Who else thinks Fin Fang Foom is lame?

JohnnyRebelV2

No not the BAF, I'm talking about the character itself. Ever since they started the BAF with Galactus I've wanted FFF because I knew he'd make a rad figure. And he did. But who actually likes Fin Fang Foom the character? Who's liked any comics he's been in. I know some people are hardcore for him, but what about the rest of you? An alien that looks exactly like a dragon? I think he'd be cooler if he was just a regular dragon. The whole alien nonsense just waters down the character. There are enough cosmic characters out there. Why make a species that look like Chinese Dragons?

But who actually likes Fin Fang Foom the character? Who's liked any comics he's been in. I know some people are hardcore for him, but what about the rest of you?

So you know that people like him, but you're asking if anyone likes him. Say huh?

An alien that looks exactly like a dragon? I think he'd be cooler if he was just a regular dragon. The whole alien nonsense just waters down the character.

Even a 'regular dragon' has to come from somewhere. How is space any worse than other dimensions, or being an ancient species that for some fantastical reason doesn't appear on the fossil record, or any number of other explanations that comic books toss out for various monstrous beings?

There are enough cosmic characters out there.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but FFF's first appearance pre-dates Fantastic Four #1, widely held to be the birth of the Marvel Universe as we know it. That means that, technically speaking, there weren't ANY cosmic characters at the time of his creation.

I'll even grant that he was retconned into being an alien... but I'll also put forward that there weren't nearly as many 'cosmic characters' around then as there are now. It's not like the guy just made his first appearance less than a year ago *cou-Son of Hulk-gh*.

Why make a species that look like Chinese Dragons?

Maybe you have it backwards. Maybe Chinese dragons look like his species. Well, not Chinese dragons specifically, since his design has traditional elements of both Eastern and Western dragons, but you get what I'm saying.

But really, he has to look like something. Why make a species that look like goblins (Skrull)? Or like blue humans (Kree)? Or like humans with feathers (Shi'ar)? Or like bugs (Brood)? Or like cat/skunk people (Mephistoids)? Or like any number of the recognizable things that comic book aliens tend to resemble?

Why make him look like a dragon? Because it gives him a good reason to be huge and impressive and powerful and all the other things that make him Foom.

whatever. I asked who out there actually likes the thing.

You did. Then you kept on going.

Not will some guy break down every sentence I wrote.

The question took one sentence. Heck, you asked it in the title of the thread! The very fact that you provided multiple sentences gave something to break down and respond to.

Honestly now, you're getting bent out of shape because someone is trying to further a discussion... on a discussion board. If it looks like I'm trying to tear your opinion apart, that's not my intention at all. You asked several good questions and made several comments that were great for starting a public conversation, so I figured that's what you were doing. I didn't realize you thought you were posting in your personal closed area.

Foom being an alien is corny. 'Nuff said.

I would contest that having a 'normal' dragon in a superhero universe (even one with Thor and Hercules running around) would be a lot cornier... but that's my opinion. If you think it's corny... then you think it's corny. It's all relative to the tastes of the individual.

Fin Fang Foom rules. I could write a long explanation for why he rules but to put it quite simply; I'm a fan of lame characters. In my opinion, most lame characters (such as FFF, Ambush Bug, and Howard The Duck) have more personality in their pinky fingers (or, as in Howard's case, pinky wing) than guys like Superman, Wolverine, and the Punisher. Comic books are supposed to be catering to a wide degree of emotions and moods like films and TV shows do and Fin Fang Foom is the Arrested Development or Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law of comic books.

If that fails to convince you, go read Nextwave Vol. 1: This Is What They Want. It will make you a believer.

Well then why don't you say WHY you like Foom? Instead of why my reasons for not liking him aren't truly valid.

Did you miss the part where I said that your reasons for liking him are completely valid? Did you miss that I never said you were wrong, but only gave an alternative point of view?

Because that's what I was going for, and I explicitly said so. I think it's perfectly fine that you don't like him (or aspects of his design/character history). My differing thoughts aren't meant to invalidate your opinion, but just to point out that the opposite also has validity.

I'm still hoping someone will try to explain what makes him a great character.

I like him for the reasons I've already said. I actually LIKE that he's an alien that looks like a dragon. Aliens have to look like something, and dragons have to come from somewhere. I like that his form invokes power and destruction before he even actually DOES anything. When you get down to it, guys like Thor and Herc are aliens too, being non-humans from other dimensions and all. Foom is just more direct about it than they are.

I like the Hulk one-shot will Foom in it, it was a pretty cool fight it kind of ended the way Hulk #5 ended with Thor licking his wounds on the moon. Except in this one the Hulk throws Foom from Earth to the moon, I thought that was pretty cool and made my favorite comic character look awesome. Foom seemed like an ok character in the one-shot but I cant add too much of an opinion because that is the only comic I read about him.

