DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there!

Well, I had an extra Ms Marvel, and although this is a project I've tried before, this time I wanted to attempt to hand make a fiery phoenix base for her to stand on. Recipe follows:

001.jpg

012.jpg

011-2.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

So, she started as Ms Marvel's body and hair. The face is from the Jean Grey figure, with the mask sanded down. Once she was prepped for the operating room, I painted her using various Testors Model Master Acryl and Games Workshop colors. Silver was first, then the translucent green and yellow. The hair was painted Scab Red and highlighted with International Orange. The lips were painted silver and clear red for a shiny look. The flaming Phoenix was made from scratch, and added to the Jean Grey figure base. Lastly, the tiny triangle on her belt was cut from a stencil sheet and painted with clear yellow.

Thanks for your time!

Sorry I missed this today! This is excellent work bro! Much better than your previous!

The figure itself looks VERY nice, but I personally think the base lets it down. Hot glue at that scale just does not work as a sculpting medium, and I don't think that effect could be effectively pulled off without sculpting and casting in clear resin. As it is, it looks like a pile of hot glue and twist ties in a vaguely pterodactyl-like shape. Compared to the craftsmanship on the figure itself the base just fails to transcend the medium.

Like some of you, when I saw Strike Team Wolvie I saw the potential for a Forge. When I started on him though, making a figure that made me think of the maker and not Wolverine with a different head was a bit of a challenge. This guy was a lot of fun. I decided to get creative and make him as I'd picture him in the workshop.

Ah- 1 more thing- I've since colored his belt to match his goggles better.

I've been working on a few customs, mainly because I bought some figure lots and wound up with extras of a few figures. Got a Showdown Human Torch, but I liked the SDCC one with black lines and the Secret Wars Johnny head. My Secret Wars Johnny body has the android Torch's head on it. Little switch there, but I like them both better now. Anyone else do that? Anyway, my new Showdown Torch looked liked a damn strawberry, so I painted him up like Firelord. I might repaint him, because I'm not happy with the colors the way they are. He needs gold highlights, I think.

FL1.jpg

FL2.jpg

Any suggestions?

Also, I finally got around to my Nick Fury. I couldn't justify spending a hundred and twenty-five dollars on the mail-away on eBay, so I did a headswap with an extra Reed. I would consider a G.I.Joe head, but my local Wal-Mart has no more Marvel figures and only a handful of Joes. The next nearest store is in Vegas, about an hour and a half drive away. I need to make do with what's on-hand, which isn't much. I don't consider my customs to be on the level of quality as many others here, but I consider them pretty good for the budget.

Fury1.jpg

Fury2.jpg

That's the Abomination about to squash poor Fury there. I love that Marvel Legends Abomination, he really is awesome. I did a scale test and he's actually too short, even though he looks huge. We all know the MU Hulk figures are too small, but the Abomination is supposed to be over 16 feet tall, according to Marvel Universe online. This one looks about perfect, sculpt and scale, and I highly recommend picking one up if you do not have one already.

I've been working on a few customs, mainly because I bought some figure lots and wound up with extras of a few figures. Got a Showdown Human Torch, but I liked the SDCC one with black lines and the Secret Wars Johnny head. My Secret Wars Johnny body has the android Torch's head on it. Little switch there, but I like them both better now. Anyone else do that? Anyway, my new Showdown Torch looked liked a damn strawberry, so I painted him up like Firelord. I might repaint him, because I'm not happy with the colors the way they are. He needs gold highlights, I think.

FL1.jpg

FL2.jpg

Any suggestions?

Also, I finally got around to my Nick Fury. I couldn't justify spending a hundred and twenty-five dollars on the mail-away on eBay, so I did a headswap with an extra Reed. I would consider a G.I.Joe head, but my local Wal-Mart has no more Marvel figures and only a handful of Joes. The next nearest store is in Vegas, about an hour and a half drive away. I need to make do with what's on-hand, which isn't much. I don't consider my customs to be on the level of quality as many others here, but I consider them pretty good for the budget.

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 763 ] - Click to view full image

That's the Abomination about to squash poor Fury there. I love that Marvel Legends Abomination, he really is awesome. I did a scale test and he's actually too short, even though he looks huge. We all know the MU Hulk figures are too small, but the Abomination is supposed to be over 16 feet tall, according to Marvel Universe online. This one looks about perfect, sculpt and scale, and I highly recommend picking one up if you do not have one already.

He does look good, but I agree repaint the yellow, gold. Your Nick Fury looks good too.

Last but not least, I just finished the second custom in my Sinister Six line-up: Mysterio. Man, was this a #^$% to do. He's made from a Moon Knight body & cape, minus the belt, and with a marble representing his fishbowl helmet. The gauntlets and the cape's eye-clasps are just pieces of plastic cut from a Secret Wars blister pack. The most difficult part was painting the lines across his suit. I could have done a cleaner job here, but it looks a fair bit like the original Ditko version, which is what I was going for anyway. So far, this is the custom I am most happy with.

Mysterio1.jpg

Mysterio2.jpg

My wife took all the photos above with a Nikon D90, and they look a lot better than the ones I've been snapping from my Droid.

My next project is Vulture. Anyone have any suggestions for obtaining a bald, septuagenarian head? I am just not ready to do the kind of sculpting some of you guys are doing. (Onyx)