Ares vs. Ares

pooda

I think it's supposed to make sense for Thor because of the whole Donald Blake connection to Midgard. I'll admit, if he was new I might find his motivation questionable too, but Thor has been an Avenger longer than I've been alive... so Thor get's a pass from any critical thoughts, lol.

i keep forgetting about donald blake..... i guess that does make sense.

yer thats why he gets the pass cause of the whole allter ego stuff...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments on the Ares pics, everyone. Honestly, all I did was get some bright green poster board and photograph the figures in front of it. Like the green screen effect in movies. Take the pics into Photoshop or comparable program and use the "Magic Wand eraser" on the green portion so all you are left with is the figures. Layer the figures over a background pic and there you go.

Unfortunately I get too much of the green board reflecting on the figures. Even that can be fixed, though.

I tried the "green screen" background before and the same thing happened. Everything gets a green caste to it. I guess in hollywood they use backlighting and such to reduce the glare effect. I find the only thing that works for me is a plain white background. It's a pain sometimes because a lot of figures have white or very light sections on them and the "magic wand" can't automatically tell what's what. So you have to get in tight and do some manual erasing once in a while. It takes some work, but it's worth the effort.

I want to back up to the reason why Marvel's Ares fights super villains. there was a little war in Olympus and as the "gods" decided to have less and less with human affairs, Ares was told to play along or get out. Ares as a war god, needs something to battle or conquer, plus he has a human son that he wants to raise so he left Olympus instead of act like sheep. Neither Ares wants to be bored. The Dc Ares (originally Lord Mars) spreads conflict throughout the world and in Olympus/ Hades. The Marvel version doesn't do that, so he takes a more hands on approach while insuring the safety of his son. That is how Ms Marvel & Iron-Man convinced him to join the Avengers: a promise of action, family security, and a better than construction worker pay grade So the up-side of interesting character development goes to Marvel. For looks and abilities, DC wins hands down.

Not to be overly argumentative... but the God of War becomes a super hero to look out for his kid? And fighting villains while getting bossed around by Tony Stark (a mortal with no actual powers), satsifies his need for action? Come on now, that's about as un-Greek God as you can get.

The Gods of Greek mythology were always having kids then splitting, it's kind of what they do. Besides, wouldn't his son be a Demi-God like Hercules?

And action for the God of War should involved thousands of people killing each other... you know, like in a WAR.

Not to be the nerdy bookworm type, but here's a description of the Ares of Greek myth from a mythology encyclopedia -

The character of Ares in Greek mythology will be best understood if we compare it with that of other divinities who are likewise in some way connected with war. Athena represents thoughtfulness and wisdom in the affairs of war, and protects men and their habitations during its ravages. Ares, on the other hand, is nothing but the personification of bold force and strength, and not so much the god of war as of its tumult, confusion, and horrors. His sister Eris calls forth war, Zeus directs its course, but Ares loves war for its own sake, and delights in the din and roar of battles, in the slaughter of men, and the destruction of towns. He is not even influenced by party-spirit, but sometimes assists the one and sometimes the other side, just as his inclination may dictate ; whence Zeus calls him alloposallos. The destructive hand of this god was even believed to be active in the ravages made by plagues and epidemics.

I can't go in for character development on a character I find unbelievable and illogical, not to mention completely inconsistant with his origins.