MU Customs

DarthOnyx

Yeah, I've been sanding that thigh down to make it less...bulgy.

hey Onyx. have you tried extending the bottom part of the thigh so that the seam is still in the same spot close to the hip? if so, does it not look as good?

While I can't speak for Brian on this, I think the main reason why he does extensions of the upper thigh rather than the lower thigh is that it is easier for people to replace the upper thigh than the lower thigh.

The upper you just pop it off the body, and then pop it out of the lower thigh, and then pop the new upper thigh in, and paint.

Where as if he made new lower thighs they'd have to pop the lower thigh off, and then remove the pin from the knee (which is easy for those of us who are seasoned customizers, but a newer customizer might not want to take that chance), and then putting it all back together, and then paint.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@eddiehellman

I only use apoxie sculpt. The best thing to do is let it sit after you mix the two parts. I usually wait about 20-30 minutes. You can use water to smooth your sculpture. You can also quickly dip your sculpting tools in water to prevent them from sticking.

When I do hair I use an Exacto blade to create the streaks.

Hope that helps.

This came about in my attempts to make a Red Skull in scale with the other MUs. I was going to take-off the Cobra Insignia, but since I cross my universes anyway, I figure it would be a twist of M. Night Shamaylan proportions if Cobra Commander turned out to be actally the Red Skul:

304de522.jpg

At least now he is eye to eye with his long time nemesis:

6bf98935.jpg

I also did an X-Force Archangel and Domino, but you guys pretty well know what those look like at this point. The cool thing about the Archangel is I dyed the figure black which it took very well. I tried my best to insure a lack of paint rub by selecting figures that had a sympathetic color scheme to what I wanted or dying them.

Thanks so much! I'm sure I'll post em soon enough. I really wanna wait til I can get my hands on a decent camera and set up some nice displays, though. The presentation is super important. I spent sooo much time washing grey on the Fantomex trying to get him to kinda match the team set color scheme and you can't really see a lot of the detail in the phone pics.

I was just so stoked to show these off I couldn't wait. Plus, by the time my camera situation is taken care of I should have a few more things I'm working on done.

I'm really hoping Onyx can hook up heads for Cannonball and Forge as well as some "X" symbols, which I would use for Cyclops and possibly convert the Archangel to an Uncanny X-Force version.

@Onyx I don't know if your into getting suggestions but I've thought a lot about it and I think if you do the "X" symbols, it would be best to put a little nipple in the back. Fantomex's belt buckle came from Warpath's belt. It had the little nipple which kept it in place. We could just dremmel a small hole where we want it and voila! Make it a 5 pack with 3 big ones and 2 small ones for $8 and they will sell like hot cakes I promise!

Off the top of my head, upcoming Astonishing Wolverine, Astonishing Storm and Beast, Uncanny Archangel, and modern Cyclops could all benefit from this simple mod. It's like a gateway drug to customizing...