MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve that Sasquatch has a LOT of potential! Good job! I recognize the Hulk parts but what are the others?

MU Hulk's head & body, removed his hands and feet. ML White Sasquatch's head hair, waist fur, hands and feet.

Great eye there. I was talking to crowncoke a while back about doing Sasquatch but would have never thought of that combination.

Who's torso, and arms did you use for Dr Strange? I recognize the Namor head, and legs like I used on mine but the arms, and torso aren't the same. I was trying you find a torso, and arms like that for mine but couldn't so I made his tunic out of cloth. I'll tell you that was a royal pain trying to stitch it just small enough it didn't hang off like a dress, and big enough to go over his body. The cape looks pretty good (not a fan of plastic capes, but of course that is what Hasbro would be giving us). What did you use for the eye? I used a hole punched piece of .01 styrene, but yours looks much more 3D.

"I can't beleive that I don't check these boards for a day or two (computer problems at work) and miss such an exciting conversation.

Hamlet, Romeo, Othello (a few references to The Prince added in)...I missed all of the Shakespeare discussion! Come on, guys, wait for the professor of literature to join in next time."

I can't believe you're a professor of literature and you're logging on to your work computer to discuss comic book action figures. In more seriousness, I liked the way the conversation went, too, Wedge. But you saw what happened; a giant ball of fire appeared where the discussion had been and blew everything away. I was off my computer for 12 hours or so and when I got back the devastation was total. I'm given to understand that if we stick rigidly to topic from now on, such spontaneous combustions are unlikely to occur again.

BTW, I quite enjoy the Night Thrasher custom, dude! The Daredevil is also nice, other dude!

"I can't beleive that I don't check these boards for a day or two (computer problems at work) and miss such an exciting conversation.

Hamlet, Romeo, Othello (a few references to The Prince added in)...I missed all of the Shakespeare discussion! Come on, guys, wait for the professor of literature to join in next time."

I can't believe you're a professor of literature and you're logging on to your work computer to discuss comic book action figures. In more seriousness, I liked the way the conversation went, too, Wedge. But you saw what happened; a giant ball of fire appeared where the discussion had been and blew everything away. I was off my computer for 12 hours or so and when I got back the devastation was total. I'm given to understand that if we stick rigidly to topic from now on, such spontaneous combustions are unlikely to occur again.

BTW, I quite enjoy the Night Thrasher custom, dude! The Daredevil is also nice, other dude!

My guess is that he collects the figures due to his enjoyment of the complex story lines in modern comics. I'm not sure how many people realize this but the modern era of comics starting back as early as the 80s, actually have some very complex stories. As of late w/ Marvel's Civil War, Planet/ WW Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and now Seige Marvel has really been ramping up the complexety of their stories. DC has also been making their stories more complex w/ Superman/ Batman Public enemies, and the new Blackest night story (I'm sure there are others but I haven't really been very up on DC as of late). It's funny that these "funny books", "modern fairytales", and "kid's stories" are getting as complex as some of the greatest stories ever told. Thus they are fast becoming some of the best modern literature.

That Sasquatch is beautiful. I am deeply impressed by it.

I was at a party last night talking about reading with a fellow employee of mine (I also used to run the writing center on campus, and I hadn't seen this guy since I fired him several years ago). We were talking about how I should probably be reading more high-brow stuff (and in my defense, I am reading Sherman Alexie's new book right now) but that I can't stop using the school's inter-library loan system to check out graphic novels.

Who's torso, and arms did you use for Dr Strange? I recognize the Namor head, and legs like I used on mine but the arms, and torso aren't the same. I was trying you find a torso, and arms like that for mine but couldn't so I made his tunic out of cloth. I'll tell you that was a royal pain trying to stitch it just small enough it didn't hang off like a dress, and big enough to go over his body. The cape looks pretty good (not a fan of plastic capes, but of course that is what Hasbro would be giving us). What did you use for the eye? I used a hole punched piece of .01 styrene, but yours looks much more 3D.

Namor's head & legs.

Green Goblin's torso.

Electro's arms.

Moonknight's cloak with DCIH Star Sapphire's collar.

Ronin's sash belt.

