A Quick Red Hulk Series Review

Jin Saotome

I have to admit I'm impressed with the Target exclusive Red Hulk BAF wave. A friend sent these to me today and I had to break em out. The microtexture of the Onslaught wave figures is back too!

SPIRAL

She's perfect. People whine because she doesn't have bicep swivels but her arms still pose perfectly and are all double-jointed, plenty of motion. Comes with two swords, a sheathed sword (non removable) and a removable helmet. Removable belt too. Hands down (hah, pun) the best looking Marvel female ever. Could use shading and highlights on the fur, she's just basic colors. However her necklace is sharply painred and has tiny different colored gems, even her pockets have tiny silver buttons. Funny they'd go to that trouble to paint those details but they did.

SYMBIOTE SPIDERMAN

This is the Spiderman you've been waiting for. Great body sculpt with a perfect symbol, eyes, and cool airbrushed blue shading over his black. Unfortunately China got the designs wrong yet again and gave him spinning meat. That is to say his wrists and ankles are Hasbro ball-cup joints that spin, but he also has cut forearms and calves. This means that center piece spins outta whack. Without those seams he would of looked even better. Suffers from thick-neck-syndrome where his neck and head are the same width. In fact from the side the neck is thicker than his head. Looking head-on tho he's fine, especially crouched.

WOLVERINE

Almost a dead-on copy of the ML 6 brown Wolvie with the exception of three things. His yellow costume, his waist has been fixed so there's better range of leg motion, and he has shoulderpads. Other than that, same great Wolvie. Paint was skimped on here and he's just basic colors. Could of used some orange shading on the yellow to complete the figure. Same soft claws but nice looking shape. Everyone thought the lower leg design would change but it's still the same.

UNION JACK

Don't know much about the character but he's decent. Sharp crisp lines, cool head, great body sculpt. Has Deadpool-ish wrist and ankle straps. I see a repaint coming up. Basically the same body style as Spidey except for those lower arm/leg sculpts. Crappy bayonet that's made of soft rubber and so-so gun that can be removed from the holster. I couldn't get the bayonet into the sheathe because it was so rubbery. Basic paint ops again, no airbrushing. Thick-neck-syndrome. Looks good head on but not from the side.

WARLOCK

Classic hasbro articulation, cut-cup joints everywhere. Makes for a nice slick mold tho. Face is flared out on the sides because of that thick-neck-syndrome yet again. Makes the head really tight too. Whoops, wrong skin tone! He's flesh instead of golden. Might see a running change later? Cool staff, removable cape, permanent Infinity Gauntlet. Basic paint ops again. Infin Gaunt hand has the cool "I rule this world!" look the recent ML FF Doom had.

SILVER SAVAGE.

Think Fantastic Four BAF wave sufer with new sculpted forearms and shins. Removable vest, comes with a board-shield, club, and sword. Very basic paint apps. No pegs for board but I bet you can rip the shield-straps off underneath and use it as a regular board, adding your own pegs. Sword and club are reallu soft plastic, warp in his hands due to weight.

RED HULK

The BAF of the wave. Very sturdy feeling. He actually has black airbrushing for shading and that really makes the figure look nice! Not a ton of surface detail, in fact he looks almost exactly like the Marvel vs Capcom Sprite... which I'm turning him in to. His hair in this picture has been changed. Comes with spikey Akumaish hair normally. Great articulation, poses well. Worth the six figures if you like the red Hulk or just want a good BAF.

Funny thing to note, the dates on the inside of their legs all say 2006. The dates on all my other 2-pack Hasbro figs, ML FF and such are 2007-2008. Makes me wonder how long the molds were sitting in the factory, figs not yet produced. Red Hulk however has the 2008 stamp.

RedHulkWave.jpg

And the reason you should snag a Spiral....

Spiral.jpg

Nuff' said.

I highly agree: the set was all in all a great set. I was able to get my set the morning it came out at my local Target store which was last week. Originally all I wanted was Spiral, Wolverine, and Spider-Man, then I figured Silver Savage and Adam Warlock wouldn't be bad either. I eventually shelled out for all the figs including the Wolverine variant. Well my Spiral has a tweaked left eye, other than that I thought they were great.

100_3742.jpg

My variant Wolverine is still carded, I haven't decided if I want to open him yet. He looks really cool though!

100_3728.jpg

I highly recommend these, they're an awesome addition to any collection. Or even if you are just starting.

I highly agree: the set was all in all a great set. I was able to get my set the morning it came out at my local Target store which was last week. Originally all I wanted was Spiral, Wolverine, and Spider-Man, then I figured Silver Savage and Adam Warlock wouldn't be bad either. I eventually shelled out for all the figs including the Wolverine variant. Well my Spiral has a tweaked left eye, other than that I thought they were great.

100_3742.jpg

My variant Wolverine is still carded, I haven't decided if I want to open him yet. He looks really cool though!

100_3728.jpg

I highly recommend these, they're an awesome addition to any collection. Or even if you are just starting.

we need a better pic

we need a better pic

how do you get a better pic? it will all be of the same figure, anyway

They are real cool.

I LOVE the RED HULK BAF! Def the top one from Hasbro along with RONAN!

Love when they Make the Flex torso rather than the Ball Pivot style like the Foom. It Just Looks Better when Posed.

I do love Spiral but think her torso would look better with the same Flex torso (like Blk Widow)

I wish they'ed have an extra Hand that came with the GUN He used to Off ABOMINATION though.

I'm gonna Custom one for mine.

Gr8 Customs Jin!

i'm still only interested in spider-man, but the rest of the figures do look nice. i'm just not interested in any of those characters.

i'm still not sold on the blue airbrushing.

jin, any chance we'll see an improved version of him with one of your expert washes? and maybe fill those joints that make the "spinning meat"?

i kinda like the origins black suit with the silver eyes/spider instead of white. gave it a very "back in black" recent comics look. i'd try to repaint it myself if that spider emblem wasnt so detailed.

i do appreciate the blue though since its a nod to the original colors in the comics. i just like having a figure that looks as current as possible (hence why im so miffed we STILL dont have an extremis iron man!?!)

thanks for the review jin!

we need a better pic

how do you get a better pic? it will all be of the same figure, anyway

without so much package glare.

It's hair from one of NECA's Player Select Raziel figs that came out recently. THose are awesome figs btw!

I knew that as soon as i saw the pic, yeah keep chopping those Razzy's up Jin :P(my Raziel's hair don't look like that any more though, my spectral one had parts of the bangs missing when i got him so i ended up modding them, actually look closer to his design in game now though heh)

And yeah, i also think an orange wash will help Wolvy out, but hey Jin, i got a suggestion for ya, get the black Wolvy, a HoM Wolvy head(sure YOU prolly have some lying around) and either swipe some HML2 Ult Wolvy lower legs or sculpt some that look like em(you might want the ankle pivot i unno) and make a better looking Ultimate Wolvy outta all that :P i want to but atm i still ain't seen hide nor hair of these things(or have the money anyway)