MU Customs

DarthOnyx

I need an opinion guys.

I'm working on an Astonishing Emma Frost (this will complete the team minus Beast considering Kitty and Colossus were official products). So far my recipe includes a Ms. Marvel body, I'm gonna swap out the feet w/ an ROC Baroness, custom make the cape.

My only problem is the head. I can use an ROC Baroness head, but the cheekbones look wonky. I have a spare Scarlett head (minus hair) and can give it Ms. Marvel hair or something. I'm just not sure. What do you guys think? I kinda wanna go the Scarlett Head/Ms. Marvel hair route, cause that will mean no painting really except Scarlett's eyebrows, but I did that route for my Psylocke custom. I'm not sure. Then again, my X-23 is just a straight up Ms. Marvel Repaint, head and all, w/ some Wolverine Claws glued onto the hands and feet.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice choice Cover girl will work well.

Thanks Brymstone. Yes. Just pulled the head out of boiling water and stuck it on the neck to mold it so that it'll fit...Gosh, that sounds kinda morbid...

Oh well. Ran out and got white fabric for the cape/cloak and hopefully will have it finished before the weekend is over. Than I'll take pics of my Astonishing X-Men sans Beast who is just to hard to do from scratch for my skills. Would love to have an MU style of him though

Astonishing X-Men sans Beast:

DSCN1357.jpg

My three Custom Astonishing X-Men (Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost):

DSCN1359.jpg

Cyclops:

DSCN1361.jpg

Recipe:

Head/Torso/Hands/Feet-Comic Two-Pack Cyclops (used the Dark Phoenix one)

Arms/Legs/Bands-Union Jack

I've actually been contemplating using some else's arms and legs, if not possibly redoing it slightly because currently (and this is really more or less the fault of Hasbro's design team) Cyclops is pretty much the same height as Wolverine, and I was thinking possibly using an extra Havok body I have (used the head for my Angel custom). It's the Black Suit Spidey body, but it's a smidge taller than others so it'd give Wolverine a better scale sense amongst his teammates.

But for now I'm content.

Emma Frost:

DSCN1368.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

Recipe:

Torso/Arms/Legs-Ms. Marvel

Head-G.I. Joe ROC Cover Girl w/ Ms. Marvel hair

Feet-G.I. Joe ROC Baroness

Cape was custom made and the glues on, given extra room for posability.

Next up: WHITE PHOENIX

Well, I had a flurry of inspiration over the past few days, so here's my latest custom:

The Super-Adaptoid!

Adaptoid01.jpg

The devious, self-aggrandizing android created by AIM, originally designed to kill Captain America, it later battled the X-Men and the Avengers.

Adaptoid02.jpg

When I was looking for reference pictures, I found a pin-up of Great Avengers Foes, and Super-Adaptoid was featured much more prominently than I would have anticipated.

Adaptoid03.jpg

Here's the recipe:

Head & Quiver: SW Hawkeye

Wings: DCIH Hawkman

Upper Torso: SW Iron Man

Arms, Lower Torso & Shield: FA Captain America

Legs: SW Piledriver (I wanted to suggest that he was copying Giant-Man's powers, thus some extra height)

This was mainly an exercise in finding a use for an extra Iron Man, and I was at Target and they had all the other fodder I needed, so I threw it together. It also gave me an opportunity to try the new torso-cracking method I read about on HISSTank.

More to come.

Cyclops:

Recipe:

I've actually been contemplating using some else's arms and legs, if not possibly redoing it slightly because currently (and this is really more or less the fault of Hasbro's design team) Cyclops is pretty much the same height as Wolverine, and I was thinking possibly using an extra Havok body I have (used the head for my Angel custom). It's the Black Suit Spidey body, but it's a smidge taller than others so it'd give Wolverine a better scale sense amongst his teammates.

But for now I'm content.

Emma Frost:

Recipe:

Cape was custom made and the glues on, given extra room for posability.

I really like how your Cyclops and Emma Frost came out. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into them, and the head choice with Emma just came out great. Your paint apps are also well done- I know how hard it can be to make white and yellow look good, and you abolutely made them do just that.

Well, I had a flurry of inspiration over the past few days, so here's my latest custom:

The Super-Adaptoid!

The devious, self-aggrandizing android created by AIM, originally designed to kill Captain America, it later battled the X-Men and the Avengers.

When I was looking for reference pictures, I found a pin-up of Great Avengers Foes, and Super-Adaptoid was featured much more prominently than I would have anticipated.

Here's the recipe:

Head & Quiver: SW Hawkeye

Wings: DCIH Hawkman

Upper Torso: SW Iron Man

Arms, Lower Torso & Shield: FA Captain America

Legs: SW Piledriver (I wanted to suggest that he was copying Giant-Man's powers, thus some extra height)

This was mainly an exercise in finding a use for an extra Iron Man, and I was at Target and they had all the other fodder I needed, so I threw it together. It also gave me an opportunity to try the new torso-cracking method I read about on HISSTank.

More to come.

I like this! I keep considering one as well- I don't really need multiples of the same armor for Iron Man, and this seems like a fun project.

It also gave me an opportunity to try the new torso-cracking method I read about on HISSTank.

More to come.

What new torso cracking method. I'd love to know this. I've tried a few and none seem to come out right for me.

