MU Customs

DarthOnyx

Really I thought they were on professional level. I'm just kidding. Sometimes I'm pleased with them and other times (Quicksilver) I just want to start over, but like I said they are for my son to play with so if he is pleased then it is ok. Thanks for you comments though. I really would like to do a Rogue more true to character, but the jacket kills me.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really I thought they were on professional level. I'm just kidding. Sometimes I'm pleased with them and other times (Quicksilver) I just want to start over, but like I said they are for my son to play with so if he is pleased then it is ok. Thanks for you comments though. I really would like to do a Rogue more true to character, but the jacket kills me.

Yeah I thought about making Rogue from DCIH Black Canary but the lack of poseability would be really apparent on a character like her.

Rogue is one of my favorite characters to. Really my customs are "place holders" until hasbro decides to make them. My hope is that some of you guys who are excellent at customizing will say well you could do this or that and I can improve mine. Any suggestions at all would be great. Like how do you paint a straight line. That seems to be a big weakness for me.

Rogue is one of my favorite characters to. Really my customs are "place holders" until hasbro decides to make them. My hope is that some of you guys who are excellent at customizing will say well you could do this or that and I can improve mine. Any suggestions at all would be great. Like how do you paint a straight line. That seems to be a big weakness for me.

While I can draw a straight line, I sure as heck can't paint one. So I mask things off when it's really critical. Just be sure that you don't leave masking tape on the figure for too long or it may lift paint.

My best suggestion comes in the form of a question. What kind of brush are you using?

Because believe it or not the brush makes all the difference. I use a .0, and a .01 soft brush. Using such thin soft brushes allows for great detail work, and very smooth almost invisible brush strokes. For fine sharp details I often use Shapie Ultra Fine permanent markers.

The other thing that makes a huge difference is the type of paint. using enamel paints are often a pain, so I switched to acrilics, and particularly on these kind of customs I use flat acrilics to make them look more realistic, and not so shiney like the older figures were. Now when the situation calls for gloss then I use it like on Phoenix's boots, gloves and sash, or Cable's metal arm.

For light colors like yellow, orange, and white I paint a coat of white then go over it with the color I want. This means allot less coats of the desired color.

Finished up some customs this weekend:

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

Red Skull is a Rise of Cobra Destro with a skull mask sculpted right on top of the Hasbro head. I sculpted on the armband as well. Nothing too different from previous posts.

DSCN0547.jpg

Sin is a 25th Anniversary Baroness with a Rise of Cobra Baroness head and Agent Helix hair. I went with a lighter skin tone than the one that I posted earlier. I also may add more detail later on.

DSCN0549.jpg

Zola is pretty much a ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi withe the head removed and a much larger head sculpted on the torso and encased in plastic from a blister card.

DSCN0546.jpg

Master Man is made from a MU Punisher body and a General Abernathy head.

DSCN0534.jpg

Really only two of these are done. But I found a bunch of Strike Mission Wolveries on clearance for $1 so I decided to start my troop building

DSCN0537.jpg

Sharon Carter is made from a RoC Baroness (body and hair) with 25th Anniversary Scarlett (head). This figure went through a lot of changes because I wanted it done right.

DSCN0538.jpg

Maria Hill is a Helix with the hair removed and a new do sculpted on top.

DSCN0539.jpg

SHIELD Advanced Combat soldier #1 has a ways to go. I shaved off Wolvie's sideburns and resculpted the mouth. I need to touchup the paint.

She's coming along. I've been working on the bathroom sink, plus weddings this weekend so customs have taken a back seat. I gave her a breast reduction (after I realized that what I had sculpted on top of Baroness was something that only Jim Balent would love) and have been constantly sanding and smoothing out the stuff that I had sculpted. I also ran out of silver paint.

This is how she looks this morning:

DSCN0550.jpg

I threw in Captain America and Wolverine so it would be relevant to this forum. That's also my WIP Adam West Batman made out of a black suit Spider-Man and an Indiana Jones head

Hi there! Good to see you as usual.

Here I'd like to share a custom I whipped up after recently getting into the new X Force...Bastion!

This guy doesn't particularly LOOK all that threatening, but he's an evil genocidal maniac cyborg that's had more than one battle with your favorite mutants!

018.jpg

017.jpg

As far as the "recipe", for this figure there isn't a long list. It's Johnny Storm to start with, given a haircut. Then, I used some barber skills to remold his hair and give him the goatee. He has Deadpool's arms, and I molded the little buckles on his stomach. He was carefully painted using Testors Model Master Acryl, the superior product in my experience.

You can find him on Ebay along with Domino starting tuesday at 7pm here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MESCX:IT

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an Indy fig for $3 yesterday and looked at the nameless Joe fig w/ a beard when I got home. And all of a sudden it hit me shave the beard, give him gry hair and voila Stan Lee. So I got to work and after some serious reworking of the head socket I got the head to fit. Then I had to go help my dad work on some guy's kitchen to free him up to watch my kids later today. While I was working over there I racked my brain to figure (heh "figure") out how to make Stan's glasses. When I got home I pulled out some clear plastic, and about 1 1/2-2 hours, 20 some tries, and 2 pairs of glasses later I did it I finished Stan "the man" Lee in 1:18 scale. Let me know what you guys think.

012-12.jpg

006-17.jpg

004-25.jpg

These are all great customs, especially that Dr. Doom miked. I sure hope we get Doom soon and looks something close to that. After being inspired by all these and because the Fantastic Four and their family is my favorite marvel group, I've decided to try making the Invisible Woman.

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

You'll notice that Mr. Fantastic is headless for now. I just bought a 25th anniversary Hawk (thanks to DarthOnyx for the idea) and will attach that once it comes in. When the Secret Wars 2-pack comes out, I'll have to see which head I like better.

Here's how it looks as a whole... bad lighting...

DSC_0313.jpg