MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mighty Yellowjacket. Using plastic putty, a Mr. Fantastic body and a Guardian head

Close up

DSCN1133.jpg

Full body shot

DSCN1134.jpg

Alongside Janet

DSCN1135.jpg

Next to his Marvel Legends version standing in for his giant form

DSCN1130.jpg

Hank and Janet standing in front of their altered sized forms (I painted the mini Wasp that came in the Secret Wars Doom/Absorbing Man pack in the colors of her costume same as my previous custom)

DSCN1136.jpg

Hey good work on Hank bro. I have one suggestion though. For flat areas like the "wings" try using some plastic sheet. Either styrene or ABS will work. For his I'd suggest .03". It is thin enough to be cut w/ scissors, while being stiff enough to not fall all over the place.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. However, the plastic putty hardens and stiffens up pretty nicely while allowing some bendability w/o the worry of paint rubbing or chipping (it's actually made by the same people that make the paint I use). It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but I figured out how to work it and cut and smooth it so that it works.

The only reason I mentioned t was the roughness on the flat areas. It probably is totally unnoticable in person but it shows up in the pics as areas where the light reflects differently. The plastic sheets are totally smooth. This is one I'm working on myself the only problem that I'm having is trying to decide if I should try to cut the chest to fit the wing or cut the wing to fit the chest. I've got several different projects going on right now, and 2 of them use the Guardian body (Blackbolt, and Yellowjacket)but I only have one Guardian aside from the one I'm leaving alone. Another project is Rescue,

Rescue.jpg

Then there's Shang Chi (using 25th anni Quickkick), Falcon (using Piledriver), New Goblin (using the roc red ninja), and a couple others.

Hey good work on Hank bro. I have one suggestion though. For flat areas like the "wings" try using some plastic sheet. Either styrene or ABS will work. For his I'd suggest .03". It is thin enough to be cut w/ scissors, while being stiff enough to not fall all over the place.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. However, the plastic putty hardens and stiffens up pretty nicely while allowing some bendability w/o the worry of paint rubbing or chipping (it's actually made by the same people that make the paint I use). It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but I figured out how to work it and cut and smooth it so that it works.

what type of paint do you use?...and does it take multiple layers?...like most thin acrylics?

what type of paint do you use?...and does it take multiple layers?...like most thin acrylics?

It's Acrylicos Vallejos. Good stuff. As for layers, well, it depends on the colors and how thick or thin I have it (I use thinner and for some of the thicker paints I'll put in a little water). The darker the color, the less I have to use, whereas the lighter colors sometimes require an extra layer or two.

They look really good.

Here's my latest custom. Moonknight w/ armor. It is really lazy I know but I think it drastically improves his look.

052.jpg

This next pic is an in process sneak peek at Falcon, and Protocide.

053.jpg

Did you have to 'dremel' the arms or shoulders to fit with moon knight(i assume that is mk's shoulders with white hand ninjas arms?)

Tiger you have the best ideas on making figures. Not only did I get my Blade figure ideas from you but I made Ultimate Hawkeye using your advise as well. Your Nick Fury is awesome!!

100_3260.jpg

I also took Electro and decided that I hated the way his masked looked with the goofy lightning bolts sticking out. I cut the bottom ones off and glued the others ones to his head. It actually looks awesome one the side because it looks like they are sculpted to his mask. I also cut off the lighting on his elbows.

100_3262.jpg

Blade is the ML head shrunk down for Marvel Universe from Tri-gate that I got from Oynx. The head apparently didn't turn out good out of the mold but oh well.

100_3344.jpg

This is a Team I made for a Marvel Universe Role Playing Game that I used to play with my two brothers and best friends that are based on us, if we were mutants that is haha. I got heads that looked like us in real life. The figure in the middle with the coat is my character ''Rage'' and he has powers like X-Man or Cable. The character in the trench goat with glasses is my best friend Travis who had powers like Gambit and had the code name ''Wildcard''. The figure with big arms is my brother Brian who had the code name ''Rampage'' and had powers like Strong Guy. The one with the armor and gauntlets is my younger brother Matt who went by the code name ''Livewire'' and had electricity powers and had to use that suit to control them. We actually had that idea before Surge was ever created and actually got the idea from Havok. Anyway we still play the game sometimes and I figured it would make the game more fun if we had figures of ourselves. The chick in the blonde is just a random character with abilities like Magma but the Natalie Portman head is what I use for my girlfriend because believe it or not they resemble each other ALOT.

We went by the name Team-X, and I seriously came up with that name before the Wolverine, Sabertooth, Maverick team came out, I had that name like back in fourth grade haha.

100_3221.jpg

100_3225.jpg

100_3226.jpg

They look really good.

Here's my latest custom. Moonknight w/ armor. It is really lazy I know but I think it drastically improves his look.

052.jpg

This next pic is an in process sneak peek at Falcon, and Protocide.

053.jpg

Did you have to 'dremel' the arms or shoulders to fit with moon knight(i assume that is mk's shoulders with white hand ninjas arms?)

Nope no Dremeling. I just popped them on. I may need to do some work to the shoulders though because they were popping off when I was moving them last night but it might have been because the pegs were still warm. I just checked them and they still popped off but I pushed them on a little further, and they seemed to stay on better. I'll just need to keep an eye on them. The parts that really had me worried were the T bar ball, and sockets in the hips. They looked like the balls were too big to go in the legs, but after soaking them for a few minutes in hot water they popped right on. I like the bigger feet the Hand Ninjas have as it keeps him better balanced, and he isn't falling over backwards.

Hey Riddick Team-X looks pretty good. I've been contemplating making a set of figures based on the characters in a comic that I'm working on w/ a friend of mine. Though it'll be ALLOT of scratch work since most of them are from other planets, and some don't look even remotely human.