DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i like that puck. and daken is gay? lol. i didnt know that

daken is gay ? I haven't got into the wolverine origins yet, is this true ? Not that it matters, that's one tough dude either way

So...gays are ok with you as long as they are tough so they can protect you?

LOL j/k man.

Don't get all ass hurt!

Omg I'm on a roll...ass hurt....gays? LMAO

This one I did for my daughter.It's X-23, I saw this custom on youtube one day and showed her to my daughter and she asked me if I could do it.I personally know it's not as good as the one I saw but she said she loves it so that's good enough for me.I didn't add the feet claws because she didn't like them when she played with her.Well this was a repaint of a supergirl I found at ROSS, I ripped off her skirt(sounds perverted?) and just repainted it and added claws from a wolverine toy.The belt was from a star trek belt.

that is a good custom. What matters most (not what we think... or what you think) is that your daughter is happy with what you made for her.

My teenage daughter has mentioned me making her one, but when I ask she say 'maybe later'. I am not sure who she wants. I think i will have to make her SuperGirl as that was the last comic she read more than 1 issue of.

i like that puck. and daken is gay? lol. i didnt know that

daken is gay ? I haven't got into the wolverine origins yet, is this true ? Not that it matters, that's one tough dude either way

If he is, that just makes him even more "edgy", what being gay with a tribal tattoo and mohawk. God do I hate this character.

In his own comic Daken likes to hit on the male members of his team in order to make them uncomfortable. He toys with Karl Sofen in a similar way; teasing and threatening in equal measure. I think he's actually asexual; or perhaps sexually stymied in the way of Hamlet, dominated by an unbridled father figure that drains him of sexual drive. Daken uses sexuality to manipulate people, but he never closes the deal with any of them. It's hard to tell in the comics if that is simply because he is manipulating people, and nothing more, or whether he is subconsciously shying away from actual sexual situations--a Freudian kind of inability to really best his father's dominant virility. I'm not sure Marjorie Liu or the editors have this straight in their heads, either; Daken is one of the Dark Avengers that Bendis most shies away from really writing. He puts the other characters through the wringer, and fleshes out their personalities, and lets them get in scrapes and such. He keeps Daken in the background, as if the Dark Wolverine team had claimed the character and were trying to get Bendis to hold back on him.

I wish they would commit a bit more on his character; this Machiavellian read of him in Dark Wolverine is getting stupid real fast. This is a manipulator who does next to nothing. With Venom and Karla Sofen it's clear why they're on the team. With the Sentry and Ares it's very clear as well. Why is Daken on the Dark Avengers? To piss his father off? That seems to have completely backfired. One would think if that were his goal Daken would be going out of his way to besmirch his dad's relatively good name, but he's acting a little like the other Dark Avengers, and trying to basically do his job. Why is he trying to fit the mold? He's definitely one of the most outright evil of the Dark Avengers, and he's not after any kind of redemption. So he just sits there thinking his teammates are all idiots, and that he hates his dad and wants to humiliate him, but he does nothing about nothing. He fights some sort of villains. He has coffee with the others at the Avengers Tower breakfast table. He bides his time. He procrastinates.

Now that I think of it, this "prince" is more Hamlet than Machiavelli after all.

Daken is definitely NOT gay.

He may be bisexual.

As noted, he usually "flirts" or "hints" at attraction to male Dark Avengers to throw them off balance and gain a psychological advantage with them. As noted in last month's issue, his mission and whole reason for joining the Dark Avengers is to #$## with the team and ultimately kill Norman Osborn.

You guys don't think Hamlet had a death wish? That duel was rigged in so many ways...

"As noted in last month's issue, his mission and whole reason for joining the Dark Avengers is to #$## with the team and ultimately kill Norman Osborn."

...which seems very weak characterization to me. It makes it so at the initial stage Daken has no obvious reason for joining the Dark Avengers. Osborn's way of selling it to him is getting the opportunity to stick it to Logan by dressing up as Wolverine. Daken never pursues this. If he's on the team to mess with the heads of a bunch of super-villains and kill Osborn, what inspires him to go down that path? It's not like he goes out of his way to get on the team.

