What's Worse, Joints that are Stuck or Too Loose?

Ninjak

What's worse to you? Joints on figures that are too loose, too tight, or even stuck?

This is probably a stupid topic, but I'm just curious what you think. Let me know some of your experiences with this.

Here are a couple of mine.

I used to hate when I'd purchase a new figure, open it up and one or more of the joints was too loose. Sometimes super glue therapy would help, but it's a dangerous game. I accidentally glued more than one joint forever in place. While some joints were so loose (like the waist my original ML 4 Elektra and ML 7 Vision for example) that I was actually forced, on purpose, to glue them in place permanently.

I thought that was the worst. But then I started getting a few figures with joints that were way too tight, or stuck all together. I broke the arm off the first "1st App. Iron Man" I bought just trying to move it. The worst was when I paid like $20 for a Snap Shot Spider-Man on Ebay, MIP I might add. However, when I opened it up, most of his joints were stuck tight. Unfortunately I didn't know about the "freezer" trick back then. So, I tried to gently force them and ended up twisting off his foot and one of his arms. He is now spare parts for my 2 other Snap Shot Spidey's that I eventually got. The same thing happened to my first Fearsome Foes Spider-Man and Rhino. AAAAGGGG! Just thinking about it makes me nuts.

So, I would have to say that joints that are both too loose and too tight pretty much suck. But I would have to give the "sucks most" prize to too tight or stuck. IMO

For me it's loose because I can't get the figure to stand up. An example is my Marvel Legends series 3 Thor. Legs are loose so the figure can't stand or pose straight.....

Have you tried the "super glue" treatment.

Drip a little super glue into the joint and then work it back and forth continually until it dries. Usually this will tighten it up satisfactorily.

WARNING! If you do decide to do this, BE CAREFUL. Even after you think the glue is dry, check it by moving the joint every 10 seconds or so. If the glue wasn't completely dry and you leave it for even a minute the joint will be permanently stuck in whatever position it was in. And it is nearly impossible to unstick a super glued joint. (Hmmm that didn't sound right).

So, remember kids, don't put super glue on your "joint", unless you know what your doing.

For me it's loose because I can't get the figure to stand up. An example is my Marvel Legends series 3 Thor. Legs are loose so the figure can't stand or pose straight.....

Drip a little super glue into the joint and then work it back and forth continually until it dries. Usually this will tighten it up satisfactorily.

WARNING! If you do decide to do this, BE CAREFUL. Even after you think the glue is dry, check it by moving the joint every 10 seconds or so. If the glue wasn't completely dry and you leave it for even a minute the joint will be permanently stuck in whatever position it was in. And it is nearly impossible to unstick a super glued joint. (Hmmm that didn't sound right).

So, remember kids, don't put super glue on your "joint", unless you know what your doing.

Wouldn't it be better to use a glue that's a little less powerful than super glue? Like, rubber cement or that glue gun stuff? Something that's still rubbery afterwards?

Wouldn't it be better to use a glue that's a little less powerful than super glue? Like, rubber cement or that glue gun stuff? Something that's still rubbery afterwards?

Rubber cement doesn't have the staying power of super glue. It is made to be somewhat impermanent. And a hot glue gun would likely melt the plastic and damage the figure.

Rubber cement doesn't have the staying power of super glue. It is made to be somewhat impermanent. And a hot glue gun would likely melt the plastic and damage the figure.

Ah, I didn't think of that (hot glue gun). Re: Rubber Cement - you are just looking for something to put in the joints to stiffen them up. If you are just displaying figs, I think it'd work well and isn't nearly as dangerous as super glue.

Being stuck or too loose is just as bad as eachother, I think. Take for example my Baron Zemo:

£3.00 for him (bargain), unpacked him, built Mojo up, started to play with him. His right arm was completly stuck. I tried to push it down to make it straight, but it wouldnt move. It is now hanging by a tiny bit of plastic. His legs, however, where the opposite; they can't even stand! I don't know if it's ment to be like that, but the X-Men Movie Professor X could proberly stand better than him!