NYCC 2009: Hasbro Day 1: TRU, Walmart Exclusive 2 & 3 Packs, More

Outsiders

Mattel isn't Hasbro. Hasbro isn't Mattel. Do you also want to pay $20 (USD) apiece for a single (regular sized) Marvel Legends figure (before shipping)? Because realistically, that's what we're talking about if it goes that route. Hasbro would have to raise the price significantly to make it worth their while. Just as Mattel raised the price on the MotU figures to make it worth their while.

I'm sure there are some people out there who would be willing to shell out $20 for a new Marvel Legends figure (without a BAF piece, mind you) every month or two or three. I sure as heck ain't one of them, though. I love my Marvel Legends and I'd love to see the line continue, but my wallet has limits.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK folks, I'd like to re-state for the record: If Wal-Mart (especially), Target, and TRU don't want to support a mass-retail Marvel Legends line, then THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING HASBRO CAN DO ABOUT IT. They've already explained to us a dozen times or more that switching to a "internet only line" doesn't meet their production and sales goals. I know all of you think Hasbro should just throw their responsibility to their shareholders out the window and just be willing to lose money on the Marvel Legends line so you can have <Insert name of your favorite obscure Marvel character that most kids these days wouldn't give a crap about> delivered to your doorstep, but that isn't how business works. If Wal-Mart and company ain't buyin', then the toys ain't gettin' made. Does Hasbro share a portion of the blame for the decline? You betcha. So do the collectors who abandoned it in droves when Hasbro took over the license. (Ironically, many of whom are among those whining that Marvel Legends is going away).

Marvel Legends being "dropped" in favor of Marvel Universe is an illusion created by the retailers not wanting to support both lines. Because if they were, I guaran-freaking-tee you that Hasbro would be making both lines. Yeah, Hasbro's going to say "our focus is on the Marvel Universe line" because the retailers didn't give them much choice in the matter. They're also not going to say, "Well, Wal-Mart didn't want to buy Marvel Legends at mass-retail numbers, so we had to can Marvel Legends" because they're not going to piss off their retailers by making them look bad. So Hasbro just sucks it up and drives on with what they do have: The Marvel Universe line. Which is why they're one of the most successful toy companies in the world.

Second: MARVEL controls who makes their toys. Not Toy Biz, not Hasbro. It was MARVEL who took the license away from Toy Biz and awarded it to Hasbro. It's MARVEL who will decide whether Hasbro keeps it (and let's not fool ourselves...they almost certainly will). As far as the current status goes: TOY BIZ NO LONGER EXISTS (They have -one- license left that runs out starting in 2010). You can't give the license to a company that doesn't exist! Even then, Hasbro would have to choose to sub-license the 6" line to Toy Biz (and could only do it with Marvel's permission). Kind of unlikely they're going to sub-license to a competitor. They sub-contract/sub-license 12" figures to Sideshow Toys for G.I. Joe and Star Wars, but Sideshow is not a mass-retail manufacturer, and instead a maker of high-end collectible figures for adult collectors. Whole different animal. Sideshow isn't really competing with Hasbro in any meaningful way.

I don't believe hasbro or any company for that matter produces stuff based on retailer demands. Company's produce what they want and if certain retailers don't buy then its offered to the competitor.

The state the ML's are in was caused by 2 things,hasbro's below par product(yes they have gotten better with time,but the first waves were crap) that turned collectors off and hasbro's decision too make all later waves exclusive. The fact that the later waves were not available to mass market unquestinably brought down the sales numbers and that was directly the result of hasbro's dumb bussiness decisions period! How do they think they will sell products and have good sales numbers when they don't make there product available.

this is right but i allready pay 20 bucks a piece because hasbro doesnt deliver internationaly. ebay only way to get them for me. i would rather pay 20 bucks and they look awesome and have a lot of articulations like the motu figs. i dont want to compare companys, mattel is mattel and hasbro is hasbro but no one can decline the fact that an internet exclusive is worth it. how many peaple wanted to see the last indiana jones wave on the net, just to complete there collections? look at sunfire, why couldnt hasbro deliver him in europe? the only way i got him, was ebay. demand is there from around the world and hasbro is ingnoring this. there is where the money goes. we had the chane at my toystore to get the hulk legends. in my little store, i sold out 3 entire boxes. 36 figures. thats realy not bad for a little toyshop.

this is right but i allready pay 20 bucks a piece because hasbro doesnt deliver internationaly. ebay only way to get them for me. i would rather pay 20 bucks and they look awesome and have a lot of articulations like the motu figs. i dont want to compare companys, mattel is mattel and hasbro is hasbro but no one can decline the fact that an internet exclusive is worth it. how many peaple wanted to see the last indiana jones wave on the net, just to complete there collections? look at sunfire, why couldnt hasbro deliver him in europe? the only way i got him, was ebay. demand is there from around the world and hasbro is ingnoring this. there is where the money goes. we had the chane at my toystore to get the hulk legends. in my little store, i sold out 3 entire boxes. 36 figures. thats realy not bad for a little toyshop.

