Marvel Legends Dead???

Cylix3341

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and Hasbro DID announce to all their retailers there was no Legends for 2009 (aside from Movie Wolverine figures) at their Retailer Seminar in June.

They announced there would be no single packed Legends, so two-packs are still being released.

And they have shown off prototypes off their figures since SDCC.

If you look at other toylines (GIJoe, Star Wars, Transformers, DCUC, etc) there is usually a steady stream of "leaked pics" and lists of upcoming waves and eventually official images, either of 2-ups or actual painted prototypes etc.

Nothing like that for Legends. last mention we got of "new stuff" was in July at SDCC.

Oh, and Hasbro DID announce to all their retailers there was no Legends for 2009 (aside from Movie Wolverine figures) at their Retailer Seminar in June.

July was only 4 months ago!! They've had a ton of product come out since July and a ton more to come!

And the only person who reported the "Retailer Seminar" was you. I'm not saying you're lying or anything, but I'm not about to panic because of one person's "insider report".

If you look at other toylines (GIJoe, Star Wars, Transformers, DCUC, etc) there is usually a steady stream of "leaked pics" and lists of upcoming waves and eventually official images, either of 2-ups or actual painted prototypes etc.

Nothing like that for Legends. last mention we got of "new stuff" was in July at SDCC.

July was only 4 months ago!! They've had a ton of product come out since July and a ton more to come!

And the only person who reported the "Retailer Seminar" was you. I'm not saying you're lying or anything, but I'm not about to panic because of one person's "insider report".

what he said

They announced there would be no single packed Legends, so two-packs are still being released.

And they have shown off prototypes off their figures since SDCC.

Really? What prototypes have they shown? A list? Hotlinks to images? I would be excited to see them.

Just to use a comparable product as an example, DCUC showed us wave 5 and 6 at SDCC, and wave 7 and 8 images have shown up since then. because that line is still in production.

And I'm not sure why Retailer Seminar is in quotes. Are you implying Hasbro didn't invite all the retailers in the country to Pawtucket in June? It happens twice a year. I will tell you that when my buddy gives me another update from the next one, I won't bother telling you guys.

I got your protos right here: http://marvellegends.info/condensed/HTS.htm

My bad, I thought you said you had protype photos from AFTER SDCC. Not the pictures of the hasbrotoyshop fan poll from FEBRUARY.

I guess there was a communications snafu. BEFORE and AFTER are opposites. Those are pictures four months BEFORE SDCC. I asked for new stuff AFTER SDCC. Sorry for not clarifying that.

I highly doubt they will completely cancel it. At the very least i can see them cutting back even more on how much they put out. Im sure they'll be available in some way. Maybe as sdcc or hasbrotoyshop.com exclusives. I doubt they will leave behind an entire group of collectors just salivating over the opportunity to spend their money.

If nothing else, you'd think Hasbro would at least continue the line by offering Marvel Legends figures exclusively through their website.

Buyers could order them in advance (like the AOA Sunfire) then they could basically set their manufacturing runs based on how many pre-orders they receive, thus they could eliminate overruns. I think this would work for them, because every time any new Legends hit, HasbroToyShop.com is sold out of them in like 10 seconds.

How far in advance did we see the Ares series? A couple or three months?

G.I. Joe has a full assortment of (mostly new) figures that are supposedly hitting online retailers this week, no pictures were available until late last week, and even then the full assortment has yet to be seen.

Maybe Hasbro is starting to do a better job at shoring up the leaks.

I've no doubt that 6" Marvel Legends product is going to be thin in 2009. It may be limited to exclusives and 2-packs, but trying to say that "other lines have pictures leaking but Marvel Legends doesn't so clearly it's totally dead" is a fallacy. On life support maybe, but it ain't dead till Hasbro says its' dead and right now that's not what they're saying. They were perfectly willing to be frank about Indiana Jones' "death." I'd expect the same if Marvel Legends were truly "dead."

Just to use a comparable product as an example, DCUC showed us wave 5 and 6 at SDCC, and wave 7 and 8 images have shown up since then. because that line is still in production.

And I'm not sure why Retailer Seminar is in quotes. Are you implying Hasbro didn't invite all the retailers in the country to Pawtucket in June? It happens twice a year. I will tell you that when my buddy gives me another update from the next one, I won't bother telling you guys.

I'm curious....did you know anything about the Rulk or Ares waves before they were revealed? Especially Ares??

Just because they haven't shown product yet doesn't mean the line is dead for Pete's sake. Hasbro has always kept it hush with this line from day one, only revealing at Con's. They unveiled the rest of 08's lineup at Toyfare/SDCC this year, and I suspect they will reveal more at Toyfare '09 for next year's lineup.

my original post was just to bring back people's theories.....mine are clearly stated.....I honestly hope they are redesigning or using a new set of sculptors and that's the reason for the delay........ I think with the success of the 6 inch DC line they will try and fix their short comings from what they've done already. And we've already seen improvement from wave 1 to what 6 or 7.........