My feeling is that Bendis had the idea that he joins the Dark Avengers to humiliate Logan, and that the team writing Dark Wolverine decided to go in this other direction. But they were only dealing with him once he was on the team, so they (Liu and her editor) are basically cut off from the impetus for the whole thing. They seemed to feel no need to follow up on the juicy bone Bendis threw them, and instead decided to ditch Logan for a while and instead do this whole Machiavellian storyline that is plodding its way to nowhere. The whole unfocused issue of Daken's sexuality could have been made to serve the end Bendis suggested (a kind of pseudoFreudian Eudipal drive), and give Daken a clearly-developed motivation for being with the Dark Avengers. Instead he's robbed of any natural characterization and his writers decide instead to quote "The Prince" a lot and send Daken on meaningless missions--like when he ultimately gets the Fantastic Four to owe him a favor. Was that really what Daken hoped to get out of four issues of toil and setup? He seems to think so.

I think it's just rather poor writing. I don't think Liu's comic writing has achieved any sort of natural or comfortable rhythm yet--the NYX sequel was too ponderous to read more than superficially (plus it immediately undid the reasoning behind some of the most beautifully suggestive ideas in the first NYX series), and this Dark Wolverine, while full of good ideas, falls far short of what it ought to be. Daken shouldn't be a saint or a devil; in a way he is in a more ambiguous position than even Wolverine is. It's cool to have him manipulate people, since he clearly enjoys that and is so capable, but Liu likes to set him up as such a mastermind, and he's really a bit of a whelp who could swing to either side of the hero/villain scale.

I think Bendis has it right here, too; Daken is impressionable, and open to improvisation. He's very new at the hero/villain game, so he shouldn't really be able to be such a constant badass. I thought Siege 2 had one of the better Daken scenes, when he tracked down Thor and Thor just fried him. Why doesn't Daken get to use his healing factor more? Part of the existential intrigue in the Wolverine family of characters (primarily meted out in the characters of Logan and Laura) is how their deep psychological pain gets played out viscerally through extreme physical suffering. Logan and Laura Kinney routinely get their flesh seared off, their limbs hacked up, bullets to the forehead, generally suffer through a whole lot of fires, from low-grade to chemical. They get poisoned, electrocuted, gutted. They get their throats ripped out. They get impaled or have their internal organs torn away. It's preposterous, of course, but these are visuals that express the depths of the pain in their souls, their unfulfilled longings, their tragedies; the pain of their existence, given visual expression.

Daken doesn't get enough of any of that. His pompous sexism, his androgynous quality, his self-sufficiency--none of that brass is generally revealed to be just brass, covering up insecurity or unhappiness. And he doesn't get pummeled around the way only the Wolverine family can. As a result, he is really deprived of that deeper dimension that is the appeal of these characters. I mean, X-23 is a lame idea given incredible gravitas by writing that has been sympathetic to her and deft with her characterization. You get the sense that Kyle and Yost really want her to be an important character--they develop her slowly and surely, and they invest her with true character traits that mirror those that have given Wolverine real development. X-23 has routes to find meaning in her life, but obstacles to stop her from getting there. She has natural villains, just like Wolverine, Spider-man, or any of the A-list characters (Brian Reed kind of hit the nail on the head in the Ms. Marvel comic when Ms. Marvel admits she has no arch-enemy supervillains--if the superhero has no absolutely natural enemies, it tends to keep them from being A-list--X-23 is already close to having a rogues' gallery, and she's only been around a few years).

Daken doesn't get this kind of treatment. Instead, we are told he is the modern-day Machiavellian "Prince." Really? Hard to believe, and harder to care. Earlier writing of Daken made more sense to me, but his series flies in the face of what could be fine characterization. There has yet to be the crystallizing writing that defines Daken and makes him sufficient to be a necessary character (like the Claremont/Miller miniseries did for Wolverine, or the Target X series and the whole Purifier storyline in New X-men did for Laura Kinney).

Then he needs to go off and get himself killed like Hamlet

hamlet didn't kill himself... I think your thinking of Romeo or Othello.

