MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like it's been forever since I've been an active poster on these boards. I enjoy this forum, even though I can't get on as often now I use to. I'm going to show you guys what I've been up to:

5589939857_2c40c6c814.jpg

I got married in September and life's been crazy-busy since then. I got a new job with weird hours, and time for customs and comic-related stuff has been reduced since all of these changes have taken place. I'm a very blessed man though. My wife is amazing. She tolerates my figures, and has even lent me a hand on a couple of customs. She wanted me to make our cake toppers, and really liked how they turned out. She even let's me display what she refers to as my "little guys" out in the living room, and reads comics with me.

5589940281_40e468354a.jpg

I know these aren't MU customs, but her cake topper's face was taken from a Showdown Invisible Woman, so it counts. :P BTW, one day, I'm replacing those arms with something, well, less simian. I'm open to ideas.

Also, a custom I've neglected to post for some time. Doc Ock, using the fantastic Showdown base:

5402849977_782fb26355.jpg

5403449576_779f9de188.jpg

5403449678_f04ab0996f.jpg

This was such a simple custom- once I was able to figure out how to securely attatch these uber-large tentacles to him. I really like how he turned out. The poses with these monsters are a lot of fun. They're able to carry the good doctor's weight, as well as that of a "passenger."

Also, a custom I've neglected to post for some time. Doc Ock, using the fantastic Showdown base:

This was such a simple custom- once I was able to figure out how to securely attatch these uber-large tentacles to him. I really like how he turned out. The poses with these monsters are a lot of fun. They're able to carry the good doctor's weight, as well as that of a "passenger."

Nice work on the customs. Glad to hear your wife supports your hobby man, thats a sign of true love.

Looks good bro! Welcome back!

Nice work on the customs. Glad to hear your wife supports your hobby man, thats a sign of true love.

Thanks Onyx and TxHiro. :)

Hey so I had a quick question, I wanted to try at a custom... my first one! haha. What's the easiest way to detach and reattach elbow and knee joints?

Heat the plastic and then use a pointed object to push the "pin" out. I've used a blowdryer to do it, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Sweet thanks, I'm gonna try this.

When you guys paint, what do you use? And do you prim it first, then paint, then seal it? Ever use spray paint? haha as you can see I'm quite clueless

personally I use testors model masters acryl paints...any good acrylic paint will do, so long as it's not the cheap walmart craft paints or anything. You don't always have to prime your figures, though it can help greatly depending on the color you want to lay down. Remember to use multiple thin coats when painting, it gives a smoother look and better coverage when you're done. I haven't sealed any figures or used spray paint, but there are tons of really great tutorials on the net when it comes to painting figures. Good luck with your first custom, and always remember, there are a lot of really great customizers on here and over at O.P.P. that are always willing to offer advice :)

When you guys paint, what do you use? And do you prim it first, then paint, then seal it? Ever use spray paint? haha as you can see I'm quite clueless

personally I use testors model masters acryl paints...any good acrylic paint will do, so long as it's not the cheap walmart craft paints or anything. You don't always have to prime your figures, though it can help greatly depending on the color you want to lay down. Remember to use multiple thin coats when painting, it gives a smoother look and better coverage when you're done. I haven't sealed any figures or used spray paint, but there are tons of really great tutorials on the net when it comes to painting figures. Good luck with your first custom, and always remember, there are a lot of really great customizers on here and over at O.P.P. that are always willing to offer advice :)

Thanks a ton man! I know I'm over at OPP a lot too looking at everyone's amazing work. They are so good over there! haha. I'll prob pick up some of that paint then. Maybe for this first time since I don't have teh paints I'll just use some spray paint and see what happens :p haha. I'll be sure to post pictures of this horrendous piece of work! If this website ever lets me post pictures!

Acrylics! Use acrylic paint. Stay away from enamels. I've used Tamiya Acrylics, Citadel, P3, Vallejo and Model Master Acrylic. So far I have had the most success with Citadel and Model Master. Im starting to like Model Master paints more and more each time I use them.

I've airbrushed before and its just a pain in the ass. I say grab a good set of red sable brushes and start painting by hand.

As far as priming goes its up to you but not necessary. I usually prime if I am painting lighter colors (whites/yellows). Just make sure before you lay down any paint you clean the figure thoroughly with dish soap. That will help with the adhesion of the paint.

Sealer is optional as well. I've used acrylic sealer before and didn't notice a difference.

Good luck man! Lets see your first custom!

Alright, so JayC helped me out and now I can finally post some pictures! haha. I'm not at home right not but when I am I'll take some pics and show you this very... special.... custom! :p. And by custom I mean pretty bad haha. But I'll show off it's horrendousness in pride knowing it's my first one!

But in the mean time! I wanted to show what I like to do. I didn't know where to post this, but since this thread is "customs" I'll consider this my custom iron man :p. I'm pretty big into sketching and such so I sketched up this sort of Iron Man bust. For some reason the picture comes up to the side... weird. So let me know what you think! I can't decide what to do next, thor, or deadpool!

post-26301-1302212043_thumb.jpg