The future of Marvel Legends

RealOne

I just got new Toyfare magazine and they had an interview with Jerry Jivoin (Senior Brand Manager for Marvel at Hasbro).

They talked mostly about the new MU figs and had some pics on the cover and inside.

Toyfare also asked about Marvel Legends and Jerry Jivoin said.

They are no current plans (for any new build-a-figure waves) in 2009, he said. But fear not! That does not spell doom for Marvel Legends collectors, as plans for 2-packs are still in the works.

"It's a safe bet that you'll see some type of multi-figure offering," Jivoin relayed.

Jivoin went on to list Winter Soldier, Darkhawk and Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu as contenders for spots in the future "multiple figure offerings."

you know for once I wish they would ask simply "Is Marvel Legends canceled? Yes or No?"

other then that im probably the the only one who has faith that Ml will carry on for many more years.

If Marvel Legends were officially cancelled, they wouldn't be talking about future 2-packs (which is what they mean by "multi-figure offerings" most likely). However it doesn't sound like it's a sure thing. Which is likely why they haven't made any big announcements about them.

Bottom line: Hasbro wants to continue the Marvel Legends line in some form. The question is whether or not the retailers will allow them to.

you know for once I wish they would ask simply "Is Marvel Legends canceled? Yes or No?"

other then that im probably the the only one who has faith that Ml will carry on for many more years.

If Marvel Legends were officially cancelled, they wouldn't be talking about future 2-packs (which is what they mean by "multi-figure offerings" most likely). However it doesn't sound like it's a sure thing. Which is likely why they haven't made any big announcements about them.

Bottom line: Hasbro wants to continue the Marvel Legends line in some form. The question is whether or not the retailers will allow them to.

I dont know hasbro them selves to me seem like they dont really care. Just by saying we have ideas and plans about 2-packs and such doesnt mean they actually want or are going to do them. I'm not surew just in every interview I'vs read they seem like their only interested about the tiny guys. So to me looks like mls are going to be gone for some time.

Actually you may want to read again. Go to page 14 of Toyfare and read this part under the DC Universe Classics. And I quote "With Hasbro's switching from 6-inch to 3 3/4-inch figures, Mattel's Four Horsemen-designed DC Universe Classics are undisputed reigning kings of toy aisle comic book figures with packed-in build-a-figures." I think this is close to summing up that Hasbro is thru with 6 inch for now. The only exception is that for all you clowns that didn't buy all the figures in a wave cuz you didn't want 10 Wolverines or didnt care for the BAF or whatever, they now have a solution. Package in a friggin crappy figure with some bad ass figure we all want, make it a 2 pk and soak up our money. MArketing genius 101. Take your crappy Wolverine, stick him with Darkhawk and get you to HAVE to buy that POS just to get DH. Hasbro u r a bad bad toy company, and I don't care to be your friend any longer. When Legends go, I go.....

Wow...

You guys are really just bound and determined to believe that Marvel Legends is "done" aren't you? Despite every little tidbit that crops up that tells you that may not be the case, or the clear fact that most of you seem to have no idea how businesses like Hasbro try to make money (Here's a hint: They want to have as many successful lines as possible, even if that means lines in multiple scales/formats. Ergo if Marvel Legends can turn a profit, THEY'LL STILL MAKE THEM).

Oh yeah, and you really like to completely ignore the retailers' role in all of this. Hasbro can't do diddly about it if Wal-Mart doesn't want to buy their toys. Without the big retailers buying the line (particularly Wal-Mart) it's almost impossible for a line to become profitable. The retailers are the ones that pay Hasbro for their toys. Not us. We pay the retailers for the privilege of carrying said toys out of their stores.

But that's right, many of you seem to think that Hasbro should put themselves out of business just to please you, too....

Seriously, why do you think Hasbro would lie about trying to keep Marvel Legends around? What do they have to gain by stringing anyone along with false statements? The answer: NOTHING. Do you really think there are that many of you who will adamantly refuse to buy the Marvel Universe line because Marvel Legends were cancelled? There's not. There's barely a handful here that profess to be "on the fence" and will refuse to buy the 3 3/4" scale figures if Marvel Legends are cancelled, but will buy them if it's not. The rest have already firmly professed to be in the "I'll never buy them" camp or are generally favorably inclined towards the line. The percentage (and indeed overall number) of people that are "on the bubble" in a manner that would be negatively affected by a ML cancellation are a pathetically insignificant minority that wouldn't even make a blip on Hasbro's radar.

Seriously, all you have to do is give the situation a shred of intelligent thought and the answer's pretty clear: Like I said, Hasbro wants to keep making Legends, but they're not quite sure if it's going to be able to happen. Yes, they're excited about the Marvel Universe line and pushing it, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT COMPANIES DO WHEN THEY'RE MARKETING A NEW LINE. Hasbro's shown plenty of willingness to let multiple scales of the same brand co-exist (See: Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones). Why do you all assume Marvel is somehow "different?"

