IS HIDING FIGURES WRONG?

pooda

i remember when i was litle i used to hide toys i wanted all the time. i usually hid them in the bottom shelf behind all the big boxes, but now a days, i never go to the store without money on me.

Same here. I'd kill myself if I walked into a store that could potentially have toys I've been hunting for and not have cash (at least) or my debit + credit card. I don't need to hide because I just don't walk away empty handed.

This is the exact reason why I haven't been to Walmart this week. I don't hide toys because I think it should be like first come first serve. It no doubt sucks to miss out on something but it REALLY sucks to miss it when you shouldve had it. I have found stashed stuff all the time. It would be nice to JUST be able to look in the correct departments and not all the heck over.

To each their own I guess.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it once in a while. If I see one i want and dont have enough I'll hide it. Once at a target I didnt have enough money on me for all the ones I wanted so I went and hide two of them back in the cloths spot under some jeans. Came back two days later and still there. So I say its o.k if you want to if you dont thats fine.

You sound like my best friend, so I can relate. It's like saying man I really want that and then your friend grabs it and says "Well here ya go". You walk off happy that you didn't have to take it, but it's in your hands. It still seems crappy. However, I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall and see the look on that woman's face when she returned. Drop to her knees in the middle of the isle and scream out "WHY"!?

Ha ha that's funny! I didn't stick around for her reaction. I had to get out of there quick. haha :happy:

I don't hide figures, but only because I work retail and I know that stores are "recovered" usually daily, so I don't believe that a figure I hide is going to stay hidden... especially as a shopper when if I don't see something on the pegs I search EVERY upstock cabinet and look down behind all the vehicles on the bottom shelves in case something IS stashed. I've found a treasure or two from digging around.

I found an entire Marvel Legends MODOK wave, complete with variants, in the upstock at Toys R Us, and bought every last one, while there were none on the pegs. Took my time comparing paint jobs too, since there was a second wave of non-variants up there also. I guess TRU was waiting until a release date or something, because I'm sure a collector didn't stash two full cases in the upstock. But still, it's a known place any of us would look, so why bother hiding something when we are constantly searching for hidden figures?

Besides, I've trained myself after a few disappointments in my youth, not to go to the store if I don't have money, as others have said in this thread. Now, I'll go when I don't have enough money for a whole wave, and I think I overdrafted my account that time I found the MODOK wave + variants at TRU, but that's what overdraft is for. Idiots like me.

The only time I will hide a figure is if I see one that I might be able to trade for something I want but for some reason can't find...I hide it, come home check the trade threads on fwoosh and if I find someone great, if not, then I will go back and put the figure back where it belongs

If you always return to put the figure back, why not just buy it and then return it, instead of hiding it? May save you a trip. Doesn't make sense to me.

Question..............

Who the hell goes shopping without money to buy a $10 or $15 figure??? Do you people not have jobs??? Or just spend way to much money on action figures???

I understand that collecting can become a somewhat expensive hobby, but i'll be damned if it ever interferes with the real word responsibilities.

Question..............

Who the hell goes shopping without money to buy a $10 or $15 figure??? Do you people not have jobs??? Or just spend way to much money on action figures???

I understand that collecting can become a somewhat expensive hobby, but i'll be damned if it ever interferes with the real word responsibilities.

Word.

Question..............

I never go to a store with out money. In my case I was buying like 8 figures and only hade enough figure money to get six of them.

The only time I will hide a figure is if I see one that I might be able to trade for something I want but for some reason can't find...I hide it, come home check the trade threads on fwoosh and if I find someone great, if not, then I will go back and put the figure back where it belongs

If you always return to put the figure back, why not just buy it and then return it, instead of hiding it? May save you a trip. Doesn't make sense to me.

Haha actually I just dont wanna stand in the return line and I go to these stores basically every day or every other day so I don't look at "saving myself a trip" cause I'm gonna be there anyways...plus I have heard some stores keep track of how many returns you make and will put a limit on them...I just look to avoid all this hassle

Question..............

its not about that. sometimes i go to target on monday and find nothing, and tuesday (when im not expecting to find anything) i might go to just pick up an iron..BAM! the motherload.. or i might already be buying a bunch of crap and run outta cash. as far as a job....i make a pretty healthy living. i support my 3 kids toy habits, bills, my GF's shoe habit, and my own habits with plenty of cash to spare.

If I see what I want I'll buy it. Plain and simple. If a store had some figures I'd been looking for in stock for a week, but I couldn't find them because someone hid them and wanted to come back a week later and buy them when they got paid, I'd be pissed. First come first served my @$$.

so whats the dfference of having them held? or what about people who use layaway? its too many scalpers out their for me to chance it...im stashing.

1) having them held is fine. I'd have a better chance finding them over someone stashing them since most places will only hold them for the night, or maybe the next day. I would have something held if I was going to get them that day. 2) Layaway is fine too, assuming your store still DOES layaway. At least either way inventory is better kept. I would've used it too years ago if I needed. Too many people stash stuff though and never return for them. Then everyone gets screwed. So yeah, I'd be better off with either of those than if someone stashed.

1) having them held is fine. I'd have a better chance finding them over someone stashing them since most places will only hold them for the night, or maybe the next day. I would have something held if I was going to get them that day. 2) Layaway is fine too, assuming your store still DOES layaway. At least either way inventory is better kept. I would've used it too years ago if I needed. Too many people stash stuff though and never return for them. Then everyone gets screwed. So yeah, I'd be better off with either of those than if someone stashed.

see thats different. so do you have a problem with stashers that come back in a day or two to buy the stuff?

24 hrs tops since that's about how long a store would hold it for. I'd still be mad if it was something I should've been able to have bought but I didn't have the opportunity. It's not really yours until you pay for it so don't mess with things that are not yours. If you put it on layaway or have them hold it, then it's in the stores hand and at least it's being done right. Are they different? Maybe, but I guess it's more of a morality issue. I believe in karma and IMO the stashers will have the same thing happen to them anyway. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about that over here.

It really all depends on the morals of a person and what toy it is. Obviously, you would hide a variant figure before the heavy pack of the wave, and you may do so without a problem.

Besides that, a hidden toy usually finds itself back on the pegs as soon as an employee does a quick search of the pegs and shelves for the inventory. Which brings me to another point, hiding figures horribly effs the inventory. When the system shows that three out of seven were bought that day, and only two are still on the shelf after the store closes, somethings wrong:either someone stole something, or the entire system is screwed up. Trust me, I know, my dad used to work in the toy section of K-Mart (I still have the thousands of Legos to prove it).