WHY MARVEL??

rogueshug

k so i wanted to know what got some of u started in marvel and why do u still like it today for me it everything but my first memories of it were when i was like 7 and the cartoons of x men ,spider man and so on used to come on and since then ive been hooked i luv all the stories the figures the statues ,movies and so much more so thats why ive been a true believer for goin on 11 years lol. so what about u? i really want to know.

hmmmmm?, that's hard to answer i think?. I remember going through a stage of drawing marvel characters in my hay day in high school, we are talking the uncanny x men, mostly. Then somehow my interest sort of stopped for a period of time. Then whilst in uni it was sparked off again via the MAX series of marvel, that being punisher.

Well the first marvel legend figure for me was the human torch, what captured me was the sculpture along with it being packaged with a comic ( which was an awesome idea to do!!). Then from there, there were figures of characters who I had come in contact with reading in comics when I was kid, like luge cage, iron fist, spider man 2099, captain britain from excalibur, etc...

So for me I think it's nostalgia, the same can be said for the marvel flicks that have been coming out in the cinemas.

hmmmmm?, that's hard to answer i think?. I remember going through a stage of drawing marvel characters in my hay day in high school, we are talking the uncanny x men, mostly. Then somehow my interest sort of stopped for a period of time. Then whilst in uni it was sparked off again via the MAX series of marvel, that being punisher.

Well the first marvel legend figure for me was the human torch, what captured me was the sculpture along with it being packaged with a comic ( which was an awesome idea to do!!). Then from there, there were figures of characters who I had come in contact with reading in comics when I was kid, like luge cage, iron fist, spider man 2099, captain britain from excalibur, etc...

So for me I think it's nostalgia, the same can be said for the marvel flicks that have been coming out in the cinemas.

cool and the comic thing was a good idea i miss it

I use to watch all the shows when I was younger. I would never miss an episode. I loved the fantasy scifi world. All of its heroes and villians, far off worlds and places. The whole thing is just amazing. Plus I would buy comics and would be engulfed by everything. The figures were my favorite part. And still are. I use to play with them so much they would break. Over the years I learned to take better care of them and collect, but I still play with them. I really like MARVEL and will continue to like it for many more years to come.

I use to watch all the shows when I was younger. I would never miss an episode. I loved the fantasy scifi world. All of its heroes and villians, far off worlds and places. The whole thing is just amazing. Plus I would buy comics and would be engulfed by everything. The figures were my favorite part. And still are. I use to play with them so much they would break. Over the years I learned to take better care of them and collect, but I still play with them. I really like MARVEL and will continue to like it for many more years to come.

yeah marvels great lol

It was a combination of things. My first comic interest was Green Lantern actually, (the first guy gardner in nm condition for like 75 cents at a corner newspaper shop), but before that always watched the Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends and Hulk hour on Sat. mornings As well as Superfriends. It sparked my interest, then in the 5th grade or so, started really collecting comics. How did I gravitate to marvel? Hmm, my best friend, whom i met in the 5th grade, (and still is my best friend to date), was really interested in Marvel comics, Spidey to be exact. So reading through his extensive collection led me further into the Marvel U. Didnt become a huge spidey fan, more an X-man / avengers kinda guy. And here I am fan for hmmm, 27 years or so and a collector for 23 years. Still really like Gren Lantern (would fit into the Marvel U nicely, lol), but a marvel fan i will always be.

idk my brother was an 80's/90's kid so he collected comics now and then. he moved out leaving his comics so i read them and was amazed. i always thought marvel was for geeks ad nerds but now that i have read them i thought this was the best kind of books i have ever read. and then eventaully after a couple months ago i started collecting marvel legends. my brother's favorite character was punisher so he basically bought the series 4 one and when he left he also gave me that so that was my first legend.

there you go :)

idk my brother was an 80's/90's kid so he collected comics now and then. he moved out leaving his comics so i read them and was amazed. i always thought marvel was for geeks ad nerds but now that i have read them i thought this was the best kind of books i have ever read. and then eventaully after a couple months ago i started collecting marvel legends. my brother's favorite character was punisher so he basically bought the series 4 one and when he left he also gave me that so that was my first legend.

there you go :)

grool

a couple of years back, I kind of got this vibe/thought so I acted on it, you could say lol

what I did whilst surfing the net, I did a search for what comic book covers of marvel in my birth date ( I'm talking month & year, not day lol). To my amazement I found the amazing spider-man, the one where luke cage is taking a swing at him. From there I was in awe, I purchased that particular comic for a couple of dollars, got it framed & it now sits in my study. What got me though was the art work from that time & then how this artwork is transferred onto/into a 3D articulated sculpture (hats off to those talented artists by the way).

a couple of years back, I kind of got this vibe/thought so I acted on it, you could say lol

what I did whilst surfing the net, I did a search for what comic book covers of marvel in my birth date ( I'm talking month & year, not day lol). To my amazement I found the amazing spider-man, the one where luke cage is taking a swing at him. From there I was in awe, I purchased that particular comic for a couple of dollars, got it framed & it now sits in my study. What got me though was the art work from that time & then how this artwork is transferred onto/into a 3D articulated sculpture (hats off to those talented artists by the way).

wow... that is the COOLEST damn thing i have heard in a while. great idea!!!

i wonder what comics i can find for june 1979? (yeah im a geezer)

so anyway why do i make mine marvel?

well, i've always been into super heroes as long as i can remember. i think i started off with DC... well if you can call the super friends cartoon DC lol

i had all the figures, the batmobile from that line, and i had some superman comics (giant sized superman vs. muhamed ali... man i wish i kept that)

but i was also a GI Joe fan and that was printed by marvel at the time (BEST damn run of them all, hands down. larry hama is the KING of joe. period.), and transformers was also done by marvel.

but i'm pretty sure i can remember the exact moment i switched to marvel heroes in thier own right. (not hasbro marketing tools that happened to be marvel comics)

June 1990, i was walking through a stater brothers grocery store in redlands, CA with my dad. i saw a spinning comic rack and decided to check it out.

the first comic that was staring me dead in the face was THE PUNISHER.

specifically, war journal #19.