My favorite FFF story was during the Simonson run on The Mighty Thor, which turned out not to be a true FFF story at all. The Midgard Serpent impersonated FFF until he was revealed, which set up one of the best next issues ever... Thor and the Midgard Serpent battle to the death... no words are uttered in that issue at all, pure battle beginning to end:) And Simonson's art was spectacular. I may be the only person interested in a Midgard Serpent BAF for a Thor line, but that's okay with me.

But back to FFF, I think the character is fine, and more importantly, I'm all for us getting more classic villians, we really need more made. Like: ;)

Super Adaptoid – BAF

Ultron 12 – BAF

Korvac – BAF

Gladiator

Terrax

Firelord

Airwalker

Morg

Stardust

Grandmaster

Collector

Champion

Eternity - BAF

Living Tribunal - BAF

In-Betweener - BAF

Stranger – BAF

Shaper Of Worlds – BAF

Kurse

Ulik

Enchantress

Executioner

Karnilla

Hel

Pluto

Surtur – BAF

Exodus

Stryfe

Radioactive Man

Moonstone

Swordsman

Fixer

Overmind

Alkhema

Armadillo

Baron Mordo

Baron Blood

Blacklash

Blackout

Blizzard

Blastaar

Constrictor

Count Nafaria

Crimson Dynamo

Dormammu

Dr. Spectrum

Eel

Graviton

Grey Gargoyle

Grim Reaper

High Evolutionary

Mr Hyde

Hyperion

Immortus

Killer Shrike

Killmonger

King Cobra

Klaw

Living Laser

Loki - Classic

Mad Thinker

Madame Masque

Maelstrom

Magus

Moses Magnum

Man-Beast

Master Of The World

Molecule Man

Mongoose

Nitro

Orka

Quasimodo

Porcupine

Power Princess

Puppet Master

Purple Man

Red Ghost

Scarlet Centurion

Silver Samarai

Speed Demon

Swarm

Space Phantom

Spot

Tiger Shark

Titania

Tyrannus

U-Foes – Iron Clad, Vector, X-ray, Vapor

Ultron 5

Unicorn

Whirlwind

Wizard

Wrecker

Arim Zola

Supreme Intelligence – BAF

Terminus – BAF

Ultimo – BAF

Zzzzax – BAF

Sorry, got carried away:)

My favorite FFF story was during the Simonson run on The Mighty Thor, which turned out not to be a true FFF story at all. The Midgard Serpent impersonated FFF until he was revealed, which set up one of the best next issues ever... Thor and the Midgard Serpent battle to the death... no words are uttered in that issue at all, pure battle beginning to end:) And Simonson's art was spectacular. I may be the only person interested in a Midgard Serpent BAF for a Thor line, but that's okay with me.

*List cut for sanity's sake*

Not the only one that'd like a Midgard Serpent BAF...but I'd rather see Surtur and Ymir first. Sadly we'd never get any of them in scale, though.

And I maintain they should've done a couple waves of "Iron Man Legends" and packed in Ultimo pieces.....

Any reason why a comic accurate Titanium Man was left off your list ??? C'mon he deserves to a Marvel Legend and a MANDROID (Army Builder) by golly !! Iron Man and the Hulk needs more adversaries to Whack !! C'mon Hasbro, we're really giving ya good input here that makes real SELLABLE Legends figures . . . these are classic figures and none of the obscure characters you're putting out recently. And they come with a minimum pallete of colors and painting needed . . . And these will sell BIG TIME !!

I like Foom. He's not an alien race based on the chinese dragon. The ancient Chinese spotted a slumbering Foom and his image gave rise to the mythology of the dragon. And what is a "normal" dragon? Inferring that the European model of dragon is the dragon standard makes you...dragonist.

By the way, is anybody watching the Olympics with that one commercial where the little kids go in and feed Fin Fang Foom and he in turn heats their pool or whatever? That was awesome.

Marvel Build A Figure shills for G.E. in Olympic commercial

Any reason why a comic accurate Titanium Man was left off your list ??? C'mon he deserves to a Marvel Legend and a MANDROID (Army Builder) by golly !! Iron Man and the Hulk needs more adversaries to Whack !! C'mon Hasbro, we're really giving ya good input here that makes real SELLABLE Legends figures . . . these are classic figures and none of the obscure characters you're putting out recently. And they come with a minimum pallete of colors and painting needed . . . And these will sell BIG TIME !!

No, no reason, those are two more classics that should be made. I wonder if anyone would have a problem if Hasbro gave us two waves in a row of villians with villian BAFs... I guess we'll see.

alright i like the foom but his next is to long if it where shorter it would be sweet also do u no how the apocolpse baf has a varient baf and a regular one? they should make one like this fff baf check it out ! http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-Fin-Fang-Foom-V...1QQcmdZViewItem or this one http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showim...,0&format=0

Something tells me a variant of such an expensive figure would like make a lot of collectors quite pissed off.