It's kinda funny, the most customized character on the board is gay. Can we 86 daken customs ? Not because he is gay or anything, he's been done way too many times. ( hard ninja, sculpt for the Mohawk & any wolverine... Oh I forgot paint for tattoes)

Then he needs to go off and get himself killed like Hamlet

hamlet didn't kill himself... I think your thinking of Romeo or Othello.

It's kinda funny, the most customized character on the board is gay. Can we 86 daken customs ? Not because he is gay or anything, he's been done way too many times. ( hard ninja, sculpt for the Mohawk & any wolverine... Oh I forgot paint for tattoes)

The guy never said Hamlet killed himself. He said he went and GOT himself killed. Big difference.

Daken isn't gay by the way. As previously stated, he's bisexual if you'd have to define him so narrowly, with an emphasis on sex as a tool for other means than physical gratification or reproduction. Even if he was, why is it "funny" that the most customized character on the board is gay? I'm not seeing humor there.

Regardless, with an actual Daken figure coming, I'd wager there will be far fewer customs of him.

I find it funny that daken is the most customized character on this website & many people didn't know his sexual orientation. I also find it funny that the new guy with 14 posts is coming at me sideways. We are talking about daken & his sexual preference... Not yours, so calm down. I can care less about daken being gay & I defenitly didn't need the guy who barely comes on the site telling me there was a daken figure coming out, when toy fair was last week. Dude I knew they were making a daken before you even found this site.

all I said was that daken has been made and posted like 30 times (all of them really good) maybe the hard ninja wolvie body should be retired, because it's not really a new custom.Now you are either Daken himself or are working on a daken custom, either way picking fights about dumb ass #$@# is an easy way to get you entered in the omega red contest..

LMFAO.. Step your game up

You should really calm down and re-read his post. I don't think he attacked you or "came at you sideways". Merely expressed his opinion on the topic at the moment which he is entitled to do regardless of how new he is. I can recall a time when you, yourself, were new and in many ways still are.

To clarify further, the Omega Red contest was your idea because you could not match me on wits alone. Therefore, you thought you could with this custom stand-off unaware that my best work was posted elsewhere.I assure you that I did not agree to it because of a "fight over dumb-ass #$@#". Many of us here DO know each other away from the computer and ARE as an extended family of sorts.There's no room for cockiness, show-boating, and unjustified rudeness. We WILL stand by those "family" members iin the event of aforementioned behavior. So, once again, I recommend you calm the #$## down and get with the program.

ONYX TO THE RESCUE.... THAT WAS WELL TIMED & EXPECTED

LOOK YOU ARE VERY RUDE, COCKY AND PRETTY MUCH ALL THE THINGS MENTIONED IN YOUR LAST POST. YOU WAIT FOR ME TO SAY THING THAT YOU DISSAGREE WITH AND YOU JUMP IN & WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE YOUR BACK ON THE SUBJECT. AS FAR AS THE OMEGA RED CONTEST, I CHALLENGED YOU BECAUSE YOU STARTED TO GET INTO THE TOPIC OF MY RACE & WERE SAYING SOME PRETTY RUDE THINGS AS SEEN IN THE QUOTE BELOW:

Most people know me. They know that I usually let crap slide until I have enough. So, I have to now say...STFU!!!! I've sat here and watched you stir up #$@# with most everyone on here. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. However, I realize now that you're just an annoying #$###. So he made a thin BP. So freaking what? Do you truly think that someone that active would be buff? You get on here bashing his work like you are Sally Freaking Struthers trying to feed Africa or some #$@#. Have you ever been to Africa? Do you even know where it's located on a map?

See, here's what you fail to realize. His customs are His works of art. HE is the artist and can therefore interpret the character anyway he sees fit! Personally, I think his interpretation makes the character look much more realistic and believable. of course, I do have more of an open mind than you. After getting a stiff neck trying to view your side-ways posts of your "customs", I really don't see how you have the right to be so harsh towards anyone's work. you paint an Abomination red and change heads. hell, my 7 year old can do that. real imaginative. So you're black, So freaking what!! Welcome to life!

ONYX YOU ARE RUDE

"So...gays are ok with you as long as they are tough so they can protect you?