2zs4iuu.jpg

i saw this big dude on a jet ski with ad HUGE machine gun, looking like he is about to kick all kinds of ass. i thought "wow. i gotta buy this."

my dad being a gun guy, he siad sure looks pretty cool.

so i was hooked.

i bought every punisher issue i could get my hands on for several years following. (until that wierd crap with the angel powers. but punisher MAX brought him back in full effect!)

my dad and i even found that horrible dolph lundgren punisher movie at the rental place and we loved it!

and the school year of 1991, we did one of those magazine sales, and i was looking through my catalogue and saw there was ONE comic you could subscribe to. what was it? The Amazing SPIDER-MAN! it was the only subscription i sold, and it was to myself.

then the x-men cartoon came out. cable made his debut in the comics, and the marvel trading cards came out where you put like 9 from a series together and it made a full sized 8.5x11 mini poster. and it all pretty much spun out of control from there.

naturally my first marvel legend was the punisher.

(i even had the cap firing version from way back, and before that i had secret wars spidey)

so that is how i made mine... MARVEL.

(i also just had twins so my dad and i have started to call myself, my wife, and two kids the fantastic four. marvel's first family.)

congrats shipwreckjr, expecting our 1st kid in feb

well off that topic now & back to marvel stuff, the MAX punisher is awesome!.

I too didn't like that series of punisher working with angels/heaven etc, that was sooooooo lame

the dolph lundgren "punisher" was good for it's time/era, same can be said about the old captain america flick, watching them now I cringe lol

I must admit though I've sort stopped collecting the marvel comic issues, instead opting for tpb, my current last read was the MAX punisher " long cold dark" which was $%^& cool

So now I'm a little fussy when it comes to figurines & comics, you could say, but MARVEL is definitely huge/dominant in my collection

wow... that is the COOLEST damn thing i have heard in a while. great idea!!!

i wonder what comics i can find for june 1979? (yeah im a geezer)

so anyway why do i make mine marvel?

well, i've always been into super heroes as long as i can remember. i think i started off with DC... well if you can call the super friends cartoon DC lol

i had all the figures, the batmobile from that line, and i had some superman comics (giant sized superman vs. muhamed ali... man i wish i kept that)

but i was also a GI Joe fan and that was printed by marvel at the time (BEST damn run of them all, hands down. larry hama is the KING of joe. period.), and transformers was also done by marvel.

but i'm pretty sure i can remember the exact moment i switched to marvel heroes in thier own right. (not hasbro marketing tools that happened to be marvel comics)

June 1990, i was walking through a stater brothers grocery store in redlands, CA with my dad. i saw a spinning comic rack and decided to check it out.

the first comic that was staring me dead in the face was THE PUNISHER.

specifically, war journal #19.

2zs4iuu.jpg

i saw this big dude on a jet ski with ad HUGE machine gun, looking like he is about to kick all kinds of ass. i thought "wow. i gotta buy this."

my dad being a gun guy, he siad sure looks pretty cool.

so i was hooked.

i bought every punisher issue i could get my hands on for several years following. (until that wierd crap with the angel powers. but punisher MAX brought him back in full effect!)

my dad and i even found that horrible dolph lundgren punisher movie at the rental place and we loved it!

and the school year of 1991, we did one of those magazine sales, and i was looking through my catalogue and saw there was ONE comic you could subscribe to. what was it? The Amazing SPIDER-MAN! it was the only subscription i sold, and it was to myself.

then the x-men cartoon came out. cable made his debut in the comics, and the marvel trading cards came out where you put like 9 from a series together and it made a full sized 8.5x11 mini poster. and it all pretty much spun out of control from there.

naturally my first marvel legend was the punisher.

(i even had the cap firing version from way back, and before that i had secret wars spidey)

so that is how i made mine... MARVEL.

(i also just had twins so my dad and i have started to call myself, my wife, and two kids the fantastic four. marvel's first family.)

geezer? shhhhhhh*****ttttttt!!!!! i was born feb 1979......i aint OLD yet! :biggrin:

Marvel has the greatest fictional characters ever created. DC has Batman and lots of Second Rate.

I collected both DC and Marvel especially the Fantastic Four and Superman in the mid-70's because of the SciFi twist in their stories, and then X-Men and Avengers towards the 80's and Thor during Walt Simonson's run. I was an avid watcher of the SpiderMan cartoons in the '70s. When John Byrne came aboard in the XMen 80's , I followed X-Men thru and thru as well as Bob Layton's run on Iron Man. I am drawn to Marvel characters because each of them has an interesting character trait that comes close to some human frailties or weakness and the ability to overcome them. And most of them don't have a full package of superhuman powers like for example Superman. Iron Man is a normal human who derived his abilities from his inventive genius and is at one time was an alcoholic. The Hulk, well he was this very gifted but frail scientist that has anger/ stress management problems. And Spider-Man has his exciting powers while at the same time trying to cope with regular teenage struggle of turning into adulthood. More so with X-Men and their own individual issues. The Sentry is another perfect example, a psychotic waiting to happen. And Dr. Doom, he's just awesome !