Wal mart is a money loving company. Arent they all? They'll keep getting them as long as hasbro lets them. With the way things are going right now around here, we get a box of them in and they're gone in no time. The only ones they've kept for any extended amount of time is the banshee figure. Which my wal mart still has 2. They sell out of the ones they put online. So if we dont see them, i highly doubt its because wal mart doesnt want them. ASK THEDEVILSDUE!

q. what does big retail do?

a. make money

q. how do they do that?

a. offering product

q. what would happen if they didnt offer the product

a. they make no money off of it!

I'm not going to argue with whether or not the ML brand will stay around or if single carded figure are staying or going. But the fact that most store aren't carrying the two pack doesn't bode well for the two packs. They have been out for the last four or five months and I've only come across them at the single TRU here (a FF pack) and one Walmart (a Wolvie/Forge pack and at that time they had a space marked for the two pack and now it's gone). So far Kmart and Target aren't carrying them (notice I said so far). Now I have five Targets, Two K-marts, 8 Walmarts and a TRU within twenty minutes of me. That's also not a good indication of what stores think, sixteen stores and only two carry them. The you have to factor in the two LCS and whatever other stores might carry them. So unless the stores really get behind the idea of two pack I don't think they'll be around that long. But I hope that the ML brand continues in the current 6" form for some time to come.

Wal mart is a money loving company. Arent they all? They'll keep getting them as long as hasbro lets them. With the way things are going right now around here, we get a box of them in and they're gone in no time. The only ones they've kept for any extended amount of time is the banshee figure. Which my wal mart still has 2. They sell out of the ones they put online. So if we dont see them, i highly doubt its because wal mart doesnt want them. ASK THEDEVILSDUE!

a. make money

q. how do they do that?

a. offering product

Nice try, but Wal-Mart is NOT carrying Marvel Legends in any great numbers right now. Exclusive series don't count, and around here the HMLs had to be clearanced out in rather significant numbers (particularly Wave 2). Right now Wal-Mart has one tiny little corner of shelf space devoted to three or four two-packs that have been there for about three months.

Let me clarify for you since you don't seem to get it: If Wal-Mart wanted Marvel Legends in great number, I guaran-damn-tee you that Hasbro would make them in great number. They don't. They don't even have permanent shelf space devoted to the line beyond a one square foot for 2-packs. If Wal-Mart were interested in "getting more Marvel Legends" they'd have shelf-space for them, and Hasbro would happily keep making them because Wal-Mart would be paying them for it.

Wal-Mart alone can make a line profitable because they're so freakin' big. They can also kill a line by refusing to carry it.

To put it another way: If Wal-Mart (not Hasbro) thinks that they can make more money/move more product of Marvel Universe than Marvel Legends, there isn't diddly that Hasbro can do about it. They're going to cater to the retailers' desires and push the Marvel Universe line, because if they don't Hasbro risks losing their business. Hasbro losing Wal-Mart's business means Hasbro likely goes out of business.

Yeah, Hasbro has a role in the decision making process. They "pitch" the figures to Wal-Mart et al....then it's up to the retailers to decide whether they get behind the line, continue the old line, carry both, or sacrifice one for the other. There is no logical reason (businesswise or otherwise) that Hasbro would simply stop making Marvel Legends just because they're making Marvel Universe. It's only if retailer support isn't there that they stop making pretty much any line.

Actually you may want to read again. Go to page 14 of Toyfare and read this part under the DC Universe Classics. And I quote "With Hasbro's switching from 6-inch to 3 3/4-inch figures, Mattel's Four Horsemen-designed DC Universe Classics are undisputed reigning kings of toy aisle comic book figures with packed-in build-a-figures." I think this is close to summing up that Hasbro is thru with 6 inch for now. The only exception is that for all you clowns that didn't buy all the figures in a wave cuz you didn't want 10 Wolverines or didnt care for the BAF or whatever, they now have a solution. Package in a friggin crappy figure with some bad ass figure we all want, make it a 2 pk and soak up our money. MArketing genius 101. Take your crappy Wolverine, stick him with Darkhawk and get you to HAVE to buy that POS just to get DH. Hasbro u r a bad bad toy company, and I don't care to be your friend any longer. When Legends go, I go.....

I can see hasbro just throwing in another POS wolve in with a cool figure. Hasbros cheap. I admit I do like some of the things they have done, but over all I end up being mad at them. I love the legends and hope we will have more in the future, but same here if legends go, I'll go.

