Why Nemesis?

ironspiderman

Its probably called nemesis to not be racist , But not sure.

You got it in one, more or less.

The word 'holocaust' is pretty loaded. While not technically racist or necessarily referencing WWII, it could be offensive to a lot of people. I mean, it's a flaming skeleton in a suit of armor, and the Nazis burned millions of people in ovens... it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to see how this could turn real bad, and real fast.

In the 90s, Toy Biz made a 5" figure of Holocaust. They renamed him "Dark Nemesis" to sidestep his potentially offensive name. Hasbro doesn't want to use the name either, so they're using something similar as well. In a roundabout way, it's almost a nice little nod to TB.

Did you guys know Holocaust actually mean sacrifice by fire? But yeah there is a much chance as getting the #1 issue accurate Red Skull and Hitler two pack as there is hasbro going back to the "H" word.

Ah, but what about a Red Skrull/Hate Monger two pack - HM had the preserved mind of Hitler or something Marvel-ous like that.

yeah did any one notice that on any german world war 2 toy you never see a swastika the most you ever get is an x. its annoying and not historically accurate but i understand the reason.on a side note why not take off the rising sun symbol on the japanese toys cause from what i have read they where just as bad to the chinese and other asians not to mention their prisoners

I also asked this quetion because there is already a marvel character named nemesis.

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/t...0px-Nemesis.jpg

The picture wouldent upload, but here she is on a site.

actually mate there are several characters called nemesis. it's not a brand name like Spider-man so they can change it if they want.

I also asked this quetion because there is already a marvel character named nemesis.

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/t...0px-Nemesis.jpg

The picture wouldent upload, but here she is on a site.

actually mate there are several characters called nemesis. it's not a brand name like Spider-man so they can change it if they want.

I know. But this is the only picture of a person called nemesis that didnt have the BAF in it.

So I put her in.

yeah did any one notice that on any german world war 2 toy you never see a swastika the most you ever get is an x. its annoying and not historically accurate but i understand the reason.on a side note why not take off the rising sun symbol on the japanese toys cause from what i have read they where just as bad to the chinese and other asians not to mention their prisoners

Yeah, retailers would certainly be quite uncomfortable with having shelves filled with swastika-wearing Nazis. Then again, I have a figure of Kroenen from Hellboy that has a couple of swastikas in him, so they do show up from time to time. Pretty gutsy move on Mezco's part, actually.

I suppose there's not as much of a stigma attached to the rising sun because Japanese war crimes aren't as well-known as the Nazi's war crimes.

Interestingly, the swastika ls like the word holocaust, in that it doesn't necessarily have to do with Nazis. It's an old symbol with a long history and is still used in some Eastern religions, but Hitler pretty much ruined it for any other purpose here in the West.

Yeah, retailers would certainly be quite uncomfortable with having shelves filled with swastika-wearing Nazis. Then again, I have a figure of Kroenen from Hellboy that has a couple of swastikas in him, so they do show up from time to time. Pretty gutsy move on Mezco's part, actually.

I suppose there's not as much of a stigma attached to the rising sun because Japanese war crimes aren't as well-known as the Nazi's war crimes.

Interestingly, the swastika ls like the word holocaust, in that it doesn't necessarily have to do with Nazis. It's an old symbol with a long history and is still used in some Eastern religions, but Hitler pretty much ruined it for any other purpose here in the West.

That's true. The original swastika is an ancient Hebrew symbol, and Hitler took it and inverted it to mock their religion. The original symbol had the tines of the cross clockwise, and the Nazi version has them counter clockwise. ( or maybe its the other way around...)

I learned that from reading comics. :)

To my knowledge, the Hellboy toys weren't sold at the department stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target. The video stores and such that sell toys one the side will generally allow the companies to get away with more than the 'family retailers' will.

More accurately, the rising sun is attached to the Japanese throughout their history. The Nazi swastika represents a very specific and dark time in Germany's history. One isn't specific to WWII, the other very much is.

True. I remember the winter Olympics in Nagano a few years back. People called into the networks complaining that they were seeing swastikas on some of the Japanese buildings. The networks did an ad-hoc special to explain that it wasn't the Nazi swastika, and being on buildings that were hundreds of years old, had nothing to do with WWII.

I saw this topic and was wondering why no one has brought up the fact that the character's original name was Nemesis. He was a blonde haired guy that killed Scarlet Witch and then Sunfire set him on fire. He then was able to stay alive buy being placed in his current costume. He then changed his name to Holocaust. So ya they changed the name for the toys for the reasons stated, but changed it to Nemesis because that was his original name.

I saw this topic and was wondering why no one has brought up the fact that the character's original name was Nemesis. He was a blonde haired guy that killed Scarlet Witch and then Sunfire set him on fire. He then was able to stay alive buy being placed in his current costume. He then changed his name to Holocaust. So ya they changed the name for the toys for the reasons stated, but changed it to Nemesis because that was his original name.

I did not know that. Thank you.