Star Wars medal.

That Sasquatch is beautiful. I am deeply impressed by it.

I was at a party last night talking about reading with a fellow employee of mine (I also used to run the writing center on campus, and I hadn't seen this guy since I fired him several years ago). We were talking about how I should probably be reading more high-brow stuff (and in my defense, I am reading Sherman Alexie's new book right now) but that I can't stop using the school's inter-library loan system to check out graphic novels.

More high brow? Has he read any comics in the last 30 years? Civil War was about government having too much power. I mean everyone either had to register, stop their actions or they'd be arrested. It didn't matter if they were helping or killing people. Dark Reign, and Seige are about the dark side of corporate, and political interaction. Though as of late more crooked polititians have been getting caught so it seems like they don't get away with as much any more. Allot of the more modern story lines are more about making the "fantasy" universes of comics more deeply connected to the real world.

On a customs related note I've been thinking about making Ogun and Samurai Wolvie, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a Samurai/ Ninja body that might work better than the Hand/ Ronin (though this is the one I'm considering for Ogun), and GI Joe 25 Storm Shadow molds? I might just outfit a street cloths Logan, or maskless tiger stripe Logan w/ a robe, and armor for his. I was really disappointed that they didn't touch on his time in Japan in last years line but I guess they were saving that for 2012. (I think that is when XMOW 2 is scheduled to come out)

in response to some people asking about paints and stuff.

i use testors model master acrylics, and tamiya acrylics. if you use a cheap brand i have noticed they tend to flake off. also, DON"T use enamel paint on these figures, that stuff is for hard plastics like transformers. it will leave your figure tacky and sticky. its also good to finely sand the parts and wash them with soap before painting. it will help the paint stay.

you are all doing very well with your customs, its nice to see so many characters that i wouldnt even have thought of making. its nice to know all the obscure figures that you everyone likes.

in response to some people asking about paints and stuff.

i use testors model master acrylics, and tamiya acrylics. if you use a cheap brand i have noticed they tend to flake off. also, DON"T use enamel paint on these figures, that stuff is for hard plastics like transformers. it will leave your figure tacky and sticky. its also good to finely sand the parts and wash them with soap before painting. it will help the paint stay.

you are all doing very well with your customs, its nice to see so many characters that i wouldnt even have thought of making. its nice to know all the obscure figures that you everyone likes.

You're right about the tackiness. However if you use it as a base coat to esentially dye the joints, and then go over the non moving areas w/ acrylics the tackiness is covered.

Steve- Love the Dr. Strange.

Okay, here's the next custom I'm posting. Hopefully this one doesn't provoke such a heated discussion. The last one was fun to read though.

Orson Randall, the Iron Fist of the pulp age! He's pretty simple, but I like him.

Parts list: Black dragon Iron Fist head & torso, yellow dragon IF legs, Indiana Jones arms, Cheep-American-soldier-from-fodder-bin coat, green shirt belt & hands, Pirates of the Caribbean Elizabeth Swan holsters, and Wild Bill (I think) guns. Whew!

Thanks for the input guys! I've come to really appreciate a lot of the work posted here- and both of you guys (Onyx and Powerman) have inspired me with your own recipes.

Hermion- I definitely prefer the Human Torch legs on the Black Spider-Man body. For this figure, the ankles were more helpful in getting Orson to hold a pose- especially with the added weight of the coat.

Hi there!

Well, I had an extra Ms Marvel, and although this is a project I've tried before, this time I wanted to attempt to hand make a fiery phoenix base for her to stand on. Recipe follows:

001.jpg

012.jpg

011-2.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

So, she started as Ms Marvel's body and hair. The face is from the Jean Grey figure, with the mask sanded down. Once she was prepped for the operating room, I painted her using various Testors Model Master Acryl and Games Workshop colors. Silver was first, then the translucent green and yellow. The hair was painted Scab Red and highlighted with International Orange. The lips were painted silver and clear red for a shiny look. The flaming Phoenix was made from scratch, and added to the Jean Grey figure base. Lastly, the tiny triangle on her belt was cut from a stencil sheet and painted with clear yellow.

Thanks for your time!