I agree. Hasbro is self centered, its like they don't see beyound the U.S. There is no doubt that the U.S. is the biggest market but its not the only one.

OK folks, I'd like to re-state for the record: If Wal-Mart (especially), Target, and TRU don't want to support a mass-retail Marvel Legends line, then THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING HASBRO CAN DO ABOUT IT. They've already explained to us a dozen times or more that switching to a "internet only line" doesn't meet their production and sales goals. I know all of you think Hasbro should just throw their responsibility to their shareholders out the window and just be willing to lose money on the Marvel Legends line so you can have <Insert name of your favorite obscure Marvel character that most kids these days wouldn't give a crap about> delivered to your doorstep, but that isn't how business works. If Wal-Mart and company ain't buyin', then the toys ain't gettin' made. Does Hasbro share a portion of the blame for the decline? You betcha. So do the collectors who abandoned it in droves when Hasbro took over the license. (Ironically, many of whom are among those whining that Marvel Legends is going away).

Marvel Legends being "dropped" in favor of Marvel Universe is an illusion created by the retailers not wanting to support both lines. Because if they were, I guaran-freaking-tee you that Hasbro would be making both lines. Yeah, Hasbro's going to say "our focus is on the Marvel Universe line" because the retailers didn't give them much choice in the matter. They're also not going to say, "Well, Wal-Mart didn't want to buy Marvel Legends at mass-retail numbers, so we had to can Marvel Legends" because they're not going to piss off their retailers by making them look bad. So Hasbro just sucks it up and drives on with what they do have: The Marvel Universe line. Which is why they're one of the most successful toy companies in the world.

Second: MARVEL controls who makes their toys. Not Toy Biz, not Hasbro. It was MARVEL who took the license away from Toy Biz and awarded it to Hasbro. It's MARVEL who will decide whether Hasbro keeps it (and let's not fool ourselves...they almost certainly will). As far as the current status goes: TOY BIZ NO LONGER EXISTS (They have -one- license left that runs out starting in 2010). You can't give the license to a company that doesn't exist! Even then, Hasbro would have to choose to sub-license the 6" line to Toy Biz (and could only do it with Marvel's permission). Kind of unlikely they're going to sub-license to a competitor. They sub-contract/sub-license 12" figures to Sideshow Toys for G.I. Joe and Star Wars, but Sideshow is not a mass-retail manufacturer, and instead a maker of high-end collectible figures for adult collectors. Whole different animal. Sideshow isn't really competing with Hasbro in any meaningful way.

I don't believe hasbro or any company for that matter produces stuff based on retailer demands. Company's produce what they want and if certain retailers don't buy then its offered to the competitor.

The state the ML's are in was caused by 2 things,hasbro's below par product(yes they have gotten better with time,but the first waves were crap) that turned collectors off and hasbro's decision too make all later waves exclusive. The fact that the later waves were not available to mass market unquestinably brought down the sales numbers and that was directly the result of hasbro's dumb bussiness decisions period! How do they think they will sell products and have good sales numbers when they don't make there product available.

Are you serious? If certain retailers like Wal-Mart and Target don't buy the figures then they don't make any money. If those companies don't want those toys who's going to buy them?

This isn't about quality. People were buying those "crappy" figures and people were buying the exclusive figures also. It's about shelf space. The smaller your figures the more toys you can put in the aisle.

That Enough!!!

If this arguement keeps going on i will continue to delete your posts.

you are realy weird. we are discussing here and we are not saying names or bad words so? why do you wanna delete? everyone has a right to think what he wants. no?

i do apoligise for what i said. like you i guess I'm a bit cross over the whole thing but took it out on every one. Sorry.

That Enough!!!

If this arguement keeps going on i will continue to delete your posts.

you are realy weird. we are discussing here and we are not saying names or bad words so? why do you wanna delete? everyone has a right to think what he wants. no?

i do apoligise for what i said. like you i guess I'm a bit cross over the whole thing but took it out on every one. Sorry.

dont worry i guess we are all there. we would drink a glas of milk if we would met us all sometime :tongue::tongue::tongue:

hmmm no figures ??? was their any news for anys more this year ??? they said we had a suprise in for us 6 inch fans ??????

sorry had to slip this in weres my storm ????????

The surprise got pushed back to SDCC according to Jesse Falcon.

The news right now is that there will be no new 6" figures in 2009 beyond what we've already seen (most of which is getting turned into retailer exclusives). But supposedly there is more coming in 2010.

Look guys n' gals, I love Marvel Legends. I've got all the (non-variant) figures from the line save one or two of the older/rarer ones. I'm as sorry as anyone else to see them fall by the wayside (for now). But I think it's silly that people are "blaming" the 3 3/4" product for the decline of the 6" product. It just doesn't work that way: If the 6" product were making as much money as Hasbro wanted (meaning the retailers were buying from them in large enough numbers to justify continuing the line), then Hasbro would still be making it. They're not going to throw away a line that is meeting their goals just because another line in a smaller scale is coming out. Not if they can help it. Do you think Hasbro doesn't know about all the complaints going on on these boards about the lack of Marvel Legends...they've commented on it multiple times now, trying to reassure people that ML isn't going away forever. But no one wants to listen, and just keep harping on the 3 3/4" line like it's the devil incarnate.