Cyclops:

Recipe:

But for now I'm content.

Emma Frost:

Recipe:

Cape was custom made and then glued on, given extra room for posability.

I really like how your Cyclops and Emma Frost came out. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into them, and the head choice with Emma just came out great. Your paint apps are also well done- I know how hard it can be to make white and yellow look good, and you absolutely made them do just that.

Thanks Guido. Currently working on Astonishing Cyclops version 2 using the Havok body like I said. Actually turning out just as nice.

If you want, what I used was the Acrylicos Vallejo model paints, the Dark Flesh and Flat Yellow mixed to get this shade of yellow and it worked great. Same model paints, but the regular Prussian Blue and the Dark Prussian Blue mixed got me the blue I used for Cyke and Wolverine.

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I'm glad to be part of this nice forum!

Been customizing for quite awhile so I decided to join in so I can share my humble creations with you guys...

First up here's my 90% finished RED Skull custom made from ROC Destro...

I started by by building up his brows and cheeks little by little with epoxy putty, then I lobbed off Destro's lips using a rotary tool then added some epoxy putty and sculpted on the teeth. Finally I drilled a hole on where his nose was supposed to be and reshaped the jaw and the cheeks to make a more convincing skull.

I tried to emulate the one from the Invaders boxed set, but I ended up making a more anatomically correct skull since ROC Destro's head isn't irregularly shaped like the MU Red skull has, Hence I 'd like to think of him as my "Movie Version Red Skull".

I still have to add that NAZI Arm band, and probably some trinkets and he's all set, I was just too excited to show him off, that I decided to take shots even if he's still just "semi- Finished".

Some solo posing:

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Great work guys! Welcome aboard Amur. Hey Joe, what's ur Wolverine recipe?

Recipe:

Target Two-Pack Wolverine

Secret Wars Wolverine

XMOW Astonishing Wolverine

Instructions:

I used the Target Two Pack Wolverine for this reason only: painted around the tiger stripes in blue and then painted the tiger stripes yellow. Simple as that. Though if you're much more sure of your free form skills, it works with any Wolverine. For his head, I used the Secret Wars two-pack Wolverine since his Astonishing costume has slightly smaller horns than most of his other ones in the past (or his current ones). For the bands on his gloves and the back of his boots, as well as his shoulder pads (and I used this to fill in the holes left by the shoulder pads from the two-pack Wolverine if you go that route), I used plastic putty. For colors, I used the Acrylicos Vallejos model paints. Dark Prussian Blue and Regular Prussian Blue for the blue (DPB was too dark, RPB was too light). For the right shade of yellow, I used the Flat Yellow and Dark Flesh. Each had an about equal ratio. Maybe a drop or two more of the Yellow. Same mixture was used to achieve Cyclop's colors. For the belt buckle, I had a spare XMOW Astonishing Wolverine, and if you can bring yourself to do it, I chopped him up, stole the belt buckle, and sanded down the back of it and glued it on.

Let dry and apply a coat of matte varnish/finish on it, and you're done after letting that dry. No real disassembly required. Just a head swap really.

Serves fun for all :)

Retractable claws would be cool but would be really hard at this scale. I'd be ok with all the Wolverine figures coming with an extra pair of claw-less hands that you could swap out.

It also gave me an opportunity to try the new torso-cracking method I read about on HISSTank.

More to come.

What new torso cracking method. I'd love to know this. I've tried a few and none seem to come out right for me.

Cyclops:

Recipe:

But for now I'm content.

Emma Frost:

Recipe:

Cape was custom made and then glued on, given extra room for posability.

I really like how your Cyclops and Emma Frost came out. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into them, and the head choice with Emma just came out great. Your paint apps are also well done- I know how hard it can be to make white and yellow look good, and you absolutely made them do just that.

Thanks Guido. Currently working on Astonishing Cyclops version 2 using the Havok body like I said. Actually turning out just as nice.

If you want, what I used was the Acrylicos Vallejo model paints, the Dark Flesh and Flat Yellow mixed to get this shade of yellow and it worked great. Same model paints, but the regular Prussian Blue and the Dark Prussian Blue mixed got me the blue I used for Cyke and Wolverine.

Thanks man- That is helpful info!

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I'm glad to be part of this nice forum!

Been customizing for quite awhile so I decided to join in so I can share my humble creations with you guys...

First up here's my 90% finished RED Skull custom made from ROC Destro...

I started by by building up his brows and cheeks little by little with epoxy putty, then I lobbed off Destro's lips using a rotary tool then added some epoxy putty and sculpted on the teeth. Finally I drilled a hole on where his nose was supposed to be and reshaped the jaw and the cheeks to make a more convincing skull.

I tried to emulate the one from the Invaders boxed set, but I ended up making a more anatomically correct skull since ROC Destro's head isn't irregularly shaped like the MU Red skull has, Hence I 'd like to think of him as my "Movie Version Red Skull".

I still have to add that NAZI Arm band, and probably some trinkets and he's all set, I was just too excited to show him off, that I decided to take shots even if he's still just "semi- Finished".

Some solo posing:

This is an Idea, I've had in my head for a while. What if? Red Skull got a hold of Stark (Ironman) Tech.

Red Skull (Power Armor)

[http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/Order66Customs/Redskull3.jpg/img]

These are great guys! Very sharp looking Red Skulls!