NYCC 2009: Hasbro Day 1: TRU, Walmart Exclusive 2 & 3 Packs, More

Outsiders

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering it's day 1 of 3 I'm hoping thatthere's more over the weekend as seen in past cons. That Goliath seems to be using the icons Torch body so even if it means we get some oversized characters (which we've asked for without having to go the BAF route) it would seem the 6 inchers aren't going anywhere fast:(

Close, it's the Cyclops ML from the Brood series. He appears to have the same goofy cufflinks around his wrists and they didn't bother to remove that seam line from his inner thigh that is painted yellow on the 6" cyclops figure.

the seams look kinda slick imo.

Well considering it's day 1 of 3 I'm hoping thatthere's more over the weekend as seen in past cons. That Goliath seems to be using the icons Torch body so even if it means we get some oversized characters (which we've asked for without having to go the BAF route) it would seem the 6 inchers aren't going anywhere fast:(

Close, it's the Cyclops ML from the Brood series. He appears to have the same goofy cufflinks around his wrists and they didn't bother to remove that seam line from his inner thigh that is painted yellow on the 6" cyclops figure.

Except that Goliath's costume didn't have them. Although I am rather excited that we may get a fairly articulated, taller Goliath figure, he is my favorite incarnation of Hank Pym. It does add a wrinkle to the whole buying MU figures doesn't it? Ah those crafty marketers at Hasbro.

Except that Goliath's costume didn't have them. Although I am rather excited that we may get a fairly articulated, taller Goliath figure, he is my favorite incarnation of Hank Pym. It does add a wrinkle to the whole buying MU figures doesn't it? Ah those crafty marketers at Hasbro.

yeah...but he's awfully cool.

Heres the problem with exclusives and shelf space....

The products arent even offered online..

if they were that worried about volume, they would at least offer the product online, through walmart in the case of the Ares wave or AT LEAST on Hasbro's own website.

theres more to it then what everyones letting on. they already have the MU set for preorder, and yet for months i had to bust my ass trying to get crossbones and would gladly have ordered it online..

As i suspect MANY people would have done.

Now that its cancelled they could easily offer it as an online exclusive through themselves like they did with Savage Land Box Set, AoA Sunfire, and She Hulk. But they arent. Instead they're shipping the mass produced spiderman, human torch and Ultimate War Machine with the Nemesis cases.... it doesnt make sense at all.

----

Now as far as shelf space is concerned... ML is a line that has proven to sell.! Why wouldnt hasbro have faith in ML but push ever so hard all of the Indiana Jones crap that it has.? Look how that turned out..

It just doesnt make any sense.

The 2 walmarts that i found that did have the Ares wave, sold out quick. Like 2-3 days wise, and it took me months to collect the set. it doesnt add up

Its spiderman,heroes reborn IM and ultimate war machine that shipped with the ares wave,not the human torch.

you mean shipped with the nemesis series... lol. i cant believe you nitpicked that though.

i honestly think they dont want the 2 different lines competing with each other.

Why spend 8-9 dollars on a 3.75 inch figure when you can pay roughly 2 dollars more and get a 6 inch figure, with BAF option?

They're simply trying to phase it out to see how their 3.75 inch works out.

With its compatibility with GI Joe, and GI Joe's subsequent Film release later this year, they are trying to capitalize on the profitability and interchanging between MU, Wolverine Origins and Joe.

Which is smart, however it sucks for us that are trying to continue our collections.

I think thats why they delayed the Nemesis wave a bit to release now, in order to show some good faith, hoping us die hard ML's will also support their new endeavors...

Shelf space and all those ideas, i dont think fly. The volume would be there if offered online, or actually at Walmart where it is supposedly "an exclusive." However there wasnt an opportunity to by them there. Unless they meant exclusively one Walmart per state bc then id actually believe. out of 11 walmarts in Louisiana i checked, i found them at 2.

...They just want us to be forced to get MU. and sadly i will.

Job well done Falcon

i honestly think they dont want the 2 different lines competing with each other.

Why spend 8-9 dollars on a 3.75 inch figure when you can pay roughly 2 dollars more and get a 6 inch figure, with BAF option?

Heh...In the ToyBiz days, I used to scoff at Star Wars collectors who were paying $6-7 (at the time) for a little 3-3/4" figure when we ML collectors could get a big 6" figure AND a BAF piece AND a comic for only two dollars more. Now that seems like forever ago.

they are trying to capitalize on the profitability and interchanging between MU, Wolverine Origins and Joe.

