Ares Wave mini-review

Geek

OK, don't ask for pics, I don't have time, but hopefully the info will help.

ARES: He's big. A bit too big, but I still love him. Great paint. Decent articulation with the major exception of his head. Can't look up at all. Between his big freakin neck and his hair, trying to look up just pops off his head. Good thing he's big so looking down is the norm. Accessories are great and accurate. Helmet goes on and off nice and is the right size. Give him a big 9 out of 10. Scale and head articulation make the lost point, but I'm glad to add him to my Mighty Avengers.

CROSSBONES: He's also big. As big as Ares (So why was Ares a BAF, again??). Looks great though and no major complaints. Great detail good accessories. and he can look up with no issues. Maybe a wash on the pants and arms. Arms are a bit "clean" and the pants are flat gray so a wash would have helped, but what can you do. 9 as well for him.

IRONMAN-HEROES REBORN: He seems a bit small, but I don't know the character so I can't judge, and I may be tainted by the early IMs that are too big (At least to me). Over all he's cool. Nice wash on the gold metal parts to really bring out the details. Maybe could have used a wash on the red but that might have been overkill. Articulation is fine, for Hasbro at least.

I'd say an 8, but that's because I don't know him.

UNION JACK: Been waiting on him. Not disappointed. Looks near perfect to me. Great paint. Great accessories. Only minor complaint is hands are sculpted, but since they hold the gear well, I can live with it. Some complained about his head being small. I don't see it. Looks right on to me. 9 for him, but I wanna call it a 10 cause I love him. EDIT- Been pointed out that that I spaced and he's in the RH series. So it's a bonus review;-)

KANG: Also been waiting for him. He's fantastic. GReat paint and wash. Full ToyBiz articulation. Easy 10 for me and I didn't sped $120 on him from Taiwan.

GUARDIAN: Wow! What a surprise. I'm not a Alpha fan, but I have followed the new Guardian story a bit. This is a ToyBiz figure all the way. Full articulation, and a nice blue wash. I gotta give him a 10 as well.

VISION: Looks really good, and I'm one of the "Why did we need another Vision?" guys. He's a bit small, or maybe a lot small. That tiny Silver Surfer body just don't cut it (It's really annoying on Silver Savage). Decent HAsbro articulation. Nice face sculpt and paint. Wish the hands had articulation cause he has a "grab" hand and I'm not sure what he's supposed to grab. Scarlet Witch booty I guess. I'll go 8 on him.

SCARLET SPIDER: I really wanted this one, but he's got the most issues. For one, he's got Banana arm and Disco leg from being warped in the package. Really hate that. Two, his hands are sculpted and look bad. One is classic web zip and is OK, though the thwip fingers have no definition so they kind of disappear. His other hand is a fist, but it looks like a red and blue blob. The red on the shoulders and legs does not match the red on the chest and head, and there is smeared black on his head. Decent articulation, and scale seems right. From a distance he looks pretty good, so I'll end my complaints with one parting shot. This is Ben Reilly Spidey, where's our real Scarlet Spider, HAsbro?? I'll go a 7 on him.

ULTIMATE WAR MACHINE: Love this figure. Could they have done more? Probably, but what it is is really nice. In fact, I may buy a second and repaint for a better Ultimate IM. Nice articulation for an armored figure. Colors are good. Wish the helmet came off, or we got a swappable head. I'll give him a 9 as well.

HUMAN TORCH: The bad? He can't look up at all. His head will go level, but no further. He can look down fine. That's it. Everything else is great. This is my favorite Torch figure. Yes, I'd like to have toe and finger articulation, but I can totally live without them on this figure. Hands work as sculpted. Color is fantastic. Maybe a light wash on the face to bring the detail. Mix of translucents really give him a fire look. Easy 10.

HUMAN TORCH VARIANT: ANother 10. I think of him as the supernova Torch. A totally different fire look but fantastic all the same. This time the faces gets some detail. Can't decide which one I like better. Another easy 10.

Someone pointed out that many of these figures have a 2006 or 2007 stamp on them. It's true. That's a bit funny. Reused parts or figs that got delayed??

Anyway. Over all a great set. Glad I got it all. No regrets. Tiny bit more design detail and one more trip around the QC lab and Hasbro may finally have it.

GEEK

whats UNION JACK doing here hehe :)

i've never read a comic with UNION JACK in it but i think the figure is decent as well

actually he was part of the New Invaders when they first appeared in the Avengers, being in Captain America tons of times and had his own mini Series. he has been around.

i've never read a comic with UNION JACK in it but i think the figure is decent as well

actually he was part of the New Invaders when they first appeared in the Avengers, being in Captain America tons of times and had his own mini Series. he has been around.

Funny i read tons of marvel books (old and new) 2 of the characters i never saw were UNION JACK and ADAM WARLOCK.

I even used to read the oldies captain america (falcon was with him all the time) and the invaders for a bit.. but there was namor, human torch, bucky.. medusa i think

Everyone still wants the BAFs to be like Toybiz's (earlier ones) back when they could afford it. A Build-A-Figure is just that. You get to build a figure. It doesn't have to be huge. Stars wars has them, even Ninja Turtles are doing them. People need to get over it. It's an extra figure. Cost be damned.

hell even DBZ has them and it was the size of my thumb!!! the giant figure is dead. Long live the Build-A-Figure, an extra figure that you get by collecting them all.

That's what I get for just picking them out of the big box that had both Ares and RH figs in it. I had SPiral on the review, too, but realized she was RH before I hit go. Ahhh well, I'll have to try not staying up late and trying to think. Doesn't seem to work for me.

Had Invaders 1 through the whole go. He was on the original team, but came and went. I loved him because he was just a guy who kicked ass. Like Batman on the Justice League. No powers. That and his costume was cool.

GEEK