Me? If they were making both, I'd buy both. I can understand folks that don't want to "start over" or even folks that only want to collect 6" scale and I'm sorry for the (temporary) decline of your beloved line in those cases, but hating on the 3 3/4" line isn't going to bring back ML any sooner. And I -do- believe it will be back. Hopefully better than before. Meanwhile, I'm going to love having Marvel Universe characters that can interact seamlessly with my G.I. Joes!

Marvel Legends aren't dead... just in a state of suspended animation.

The 3 3/4 figures do look good, but I will not be switching because:

- They are comparatively more expensive than the 6 inch figures

- I don't believe we will get more obscure characters just by making the figures smaller.

I expect that we will only see more versions of the popular characters just like with G.I.

Joe

- I am only interested in the characters, play sets or vehicles don't excite me

- I personnally don't think children these days are interested in action figures ( I live in

the Netherlands and toystores here hardly display any action figures, they are loaded

with computer games and DVDs though). Children are still Hasbro's main target, if they

don't buy it it will soon be over. Just

Okay, I only have 1 question in reguards to the various 4" Wolverine figures that I'm somewhat concern about. How is it possible that a 4" X-men Orgians Wolverine/Login figure has interchangable hands to have both normal and claws out, but the 4" Wolverine And The X-men Wolverine and Login figures are using snap on claws that he has to hold? I mean really. Of course, this is just Day 1, and if Wolverine And The X-men does get some more seasons/episodes later on, then it may mean that Hasbro could make a Wolverine from that cartoon series with interchangable hands. At least I'm hoping.

Going to get that Marvel Universe Spider-man And His Amazing Friends 3 pack for sure. Hope to see what the other Multipacks are going to look like. Wonder if we'll get 2 packs like the Star Wars and G.I. Joe 25th Anniversity lines that comes with a comic book for the Marvel Universe line? Guess we'll see. As for the Marvel Universe line in general, I think I'm going to try and mostly get the multipacks so that I can get more bang for my buck. Will probably still pick up a few singles if it's a character or toy that looks good(I'm looking at you Black Spidey), but like how I've been doing with both the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited lines and the current G.I. Joe 25th Anniversity lines, I think I'll more focus on the mulitpacks. For example, I don't collect that much G.I. Joe figures in gerneral, but for the G.I. Joe 25th Anniversity line alone, I've only got 4 singles and 4 multipacks(Two 2 packs with comic, 1 Mass Device Pack with 3 figures and DVD, and 1 TRU Exclusive 3 pack), but those multipacks gives me a total of 10 figures there.

I think I'm going to stay out of the whole "Damn Hasbro for dropping the Legends line and just focusing on Universe" topic that everyone seems so heated about at the moment, at least until after the NYCC 2009 is done, or maybe even after the NY Toy Fair.

Marvel Legends aren't dead... just in a state of suspended animation.

Actually I surprised that Hasbro didn't use the word Hiatus, they seems to love it. When they switched from 3 3/4" GIJoes to Sigma Six they claimed Hiatus. When they went from SIgma Six Joes to 25th Anniversary style they claimed Hiatus. When they stopped TF Universe and Altanators they claimed Hiatus. They just love that word. So lets all say it together.... Marvel Legends are on HIATUS!

I just REALLY hate that "pick 5 for the Marvel Universe" poster.

It's like they took all the ML's we always wanted and slapped them on there. It really pisses me off that they take all the ML fans dream figures and tease them for the smaller line. It's disgusting and insulting to a long time fan base.

Yes, some of those figures in the MU look good but they leave a bad taste in my ML mouth.

Can you all understand that anger?

Mattel isn't Hasbro. Hasbro isn't Mattel. Do you also want to pay $20 (USD) apiece for a single (regular sized) Marvel Legends figure (before shipping)? Because realistically, that's what we're talking about if it goes that route. Hasbro would have to raise the price significantly to make it worth their while. Just as Mattel raised the price on the MotU figures to make it worth their while.

I'm sure there are some people out there who would be willing to shell out $20 for a new Marvel Legends figure (without a BAF piece, mind you) every month or two or three. I sure as heck ain't one of them, though. I love my Marvel Legends and I'd love to see the line continue, but my wallet has limits.

I really think this is the best way to target the adult collector.

I just REALLY hate that "pick 5 for the Marvel Universe" poster.

It's like they took all the ML's we always wanted and slapped them on there. It really pisses me off that they take all the ML fans dream figures and tease them for the smaller line. It's disgusting and insulting to a long time fan base.

Yes, some of those figures in the MU look good but they leave a bad taste in my ML mouth.

Can you all understand that anger?

yep totally, i mean if u have to start collecting all over again they should make it a bit cheaper. It uses less plastic after all