Not to mention Star Wars. It's both smart and sensible. If you're Hasbro, why not get all your major action-figure properties into the same scale? Little kids don't really differentiate between a "G.I. Joe universe" or a "Marvel Universe." They have everyone fight everyone. And for the adult collector, it creates some pretty interesting display/dioarama possibilities (Storm Shadow vs. Daredevil? Darth Vader vs. Silver Surfer?)

I think thats why they delayed the Nemesis wave a bit to release now, in order to show some good faith, hoping us die hard ML's will also support their new endeavors...

maybe, but all the delays would seem to have the opposite effect.

...They just want us to be forced to get MU. and sadly i will.

Job well done Falcon

I'm really looking forward to Marvel Universe. I don't see a problem with "starting over"...many of us collected ToyBiz 5" figures, then started over with MLs, then started over again with Icons, Heroclix, Mighty Muggs, etc. If someone makes cool figures of my favorite characters in a different scale, I'll keep buying them. I care less about a particular line or scale than I do about whether it's a well-made figure of a character I like.

I'm really looking forward to Marvel Universe. I don't see a problem with "starting over"...many of us collected ToyBiz 5" figures, then started over with MLs, then started over again with Icons, Heroclix, Mighty Muggs, etc. If someone makes cool figures of my favorite characters in a different scale, I'll keep buying them. I care less about a particular line or scale than I do about whether it's a well-made figure of a character I like.

the only reason it bothers me is i dont want the entire dissolving of the ML line. I actually welcome a different scale for battlescenes, (i do stopmotion with ML, and the Icons lines) so having a smaller scale to do cityshots is awesome and def. welcome.

i just would hate for them to create all of the Marvel Universe (hehe) in the MU scale and not in others.

however the goliath is making me excited, and hopeful.

if i can get that and the 2-packs, specifically the iron man/hill, and nick fury(duggan) sets i can wait out and start up my Wolverine Origins and MU collections, and put a little faith in Hasbro.

either that or learn how to customize.

I actually welcome a different scale for battlescenes, (i do stopmotion with ML, and the Icons lines) so having a smaller scale to do cityshots is awesome and def. welcome.

Very cool...you should post links to your videos if they're online. I'd love to see them. I've always wanted to try stop-motion because I sculpt for a hobby, but I don't have the foggiest what kind of camera or software to use.

if they were that worried about volume, they would at least offer the product online, through walmart in the case of the Ares wave or AT LEAST on Hasbro's own website.

theres more to it then what everyones letting on. they already have the MU set for preorder, and yet for months i had to bust my ass trying to get crossbones and would gladly have ordered it online..

Now that its cancelled they could easily offer it as an online exclusive through themselves like they did with Savage Land Box Set, AoA Sunfire, and She Hulk. But they arent. Instead they're shipping the mass produced spiderman, human torch and Ultimate War Machine with the Nemesis cases.... it doesnt make sense at all.

----

Now as far as shelf space is concerned... ML is a line that has proven to sell.! Why wouldnt hasbro have faith in ML but push ever so hard all of the Indiana Jones crap that it has.? Look how that turned out..

The 2 walmarts that i found that did have the Ares wave, sold out quick. Like 2-3 days wise, and it took me months to collect the set. it doesnt add up

Its spiderman,heroes reborn IM and ultimate war machine that shipped with the ares wave,not the human torch.

you mean shipped with the nemesis series... lol. i cant believe you nitpicked that though.

now youre mixing me up! :wacko: all of the figures that are named are in the ares series.

They're not competing. Not really. 6" figures would be going up in price this year if they were continuing on single-cards anyway (Probably to $11.99 or so at least), so there'd be more of a gap. You'd be amazed how much of a psychological difference "under $10" and "over $10" makes in the mind of a parent buying toys for their child (particularly when it comes to impulse buys). I'm pretty sure there's proven research on that somewhere.

They're not competing. Not really. 6" figures would be going up in price this year if they were continuing on single-cards anyway (Probably to $11.99 or so at least), so there'd be more of a gap. You'd be amazed how much of a psychological difference "under $10" and "over $10" makes in the mind of a parent buying toys for their child (particularly when it comes to impulse buys). I'm pretty sure there's proven research on that somewhere.

Yes, and that's why they are competing. "Mommy, I want Daredevil" "Hmmm, here's one for 8 bucks and here's one for 11 bucks. Which one should I spend my money on?"

Yes, and that's why they are competing. "Mommy, I want Daredevil" "Hmmm, here's one for 8 bucks and here's one for 11 bucks. Which one should I spend my money on?"

