MU Customs

DarthOnyx

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys. Heres my attempt at a Super Skrull , used a regular skrull soldier , just a repaint really and got one of those GL movie toy and used the hand/arm energy projection thingie , a few hours later and here you go.DSC_0455.jpg">DSC_0456.jpg">">DSC_0460.jpg">DSC_0459.jpg">DSC_0458.jpg">

BTW awesome Bishop Head cast Onyx.

Awesome work man! Just stellar. This, I think, is the paint job you've done.

Love the way the team looks together. Lot's of great work here. Maestro and The Fallen are my favorites out of this group, but all of them look fantastic.

Just some What if alternate reality crew I'm putting together....

Not the "Exiles":

'The Forgotten/ The Erased'

from older Shattered Realms or erased timelines...

a custom group of mine...

The Fallen (Mutant X), Ragnarok (Thor clone), IronMan 2020, The Inhuman Torch (House of M),

Spiderman 2099, Noir Spiderman (Noir Reality), Maestro (Future Hulk after the bomb), Sunfire (Age of Apocalypse),

Skulking Thing :The deep one mutant (Cthulhu Mythos/ atomic bomb Godzilla style original concept)

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

Hey Onyx. First of all I would like to say that I am a long time fan of your work. Completely unbelievable stuff. I literally bought a Wrecker, determined to do my first custom, as soon as I saw your classic Bishop head.

I've been thinking of doing this for a long time, though and wanted to ask some questions and give a few requests. First, I was thinking that the best customs are usually the easiest. The low hanging fruit if you will. So I was wondering if you were planning on casting heads for Cannonball and Forge anytime soon? Cannonball on the Ghost Rider body seems like as much of a no-brainer as Forge on the Xavier's School Wolverine...

Second, considering that the two first customs I will be doing will be the X-Force Archangel and Bishop, and X-Men in general seem to be always in style, I was wondering if you'd ever given any consideration to casting a circular, little "X" emblem? I notice that most X-Men wear this somewhere such as on belt buckles in the case of Bishop or Archangel, or on the chest like modern Cyclops and Wolverine. It could also be retro-fitted on characters like modern Havok, for instance, as his details are painted on.

Third, I was wondering if you could she'd some light on your process for popping MU torsos and putting them back together. I've seen lots of stuff on the boil and pop, but not much regarding splitting the torso to retrieve shoulders. I basically ruined that first Wrecker by trying to pop him in a vice. This is of course assuming that you take these apart completely to paint them, is that correct. Any kind of tutorials you could direct me to would be very appreciated.

Anyway, thank you so much for letting me pick your brain. I hope you don't mind. and of course keep up the amazing work.

Hey Onyx. First of all I would like to say that I am a long time fan of your work. Completely unbelievable stuff. I literally bought a Wrecker, determined to do my first custom, as soon as I saw your classic Bishop head.

I've been thinking of doing this for a long time, though and wanted to ask some questions and give a few requests. First, I was thinking that the best customs are usually the easiest. The low hanging fruit if you will. So I was wondering if you were planning on casting heads for Cannonball and Forge anytime soon? Cannonball on the Ghost Rider body seems like as much of a no-brainer as Forge on the Xavier's School Wolverine...

Second, considering that the two first customs I will be doing will be the X-Force Archangel and Bishop, and X-Men in general seem to be always in style, I was wondering if you'd ever given any consideration to casting a circular, little "X" emblem? I notice that most X-Men wear this somewhere such as on belt buckles in the case of Bishop or Archangel, or on the chest like modern Cyclops and Wolverine. It could also be retro-fitted on characters like modern Havok, for instance, as his details are painted on.

Third, I was wondering if you could she'd some light on your process for popping MU torsos and putting them back together. I've seen lots of stuff on the boil and pop, but not much regarding splitting the torso to retrieve shoulders. I basically ruined that first Wrecker by trying to pop him in a vice. This is of course assuming that you take these apart completely to paint them, is that correct. Any kind of tutorials you could direct me to would be very appreciated.

Anyway, thank you so much for letting me pick your brain. I hope you don't mind. and of course keep up the amazing work.

Thanks bro! Ok, now on to your questions:

I may do those heads, Cannonball and/or Forge if I can find the proper base head or if anyone already did them and wants them cast.

As for the X emblem, yes I have considered it many times and even made some for a Cable commission I did a while back. The main issue is, for the symbols being so small, how would I market it. and at what price range so as to be reasonable. 2 per pack, 5 per pack? It's still something that is being worked over.

Lastly, the cracking of torso. Here's what I do. I put the figure in a big pot with lots of water and let it boil for like 10-15 minutes. (always be mindful of you water level) The longer you boil it, the less work you have to do. Then, using a large fork or tongs, I remove it from the water and instantly use a large flat-head screwdriver inserted between the upper and lower torso, twist the screwdriver. You hear it start to crack or pop. No need to try to do it all at once because the figure will start cooling again. Place it back in the hot water and keep repeating until you have cracked the parts completely. Sometimes you have to place it back in the hot water 3-4 times. Make sure when you insert the screwdriver, you try to get it into the space in the upper torso where the little slide piece goes. If you separate the top from the bottom in this process, you can still crack both by inserting your screwdriver in the spaces provided in the top of the lower half and the bottom of the upper half. Good luck.

Just letting you know, Onyx, that selling the X emblem in bulk is absolutely worth it. It's an essential accessory to so many characters and I can tell you for a fact that I'd buy them if they were in a set of maybe 5 or so.

haha maybe a set of 4 fantastic 4 emblems too. maybe 5 since that roster is always changing in some fashion.

I'll see what I can do! Damn now I know how Santa feels!

As for paints, any but the Walmart crap will work.

Good to know thanks Onyx!

Just dont use enamel paint. Acrylics are best. Ciditel paint or games workshop preferably if you have a gaming store near by that sells them.

Thanks TaliesinCrow, I hadn't thought about looking at gaming stores!

I did a similar custom but went with

A slightly oversized skull acc for the head, from a

older 6 inch and painted the suit red and black with a simple patch on the arm.

This is

Perfectly "cool as is" in my opinion.

Especially when you factor it is suppose to be a skull.

Trust me it definitely works, it's funny how many destros

Can easily convert to a decent red skull.

Keep it up.