Well retailers always seem to be down with the two packs most of the retailers that I see seem not be able to keep enough of the two packs on the shelves. Out of ML it seems like the two packs did pretty well this year. I don't know how well they did outside my state though.

I dont know hasbro them selves to me seem like they dont really care. Just by saying we have ideas and plans about 2-packs and such doesnt mean they actually want or are going to do them. I'm not surew just in every interview I'vs read they seem like their only interested about the tiny guys. So to me looks like mls are going to be gone for some time.

I still think we can skip some two-packs all together. With the last wave, I bought the Forge/Wolverine and Elektra/Ronin one. Now I don't really care about Ultimate Figures, so I pass on Cap/Fury and I've already got a couple of Things and Mr Fantastics, so I passed on those as well. So, if these had all come out as a single 8 figure wave with a BAF, I would have probably bought the them all except for Thing and Mr Fantastic, whose BAF parts I would have just bought on ebay. So, breaking them off into two packs saved me money. Ya, I wasn't able to get a BAF, but the interchangable heads are pretty cool, so I don't mind not having that the BAF.

No matter if these are sold as two-packs or an entire wave, we will always have Wolverines/Spidermans/Caps/Hulks, because a casual buyer would be more interested in that aspect rather than getting a Forge. It just makes me happy when they put two over produced figures in a box together, then I can just skip it and not worry about getting the BAF part from trade or ebay. Thats just my opinion though.

As far as the 3 3/4 line goes, they have a wealth of popular characters to choose from since they are starting new, and while I don't think it ML is just flat out cancelled, I do think within the next year or so they will be phased out. I hope I am wrong, but I just feel like thats just the direction it is flowing, which would be fine, ML has had a great run, and I would like for it to continue, but if it didn't that would be fine. I mean, how many different characters (not figures) have we gotten? Like 200? 250? Thats more than I could have ever hoped for, and while it would be nice to continue, I just get the feeling it won't for long. Hasbro seems to be built around the 3 3/4 scale and they feel like they have the winning forumla with that and if a company thinks it can make money using the same principals but applied to a new array of characters, why not? I guess time will tell what happens to the line. Oh, and I will not be buying the 3 3/4 line, not interested when the rest of my collection is 6" scale. Nothing wrong with 3 3/4, just not interested.

a. make money

q. how do they do that?

a. offering product

Nice try, but Wal-Mart is NOT carrying Marvel Legends in any great numbers right now. Exclusive series don't count, and around here the HMLs had to be clearanced out in rather significant numbers (particularly Wave 2). Right now Wal-Mart has one tiny little corner of shelf space devoted to three or four two-packs that have been there for about three months.

Let me clarify for you since you don't seem to get it: If Wal-Mart wanted Marvel Legends in great number, I guaran-damn-tee you that Hasbro would make them in great number. They don't. They don't even have permanent shelf space devoted to the line beyond a one square foot for 2-packs. If Wal-Mart were interested in "getting more Marvel Legends" they'd have shelf-space for them, and Hasbro would happily keep making them because Wal-Mart would be paying them for it.

Wal-Mart alone can make a line profitable because they're so freakin' big. They can also kill a line by refusing to carry it.

To put it another way: If Wal-Mart (not Hasbro) thinks that they can make more money/move more product of Marvel Universe than Marvel Legends, there isn't diddly that Hasbro can do about it. They're going to cater to the retailers' desires and push the Marvel Universe line, because if they don't Hasbro risks losing their business. Hasbro losing Wal-Mart's business means Hasbro likely goes out of business.

Yeah, Hasbro has a role in the decision making process. They "pitch" the figures to Wal-Mart et al....then it's up to the retailers to decide whether they get behind the line, continue the old line, carry both, or sacrifice one for the other. There is no logical reason (businesswise or otherwise) that Hasbro would simply stop making Marvel Legends just because they're making Marvel Universe. It's only if retailer support isn't there that they stop making pretty much any line.

Nice try, but just because your area lacks large numbers of them doesnt mean my area does. The wal mart i work in sells tons of them. I cant even tell you how many cases of two packs have come and gone since they've come out. We've had 2 marvel legends go clearance. both of them banshees. and even though they are clearance they still sell at $9.96. Wal mart's space is too valuable to allocate a special spot for something that isnt made. you said yourself hasbro pitches the line to wal mart. they have nothing to pitch. that must be whos fault? i guess thats wal marts fault? most definately! If hasbro was making marvel legends right now there would be a spot for them.

you're right about one thing, though. walmart can make or break a line.

the line does fairly well here. here its dcuc thats hording the peg space. omg i bet it will be cancelled. because if the wal marts in MY AREA dont sell them as well as others they wont carry them any more and if mattel doesnt stop making them they'll go out of business. re-dic-o-lous!