Collecting Loose Figures is now Illegal

JohnnyRebelV2

Man this thing is getting blown out of proportion. Based on what I read the only way this will effect us is by possibly having to wait to get our toys from overseas due to the testing that will need to be done by the MANUFACTURERS. This has nothing to do with us selling our old toys and even toys made after Feb 10th because they will have already been tested.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the news video link and my first reaction is that it sounds like some real "Big Brother" #$@# coming down the pike.

But I'd like to get some more information to determine what exactly this "new law" actually means. I'd like to know if it includes items made before February 09.

I mean if you really listen to that news story, and take everything the newscaster said literally, then technically it will be "illegal" to sell ANY toys made before 2/10/09, not just used ones. Because what is really the difference between a packaged toy and one that has been slightly used? How does opening a toy affect the lead content of it's factory paint job? Just because an action figure is "loose" doesn't mean it has more lead in it than before it was removed from its package. That doesn't make any sense.

Thus, if retailers can no longer sell any toys made before 2/10/09 without the "Federal Lead Standard Seal of Approval" (or whatever the hell it's called) then not just thrift stores will be affected. Stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc. will have to remove any merchandise from there shelves that was manufactured prior to Feb. 10, 2009. And, I for one, just don't think that's going to happen. A move like that would basically cripple the economy even more than it already is. I find it hard to believe the the government would want to be responsible for the loss of billions of dollars in merchandise and sales. Not to mention all the thrift stores and Ebay sellers that would basically be put out of business.

No, I've got a felling that early reports of this law have been misinterpreted. It probably is intended to just make sure that toy companies are held more accountable for the lead content in their products starting on or after 2/10/09. It most likely won't affect the sale or resale of any items that were made before that date. But I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile if you've got any figures you need to buy or sell. Better do it quick. (kidding).

Man this thing is getting blown out of proportion. Based on what I read the only way this will effect us is by possibly having to wait to get our toys from overseas due to the testing that will need to be done by the MANUFACTURERS. This has nothing to do with us selling our old toys and even toys made after Feb 10th because they will have already been tested.

testing every individual toy (lets say there are 100 000 wolverines from the same line/wave) is a waste of money. I highly doubt they will be testing all of them. like wolvie 2281 said, they will have already been tested. the only thing i could see it affecting is customs. they may require you to get things that are altered tested, but as far as having to have something tested for lead that you just took out of a package... i dont see it happening. if that is the case they may as well stop making toys period. the cost of the individual tests (labwork isnt cheap) would be so high that no company or person would make any profit on the toy unless they jacked the price up through the roof, and then no sane person would buy it anyway. They'll probably test 1 (one) (uno) of each toy and thats it. then they are set free to resume life as normal. dont see what the big deal is.

Crap! are same time, in Mexico there are create on new law for forbiden "Toys" with content "violent" how imitation army, type-military toys and actions figures and finally all product "Dangerous" for the minors... the news they are view this morning in the TV.

They are an Complot?

wow i want that grifith figure so my gatts can kick his ass :)

i aggree with pooda were you just trying to give us heart attacks or something? lol seriouslt dude calm down with all the bold wrighting and the @#$%#%$#.

Agreeing with the guy who doesn't know anything about the situation is generally not the way to go. But hey ignorance is bliss.

Notice how they are not geting email ect meaning know is to sure what the law acctualy covers there for you dont either. menaing untill someone acctualy calarifies it all you have know idea what this covers therefore you are blowing this way out of proportion. dont call me ignorent.

We now will have to get our vintage figures in back alley next to the crack dealers.

Does this mean anti-loose figure purchasing PSAs on late night TV?

"Hey kid, you want to buy some toys?"

*Opens coat to reveal nicely pocketed loose figures*

"NO!"

"JUST SAY 'NO' to Plastic Pushers!"

I have my doubts that this will affect anything. Including eBay. Especially since all the details have yet to actually come out on it and the organization that's putting this law into effect won't even comment on it.