LOL j/k man.

Don't get all ass hurt!

Omg I'm on a roll...ass hurt....gays? LMAO "

ONYX YOU ARE COCKY

"Place your bets! Btw...I do this for a living!"

YOUR PRETTY MUCH ALL THE THINGS YOU DIRECTED AT ME IN YOUR LAST POST

LOOK PHOTOSHOPPED MAN WHITH THE SCARY FACE, THE REASON I CHALLENGED YOU WAS TO SHOW PEOPLE THAT THE REGULAR "JOE" CAN MAKE CUSTOMS JUST AS GOOD AS YOU. IN FACT THIS CONTEST IS PROVE TO PEOPLE THEY DONT NEED YOU. SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE

& BE READY TO GET EXPOSED ON APRIL 1ST

PS: NO NEED TO RESPOND, ACTUALLY DONT TALK TO ME TILL APRIL 1ST OR NEVER

OMG ...You make me laugh dude! Are you for real? I'll take a pic of my nipple and send it to you since you obviously need to suckle.

I got that way because of how you attacked my friends on numerous occasion. All to get under your skin. Or wake you up. I've been online for a very long time. I've seen punks like you come and go. The one thing I have learned about guys like you is that they get online and try to compensate for what they are lacking in their real life. Respect, confidence, admiration. They think because it is the internet, they can be an ass to everyone and get away with it. Your wife probably wears the pants in your house doesn't she. Did you ask her if you could get on here?

The things you mentioned don't bother me in the least. As I know as well as most here, that I am not like that at all. I'm probably the most humble person here. Only when I see an ass deliberately being rude and disrespectful to those I consider friends do I react. As it seems the moderators here do not know how to enforce civility. You say I wait for you to post? That's inaccurate, as I have posted many times behind your idiocy and said nothing. In fact, I've even agreed with you on several occasions.

I never said anyone "needed" me here at all. I do know, however, that they "want" me here. Can you say the same?

Every time anyone says anything to you, you get all ass-hurt like a lil #$#@# and go defensive/ballistic. I tried to show you the error of your ways and be supportive of your input and this contest. However, I realize now that you are too retarded to realize when people are just being honest. As evidenced in the "new guy's" post. You bring up my signature"place your bets". Isn't that what you wanted? You called me to the curb...I'm here! I never claimed to be better than anyone. That's not my intention. My intention is to teach you a little humility. It amuses me really that my straight forward advise gets under your skin so much. Must have hit a nerve I suppose. It's only the internet dude! Don't pop a blood vessel. I merely asked you to stop being such an ass to people. Perhaps I was rude...to you. Stop acting like a little #$#@#!

P.S. Sorry about my avatar. Don't be skeered! LMAO

Look both of you guys (Onix, and Powerman) need to calm down. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so but you're both acting like children. Please stop before you get yourselves band before the April 1st reveals. I've seen too many of my friends get themselves band by childish behavior like this. I think you guys are both very good at customizing, and are really good guys who I enjoy talking to. You both have inspired me to do a custom or 2 that I hadn't planned on (most recently PM's Jigsaw inspiring my own, and now the Omega Red I had been boucing off the wall trying to figure out, but just couldn't get the idea fleshed out until the pressure of an actual due date) I REALLY don't want to see EITHER of you guys go the way of Lord Madhammer, and Hotrod over on tfans/tformers. They were both really good guys separately but from time to time they would start flaming each other, and several other posters. I mean these guys even got the title of modderator, and still acted like children from time to time. It was at that point that they eventually got themselves band. So come on guys please let's grow up, and act our ages NOT our shoe sizes.

(of course this coming from a 28yr old married guy w/ a 12yr old son, a 10yr old daughter, and an 18mo old son w/ a new lil son on the way. Who has over 150 TFs on display in mine, and my wife's room + God only knows how many MU, ST, SW, DCUIH, and GI Js + vehicles, and playsets between me and my oldest son. Heh I can't tell you how many times I've been told to grow up by my wife, and Dad.)

I here by ask that the discission of anything OTHER than CUSTOMS no longer be posted in the CUSTOM thread. It just leads to pages, and pages of arguements.