I'm curious....did you know anything about the Rulk or Ares waves before they were revealed? Especially Ares??

Just because they haven't shown product yet doesn't mean the line is dead for Pete's sake. Hasbro has always kept it hush with this line from day one, only revealing at Con's. They unveiled the rest of 08's lineup at Toyfare/SDCC this year, and I suspect they will reveal more at Toyfare '09 for next year's lineup.

Marvel Legends is not dead. It is probably on hiatus for now. They're making a go of the MU for now, just like Superhero Showdown. When it tanks, expect Marvel Legends to reappear like the Phoenix rising from the ashes!!

Actually, if it "tanks" you can expect that you WON'T see "classic" Marvel Legends anytime soon. You might even end up with something altogether different.

Hasbro's stab at "classic" Marvel Legends is already struggling. If the relaunched 3 3/4" line fails, that's going to be seen as a failure of the Marvel BRAND, not just the scale. In other words, Retailers don't want 6" figures, and they (hypothetically) can't sell 3 3/4" figures, then confidence in the Marvel brand as a whole will suffer, and we'll end up with next to ZERO Marvel product on shelves. After all, why should retailers want to buy into the brand if two lines in a row have failed?

If you miserable naysayers had a clue how business works, you might understand that the 3 3/4" line being a huge success would be the best thing that could possibly happen at this point for 6" Marvel Legends. But you're too busy being childish and petty about the whole thing to see the big picture.

Actually, if it "tanks" you can expect that you WON'T see "classic" Marvel Legends anytime soon. You might even end up with something altogether different.

Hasbro's stab at "classic" Marvel Legends is already struggling. If the relaunched 3 3/4" line fails, that's going to be seen as a failure of the Marvel BRAND, not just the scale. In other words, Retailers don't want 6" figures, and they (hypothetically) can't sell 3 3/4" figures, then confidence in the Marvel brand as a whole will suffer, and we'll end up with next to ZERO Marvel product on shelves. After all, why should retailers want to buy into the brand if two lines in a row have failed?

If you miserable naysayers had a clue how business works, you might understand that the 3 3/4" line being a huge success would be the best thing that could possibly happen at this point for 6" Marvel Legends. But you're too busy being childish and petty about the whole thing to see the big picture.

thats a good point. i think that most people are scared that if the 3 3/4 figs do well, hasbro will see this as a sign to flood the market with them, and drop the 6 inch line all together.

thats a good point. i think that most people are scared that if the 3 3/4 figs do well, hasbro will see this as a sign to flood the market with them, and drop the 6 inch line all together.

See, I just wish more people would realize that it's NOT an either/or proposition. Hasbro rarely abandons lines altogether. Yes, Marvel Legends has struggled under their care, and yes, it might go on "hiatus" while the Marvel Universe line takes the spotlight. But it will be a heck of a lot easier for Hasbro to "sell" Marvel Legends to retailers in the future if they can point at the Marvel Universe line and say "Hey look, clearly people dig this Marvel stuff, why don't you try again with these larger figures with all-new packaging and improved design and see how they do?" As opposed to saying, "Well, the larger figures weren't selling as much as you wanted, and now the smaller figures didn't either, why don't you try the larger figures again even though it looks like the mass market doesn't really want to buy Marvel figures...pretty please?"

Star Wars, Transformers, even G.I. Joe all have multiple product lines across many scales and styles. There's no reason Marvel couldn't, as well. But they have to build retailer faith in the brand. Plus, even if Marvel Legends had been a runaway success for Hasbro, these 3 3/4" figures would almost certainly still be coming. It's not a "replacement" and it's certainly not some grand conspiracy by Hasbro to push out the 6" figures in favor of the smaller. If they thought they could successfully sell both right now, they would. Heck, supposedly they're still trying, albeit it sounds like with limited success.

Also let me clarify: Not liking the 3 3/4" line isn't childish or petty. That's an opinion anyone is entitled to. The choice not to collect them is the same thing: A decision each person makes for themselves. But wishing for the failure of the line is definitely childish and petty. Giving it derogatory nicknames is childish and petty, too. There are people out there that are excited for this line (myself certainly included), and you don't see them pointing fingers and saying, "Haw Haw! Those crappy 6" figures are finally going away! I hope they never come back!" That same level of maturity from the "opposition" sure would be nice.

marvel legends isn't dead, hasbro's just gonna focus more on the 3 3/4 scaled figures, which will eventually kill off marvel legends. you should ebay your 6 inch figures now before they'll be selling for .99 cents when the hype is done, just like how the old marvel figures are selling for cheap.

me? i'm just gonna keep my 6" scaled figures as a reminder of how much money i wasted, when i should've trusted my gut feeling that marvel was gonna come out with a 3 3/4 line...eventually.