The 8 bucks one. It's not a "competition" when it's purely one-sided. Marvel Legends has become a niche product that would remain a niche product...which is exactly why it's getting put on the back-burner and (apparently) retooled for some other kind of release pattern. Marvel Legends' audience stopped growing, and started shrinking, and there wasn't a thing Hasbro could really do about it, because the people that were buying the line have contradictory "demands" for what they wanted. (Do we want more B&C listers or do we want more A-Listers in newer/unproduced costumes? Remember...without those A-listers what happens? Oh yeah, the retailers stop buying....)

now youre mixing me up! :wacko: all of the figures that are named are in the ares series.

I think its because the new Nemesis stuff showing up in Canada seems to be shipping three figs from Nemesis and 3 from Ares for some reason.

Yeah sorry i shoulda specified haha. They are shipping remnants of the ares wave with the nemesis wave, if u order the factory sealed case.

Hasbro is selling people a bunch of crap at the conventions again. Look if they tell you costs are going to go up and they can't afford to do it and their MAJOR competitor can keep those cost down, then something is rotten in Denmark. If they wanna say the price of Legends needs to be at $15 bucks, but people won't buy them at that price then they are lying. That being said why can Mattel do BETTER QUALITY, BETTER DISTRIBUTION, and CHEAPER PRICING? Ask yourself also this last question, if you support the new MU, you will be saying you believe this BS. You have a chance to take a stand now and make this line fail to get back what most of us want anyways, ML. The choice is in your hands, I don't care how many votes or who is available in the minime universe. If it looks like poop and smells like poop, don't eat it cuz it probably isn't a Babe Ruth.

Hasbro is selling people a bunch of crap at the conventions again. Look if they tell you costs are going to go up and they can't afford to do it and their MAJOR competitor can keep those cost down, then something is rotten in Denmark. If they wanna say the price of Legends needs to be at $15 bucks, but people won't buy them at that price then they are lying. That being said why can Mattel do BETTER QUALITY, BETTER DISTRIBUTION, and CHEAPER PRICING? Ask yourself also this last question, if you support the new MU, you will be saying you believe this BS. You have a chance to take a stand now and make this line fail to get back what most of us want anyways, ML. The choice is in your hands, I don't care how many votes or who is available in the minime universe. If it looks like poop and smells like poop, don't eat it cuz it probably isn't a Babe Ruth.

Did they say something about manufacturing cost at this show? I missed that. Anyway, Mattel is a bad comparison, because they really aren't doing it any better. Yes, I love the line and think in many ways it's one of the best, but... Quality? I've been lucky and maybe you have, too, but I see lots of reports about broken joints. Not to mention shoddy paint on many of them. Better distribution? By their own admission they blew it with the last Wally Wave. It only showed up at like 1/8th of the Walmarts. Never even shipped the Red Tornado variant. Cheaper pricing? Not sure about that either. Walmart has DCUC for $11.49ish, and ML figs (Not clearance) for $10.24. Yes, they are keeping both 6" and micro-figs going, that's cool. I guess. It's all business it would seem. Hasbro wants to focus on the new line. Mattel is cool with trying both. Who knows which is the right business decision. Time will tell.

----

the human torch did ship with the ares wave.

Were not talking about the ares wave,were talking about witch figs from the ares wave shipped with the nemesis wave.The human torch wasn't one of them.

Wal-mart isn't as big up here as it is in the states. Here there a small fish in a big pound,they don't have the power to decide anything up here. I know there not going out of bussiness(sadly) I was just putting your statement in context.

Wal-Mart may not be the number one retailer wherever you're at, but guess what? If they don't buy it in the States then chances are you're never going to see it ANYWHERE, including wherever it is you're at. (In fact, haven't you commented that Hasbro doesn't ship ML to where you're at?)

The United States is the most lucrative toy buying market in the western world (maybe the entire world, but I think Japan might rival them), and Wal-Mart basically owns the toy market in the US. Even Target, their biggest/most successful competitor, doesn't even equal half of Wal-Marts' market share. If Hasbro can't sell a line in the United States, they're not likely going to sell it anywhere else, either. Most nations outside the US already only get dribs and drabs of the product Hasbro ships to the US. Quite frankly, countries like Canada, the UK, etc...are small potatoes to Hasbro. They could probably ignore those countries completely and still make profit based on the US alone.

To put it another way: The United States has almost 10 times the population of Canada, and roughly 5 times the population of The United Kingdom. It's simple economics.....more people to buy = more potential profit.

If wal mart doesn't buy it in the states we can still see it here,there are stores in Canada that you don't have in the states.

As far as shipping goes your confusing me with someone else ,because hasbro does ship to Canada by way of hasbro canada.

I agree that the states is the biggest buying market but like i said before it just proves that hasbro is self centered,they can't see beyound there own yard!

BTW stop trying to make everyone believe that wal mart is the high and mighty,because there not.

That being said,case closed.