body with new head

Hasbro really loves the Silver Surfer and Human Torch sculpts from the FFML wave. Too bad because they are both midgets and two of the worst bodies in all of ML. But then there is rarely logic to what Hasbro does so who's to be surprised?

So in the new Ares BAF wave we are getting a total of one all new figure: Heroes Reborn Iron Man. Wow that has to be a record. It's no surprise this will be the last BAF wave. With an effort like that why continue? They did do a fairly good job with the repaints I have to admit. This will be the very first BAF I don't complete as I will only be buying the IM and Crossbones figures(and maybe Guardian). So what repaints do we have?:

Crossbones: Hulking with a vest and new head sculpt(this is their smartest repaint)

Ultimate War Machine: A straight repaint of Ultimate Iron Man but with Rhodes head underneath.

Hasbro really loves the Silver Surfer and Human Torch sculpts from the FFML wave. Too bad because they are both midgets and two of the worst bodies in all of ML. But then there is rarely logic to what Hasbro does so who's to be surprised?

I agree with you with one exception. The Ben Riley was never done in ml, he will be a nice addition. Who cares if they reuse the same body ,its a good way to keep the costs down. I don't like rereleases but i don't mind them using the same body for a different character.

Vision: That's actually a pretty good choice, since he has an appropriate build

Crossbones: To be honest with you, I think your the only one who noticed.

Ben Reilly: See Vision

Human Torch: Duh, it's the same character

Kang: A re-release of a rare figure? Your right, bad idea!

Ultimate War Machine: It works for the design.

Guardian: See Vision.

i dont know about ben reily being surfers body because the stripes seem to be sculpted in and not painted on.

if its not....then it atleast has SS's pelvis. but the sculpts they chose to use wernt bad for the characters that they remade them into, but, i dont think the SS sculpt does spidey of the SS himself any justice.....not enough articulation.

i dont know about ben reily being surfers body because the stripes seem to be sculpted in and not painted on.

if its not....then it atleast has SS's pelvis. but the sculpts they chose to use wernt bad for the characters that they remade them into, but, i dont think the SS sculpt does spidey of the SS himself any justice.....not enough articulation.

i dont know, i realy like the figure. it looks realy amazing. i mean if marvel legends is indeed close to end then i think that the spidey wave will fallow. i rather go out with that figure then the one from the origin line. that was a bad figure.

i dont know, i realy like the figure. it looks realy amazing. i mean if marvel legends is indeed close to end then i think that the spidey wave will fallow. i rather go out with that figure then the one from the origin line. that was a bad figure.

i dont know where you guys are getting this "end" mess? anyway...i think that a spidey fig needs alot of articulation! more than the HML FF Silver Surfer body has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed they are using the Hasbro 6"(Icons scaled down) Silver Surfer for the Vision. As with the Human Torch Icon scale down, they have shrunk him down so far as to not be to proper scale to the other figures in the line. Of course Toy Biz did this too as their Silver Surfer and Vision were also way to short for the characters they represented. SS is 6'4" and the Vision is 6'3". Yet they were two of the smallest figures they made. Some may not care, I realize, but too often the scale plot gets lost:(

So in the new Ares BAF wave we are getting a total of one all new figure: Heroes Reborn Iron Man. Wow that has to be a record.

Actually, that's right on par with the Wal-Mart exclusive that Toy Biz made. The only truly 'new' figure was Thor (well, Giant-Man too, but so is Ares).

Even better, the Black Panther body was used twice in that same wave (Captain Britain and Sentry), just as the Silver Surfer body shows up twice in this one.

In an ironic twist, you're knocking Hasbro for being like Toy Biz.

And even better: Hasbro's not giving us another Wolverine. Spider-Man, yes, but at least they seem to be honestly trying to top the one Toy Biz made.

For generic characters the Taskmaster sculpt really is perfect, and this does save us from the nefarious Hasbro ball-joint. Black Bolt/Adam Warlock anyone?

I was rather surprised they didn't use the Bullseye/ Taskmaster/ Havoc/ Captain Marvel/ Genesis Vel/ Moon Knight/ Bansee/ Quicksilver/ Yellowjacket sculpt for those characters - Giant Man is actually an enlarged version of this mold BTW. They aren't really known to be very large/muscular and the above sculpt would have worked well for them.

the kang,gaurdian and vision figures were really cool as well i've really been expecting for these figures as well...the ultimate war machine is the one i don't want..cuz you could just paint your ultimate iron man. :cyclops:

No way. If you paint your Ultimate Iron Man, then you don't get the cool Jim Rhodes head to snap on the Shield body for yet another cool Shield agent. See, cool Ultimate War Machine and bonus head. (Sure there's a sex joke there, but I left it sitting.) Plus the BAF part.

It's a win/win/win

GEEK

the kang,gaurdian and vision figures were really cool as well i've really been expecting for these figures as well...the ultimate war machine is the one i don't want..cuz you could just paint your ultimate iron man. :cyclops:

No way. If you paint your Ultimate Iron Man, then you don't get the cool Jim Rhodes head to snap on the Shield body for yet another cool Shield agent. See, cool Ultimate War Machine and bonus head. (Sure there's a sex joke there, but I left it sitting.) Plus the BAF part.

It's a win/win/win

GEEK

I haven't seen the Jim Rhodes head, and I'd like to check it out. Link/pic?

I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to repaint Tony's head and be done with it. Toy Biz did that back in the day with the 5" figures to make an 'unmasked' War Machine.

It's a win/win/win

GEEK

that "bonus head" you are tallking about it actually Ares Head.